THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:30 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: BAIKAL MP442 MAKAROV > Review & Range Report

Master at Arms

john smith wrote:
fieldstrip,
opinion about its CC,
target shooting at 10, 15 and 25 metres-how the POI match the point of hitting and etc.
As far as i know Baikal is more accurate then CZ 83 (even Cz is with better finish), and more accurate then old Mak.

I'll try to give my amateur opinion as I have fired all three.

CC Opinion:
It is not as conceal carry able as compared to single stack mag pistols. If you can find its 8 round mag version then it'll be better but no pocket conceal ability even then. Its very easy to dis assemble and assemble this weapon.

Target shooting.
It is quite easy to shoot this pistol accurately cos of less recoil and relatively good trigger. Sights are not very good for precision shooting. None of three 442 I have seen / shot had correct POI compared to POA and required quite a bit of windage adjustment. Not an easy task as rear sights take quite a pounding from a metal hammer before they budge.

Accuracy:
IMO Cz-83 is much easier to shoot accurately and has much better POI Vs POA compared to 442. Old Mak has slimmer grips from which I was finding it difficult to shoot accurately. YMMV

Profile E-mail  

Rifleman

HMR: ''..john smith sir warm welcome.''
Thank you,sir! :)
''IMO Cz-83 is much easier to shoot accurately and has much better POI Vs POA compared to 442'' -There one more + for Cz 83: they are avialable adaptors for this gun in .22. Great idea to shoot a lot for practice with very cheap ammo!
''..better POI Vs POA..''-Would you explain me what does it mean,please?
Thank you very much,Sir! Your review and opinion are very helpfull for me! Wish you all the best! :)

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

What I want to express is IMO factory zero of 442 is poor compared to CZ-83 based on my limited observation. In 442, point of impact of bullets ( in windage ) is way off from the point of aim in the centre of target.
CZ-83 is much more refined and better finished than 442.

Profile E-mail  

Rifleman

I understood. Thank you,Sir!

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

john smith
Brother we may take a more wholesome view of the whole thing. CZ 83 is mostly available in .32 ACP though it was also manufactured in .380 ACP and 9x18 Makarov calibers. However, at least in Pakistan, I have never seen a CZ 83 in 9x18 Mak. In my view, .32 ACP is not a strong enough caliber for self defence. That is the major difference in CZ 83 and Makarov..... the caliber. Though if considered in isolation, CZ 83 may turn out to be a better manufactured pistol.

Moreover, Makrov PM is the most concealable out of three, followed by MP 442 and CZ 83 being the last. Concealability is yet another quality that an SD gun must have.

Being blow back operated, all three of them are very accurate, more accurate than many large size pistols. As regards the sights, no manufacturer zeroes the sights, they are just centered roughly, not precisely zeroed. One can adjust them afterwards. However, good aftermarket sights are available for all three models.

If I have a choice to select one out of three, I will select a Makarov PM due to its more potent ammo and smaller size.

May also like to have a look at following reviews of Makarov PM and CZ 83.

http://www.thegunforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=116&start=0

http://www.thegunforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=666

regards

Profile E-mail  

Rifleman

Thanks, KBW!

Profile E-mail  

Bought this today. It is selling for Rs 38k, plus/minus 3 k in Peshawar. It is the 7 shot MP-442. Much sleeker as compared to the 12 shot version. It is very similar to the Original Makarov PM. The plastic is a little inferior quality, on the grips I mean. I liked the thumb loader on the magazine. Also on sale was the original Makarov PM for Rs 55k. A surprisingly low price.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

@ S_S
If you dont like the Plastic Grips, then MAKE, or have a set of grips made out of wood.
I have always liked the feel of wood grips better myself, as well as the Look.

I cant wait to see the Range Report.
I bet Seven _ Shooter is going to love that gun.

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

1. Any idea where we can get this grip in Pakistan?

Image taken from: http://nmafzal.wordpress.com/2013/05/06 ... ry-weapon/

The guy said its a universal hogue grip but when I searched, I didn't knew which one would fit. There were many types of universal hogue grips :confusion-questionmarks:

2. Is there any adapter available in Pakistan for shooting .22 bullets from a Mak? (MP 442 to be exact)?

Profile E-mail  

Please see this one, http://www.midwayusa.com/product/115161 ... eve-rubber
This is the same grip as on the Makarov. It will fit most if not all pistols.
I bought mine from a friend in Karachi. You can check Lucky Star, it normally sells for 2 to 3 k.

See this grip on my P07 Duty, its the same in different color.

Profile E-mail  

LAGS wrote:
@ S_S
If you dont like the Plastic Grips, then MAKE, or have a set of grips made out of wood.

Seven_shooter loved it.

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

six_shooter wrote:
LAGS wrote:
@ S_S

Seven_shooter loved it.

