THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:40 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: Torture Test hand gun

Shooter

i was just thinking if you people would just come up with a Torture Test (a realistic one plz not like shooting 345000 bullets though a single gun ) some thing affordable and weather your fav trust-able dependable SD/HD gun can pass it
wat sort of a test you want your gun to be able to pass through with flying colors .

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Torture Test hand gun

How about firing 500 to 600 rounds in a day? No cleaning.

Little bit of moisture and water for a few rounds.
Some grime or grit, just a wee bit, for a few rounds.

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

six_shooter wrote:

for how many days?

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

ED,

This tendency of taking discussions off-topic needs to be addressed immediately.

Humour and fun is good at times, but not always. And if you're carrying extra loads of it, it may be dumped in the "humour and fun thread" in members' lounge. All off-topic posts have been deleted.

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

POF wrote:
six_shooter wrote:

for how many days?

Not sure really. If you want to see how it performs under these conditions just one day would be ok. Because it is a torture test. But if you want to test its life then off course over a couple of days. By the way don't the have some standards for testing these things. I know of the military testing Electronic equipment according to international Mil Spec and believe me they really give the equipment some good shakes. Like taking it to 70 C (1 hour) and then putting it in -40 C (1 hour), the whole thing being repeated for four cycles. Then drop test, and water immersion , and so many other things.
What say?

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Most of the gun manufacturers specially turkish since i have visited their sites a lot, usually print a whole list of torture tests they have put their weapons through. But I for one would not like to torture my weapons. Yes i have had the fever of firing a weapon 300-400 rds before cleaning it, or having shot max 250-300 rounds in one session, but i sure would not like to perform a drop test on my weapons or exposing my weapons to extreme hot and colds. 300-400 rounds in one session without a hiccup and a few session like that is more than enough to put my mind at ease.

Profile E-mail  

@ FK, I think what POF means here is the tests that one would prefer be performed on guns while in factory since he works for POF. Is that right POF?

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

repost plz del

Last edited by POF on Fri May 23, 2014 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

we (POF) have such thing well defined and we carry it on each lot of weapons( just randomly picked out of a lot) we call it endurance test
apart from that each weapon manufactured is fired test and tried . i am talking abt the machine guns and rifles and SMG this is the side where we POF is very strong and well established.
i was just asking on a personal level and no i shall not be performing any test in my factory i asked this question cause once i had to test a hand guns dont want to name the make and types (one of the very praised hand guns here on the forum) they had made very tall claims abt there product abt its reliability under certain conditions like temp water sand mud and stuff. so i decided to carry out same test again just to see how well it performs . as far as the firing is concerned it went great with a clean well lubricated gun it was a walk in the park but as soon and we started even showing it water or dust ,sand or mud it simply refused to function , it was like even if you have dropped you hand gun in a dusty ground or even worse sand you a goner you gun WILL jam.
so we carry different types of guns for sd with out know how will if function if you have to use it in bad conditions and stuff we just take the word of the manufacture

Profile E-mail  

Then my answer is the same as above. I mean my gun should be able to fire if a little bit of water or dust gets in to it.

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

Have you ever test your gun in such conditions?

Profile E-mail  

No I haven't. But I really want to.
Bothof my hand guns have enough rounds through them. Just want to do the dirt and water things.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

I can help you with it if you're up for the task this Sunday.
Make a list of tests that you would like to carry out, and the criteria for each test.

Profile E-mail  

@ NG, thanks I will draw a list but I am not sure if I can make it to the range this Sunday. But off course want to do some testing off course.

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

do share the results

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

POF wrote:
do share the results

For sure, as and when we get down to carrying it out ...
;)

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

The thing to think about, logically, is what a firearms might actually be exposed to in combat, if it is a firearms designed to be used such. A concealed carry civilian firearm should be able to function flawlessly through at least three reloads, be able to hit a man sized target at 25 yards, function upside down or sideways, be able to put up with rare maintenance or spotty cleaning, and be able to work if covered in lint from a dirty pocket or long ignored holster. Furthermore, the sighting system should allow quick acquisition of said target in pouring rain or sleeting snow, and be "grippy" enough not to "jump" out of a hand wet with water, snow, or motor oil. I say three magazine loads because most people don't carry more than that, at least over here, and most gunfights are actually over in less time than that. That's for a CCW pistol. A duty pistol, one meant to withstand the rigors of actual combat, (which is almost a misnomer since sidearms aren't a normal issue weapon to ground troops), should be able to take the number of round expended in a normal, patrol sized battle as well as all the ones above. It should also be extremely easy to maintain/field strip in a sub-optimal environment and be relatively simple to clean/maintain. Given that this firearm is supposed to be used in a military/law enforcement environment, it would enter it's competition clean and oiled from regular and proper maintenance.
A rifle meant for combat would need all the test including the ability to work in VERY sub-optimal conditions, snow, rain, mud, and fire a minimum of 500 rounds without jam in such conditions, simulating a firefight, be cleaned under field conditions, and repeat at least 5 times without fail. How does that sound?

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

I do have to add, that would be an expectation for normal usage, so a "torture" test, (misnomer if I ever heard one), would probably be about ten times as much, AKA test to failure. I believe the US Army's MRF, (mean rounds to failure), for handguns is 2 failures in 500 rounds. I might be wrong about that. But a torture test won't expose any weaknesses of normal usage, but what happens if you abuse something. If I drain the oil and water from my car and drive it at 100 miles an hour...it will fail. Probably spectacularly. The point is, for any rigorous testing, (better phrase), to have any meaning, it has to be mission specific, and have a point.

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

real torture tests are expensive and time consuming. Realistically a good pistol should be able to fire without failure thousands of rounds out of the box
http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?op ... id=90&Item

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

armoredman wrote:
The thing to think about, logically, is what a firearms might actually be exposed to in combat, if it is a firearms designed to be used such. A concealed carry civilian firearm should be able to function flawlessly through at least three reloads, be able to hit a man sized target at 25 yards, function upside down or sideways, be able to put up with rare maintenance or spotty cleaning, and be able to work if covered in lint from a dirty pocket or long ignored holster. Furthermore, the sighting system should allow quick acquisition of said target in pouring rain or sleeting snow, and be "grippy" enough not to "jump" out of a hand wet with water, snow, or motor oil. I say three magazine loads because most people don't carry more than that, at least over here, and most gunfights are actually over in less time than that. That's for a CCW pistol. A duty pistol, one meant to withstand the rigors of actual combat, (which is almost a misnomer since sidearms aren't a normal issue weapon to ground troops), should be able to take the number of round expended in a normal, patrol sized battle as well as all the ones above. It should also be extremely easy to maintain/field strip in a sub-optimal environment and be relatively simple to clean/maintain. Given that this firearm is supposed to be used in a military/law enforcement environment, it would enter it's competition clean and oiled from regular and proper maintenance.
A rifle meant for combat would need all the test including the ability to work in VERY sub-optimal conditions, snow, rain, mud, and fire a minimum of 500 rounds without jam in such conditions, simulating a firefight, be cleaned under field conditions, and repeat at least 5 times without fail. How does that sound?

Fully agree.

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

whihc handguns presently in market you would classify and millitary and civilians handguns?
like glock 17 , sig226 ,92fs cf98 b6 etc all subcompact can be classified as civilian and law enforcement but almost all std versions and tatical even compact are in use by the millitary

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

200-300 rounds must be fired without cleaning in one go.. plus one mag of +p+ ammo must be fired through it after that.. and a drop test should be performed on it.

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

the pistols which are in current use with armies can be called as military pistols..

Profile E-mail