THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:31 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: Developing my DOPE. Share yours...

Site Admin

Ok, it's not how it sounds.

DOPE = Data of Previous Engagement or in simple terms, a log record of your shooting from a particular rifle with a particular ammo over a period of time.

It is a record of how many rounds you have fired in this rifle, which ones, where, in what manner, the results thereof, in what temperature, altitude, humidity, etc. It helps you determine by how much you need to come up at, say, 600 yards, if it's 43 degrees centigrade, if you zeroed it at same distance when it was 12 degrees centigrade. It will help you determine how much wind adjustment you need to make in a 13 mph 3'Oclock wind for a target at 450 yards, if your rifle is zeroed at 300 meters in wind conditions which were 6 mph at 6'Oclock. Am I able to make better wind calls and make appropriate adjustments, as compared to before?

Without logging / recording data (of your shooting), you will not be able to determine/answer any of the above and a lot more.

I am in the process of developing my DOPE book and started with the most essential part first........ the cover of course. It was a three ring binder lying in my study collecting dust since the last four years and which, my mere luck, happened to be in desert cam finish :whistle:

I made sure that the cover is neither too large to be a pain to carry, nor too small to restrict me from putting other stuff like Mil-Dot Master, a small calculator, pens, etc within the cover along with data cards.

I am in the process of learning "WHAT" needs to go into this log book and reading material available on and off the internet in this regard. At the moment, I have filed some relevant formula/conversion charts for reference purposes, while for data-logging, I've filed a range card (obviously), Cold Bore Summary Chart, Zero Come-ups chart, Zero Summary Chart (Temperature), Barrel Log / Round Count Chart. What else would I need?

Please share your DOPE books and it's content and/or let's discuss what needs to go into our log book. Moreover, from where online, can we get the best of these charts, sheets, cards, etc?

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Developing my DOPE. Share yours...

Sharp Shooter

Sounds interesting...
Only rifles or pistols as well.

-Spartan-

Profile E-mail  

Regional Ambassador - Multan Chapter

I do testing of my ammo but very unfortunately I write only the result of my findings for future use, and keep on duplicating the load until some variable changes.
I may need a log book from now onwards to prove that I am systematic (which I may hate) and this log will be used to (@ Engineer) SOCIETY ME OONCHA MUQAM HASIL KERNAY K LIYE. Lolz ;)

Profile E-mail  

@ SA, I am not in to long guns, but I think DOPE is a systematic approach to improvement in this area. Besides the society me oncha muqam thing :-)

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

i used, two injections of heroin, a cigar full of charas, and sheeshah with only charas burning in it with a bottle full of black label for having ooncha muqaam in haute societe. Now i dont even remember what it was all about.

@Mustanir you have a beemari, look for the answer inside it. check voodoo folder.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Graffiti in ruins of Pompeii (in the basilica): The one who buggers a fire burns his p....

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

@ Mustanir,

Bhai, lesser beings (humans), like yours truly and some other similarly challenged people, who have finite/limited recalling ability, need to maintain dope to be able to remember various details of past shootings and refer them time and again to make required elevation and windage adjustments.

You should not expect everyone to be an Einstein or Gary Kasperov.

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail