THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:22 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: Norinco CF98 / NP42 Malfunction

TGF Managing Committee

CF98 / NP42 is known for its reliability as well as value for money, however there are some factors that lead to QA checks that Norinco lack. There might be other malfunctions that I am unaware of which can be discussed later in this thread but I am opening up this thread to discuss one particular issue that I witnessed last weekend.

The events were as follows:

1. Mag was completely filled up with 15 rounds.
2. The slide was pulled and bullet was chambered, leaving the hammer cocked.
3. Decocker was used to bring the hammer down, and then released.
4. To eject the chambered bullet, slide was pulled again.
5. Instead of the chambered bullet ejecting, a second bullet was lodged.
6. The first bullet got triggered and fired.
7. Empty shell was recovered.
8. Second bullet is no where to be found.

Me and my friend spent quite some time to figure out how can a second bullet be lodged into the chamber without ejecting the first one, unless the extractor is faulty. And even if so, can a second bullet actually act as a firing pin and trigger the chambered round?

After checking the level of the mag and the barrel, yes the barrel is elevated and the bullet goes at almost a 45 degree angle to reach the face of the barrel and then slides inside.

A couple of lessons learnt by both of us, however there are answers needed as to what exactly happened.

More senior members, and users of this particular gun could you please pitch in your views as to what might have caused the round in the chamber to go off?

Thank you.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Norinco CF98 / NP42 Malfunction

TGF Managing Committee

Anyone?

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

NG
1. are you sure that the second bullet actually got lodged?
2. How many rounds remained in the mag after the incident? How many in the chamber?

I feel, trigger was negligently squeezed instead during the process of slide being racked. Your response would help understand the situation better.

Further, can you please post pictures of CF98 feed-ramp with with slide locked back, and a loaded mag inserted, at a few different angles. I might need to see a few things.

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

TGF Expert Panel

Mangloo Ramzani wrote:

Action & Barrel

Based on above pics, the second bullet would get stuck between the feed ramp and the casing of the chambered bullet instead of acting as a firing pin. Seems like a negligent discharge.

Shooter

2nd bullet was not lodged at all, that is why it can not be found, it was an accidental discharge, finger may have been on the trigger!

Profile E-mail  

Rifleman

Naveed bhai the point is where is the second round.if both rounds fire at the same time then the barrel should be bust and i am sure that my finger is not on trigger

Profile E-mail  

Rifleman

Dear if you said that second round is accidently discharge then where is the second bullet ?

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Saif wrote:
NG
1. are you sure that the second bullet actually got lodged?
2. How many rounds remained in the mag after the incident? How many in the chamber?

I feel, trigger was negligently squeezed instead during the process of slide being racked. Your response would help understand the situation better.

Further, can you please post pictures of CF98 feed-ramp with with slide locked back, and a loaded mag inserted, at a few different angles. I might need to see a few things.

Yes, the second bullet was lodged for sure.

There were 13 rounds in the mag after the incident.

The finger was not on the trigger either, and the entire point of this discussion was to identify if a second bullet can cause the round in the camber to go off. If there was a slight possibility that the finger was on or near the trigger the query wouldn't have been raised considering even a doubt for a negligible finger press.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Saif wrote:
Mangloo Ramzani wrote:

Action & Barrel

Based on above pics, the second bullet would get stuck between the feed ramp and the casing of the chambered bullet instead of acting as a firing pin. Seems like a negligent discharge.

Brother, if there is a chambered round in the barrel, and the slide is pulled...lets say for argument sake the extractor did not engage the chambered round and did not pull it out when the slide was pulled. A second round from the mag will get lodged right behind the chambered round and the slide would get stuck, which is exactly what had happened. Now the question remains unanswered. How did the chambered round got fired with another round stuck between it and the firing pin?

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

The second round, new round, if it was fired:
-it would have caused an explosion, the user would have been injured, maybe badly, as the explosion would have been with an open breach.
-you would have found one empty casing, one ruptured casing, and atleast one bullet stuck in the barrel somewhere, or one damaged complete round.

None of this happened, most likely there was no round in the chamber, and the second round had a sort of failure to feed, and then got fed just right.

-Since you had found one empty casing, it had to come out of the gun via extraction. How could it eject without been engaged by the extractor? Unless it was still in the chamber, and the next round was right next to it next to the primer. The 2nd round would not extract or eject, as the slide would not move back at all as all the energy escaped out of the breach instead of operating the slide. The giveaway here is the extracted empty/fired casing.

And, you still need to tell us how many rounds were left in the mag.