THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:38 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: GAMO SHADOW 1000 > Review

Site Admin

REVIEW > GAMO SHADOW 1000

INTRODUCTION

In Pakistan, of the few options available to us, the Gamo Shadow 1000 is one of the better air rifles in which you get a balance of power and price. Currently, we have on one hand low-budget air rifles comprising of local Pakistani ones ranging from Rs. 2.5k to 3.5k capable of generating MV 250fps - 400fps (some even 500fps) and Chinese air rifles capable of 300 to 450 fps and on the other hand high-powered air rifles such as Diana with price starting from Rs. 30k and going upto Rs. 45k capable of generating MV of 700fps to 1200fps depending on which caliber (.22 or .177) pellet you use. Somewhere in the middle lies the Gamo Shadow 1000. '1000' represents the air rifle's ability of generating MV of 1000fps (average between 950fps and 1100fps) in .177 caliber. In .22 caliber, this model averages 700fps, which, based on personal experience, is enough to take down crows at 30 meters (90 feet) range.

The Gamo Shadow 1000 is available in Pakistan for around Rs. 22,000/- brand new.

The Shadow 1000 is a fancier derivative of the Hunter 220, which is one of the best-selling of Gamo's sporting air rifles. In the local market, we also have a scale-down version of the Shadow available in the form of Gamo 640, which too is a good air rifle albeit slightly lower-powered in comparison to the Shadow and is available for around Rs. 18k brand new.

SPECS

Antishock stock
Right-handed left-handed stock
Grip / checkering
Ergonomic Design
Ventilated Butt Plate
Break Barrel
Striated barrel
Two stage trigger
Safety pellet load
Shot safety
Optical fiber sights
Adjustable elevation
Red dot
Sight strips for rail
Caliber 4,5 mm /.177
Caliber 5,5 mm /.22
Caliber 6,35 mm /.25
Weight (Kg) 3
Weight (Lb) 6.61
Length (Cm) 110
Length (In) 43.31
Fiber optics: contrasting fiber colors in the front and rear sight
Front sight - red 0.40mm in diameter
Rear sight - yellow 0.60 mm in diameter
Rear sight - adjustable millimetric for both windage and elevation

LOOKS

The Shadow 1000 is an all-black rifle with synthetic stock and dark black metal finish. It is pleasant to look at and appears rugged enough to withstand rough use.

SIGHTS

It features adjustable open sights with bright fiber optic tubes that enhance the sight picture in most lighting conditions.

The Shadow's rear sight is click-adjustable for both windage and elevation. It has a bright green fiber optic tube that gathers light and projects two pinpoints of green to frame the front sight's red dot. This setup makes it easy and fast to aim at the target.

For precision shooting, one has to adapt to a special sight picture. For greatest accuracy, you have to balance the bullseye on top of the front bead and lay the bead at the bottom of the rear notch.

One has to be careful not to bump the front sight to any hard object, else it'll result in the fibre optic piece breaking and/or coming off which'll have to be glued back on, as happened in my case.

SCOPE OPTION

It has an installed scope stop, which is an indication that Gamo expects many customers to mount a scope. With it's power, I would recommend that you go for a decent air rifle scope. With a cheap 5k Chinese Bushnell 3-9x42 scope installed on cheap mounts, I was able to hit a 2feet by 2 feet board set at 80 yards 10 out of 10 times, albeit with a lot of adjustment for pellet trajectory and windage. With a decent scope installed on good-quality mounts, you can have a great time taking out small pests with accuracy to upto 35 meters with ease.

GRIP, STOCK AND BALANCE

The Shadow is 43.3" in length and weighs 6 lbs, making it a small-to-medium-sized air rifle. The synthetic stock is smooth, yet not at all slippery. A pebble-grain surface on the pistol grip and where the off hand rests under the forearm provides extra protection against slipping. The stock pull (distance from the center of the butt to the trigger) is around 13.8", which is on the short side of air rifles designed for an adult male. This means that the rifle will fit and feel comfortable to most average-sized adults.

Sculpted into the black tactical synthetic stock is a Monte Carlo comb and cheek piece which has been cleverly designed to angle slightly down from the back of the air cylinder to give a surprisingly good head position for this scope-only rifle. The company name GAMO is integrated into the moulding towards the bottom rear of the cheek piece - a testament to the fact that they feel proud of the rifles that bear their name, and so they should be.

The ventilated black rubber butt pad is a nice touch, and in practical use it sits neatly and naturally in your shoulder. The pistol grip is slim at the neck and drops relatively sharply. The rest of the stock is slim with the forend being quite compact. The inherent feel of the stock material that incorporates generous amounts of stippling on the pistol grip and along the forend is one of stability and practicality. All thse features combined offer decent grip, balance and an assured shooting position.

