THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:16 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: BAIKAL MP442 MAKAROV > Review & Range Report

Master at Arms

REVIEW & RANGE REPORT – BAIKAL MP-442

GM this pistol is the sporting and training version of Makarov PM. Makarov has been thoroughly reviewed by our member KBW here: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=116 But there are minor changes in 442 which need a little review.

As stated earlier its a sporting version of venerable Makarov. All the design features are same barring few differences. It uses double stack magazines which enhances its rounds capacity to 12+1. It results in beefier grips which compromises on its conceal-ability. Moreover, mag release catch has been placed near the trigger guard, just like most other handguns whereas Makarov PM had the catch located at the base of the grip and it required lot of practice to release the mag with speed from that position. This is a big advantage in MP442.

Beefier Grip compared to a Makarov (Adds 3.5mm to girth)
Notice the Mag release button below the slide release lever

BASIC SPECS

Model: MP 442
Manufacturer: Baikal
Caliber: 9x18 mm Makarov
Dimensions: 165x127x34 mm
Barrel: 93.5 mm
Weight(unloaded): 780 grams
Capacity: 12 rounds.
Slide: Forged Steel
Frame: Steel
Sights: Blade front and notched rear sight. Fixed.
Sight Radius: 137mm
Finish: Blue

Packing:

Baikal MP442 comes in a plastic box. Its quality is not up to the mark but its much better than a cardboard box. It comes with a manual, spare mag and a cleaning rod.

Finish, Looks and Manufacturing Quality:
442 is a nice looking small size handgun. Its bluing looks good for the price. It is a very simple design, as simple as you can get. Many of its parts perform more than job which means fewer parts.
The finish is quite good though not as good as other US / European weapons. The quality of manufacturing is very good and all parts are manufactured of high quality steel and one can straightaway make out that this gun has been manufactured to last a long time. The finish on internal parts is somewhat crude and one finds tooling marks and few rough edges here and there.

Slide, Frame and Grip:
Like most other handguns, 442 slide does not house its barrel and recoil mechanism. It only has the firing mechanism, feeding and ejection mechanisms. The firing pin is free floating type and does not have a firing pin spring / block. The slide is made of forged steel and is nicely finished from outside. From inside, it’s not as nicely finished as most of the European or American guns.
The frame is made of steel and is solidly constructed. In addition to trigger mechanism, it also houses a fixed barrel and the recoil spring which mounts the barrel. It also houses a double stack magazine.
The grips are made of plastic. Grip fits quite well into the hands. I find it to be too thick for a true Conceal Carry gun but most would be able to conceal carry it easily.

Action and Barrel:

It is a blow back operated frame-fixed barrel pistol. The barrel is fixed into the frame and is very well chrome lined from inside. Due to its fixed nature and high quality manufacturing, its barrels are capable of achieving high levels of accuracy, though the size of barrel is just 93 mm. 442 many a times fires more accurately than other handguns with much longer barrels. The feed ramp is nicely made ensuring proper feeding every time.

Trigger Mechanism:
442 has a very crisp trigger which weighs between 3.5 – 5 lbs. The trigger breaks very even and has no extra play. The trigger guard, other than housing the trigger, also acts as a take down lever and assists in extremely quick field stripping.

Recoil Mechanism:

Being a fixed barrel pistol, 442 has no recoil guide rod and the recoil spring is mounted on the barrel. 442 has very manageable recoil which makes the placing of second shot very accurate and convenient. In fact it’s a pleasure shooting double taps with a 442 and every time, this little handgun surprises the shooter with its remarkable accuracy.

Sights:

442 comes with fixed front and adjustable for windage rear sights. They are no match the sights of Glock 26 or PT145 and similar modern handguns. Its not very easy to acquire targets with it and they would be of no help in low light conditions.

Magazine:

442 has double stack 12 round magazine. The magazine is nicely manufactured and very durable but looses finish rapidly during use. Initially its a pain to load these magazines but they loosen up quickly.

Safety Mechanism:

It has a slide mounted safety that blocks the trigger, hammer and firing pin. Free floating firing pin has been attributed to cause accidents if a 442 is dropped on its muzzle end.

