THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:56 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: RWS DIANA 54 AIR KING > Review & Range Report

RWS DIANA AIR KING MODEL 54 > Review & Range Report

Before I write anything about this impressive springer, let me just say that Diana Air King, Model 54 is perhaps the King of Air Guns. It is an Air Gun lover’s dream come true, sheer beauty, very accurate and a collector’s item. The Diana Air King Model 54 comes in three calibers .177/4.5mm, .22”/5.5mm and .25”/6.35mm. The air gun being reviewed has a .22”/5.5mm caliber.

Vital Stats

Model : Diana 54 AirKing
Manufacturer: Mayer & Grammelspacher
Country of Origin: Germany
Type: Spring/piston (semi recoilless)
Action: Sidelever
Stock: Beech sporter
Caliber: .22”/5.5mm
Weight: 9.8 lbs / 4.5 kg
Overall Length: 43.5 inch / 1100mm
Barrel Length: 17.3 inch / 440mm
Trigger: 2 stage adjustable
Muzzle Velocity: 230 m/s or 850-900 fps

OTHER FEATURES:

Adjustable Front Sight (Plastic)
Adjustable Metallic Rear Sight (Elevation and Windage)
Checkered Wooden Stock
Ramp for Mounting Scope
Right Hand
Cocking Guard
Rubber Butt Plate

The Air King is a sheer beauty. It is an adult’s rifle, weighing 10 lbs and carrying along on a hunt can tire a person. But all things good have their downside. The checkered finish on the pistol handle and front stock ensures a good grip. This should suit hunters well as the hold can become slippery due to sweating, especially in summers. The metal finish is very good and one can imagine the effort that must have gone in to make a rifle of this standard.

Observe the checkered finish on the pistol handle:

The front stock also has checkered finish:

The metallurgy is as good as Diana's reputation:

The high quality Rubber Butt Plate provides adequate comfort to the firer’s shoulder and also serves to protect the air gun when placed vertically. Just two screws, one near the trigger guard and the other at the far end of pistol handle (both at the bottom) hold the springer in place. Loosen them and the air gun comes apart. The wood is of good quality as is always the case with Diana.

The screws are placed on the lower side since it is snot a break barrel type air gun:

Just two screws hold the rifle in place:

The Diana Air King 54, has side lever and it is a fixed barrel rifle. The lever requires some effort to load the spring, I am not sure how much in terms of force. A cocking guard prevents the lever from accidental closure when loading the pellet. A gentle press is all it takes to bring the side lever back to its position. The movement of slide lever and cocking guard spell precision. The feeling is great, no bumps, stops or jams. On closing the slide lever automatic safety is applied. As with Diana guns the safety can be easily released with one’s thumb just before firing the gun.

The lever when opened makes an angle roughly 120 degrees, anything less and it won't work:

the cocking guard and the rear sight:

Both the front as well as rear sights are adjustable. A small screw is required to be loosened to adjust the front sight. The ramp can be fitted with a scope, it requires stoppers though or the scope slides and has to be zeroed again.

The Best Part. The best part of Diana Air King is the recoil-less action. There is minimal recoil in the gun. This is achieved by a recoil-less mechanism consisting of a floating mechanism where the metallic part of the rifle (tube included) moves back on a rail while the pellet leaves the barrel. This backward action results is no or minimal recoil while at the same time improves accuracy. (As we shall see later). Although the movement is no more than 1” but even this is enough to compensate for the recoil. So basically the movement prevents spring vibration while the pellet safely exits, thus ensuring greater accuracy. Firing the King is a very nice and unforgettable experience.

The front sight is made of good quality plastic and is adjustable as well:

The safety along with slide rail. The metallic parts move till the pistol handle:

PRECAUTIONS

The slide lever requires some force to pull back to full position, it will make an angle of 120 degrees when fully opened. That is the point where cocking guard becomes effective. If the lever is not pulled back to its required position, the cocking guard will not function, will appear to be jammed. This is a dangerous position because at this point the rifle is not cocked. If at this time the lever is accidentally released you might injure your fingers/hand. After spending a little time with the rifle I was able to make out the cause. When the gun is fired the whole mechanism moves back by 3/4 to 1". It does not go back to its original position. So when you try to cock the rifle, it requires more force since it has to move the metal parts also. The way to avoid is to hold the rifle with the barrel pointing downwards (after firing it) and let the gravity work. The gun parts will automatically slide back to original position. Now the next cocking effort will not require much effort and won't even jam.

I found nothing wrong with the Air King 54. If there could be a sling attached to it, this would make it easy to carry in stead of tiring the hunter. I have seen hooks on some Diana models and I am sure with some good modification, these can be attached to it as well.

