THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:40 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: The range, she was open.

Sharp Shooter

I did not take my big camera, and I am glad - the wind was so strong it knocked my regular target stand over multiple times, despite the sand filled legs and three grocery bags filled with rocks across them. My expensive and irreplacable Canon would have bitten the dust, and I would be very, very unhappy.

Instead, I am very happy, bordering on ecstatic, possibly euphoric, edging towards utter glee. Why? I got the Scorpion out to sight in the red dot.

I started with the setup I had before, front rested, but with the single point sling on and tight for additional support. To be fair, I started at ten yards. When I got the elevation and windage right, it was quite interesting.

This is the load I think I will run in it regularly.

Just for contrast, a cast bullet powder coated load.

Then I moved it back to 20 yards, figuring that would be more likely for a firearm of this type in a home. Front rested again.

What the...multiple test targets all showed the same thing, shooting high. So I said ah, the heck wid it, and stood up. The wind howled in demonic glee, my fellow shooters ran for shelter, and the mighty Moljnar spoke! OK, not quite that dramatic, but the wind did durn near blow me off my feet.

Holy great garbanzo beans! Can I do that again?

Guess so. I kept getting consistent groups point of aim at 20 yards standing, red dot on, front "wrap" hold.

As always I found one tiny little thing I need to look at - recoil bangs my hand on the hand stop - wondering if a piece of hard rubber glued there might help. Worth looking into.

Now I know I can hit what I aim at with my favorite load, which is fast enough and good enough for SD if were to so choose. Of course I don't recommend handloads for self defense, but if push comes to shove...I know that this is the Internet and according to the members of the 83rd Chairborne, my accuracy is terrible, but I'll take it. ;)

I'd do a cartwheel, but at my age it would turn into a flat tire... :shock: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The range, she was open.

TGF Expert Panel

I think thats pretty good accuracy. I am wondering, how much the POI would change in this with different factory ammunition?
I would have loved to see results with the inverted stance...would make a good case for another outing..

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

Sharp Shooter

Inverted...hmm, I did that once with the Phantom. Need another rug for the bench - they get dirty quick.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

That sure looks like a great day at the range. When you say front rested and with a single point sling, what exactly does it mean? I mean if you shooting from the rest than why to use a sling?
regards

Profile E-mail  

Good shooting armoredman. If I had this Scorpion I would love do lots of rapid shooting. I am sure it will much better than any Phantom et al, be it upside down :D

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

KBW, the point of the single point sling is because of our goofy National Firearms Act of 1934. The Scorpion cannot have a stock on it unless it is registered as a Short barreld Rifle, (which I intend to do), so it has to be shot like a pistol. The single point sling gives an additional point of stability when pulled out tight. This picture is when I was first experimenting with the sling, much better set up now, but it gives an idea of what I'm talking about.

So take this, and add this...

And it becomes a more stable package. Clear as mud? :D

I need to use the chronograph on this load in this gun - it's a +P load to begin with, zipping out at over 1200 FPS out of a 4 inch tube - the 7.5 inch barrel on the Scorpion might give a wee bit more "oomph". probably some more WHAM down range on whatever is unfortunate enough to be there. Oddly enough, I actually intend on using this firearm for hunting small game, rabbit and coyote with cast bullet loads, and then with the GOOD stuff for home defense. When you get up in the middle of the night, you don't generally have a belt and spare magazine pouch, so you "run with whut you brung", and 30 rounds is a lot of "brung". ;)

Profile E-mail