Accuracy:

For its size, it is a very accurate handgun. Its low recoil makes placement of second shot very accurate and easy. I achieve better results with my 442 as compared to many large size handguns. Fixed and high quality barrel along with a very nice trigger assist in achieving very good results though poor quality sights are always a retarding factor, specially during speed shooting. Reviewed specimen is not zeroed and shoots to the left. Little sight adjustment would take care of that.

Handgun:...............MP-442
Ammo:....................Barnaul
Distance:................10 M
Technique:..............Deliberate Fire. Standing, with both hands.
Time:.......................1200 hrs
Target:...................25 M Pistol precision target
It was supposed to be all shots with POA at Bulls eye but unintentionally changed POA in some shots to score some Bulls eye.

Distance:................15 M
With corrected POA. Rectangle right of bulls eye.
137/150 91.33%

Distance:................25 M
POA red triangle. 13 shots fired.

Reliability:
I have not experienced any issues in 200 rounds fired till now. Its pedigree prevents me from expecting any problems in this area. I am confident that it'll live up to hype of its predecessor.

Maintenance:

It is one of the easiest weapons in the world when it comes to field stripping and maintenance. An experienced handler can field strip and reassemble a Mak in just 10 seconds and sometimes, even lesser. There is nothing technical about its cleaning and maintenance and those who spend time in the field with their handguns well understand that this is a great attribute that a any weapon can possess. Its simple construction and lesser number of parts makes it a very easy weapon to maintain.

Suitability for the Purpose:

It is basically a CC handgun and a very very suitable one for that purpose. It is small, comparatively sleek, ridiculously simple, very robust, very accurate and highly reliable. What else one needs from a CC weapon. Though 9x18 Makarov ammo is a little on the weaker side but its ability to deliver an accurate and quick second shot amply compensates for this weakness; again a great attribute during SD. In any case, 9x18 Makarov is a much more potent ammo than 9x18 Short or .32 ACP or .25 ACP or .22 LR, other calibers which can compete or better a 442 in low recoil and high second shot capability.

Price and Value for Money

Its available from 43 to 55 thousand rupees in different cities of Pakistan and ammo is from 60 to 70 RS each. Its the lowest cost true conceal carry weapon which is available new in box in Pakistan. Considering its accuracy, reliability and size, IMO it carries a lot of value for the money. A must buy in my opinion.

User Manual
http://www.makarov.ch/documents/Pistol_ ... Manual.pdf

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: BAIKAL MP442 MAKAROV > Review & Range Report

TGF Expert Panel

Belated, but welcome review Shariq bro.
Yes, the trigger of this piece is wonderful, really smoothened out after 100 odd rounds, crisp.

How do you compare this with the original Mak for conceal carry?

What is your personal opinion on the free floating firing pin considering carrying locked and cocked?

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

Marksman

Good review Shariq sb. Thank you.

Adding to Saif sb's questions.

Did you test any 9x18 hollowpoints on this Mak? How did the gun perform with HPs? Speaking of HPs, are these available in this caliber in Pk? :)

I somehow still like the old Mak. Single stack mag. Better for CC.

Profile E-mail  

Shariq bhai I waited a long time for this review and you have done justice to it. This indeed is a real CCW, considering other factors like accuracy, reliability etc.
Please bear with me, some very basic questions;
1) Is it SA or DA or both?
2) Can you please elaborate this? "I find it to be too thick for a true Conceal Carry gun but most would be able to conceal carry it easily."
3) And why is placing second shot easy with this handgun? Are there any problems in firing a second shot with other weapons? Specially ones with bigger recoil? "442 has very manageable recoil which makes the placing of second shot very accurate and convenient. In fact it’s a pleasure shooting double taps with a 442 and every time"
Many thanks in advance. And a big thank you again for the wonderful and informative review. :handgestures-salute:

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Saif wrote:
How do you compare this with the original Mak for conceal carry?
What is your personal opinion on the free floating firing pin considering carrying locked and cocked?

Ans 1. Except for added 3.5mm width, it has same dimensions as a Mak. Original Mak was much more sleeker and easier to conceal carry but 442 also can be easily concealed.