ACCURACY

Are you kidding me? Just see the results. The rifle was given to me with a Bushnell Scope (Chinese). I shot about 20 plus pellets and couldn't figure what was wrong. It would shoot groups and then would at once go haywire. The Chinese scopes loose zeroing after every few shots. So I removed the scope and shot at 20 and 25 M with Iron sights. I won't say anything about the results, just see the targets screen-shots. This rifle will not miss its mark.

Results at 20 M

Results at 25 M

CONCLUDING REMARKS

Like I said before it is a collector’s item. Its major pros are solid body, no recoil, reliability and excellent workmanship. I can find no drawback or downsides. The price in Pakistan is around Rs. 60,000 which is quite steep for and air gun, but then the King is a leading model and a purchase which no one will regret. It is an air gun which promises to give years of service to its owner.

Thanks to TGF member and dear friend fluffmaster for making the King available for a review. And congrats to fluffmaster for the solid purchase.

P.S. The target used was a standard 25 pistol target. I wasn't sure which target to use with this Air Gun. I also intended trying out this monster on more distance/range but 25 M was the maximum I could get in my lawn.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Review: Diana Air King Model 54

Sharp Shooter

Great stuff six-shooter. Enjoyed reading the review. Very informative.

Thankyou for the effort and to 'FluffMaster' for his support.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: REVIEW > RWS DIANA AIR KING MODEL 54

Site Admin

:text-bravo:

Good review six_shooter.

Thanks for the effort bro. :clap:

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Rifleman

pleasure,s all mine...Thanks for such a jaunty , sportive and yet informative review....proud that I own the beauty

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

:text-bravo:
Excellent effort and beautiful pics. Thanks OP and fluffmaster

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Excellent review of one of the best airguns one can buy. Enjoyed reading it. Thanks for the wonderful effort six_shooter :text-bravo:

Profile E-mail  

@ SA, KBW , Sahriq and Shooter. Bros, the pleasure is all mine.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: RWS DIANA 54 AIR KING > Review & Range Report

Rifleman

beware folks
u need a very good grip and control with air king, as this is a heavy rifle and for most of hunters, it would be a great disappointment in the start...that includes me.As I try to aim at the target,,,the barell swings and I instinctly know that the chances of a kill are scarce... and after a week of very average hunting sprees, I had been reduced to target practice and doing a lot of pushups to pump some extra strength into my arms.

having bought a genuine diana scope and a genuine diana full body mount,,,I seem to have regained my gun,s fitness for scoped shooting to a great extent. I am now able to shoot upto 50 yards with convenience and ,ve regained my shooting confidence.

prices :
scope : 7200/- from Bux Elahi, Lahore
Mount : 7000/- = = = = = = = = = =

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Scope and mount look great. How is the weight of the gun now ?

Profile E-mail  

@fluffmaster everything seems ok. But please note its breeding season, please do not hunt anymore doves. And do I see a "Shikra" (grey color) next to the scope?

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

In my view, RWS 54 is more of a bench rest shooting air rifle and has not been designed for hunters who have to walk long distances during hunting. For that purpose, RWS 34, RWS 35, RWS 48 and RWS 350 Magnum are more appropriate. If one is looking for carrying a gun long distances during hunts, RWS 54 AirKing is not the gun for him.

Relatively speaking, most RWS and Beeman models are on the heavier side as compared to similar purpose airguns from other manufacturers.

fluffmaster bro, for hunting, you may consider something like this............... much lighter (7.5 lbs), not as powerful as AirKing but good enough for doves and pigeons, quite accurate upto 40 yards if the shooter is worth his salt :)

Profile E-mail  

Rifleman

Shariq wrote:
Scope and mount look great. How is the weight of the gun now ?

thanks shariq...the weight is same though I seem to be getting accustomed to it

Profile E-mail  

Rifleman

six_shooter wrote:
@fluffmaster everything seems ok. But please note its breeding season, please do not hunt anymore doves. And do I see a "Shikra" (grey color) next to the scope?

no offence,,,but my neighbour has been complaining of these local falcons as hunting his pet pigeons,,,3 or 4 lost in the past week...so I had elimination of pests in mind when I shot it

the facts of dove,s breeding season are quite a controversial issue and in my effort to arrive at the facts ,,,I collected extracts from at least a dozen resources from the internet,,,which are listed below. There still is another question and that is how much of breeding season hunting has been discouraged in Islam.Whereas I agree that it is undesirable to hunt during a species breeding season,,,I must also observe that birds that are strong breeders ,,,may be an exception to this. Any ways I think the discussion , if supported by authentic analogy and reasoning, may be a good precedent to follow