MANUFACTURING QUALITY AND FINISHING

The rifled steel barrel is mirror polished. On inspection of the breech, one can observe the quality of mechanism there - one finds a large solid steel wedge shape détente lock rather than a sprung ball catch. On swinging the barrel shut it ‘locks down’ firmly and surely. There are lengthy, deep-cut dovetailing on top of the compression cylinder and a removable scope mount arrestor strap. This gun has a look of rugged reliability. Stock screws are neatly recessed and solid, while even the finish on the metalwork is commendable.

Overall, the quality of manufacturing as well as finishing is 'fairly good'.

TRIGGER AND SAFETY

A two-stage adjustable trigger with its manual safety and automatic anti-beartrap safety are standard.

Gamo Shadow's weakest part is unfortunately its trigger. Though it's very safe and reliable, there's a long second-stage pull with lots of creep which, I've read, cannot be removed easily. The only adjustment is for the pull-weight of the first stage.

However, the trigger does get smoother with time, as I observed after shooting over 500 pellets through it. This is not unique to Gamo as I have observed this with at least three other Chinese and one Diana air rifle as well where the trigger gets smoother with usage.

The safety is a lever in front of the trigger, and it works manually only. In other words, if you want it on, you have to set it; the rifle does not set it automatically as part of the cocking sequence. This is as it should be. This lever is also known as the anti-beartrap mechanism to protect your fingers during loading. When the barrel is broken open, the trigger should not function. This feature prevents the breech from closing on your fingers while you insert a pellet in the barrel, but it also means that the rifle cannot be uncocked. If you cock it, you must shoot it. NEVER shoot a spring gun without a pellet in the barrel, and cleaning pellets do not count. And, you also never trust the anti-beartrap mechanism. Always hold that barrel open when you load the gun. At the worst, it keeps your fingers away from the trigger, where they don't belong anyhow.

COCKING EFFORT AND PELLET LOADING

Cocking effort is just 28 lbs. GAMO has built the piston lever in a design that uses an articulated arm, meaning that even less effort is needed to cock the rifle but it does come back at quite an angle to lock up solid for direct pellet loading.

RECOIL

It recoils very little for its power, but there is a high-velocity buzz at the end of every shot. It isn't enough to annoy you or your neighbours.

ACCURACY

Almost every spring rifle has to be broken-in to some extent with some taking up to 1,000 shots before they have completely settled down and are ready for serious work. My experience with GAMOs has been that they do not take as long to break-in. Except for the trigger, which does wear in over many thousands of shots, a new Gamo spring air rifle is almost broken-in when you unpack it.

I used four types of pellets in this air rifle. Mostly Gamo Match, then Gamo Magnum Pro and a few dozen Irani and desi ones. I found the Gamo's own Match Pellets to be the most accurate ones with the tightest group, then came Pro Magnum ones in accuracy. The Pro Magnum ones are most suitable for hunting purposes. I had read earlier that generally a company's own brand of pellet is usually among the best performers in their own guns and the same proved to be true in case of GAMO Shadow.

Will post some target results shortly.

MAINTENANCE

This is where it gets tricky. I know I'm not an engineer, but trust me, taking the Shadow apart for maintenance purposes is one tricky thing, which I have not been able to figure out how. :| However, we have some decent airgunsmiths for this purpose in Pakistan and in Karachi, I have found the one working at Mustafa Enterprises to be quite good.

RELIABILITY

For the cost involved, Shadow 1K is a reliable air rifle and having several friends who own it and have used it for more than 2000 shots, I have never heard or noticed any problem they've experienced. My experience of 500 shots was without a single hiccup.

CONCLUSION

If you are looking for a powerful spring-piston air rifle with sporty looks and good features, check out the Gamo Shadow. As mentioned above, there's also a 640 scaled-down version available for 4k to 5k less. These rifles are attractive, lightweight, powerful and accurate. Any of these rifles would be a great addition to your inventory armory, and they are ideal for mastering the art of marksmanship.

RANGE REPORT

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Review > Gamo Shadow 1000

A very comprehensive review! Great Job SA Bro!

I think it is a 'must read' for all Airgun Enthusiasts of Pakistan! ;)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: REVIEW > GAMO SHADOW 1000

Site Admin

Some images above are not visible and will be sorted out shortly.

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

In 2006 i was offered an NIB shadow 1000 for rs.8500. i was short of cash so instead bought a gamo p800 .177 airpistol for ~Rs.2000.
looking back and seeing current prices, i think i missed a good deal. but inshaAllah better things will come along

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

NIB Shadow for 8.5k was a real steal of a deal. :)

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

As always its really nice to read reviews by SA , Nice Efforts :)

farazh
You missed an Excellent Deal :(

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

The price of NIB shadow was perhaps 10k in 2006 :)

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

In 2006, price range of this model was between 10K to 12k.

Profile E-mail