Ans 2. Absolutely comfortable carrying cocked and locked although theoretically its not as safe as modern designs but never heard or read of any accident due to it.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Zargham Alvi wrote:

Did you test any 9x18 hollowpoints on this Mak? How did the gun perform with HPs? Speaking of HPs, are these available in this caliber in Pk? :)

Not seen anywhere. I am not a big fan of HPs or JHPs so not even tried to look for them. I am sure any quality ammo would work fine in 442.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

six_shooter wrote:
1) Is it SA or DA or both?
Ans. Its both.
2) Can you please elaborate this? "I find it to be too thick for a true Conceal Carry gun but most would be able to conceal carry it easily."
Ans. I personally prefer sleeker profile guns for CCW. IMO its still quite concealable but its not in true CCW guns category.

3) And why is placing second shot easy with this handgun? Are there any problems in firing a second shot with other weapons? Specially ones with bigger recoil?
Ans. Felt recoil is quite less and muzzle flip is quite controllable. Its beefy grips provide good hold. Compared to my G17 polymer 9mm, double taps with 442 are much more quick and accurate because of less recoil and muzzle flip.

Profile E-mail  

@ Shariq Many thanks for the info bro

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

Good effort Shariq bhai. Thanks. :)

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Good review Shariq bhai. :)

Baikal manufactures MP442 in 8,10 and 12 round magazine capacity, however, in Pakistan on 12 round MP442 are available. This probably happened because the importers were of the view that more capacity ones are better and lesser capacity MP442 won't sell. Now many of them know that the 8 round MP442 has its own utility and perhaps we may see those being imported in Pakistan in future.

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

@ Shariq,

For someone who's primary objective is buying a true conceal carry weapon, which one from these would you recommend, since you have now used all of these:

1> Baikal Makarov MP 442 9x18

2> The old Makarov 9x18

3> Walther PP or PPK

4> CZ Rami

5> CZ Duty

Let us say that the budget is 130k Rs. and one of the above is to be bought for conceal carrying.

Oh yes, please also explain the reasons behind your choice.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

If you ask my opinion then I would go for 8 rounds capacity 442 or Makarov PM. Purpose of conceal carry is to carry a gun without being noticed. To me even a Rami is detectable in Jeans / T-shirt. Mak is much sleeker.

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

great review shariq bh.

but imo the older mak is better in built quality and finishing

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Shooter wrote:
@ Shariq,

For someone who's primary objective is buying a true conceal carry weapon, which one from these would you recommend, since you have now used all of these:

1> Baikal Makarov MP 442 9x18
Highly recommended in 8 shot capacity. 12 shot too thick for true CC

2> The old Makarov 9x18
Not a good value for money in 65 to 75k price range for very good condition piece.

3> Walther PP or PPK
Very difficult to find a good piece and only PPK would do. Round is weaker too.

4> CZ Rami
Excellent accuracy, night sights and 14 shot capacity are big plus. Lows are price, girth and weight. Its not sleek enough to qualify for true CC IMHO.

5> CZ Duty
Does not qualify for CC :) Too big, too wide and too heavy.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Price Update
Khi price 55k
Ammo 65 to 70 each Barnual.

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Very nice review of a very reliable conceal carry handgun.. great effort Shariq brother.. thanks for sharing.. :)

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Dear Aquarius sir
Thanks a lot.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

UPDATE:
Carried a Rami for comparison. MP-442 is easier to CC. Advantages of Rami are night sights, more capacity and cheaper ammo but at less than half the price, 442 is still an excellent buy :)

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Shariq wrote:
UPDATE:
Advantages of Rami are night sights

Shariq bhai, getting night sights for MP442 / Makarov PM is not a task impossible in my view. I am working on it and would come out with some solution, I hope :) With night sights, MP442 would be a very effective carry gun. I wish it is available in 8 round magazine in Pakistan.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

KBW Sb I have changed my mind about carrying Rami. If somehow you could manage night sights for 442 then it would be great news.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Shariq bhai, it won't be a straight solution. Some gunsmithing will have to be done. That is where we will get assistance from LAGS ;)

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Night sights cannot be shipped to Pakistan.

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

Marksman

Did a bit research on night sights for mak.only solution is to foil down the original sight than the slide has to be altered(cutting a gap for the sights).a good gunsmith is requried cant be done by us.
Second and the cheapest way is to paint the original sights with florecent glow in the dark paints.which i havent found as yet in karachi.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Can these paints be ordered online ?

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Anyone concerned with billboard industry must have an idea.
Havent checked online delivery.

Profile E-mail