The Mourning Dove is a member of the dove family . It is one of the most abundant and widespread of all North American birds. It is also the leading gamebird, with up to 70 million birds shot annually in the U.S., both for sport and for meat. Its ability to sustain its population under such pressure stems from its prolific breeding: in warm areas, one pair may raise up to six broods a year.Mourning Doves are prolific breeders. In warmer areas, these birds may raise up to six broods in a season. This fast breeding is essential because mortality is high. Each year, mortality can reach 58% a year for adults and 69% for the young.
The Mourning Dove is monogamous and forms strong pair bonds. Pairs typically reconvene in the same area the following breeding season, and sometimes may remain together throughout the winter. However, lone doves will find new partners if necessary.(wikipedia)

Breeding season
February through October

Collared Doves are now such common visitors to the garden, imagining that this bird did not live in Britain before the early 1950s is difficult. One reason for this is their long breeding season: March to October.

Though they lay eggs throughout the year, Laughing Doves main breeding season is from September to October or November, and from March to April.

On the average, a mourning dove will raise 3 broods during the breeding season which runs from March - September. Doves will generally return to the same areas they were hatched year after year.

Young doves stay with or near their parents for at least a week after leaving the nest. After that, they are pretty much on their own, although they may well stay around the territory they've come to know at least until next spring when the nesting season begins again and they must find their own territory. The parent birds frequently go on to raise more broods after the first one is fledged. Mourning Doves, for example, have been known to raise as many as five broods of babies in one season. Maybe that's why there are always plenty of Mourning Doves around!

The breeding season is very long; in the middle states it lasts from May to August and rarely to early September. The birds commonly rear two broods in a season, and Miss A. R. Sherman believes that they probably rear three sometimes. In her notes Miss Sherman says in substance:
The doves are so numerous and so secretive in their ways that it is not possible to say whether a pair of birds, which has nested in May or June, breed again late in June or July. When a nest is used twice in the same season, however, the assumption is that a pair of birds is using their own nest a second time.

Fall and Winter.--In regions where mourning doves are common, they begin to resume their gregarious habits soon after the breeding season is over.

Mourning doves have the longest breeding season of all North American birds. They can often have three broods in one season. (http://www.shgresources.com/wi/symbols/symbolpeace/ )

In warm climates, the Mourning Dove is a prolific breeder, producing up to six broods per year, more broods than any other native North American species. In the Pacific Northwest, it has been reported that as many as three broods have been produced in a single season by a single pair.

Profile E-mail  

Rifleman

KBW wrote:
In my view, RWS 54 is more of a bench rest shooting air rifle and has not been designed for hunters who have to walk long distances during hunting. For that purpose, RWS 34, RWS 35, RWS 48 and RWS 350 Magnum are more appropriate. If one is looking for carrying a gun long distances during hunts, RWS 54 AirKing is not the gun for him.

Relatively speaking, most RWS and Beeman models are on the heavier side as compared to similar purpose airguns from other manufacturers.

fluffmaster bro, for hunting, you may consider something like this............... much lighter (7.5 lbs), not as powerful as AirKing but good enough for doves and pigeons, quite accurate upto 40 yards if the shooter is worth his salt :)

well,,,i,d certainly differ on that. no rifle is made exclusively for target practice except the models that are used in competitive shootings. Airking is every bit a hunter,s rifle,,,carrying it on a sling will almost completely eliminate any fatigue...and I think hunting on foot in our town neighborhoods can be useful only if we have weight loss as the primary consideration. just get on a bike with a buddy if u want to take some thing to home on return

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

fluffmaster wrote:

well,,,i,d certainly differ on that. no rifle is made exclusively for target practice except the models that are used in competitive shootings. Airking is every bit a hunter,s rifle,,,carrying it on a sling will almost completely eliminate any fatigue...and I think hunting on foot in our town neighborhoods can be useful only if we have weight loss as the primary consideration. just get on a bike with a buddy if u want to take some thing to home on return

fluffmaster bro, I never said RWS 54 is exclusively a competition / target air rifle. Walther LG300, LG400, LG1250, Hammerli AR20, Anschutz 8003, 9003 etc are proper competition / target air rifles; Air King is not. This is what I wrote.............
KBW wrote:
In my view, RWS 54 is more of a bench rest shooting air rifle and has not been designed for hunters who have to walk long distances during hunting.

