THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:31 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: NORICA MODEL 56 > Review

I wanted to buy a good Air Gun for my son who is just 8. There were a number of options available, both local and Chinese. Basically the requirement was to buy an air gun that could be easily carried by a child. (Meaning to say not too heavy) I came across Norica Mod 56, which is a Spanish weapon in a shop at Neela Gumbad, Lahore. The review is presented for TGF members.

First Looks.
The Mod 56 is a small and light weight air gun. The stock is wooden, vital stats are:
Barrel Length: 404 mm, 15.9”
Total Length: 954 mm, 37.55”
Weight: 2.3 kg/5.0 lbs
Muzzle Velocity: 150 m/s , 490 fps
Caliber: .177” (4.5 mm) / .22” (5.5 mm)
Automatic Safety Available
Two Stage Trigger
Vaporized Beech Wooden Stock
Break barrel
Right Hand
Dovetail Scope Rails
Fixed Plastic Front Sight
Adjustable Rear Sight for Elevation and Windage
Optical Fiber Tubes in Front and Rear Sights

Notice that the Cheek Piece is for Right hand support only

The Stock: It is a Vaporized Wood Stock with cheek piece for support. The wood is fine quality as one would expect from any foreign manufacturer and the finish is really eye-catching. There are two slanted screws that hold the barrel in place and just two screws on the trigger. Unscrew them and the rifles come apart in minutes. There is no recoil pad though, but I guess for an Air Gun that produces 490 fps of mv that may not be required. But on second thoughts I must say that a recoil pad also protects the gun, when you place it vertically.

Notice the slanted screws

The Barrel: The barrel assembly has a fine finish and is good to look at. 11 mm dovetails mean it is scope-able. Does not require much effort to break it, I am not sure about the force though. Left side shows the inscribed air gun name, model and serial number. Upon closing the barrel safety is automatically applied. The safety catch rests inside the trigger guard just ahead of the trigger itself. It is easy to remove the safety with the firer’s finger. The trigger guard is made of hard plastic, not sure about the composition but has a fine finish and looks sturdy.

Front and Rear Sights: Both front and rear sights are made of plastic. Quite similar to the trigger guard it is hard and has a fine finish. The front sight is fixed and the rear is adjustable for windage and elevation. By the way, the one that I bought does not have Optical Fiber illumination for both the sights, but when I checked up at Norica website it was there on all models. Not sure if it was removed by someone or did not come with my gun. I even contacted Norica via E-mail but they were kind not to reply, perhaps because we do not have dealership in our country for the gun. The windage and elevation are marked and the clicks are good to hear as one gets the confirmation by not only rotating it but hearing it, besides being able to see movement of the related parts.

The Verdict. This air gun in my view is ideally suited for target practice. It is small and light weight and hence good for kids, although may be used by anyone. The grip is fine, but checkering on the grip might have helped in case of sweating on hands, since the stock is plain and smooth. The absence of optical fiber tubes will be badly felt in my model, however I have found this to be a good weapon. Based on my personal experience, I would not recommend it over distances of 20 m, because at 490 fps the pellet does not carry that much force over a large distance. Let me support this with my Dove hunting experience, a number of times the dove will fly away wounded, though being hit. (This would mean a painful death for the bird and a long face for the hunter :D ) I mounted a Chinese Tasco scope 4 x 20 on it and the grip was really good. Results were also good except for that the scope loses its zeroing quite frequently. So now I am using the Iron (Read plastic) sights. The results have been good and will be covered in the coming days. The gun does not make a loud noise, but that is quite understandable. Oh and before I forget, one more thing, there is no trigger adjustment facility in this model, but the two stage trigger is good enough.
I hope I haven’t missed anything important. I am low on the gun Lingo, but as a newbie user I have tried to cover the major things. Senior members are requested to make corrections and put me wise. Your feedback is awaited, :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Review Norica Mod 56

Master at Arms

An excellent review brother six_shooter. Gives a very good account of a gun which is not that well known. However, it a Spanish gun which means good quality. A few target pics from different distances would have added to the beauty of the review.

How much you paid for it brother??

Once again, thanks for a very comprehensive review :)

Profile E-mail  

@ KBW Thanks for the feedback. Yes it is Spanish. The target pics will be added in the Airgun Shooting Results Thread, soon. Bro, according to your advice I have removed the scope because I got tired of constant zeroing. I paid 15k for it. I could have got a Gamo Shadow 640 in this price, but I guess my son fell in love with it :-) A Gamo Shadow 1000 is high on my wish list though.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

six_shooter brother, in airguns, I believe in quality. You took a correct decision to buy something of quality, in my view. However, for hunting, one needs to have around 600-700 fps MV for .22. With 490 fps, you will have to take clean shots, no room for error. :)

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

Superb Review brother SS. Great effort. :text-bravo:

Regarding the item on your wishlist, within 20k-22k budget the Shadow 1000 offers best value for money offering MV of 700fps in .22 and with a good scope properly mounted, you will be enjoying your hunts with it alot :)

Once again, thanks for sharing this review with us and we all look forward to more of such fine reviews in the future. :)

You may post your target results of this air rifle both in the airgun shooting thread as well as here in this review thread.

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Great review Bro. Good effort and good choice of gun. Thanks for sharing.

Profile E-mail  

Thanks. The results will be posted soon.

Profile E-mail  

Six shooter bro ... :text-bravo:

A very nicely written review of an Air Gun which is not very well known. At least I never heard of it before this splendid review!!!

Nice effort bro, now waiting for the target pics!!! :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

The TGF audience is requested to wait till week end for target pics, many thanks for the patience, and thanks for the appreciation :-)

Profile E-mail