THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:14 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: DSA TRUSHOT: Range Review & Report

Standard Shot

DSA TRUSHOT: Range review & Report

Image[/url][/img]

TRUSHOT is the latest addition to the list of firearms produced by DAUDSONS Armory. TRUSHOT appears to be robustly made gun with good performance. Being inflicted with the motto of “ Be Pakistani, Buy Pakistani” mentality, I believe I was one of the few people who laid his hands on the first production model of the handgun keeping in view the quality and workmanship of previous products of DSA that I have used. It was a risk worth taking.

Basic Specs:

Model: DSA Trushot
Manufacturer: Daudsons Armory
Calibre: 9x19mm
Total Length: 190mm
Barrel Length: 102mm
Weight :900gms
Capacity:
Slide: Forged Steel
Frame: Aircraft grade Aluminum Alloy
Sights: Three dot sight
Frame Finish: DSA Scratch less coating
Slide Finish: Phosphate Coated

Packing:
TRUSHOT comes in a plastic pistol case which includes the pistol and two magazines. There is no cleaning rod or user manual as available with any other known brand in the marker. Packing is adequate at least better than most of Russian and Serbian brands that comes in card board box.

Finishing & Looks:

Seeing the TRUSHOT one would immediately think of SIG P226 platform design. Although there are many changes aesthetically but the inner design/operation and assembly/disassembly resembles the SIG platform. The gun looks solidly built with smooth edges and tooling marks. The outer finishing is good if not better than many Chinese handguns sold in the market especially the scratch less coating which till now has sustained the day to day CC abuse of my daily routine.

Slide and Frame:

TRUSHOT slide is made of forged steel and is solidly built with phosphate finish. The frame is made of Aircraft grade Aluminum Alloy. The slide and frame both seems to be solidly built. Slide to frame fitting of the gun is very good with some little loose tolerance which is usual and normal in all military grade handguns to enhance durability and reliability under adverse conditions. The firing mechanism of the gun is also crude in sense of reliability and the firing pin strikes are deep and well centered. The TRUSHOT has a safety switch which disengages the trigger mechanism form the hammer. There is no de-cocking lever in the handgun although it is a DA/SA handgun.

Barrel:
The barrel is made of chrome molybdenum 4140 steel. The quality and rifling of the barrel is distinct and uniform. It has an enlarged feed ramp, much similar in design to SIG and NP22 models, facilitating the use of all type of FMJ’s and JHP’s ammo.

Trigger:
Few of the things that I was not impressed at all starts with the trigger. The trigger pull is somewhat or should I say exuberantly heavy in DA mode and a very large play in SA mode. One literally has to wait for the trigger to engage the hammer because of the play and this at times ruins the shot and grouping at the target. Even NP22’s trigger is more crisp and tighter than TRUSHOT’s. In trigger department DSA need to bring improvement or at least modify my trigger to help me achieve better groups :-D

Recoil:
Owing to the large and heavy size, the gun had a very low and controlled recoil and I had no problem in firing +P NATO and POF2Z rounds on my pistol as the recoil was manageable owing to the weight of the gun.

Sights:

TRUSHOT has a three dot sights. Although it seems fine to me and the target acquisition is easy but for TRUSHOT to compete with other handguns in its league, it needs to improve sights. As far as my opinion is concerned I am OK with it.

Range review

I was desperately waiting for testing this baby out on the range. As said earlier, a mix of ammo was loaded to check the reliability of the weapon along with the accuracy. At 10 meters i was scoring tight groups with along with few bulls. The shots at the lower left were before the alignment of sights. The pistol was hitting left below but after sight adjustment the gun was right on target. the small 8's in the target were due to slight trigger play but after getting used to it the gun was hitting bulls. The gun is quite accurate considering the 4inch barrel.

Reliability:

One thing that took me by surprise was the reliability. In the range session, I managed to fire 75 rounds in one sitting which was a mix of POF2Z, NATO WCC, Chinese Redbox and local custom made rounds. There wasn’t a single FTE or FTF encountered which is a testament of TRUSHOT’s reliability. Even in quick draw and rapid firing session, the gun worked without a hiccup masha ALLAH. Further interesting fact was that I was able to hold the barrel immediately after the firing session with almost no sign of heating (held it with my bare hands!!!) This speaks of the metallurgy of the barrel and material used.(DSA try maintaining this standard and trust of the customer as it is a common dilemma with our manufacturers and industries that when the production model sales quadruples, they start compromising on quality…… keep up the good work and make us proud of Quality Pakistani Products :-D)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: DSA TRUSHOT: Range Review & Report

Thanks a lot for a wonderful review. Please answer following questions.
1. Is this your primary SD weapon?
2. How many rounds have you fired till now?
3. Kindly also elaborate on this, " The firing mechanism of the gun is also crude in sense of reliability and the firing pin strikes are deep and well centered."
If the quality and reliability is as good as you say it is I might go for one. I think it's selling for 27k.
Thanks again.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

So finally we have a review of DSA Trushot. Thanks for the effort brother :text-bravo:

I think at 27 K, it is a little on the higher side but if it is well made and reliable than it's ok. We will have to see more of it in coming days to form an authentic opinion but being a locally made product, we must encourage it and while comparing it's quality with other imported brands, we should compare the price as well.

regards

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

considering the cheapest chinese option (correct me pls if I am wrong) is CF-98 which is around 40~45k, the price of this is very good. The weapon does seem nice and better than the "traditional pakistani weapons"..

