THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:55 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: Eye dominance test

TGF Managing Committee

I read about eye dominance for the first time on this forum in different threads and after searching a bit found a couple of videos and some literature as well, hope it is useful to other newcomers like me as well, it is really funny when u try to cheat yourself by attempting to bring the triangle to your non dominant eye, try it you will have fun

a bit about dominant eye:
"Eye dominance is a most intriguing phenomenon. Most adult men have one eye that directs the pointing process - finger or gun it makes no difference. When they point at a distant object, they will line up with one eye (usually the right eye if they are right-handed). This dominant eye, the finger tip and the selected object, will be in a straight line." (from below link)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIVayKuQGG4&feature=plcp[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIVayKuQGG4&feature=plcp
theres something wrong in coding of youtube plz click here if youtube embedding doesnt open up properly this is a 2nd video

here is the theory for those who are interested, though everything is new to me but still another surprising thing that I read was that your dominant eye can change as well, pls do go through
http://www.basc.org.uk/en/how-to/shooting/eye-dominance-test.cfm

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Eye dominance test

Shooter

mine is left

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

I dint know anything about the dominant eye thing. I kept shooting and slightly improving, till fine one day KBW sb posted a thread on this topic. After two years and some eight thousand rounds, I found out my left eye is dominant. BTW that reminds me, If my left eye is dominant, does that mean I have to be left handed or I could be a righty with a left dominant eye or I could simply be happy about being ambidexterous?

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Dominent eye matters more in shotgun shooting where one has to keep both eyes open. When both eyes are open, dominant eye will automatically take over.

If a shotgun shooter shoots with right hand but has a left master (dominant) eye, than the easiest method is to close the master eye and shoot with right eye open. The moment shooter closes one eye in shotgun shooting, his depth perception will be effected which will have effect on his shooting proficiency. This would mean that his flying shots will never be as good as another shooter with same shooting skills who shoots with both eyes open. However, he will have to live with this disadvantage as it is natural but with more practice, he can improve and do quite well.

I am a right hander with left master eye. I follow the bird with both eyes open and before pressing the trigger, I close my left eye. It is difficult to do at the start but with practice, it can be done. In rifle shooting, master eye doesn't make a difference. In handgun shooting, one can easily change his shooting hand if he shoots with both hands and wants to shoot with one eye close but it's not a compulsion. One may continue shooting with the other eye (non-dominant) if he finds problems in shooting with the weaker hand. For around 25 years, I shot with my right hand. I changed my shooting hand from right to left in 2009 and faced no problems. Since last one year, I am shooting with both eyes open and still there is no problem. It's far less taxing to shoot with both eyes open. One may cover the eye but should not close it. So it doesn't make any difference in rifle shooting and little difference in pistol shooting. But in shotgun shooting, dominant eye does make lot of difference.

People talk of methods regarding training the other eye as master eye. Well, not really sure about the productivity of those methods though theoretically, the seems quite convincing.

regards

Profile E-mail