THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:07 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: Re: COACHING for TGF's BEGINNER-LEVEL SHOOTERS | October 201

Master at Arms

LOL @ED
Glad to know
your sis didn't mind the kick and blast of a shotgun.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: COACHING for TGF's BEGINNER-LEVEL SHOOTERS | October 201

TGF Market Guru

Mind!!.. ..

lets just say I regret not buying Zaheer's tomahawk... :(

How was i supposed to know she would take to shotguns like a duck to water....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: COACHING for TGF's BEGINNER-LEVEL SHOOTERS | 2012

Site Admin

COACHING SESSION FOR TGF's NEWBIE HUNTERS

Last Sunday, our senior member Mr. Atiq Masan, graciously volunteered to hold a coaching session for the forum's newbie hunters. Albeit being a relatively short (30-min) session, it was full of learning - from stance, hold, lead to assessing the birds' flight path and how to properly align the gun to the flight path for the shot.

I would like to invite Atiq sb to further add to this post and would also like to wholeheartedly thank him on behalf of TGF members for taking out the time and helping fellow members by sharing his knowledge and experience with us.

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

It is becoming sort of a cliche but still I would like to say that the day was full of learning, I would especially like to thank SA and Atiq bhai for sharing their knowledge at the range a big thank you on behalf of my friends as well

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

A lot of discussion on shotgun shooting technique has already been done here.....

http://www.thegunforum.net/viewtopic.php?p=53695#p53695

and here....

http://www.thegunforum.net/viewtopic.php?p=53697#p53697

I would request the interested members to go through the discussion done in above threads first. That will answer many questions and save Atiq sahib's time as well. I know he is short of time nowadays. :)

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

actually shooting is all about technique....we have to revise all steps before each and every shot...like stance, grip, sighting, triggering, breathing control, etc... if we miss single thing...we cannot get desired results...and you know...practice makes a person perfect...

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Went through my third coaching session today. Thanks to SA I personally notice a lot of improvement in my shooting skills. We went through the basics again and paid extra heed to my gripping technique. As you can see that I've gotten rid of my flinching thus shooting low errors. Now my challenge is to shift my groupings to the left. Please review and provide your feedback. Funny thing is that post my coaching session I did a string of double taps wth SA and noticed that from the 5m distance I hit te bull and the other 2 rounds ended up on the 10 ring right above the bull at a distance of 1 inch. What I fail to understand isthat if my error in shooting is the POI on the right then how come I did the double taps right on the bull ?

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

you are way ahead of me but here is what was posted in my shooting thread which I think apply to others as well, take your time

KBW wrote:
isk wrote:
Lesson learnt: armed with all the theoretical knowledge in the head one can still shoot poorly because of the mental state at the time of shooting, it is important for shooter to keep himself calm and composed despite all the pressure.
True. Mental peace is very important as one cant focus if the mind is not at peace.

However, I think we are missing the whole point here. While developing a particular skill, one has to pass through a process of learning which involves theoretical knowledge as well as practical application done over a span of time. Shooting is no different in this regard. Due to variety of information available on internet and other sources, we acquire the knowledge quicker than what we can grasp and overnight, one tends to feel that "he knows". It has happened with me many times personally that after reading various point of views / guidance points on the internet about a particular subject, I thought that I know a thing fully well and wondered that why I couldn't do it well when I tried to do it practically. The reason is very simple. I had to pass through a "period" of time, practicing that aspect, learning it's finer points under the guidance of an instructor or teacher which was missing here. My mind said that I know but practically on ground, I couldn't do it.

What I want to say is that if one wants to achieve excellence, he has to pass through the learning process step by step "which will take its own time". We are trying to know and practically do too many things, without giving it the time it needs.

So brother isk, there is no need to get worried. You are doing just fine, in my view. Just keep practicing the basics, again and again. It will take its own time. This time can be shortened with more focused practice but can not be eliminated (if you really want to learn). Your improvement in shooting skills during this time, in my view, is very good and you are going on the right track.

regards

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

@Furrukh
You should have asked SA or any other senior shooter to shoot a 5 shot group or two with your Shadow at 10 or 15mtrs to get idea of POA vs POI. If you happen to be around next time when I am there, I will do that for you.

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

TGF Managing Committee

Saif wrote:
@Furrukh
You should have asked SA or any other senior shooter to shoot a 5 shot group or two with your Shadow at 10 or 15mtrs to get idea of POA vs POI. If you happen to be around next time when I am there, I will do that for you.

@Saif bro: Would appreciate your feedback, thanks for that. SA was reviewing and providing feedback to me post every string and according to him breathing was ok, stance was ok, POI and POA was ok but him and I had doubts over the pressure points of my grip (same was discussed with you briefly earlier off the forum). Confusion struck when double taps were executed and the results were perfect but could it be that I wasn't using my Shadow for the double taps ? Is it my Shadow or me ? :confusion-scratchheadyellow:

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

Saif is right. One of us, either him or myself should try out your Shadow's zeroing next Sunday.

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Furrukh thats good improvement. Bravo!!

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Good results bro. I understand that seniors (specially SA) guidance is really getting fruitful for you :)

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

Furrukh is one of those TGF members who has shown dedication and seriousness. He "WANTS" to improve his shooting abilities and whether on the range or off it, whether on forum or on phone, he keeps asking questions. He keeps thinking and therefore, he keeps improving.

There's a lesson for all beginner-level shooters here.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

@ Asif bro and Wajeeh: Thanks a lot. I'm still not satisfied.........

@SA: Thanks to you for answering my questions no matter what time of the night / day it is. You've been a great teacher / coach and mentor.

I encourage all beginner level shooters to grab this learning opportunity.

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

It is indeed a very good gesture from SA. Jazak Allah SA!!

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

Great effort people!!

Such sessions should be encouraged where members can share their experiences and expertize!!

regards,
gichki.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

@Gichki: If you scroll to the very first page of this thread you will discover that various seniors have already taken this initiative led by SA. Seniors are ready to devote their time and energy towards such sessions but sadly the beginner shooters are already very well trained..........

If you follow my training session you will notice that SA has been training me properly one on one which in other sports would cost a fortune.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Wajeeh Hasan wrote:
It is indeed a very good gesture from SA. Jazak Allah SA!!

Indeed.

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

@Farrukh!!

I guess most of us beginners have gone through the basics....but it is only practice that makes it perfect when it most counts!!

I wish I could join such sessions!! Unfortunately these days I am out of Karachi...otherwise nothing better on an early Sunday morning!! ;)

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

gichki wrote:
@Farrukh!!

I guess most of us beginners have gone through the basics....but it is only practice that makes it perfect when it most counts!!

I wish I could join such sessions!! Unfortunately these days I am out of Karachi...otherwise nothing better on an early Sunday morning!! ;)

Just a general observation bro, not pin pointing at you specifically. Most of us beginners have NOT gone through the basics. No matter how much one practices one can not get perfect if the basics are not right. You think I achieved better results with practice ? No ! I've been shooting since 2011 and thought I knew the basics but now look at my results in just 3 sessions. All I'm saying is that if the opportunity is there we should grab it.

Hell, I've even postponed family gatherings just so that I do not miss a session :-)

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

I agree with FB. I have shooting for years but guidance from KBW Sb and inputs from Saif have really done wonders for me in a short span of time and ammo expense.
We need to get basics sorted out ASAP and apply them all the time to improve our shooting or else there will be little improvement no matter how much we practise.
Bravo to seniors for their time and effort.

Last edited by HMR on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

We are all extremely lucky to be blessed with the presence of some great teachers including, but not limited to KBW, LAGS, Ghazi sb and some other pure gems, who not only have been putting in time and effort to transfer their learning / knowledge to us, but while doing so, have created an environment of learning on the forum, as a result of which, several members who have learn't something come forward without any hesitation and try to help fellow members by sharing what they've learn't.

Kudos to the seniors. May the Lord bless them from His unlimited bounties.

Profile E-mail