Can someone compare it to POF's 9mm?

Also, Mohd, don't think the review is totally unbiased ;)

Profile E-mail  

I have seen this pistol at Daudsons stall during IDEAS 2014. It sure is nicely made. I liked the grip, for both hands it is good. However, in looks the plastic grip isn't impressive at all.

free upload

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

thank u all for ur feedback. @ six_shooter i am using it as my daily carry SD weapon. till now i have fired around 130 rds combined. about the trigger there is not much moving parts in it. the trigger system is more or less similar to TT trigger system showcasing use in the most dirtiest situation. The trigger pull is uncomfortable with high pull. grip is thick but its not much of a problem.

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

I have had many handguns including np22 and Viking. I have had broken firing pin complaint with my np22 while firing pof bullets. The point what Iam trying to present is that in case of any mishap or if one has to look for after market barrel, u just have to make a visit to the factory and change whatever u like. In my case I was sickened and tired lookaing for a competent gunsmith to fix the firing pin

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

hdaackda wrote:

Can someone compare it to POF's 9mm?
I haven't shot DSA pistol and have only seen it in pics. It looks to be a reasonable pistol but we need more feedback on its performance. PK9 is the copy of a famous design which has been used world over. Initially, PK9 had problems as it was marketed without developing a proper facility and many of the parts were manufactured outside POF or inside PaOF manually. However, few days back I visited POF and now they have all required CNC machines to manufacture bulk of the parts, including all major parts like barrel, frame, slide, trigger, firing mechanism, magazines etc. However, PK9 suffered a great reputation loss due to those initial pieces sent out in the market which lacked quality control. Now, in my view, it is a much better manufactured weapon in its price range and POF is planning to further reduce its price a little. It may be now available in around 28-29 k.

The new POF9 is a pretty good shooter. Beretta 92 is a very accurate design inherently and therefore, PK9 is pretty good. From 10 M, a good shooter can punch a big hole with PK9 (I am comparing it with the target shot with DSA from 10 M). I also discussed the issue with Ghazi sb who also seem quite satisfied with the performance of new PK9.

regards

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

@kbw I presume that 92f/pk9 will have better accuracy than dsa because of its barrel length and low axis bore. But the question is whether they have improved the quality. I would prefer a pk9 provided we get a user review of the new production model. As for Dsa I will be updating fellow members as I test and further push its limit.

Profile E-mail  

Mohammad bro thanks for answering. Kindly do share your experience. If it crosses 500 mark without a hiccup I will seriously consider getting it. I agree with you on the issue of readily available spares.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Mohammad wrote:
@kbw I presume that 92f/pk9 will have better accuracy than dsa because of its barrel length and low axis bore. But the question is whether they have improved the quality. I would prefer a pk9 provided we get a user review of the new production model. As for Dsa I will be updating fellow members as I test and further push its limit.
I agree that someone will have to shoot a few hundred rounds from new PK9 and report. I can only say that it is now being solely manufactured in POF (all major parts) but someone will have to check the performance on the range. :)

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

@six_shooter i am trying to reach that mark :-P Abt spares availability since every part is made on cnc machinery, one just has to remove and replace the part with another one be it barrel, recoil spring frame.........

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

@KBW wanted to ask if POF has acquired licence for PK9?

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

Looks like a good attempt by a local manufacturer. I would be more than happy if DSA guys can ensure quality control and provide a gun which is safe and reliable. We should not expect top quality here in this price

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Mohammad wrote:
@KBW wanted to ask if POF has acquired licence for PK9?
They don't need one I believe. Patent for 92fs has expired.

Profile E-mail  

Glock19 wrote:
Looks like a good attempt by a local manufacturer. I would be more than happy if DSA guys can ensure quality control and provide a gun which is safe and reliable. We should not expect top quality here in this price

+1

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Good unbiased review M. Thanks for sharing. I can see in the pictures that the grip is quite thick. How well are the magazines built?

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

Sharp Shooter

Thanks for the review

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

@saif the magazines are solidly builtdouble stack with firm spring.

Profile E-mail  

Can you please share closeups of the magazines only? If its not a problem for you. Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

yesterday visited the daudsons factory for some work. Saw the latest TRUSHOT. Interestingly the DSA has improved the trigger system on the new production pistols. It is as crispy as it gets and have vastly reduced the play. Plus the grip has been resized and is now comfortable to hold even by a shooter with medium sized hands much similar to NP22. They have added a firing pin block safety to the system. unfortunately these changes cannot be done in my model :-(

@six_shooter my camera got busted. will post it as soon as i find myself a new lense :-)

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

one more thing. i was told that DSA trushot has passed all the rigorous tests conducted by Punjab Police for selection of standard side arm and has been selected.

Profile E-mail  

Now that's a game changer. I am for local guns provided they are safe and reliable.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

That sound very interesting. Thanks for sharing details brother. Are the DSA guys willing to exchange the gun with the new one? :)

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

Mohammad wrote:
one more thing. i was told that DSA trushot has passed all the rigorous tests conducted by Punjab Police for selection of standard side arm and has been selected.
This looks like a surprise choice. Looks DSA has treated police guys well :mrgreen:
OMG, out of all the weapons in the world, Police has chosen DSA Trushot as their official sidearm :shock: I mean it may be a nice gun which meets the acceptability standards but selecting as an official sidearm??

Profile E-mail