This was my view because most of the guys I have seen with RWS 54 use it for plinking, casual target shooting (which is a hobby in itself, different than proper competition shooting). By all means Air King can be used for hunting where it will perform extremely well because of its power, accuracy, range and recoil less action. The only problem which you yourself acknowledged would be the weight which would make it difficult to carry the gun for long distances and still enjoy one's hunt. This is about the common people. Off course there would be many who are fit enough to lift a 20 lb rifle, walk long distances without fatigue and still enjoy it. But many people with average physique / fitness won't. That is the point. And if carrying it on a sling almost completely eliminates any fatigue than its good for you because when it come to shooting, very few air rifles can match the performance of Air King. Good luck. :)

Profile E-mail  

Rifleman

you see,,,the issue here is,,,,what exactly is the most abundant breeding season of the doves? because if u follow the book and ban its hunting during the entire breeding season, i.e feb to oct ,,,one is left with not much time of the year when to hunt. hunting these days is for both pleasure and food as compared to olden times when it was more for food.the term "breeding season" has more relevance to the preservation of a species than to the Islamic injunctions of kindness to the animals.True that a pair might have young ones to care for in a nest and that shooting one of them would certainly result in the death of the young ones too...well I dont have a doubt on that,,,but what if they dont really have young ones ...there is an element of doubt that one may take benefit of...and if it is left to personal preference and understanding than many different people would have many different shades of opinion.
doves, sparrows, and mynas are three of the most common house birds and wether they are hunted or not,,,they have maintained a steady population around our households....never increasing or decreasing significantly...I am the only hunter in the entire suburb of valancia and I think I dont in any way threaten the species with occasional hunts. personally I consider march through may to be the most prolific breeding season and would certainly abstain from hunting during this season.I noticed that the dove population suddenly dropped so much a month ago,,,It was hard to find many.I think that was the breeding season,,,most of the doves were nesting so very few could be seen on the wires. They nested for the entire month , grw up the new ones and now all are out of nest, thus raising the population considerably.They might be breeding again ,,,but as I pointed out earlier ,,,there is no fun of prevention ,,,if it has to last the entire year.I just know that life,s getting difficult with each passing day for the hunter....very few can indulge in the pleasure of real hunt like antelopes or patridges and quails etc because of wild life deptt regulations...well if someone wants to ban the last bit of pleasure available,,,,by superfluous considerations,,, go on

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

@fluffmaster
These are not superfluous consideration Sir, these are the ethics and rules of hunting which all hunters are supposed to follow. Regardless of the length of their breeding season and frequency of breeding of a particular specie, it is un-ethical and illegal to hunt during breeding season. I am afraid you won't find many supporters of your argument on TGF as we strictly discourage hunting / fishing during breeding season and promote ethical hunting practices. Hope you would understand the spirit. :)

Thanks and regards

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

fluffmaster wrote:
you see,,,the issue here is,,,,what exactly is the most abundant breeding season of the doves? because if u follow the book and ban its hunting during the entire breeding season, i.e feb to oct ,,,one is left with not much time of the year when to hunt. hunting these days is for both pleasure and food as compared to olden times when it was more for food.

fluffmaster bro
Maybe unfortunate for many, but we are obliged to follow the book and laws of the land. We strongly discourage hunting/shooting against local laws. Kindly refrain from further debate on this subject. We have to adhere to the set guidelines.

@all, lets just praise and discuss this nice review and weapon :)

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

Sharp Shooter

+1 KBW and Saif.... on both counts.

Profile E-mail  

Rifleman

alright then,,,,no hunting during breeding season....thanx friends for frank n candid opinions

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

You are most welcome, brother :)

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Bro you can't imagine the severity of the itch after reading your review of this gun. I just can't wait to get my hands on it :)
Unfortunately I am on last warning by better half :( No more guns shopping. If I could just prove its not a gun!!! Its only an air gun. Will this argument stand ?

Profile E-mail  

@ Shariq bro, you need to learn a few skills in this area. If normal negotiations do not work, you bribe the other party, believe me it works every time. :) And if I may give a lead or tip, there are lots of Lawn exhibitions and displays nowadays, make use of the opportunity. Best wishes.

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

six_shooter wrote:
@ Shariq bro, you need to learn a few skills in this area. If normal negotiations do not work, you bribe the other party, believe me it works every time. :) And if I may give a lead or tip, there are lots of :angry-banghead: Lawn exhibitions and displays nowadays, make use of the opportunity. Best wishes.

:naughty:

:character-oldtimer: Bribing your better half is not a one-time thing, you do it once and and that hole in your pocket will never disappear.

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

SA there is no way out. I'll have to pay heed to six-shooters advice :) This gun is too tempting :pray:

Profile E-mail