One day I would love this gun too:)

Profile E-mail  

by Friday I guess. ;-)

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Loving the gun. Did the complete dis assembly. Im firm in love with Russian designs. Its so simple that my younger brothers wanted to reassemble it. I have a trigger job in mind for this gun.

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Profile E-mail  

I told you so. I would say fire 250 rounds, that would do the trigger job. you will also get to know her ( the Russian ) very well. ;-)

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Okay. Dear ammo, I am coming.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Nice one SS. A single stack Makarov is always reliable and in my view, one of the best CC options available in Pakistan at the moment. If I notice correctly, the single stack MP442 has a similar magazine release catch as the Makarov PM and not like double stack MP442. Is that right?

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

The magazine release button is at the bottom in single stack MP422 as in Makarov PM. I bought it for CC purpose. I was thinking to keep CZ Rami as CC weapon but MP422 was a better option for me.

Profile E-mail  

KBW wrote:
Nice one SS. A single stack Makarov is always reliable and in my view, one of the best CC options available in Pakistan at the moment. If I notice correctly, the single stack MP442 has a similar magazine release catch as the Makarov PM and not like double stack MP442. Is that right?

Thanks sir, yes you are right. The magazine release catch is similar to the Mak PM. I am planning to do away with the 12 shot but again the +5 capacity is too good as compared to just 7. :)

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

six_shooter wrote:
KBW wrote:

Thanks sir, yes you are right. The magazine release catch is similar to the Mak PM. I am planning to do away with the 12 shot but again the +5 capacity is too good as compared to just 7. :)

S.S Bro remember to accompany me while testing this makrov :P.... hehehe always demanding favors from u..

Profile E-mail  

Newly Registered User

Salaam. I am a new member here. I recently bought a baikal makarov a few months ago, because my first priority for carrying a handgun was that it should be easily concealable, reliable and accurate. I had heard a lot of good stuff about the old makarov, and was told that the baikal version was also very good. However, after only firing about 40 shots (not even in a single go, but over a period of three months), my pistol jammed, and it jammed really badly. The shell did not eject. I tried to open the gun, but was unsuccessful. Eventually, I took it to the shop in the basement of Dayalsingh Mansion, under Baksh Elahi. They kept trying for two days before they managed to open it. They found that the barrel had been damaged, and the probable reason was that the bullets I was using were very old. Either that, or there was a manufacturing problem with the gun. I bought the gun from Lahore, Nila Gumbad, and bought the bullets from the same shop. The were Russian bullets, the compnay was Barnaul. So I'm really confused about where I went wrong with a brand new gun. It was eventually repaired, and is now working fine, but the reason that I'm mentioning this here is that I wanted to bring this thing to attention, since this gun is being mentioned/considered. And to know if someone else had such a problem as well.

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

Thanks for sharing your first hand experience with us Hamza. Feedbacks like these help other members make wise buying decisions.

Every right minded person would like to carry a weapon about which he is absolutely sure that it would perform when required without any malfunction.

Looking at the recent reports shared by members regarding Baikal's MP446 and your experience with their 442 Makarov, it seems Baikal has not been able to maintain their quality.

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

hamza_mh87 wrote:
Salaam. I am a new member here. I recently bought a baikal makarov a few months ago, because my first priority for carrying a handgun was that it should be easily concealable, reliable and accurate. I had heard a lot of good stuff about the old makarov, and was told that the baikal version was also very good. However, after only firing about 40 shots (not even in a single go, but over a period of three months), my pistol jammed, and it jammed really badly. The shell did not eject. I tried to open the gun, but was unsuccessful. Eventually, I took it to the shop in the basement of Dayalsingh Mansion, under Baksh Elahi. They kept trying for two days before they managed to open it. They found that the barrel had been damaged, and the probable reason was that the bullets I was using were very old. Either that, or there was a manufacturing problem with the gun. I bought the gun from Lahore, Nila Gumbad, and bought the bullets from the same shop. The were Russian bullets, the compnay was Barnaul. So I'm really confused about where I went wrong with a brand new gun. It was eventually repaired, and is now working fine, but the reason that I'm mentioning this here is that I wanted to bring this thing to attention, since this gun is being mentioned/considered. And to know if someone else had such a problem as well.

I would really request the seniors to kindly elaborate and comment upon the matter please. I have been considering a Baikal MP 442 as my next purchase since the Makarov is not available...

Profile E-mail  

Thanks for sharing your experience Hamza. Senior memberrs will be able to comment on the issue. In my opinion it could be ammo or even the handgun itself. I have an MP 442 which was my primary carry weapon. I have fired extensively from it over 500 rounds using Baranul, S&B and Chinese without a single problem. I would suggest you fire extensively at least a hundred rounds possibly of different makes to be sure about your weapon. Only then should you carry it. May I also suggest cleaning it thoroughly and lubricating it? Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next