THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:03 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: Extended VS Flush Mount Choke Tubes

Shooter

Please give/share your views/experience/knowledge regarding extended vs flush mount choke tubes.

Share the advantages and disadvantages of both.

When i see the web site of any known choke manufacturer,i see that they have classified chokes in different categories as sporting clays/skeet ,hunting,trap etc etc.is this a marketing tact or it is true that sporting clay chokes have poor patterns(when used for dove, duck etc hunting) as compared to hunting chokes and vise versa.

Can v use extended sporting clays trulock chokes on our baikal sporting and field o/u for hunting as well???

regards

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Extended VS Flush Mount Choke Tubes

Site Admin

Guys
:text-feedback:

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

No mater what you call it , A choke is a choke. the pattern is what you are concerned with, not what it is called.
If it works for hitting a clay target, why wont it be just as good in the field.
The same goes for flush or extended tubes.
How the choke is constricted, and the amount of constriction, will give you the pattern, with a perticular load.
My favorite shotgun has a 28" barrel and a Fixed Full Choke.
I hunt everything with the same gun, I just have to be a little more on target for Doves and Quail , or Skeet at close ranges.

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

I fully concur with LAGS on the subject.

My limited perception on the topic......

hunter468 wrote:
When i see the web site of any known choke manufacturer,i see that they have classified chokes in different categories as sporting clays/skeet ,hunting,trap etc etc.is this a marketing tact or it is true that sporting clay chokes have poor patterns(when used for dove, duck etc hunting) as compared to hunting chokes and vise versa.

Personally, I prefer to rationalize such thoughts from a somewhat simpler perspective – more a common sense approach, if you will.

The initial question that may spring to mind is what purpose is actually served by having a certain measure of constriction (choke) in a shotgun barrel – be that via a fixed or a screw-in tube? Naturally, the answer would be that it is to maintain an effective control on the density and spread of a shot pattern at a given range (distance).

Needless to mention, in the diverse sport of shot gunning (is that even a word?), there are way too many variables associated/involved when it comes to the matter of successfully achieving the intended pattern results. Again, from such a viewpoint, the component of choke (constriction) is just another although very crucial “cog in the machine” among many others.

The screw-in choke tube (the fixed choke, obviously not so :)) could well vary in terms of numerous different brands, styles/designs, sizes, colours, specialized versions as well as in the form of designated target/hunting chokes etc. However, what doesn’t (and shouldn’t) significantly vary is the amount of a constriction regardless of make given the standard of measure already in place (whether European or North American). Of course, what may vary though is the actual quality of construction of that screw-in tube or even a fixed one for that matter and that may influence performance to a major extent.

In other words, as the saying goes – “the proof will be in the pudding” – meaning that shooting at paper will be the sole method to properly ascertain the type of result(s) a specific shotgun/choke/ammo combo may deliver regardless of choke type used, expensive or otherwise etc.

hunter468 wrote:
Share the advantages and disadvantages of both.

Extended Chokes:
- Ease of installation, quick changes in all scenarios.
- Enhanced visibility, quick identification of choke type etc
- Simpler to remove in the event of seized threads.
- Ability to tighten with fingers, a good thing as that would prevent excessive torque. However, it is also important to maintain a consistent check during range sessions as that has a potential to become loose as well.
- Comparatively much more expensive.

Flush Chokes:
- Comparatively much less expensive (depending on brand/quality).
- Wrench needed for installation/removal, a good thing and simultaneously, not so good thing depending on which way the wind may blow on a given day. Try changing a choke tube in the field (300 miles away from home) only to realize that you have either simply forgotten to pack a wrench or packed the wrong one in your kit. Very simple remedy – staying organized in the first place!:)
- Seized threads will cause much stress and will likely involve professional assistance for effective resolution. Very simple remedy – always paying due diligence in the matter of proper maintenance i.e. cleaning and lubrication! :)

Fixed Chokes:
- Lack of flexibility may be an issue but not always a showstopper by any means.

hunter468 wrote:
Can v use extended sporting clays trulock chokes on our baikal sporting and field o/u for hunting as well???

One would be best served by consulting the company site and/or customer service for authentic info on the matter of compatibility as far as a specific firearm brand may be concerned.

TGF Expert Panel

I am not an avid target shot gunner.
But as far as names on the chokes like Sporting Clays, is there a Standard that you are required to use in sporting Clays competition, to make everybody equil, or limit the bore to certian constrictions?

As some of you have seen, there is Not a set standard for choke conctrictions.
It gets very confusing when you say IC, Modified or Full between brands.
And even if the constriction is the same, the Taper or length of the constriction is different.

I would think that with an extended choke, you would have more length to Vary the internal design of the choke.
Like making Longer slower tapers, or longer choke restrictions.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

AA and LAGS have very comprehensively described various aspect related to use of choke; whether fixed or screw in type, flushed, exstended or if I may add another category, the adjustable types.

I think a verdict can not be passed here that whether on should have flushed chokes on his shotgun or an extended one. AA has comprehensively described advantages and disadvantages of both. A lot would however depend upon the requirement / need. I agree with AA here that testing a pattern on paper is the only way to be sure about what you have got and does it fulfill your shooting needs / requirements or not. Off course, different shooter will have different requirement, depending upon the perceived use of the shotguns.

I own two Baikal shotguns, the semi-auto MP153 (commonly called Remington Spartan in USA) and IZH 27 which is the O/U model. Over the past 7-8 months, I tried various combinations of flushed, extended and even adjustable chokes. I carried out detailed pattern testing of each one of these chokes (their results are available in different threads). I have following observations on that account......

:arrow: Generally speaking, extended chokes (I used Colonial Arms elite ported chokes) performed better than flushed chokes (included Baikal factory chokes and Carlson chokes) with regard to patterns at longer ranges. I was able to shoot ducks at 50-60 M without much problem, using a Full extended choke.

:arrow: During hunting trips, it was much easier and quicker to change extended chokes as compared to flushed chokes which as AA pointed out, need a specific wrench to open and tighten. Extended chokes could be changed with hands, without using any tool. Broadly speaking, changing a flushed choke took 2-3 minutes while a new extended choke could be installed in less than 1.5 minutes. However, it still took considerable time which almost never allowed me to engage the same game flock with a changed choke. Off course, carrying different types of chokes on person is another headache, specially when you are climbing a mountain and carrying water, ammo and survival gear as well.

:arrow: This brings me to the adjustable chokes. I have got one on my Baikal MP153. Its patterns at different ranges are quite good but not the best that one can get. However, they are good enough to engage different types of game at different ranges. The hallmark of this choke has been the ease of changing constriction in the minimum possible time. During my recent hunting trip, I was able to fire first shot on Cylinder constriction at 20-25 M range and than engage the same flock effectively at 50 M within 3 seconds, after changing the choke to Extra Full constriction. No choke, whether extended or flushed, provides this flexibility. It does add extra weight to the shotgun and may cause balance issues with certain shotgunner though with me, it is working fine. Details are given here............
http://www.thegunforum.net/viewtopic.php?p=18361#p18361

Just my humble .02 :)

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Hunter468 these replies by LAGS, AA and Kbw Sb are the most comprehensive answers you or anyone else ( including me ) could hope to find anywhere on net. Hats off to the experts for the their time and effort for sharing their knowledge and practical experience.
I just wish adjustable chokes could fit my DSA Auto Loader or I could find any gunsmith who could do that for me.

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

LAGS wrote:
But as far as names on the chokes like Sporting Clays, is there a Standard that you are required to use in sporting Clays competition, to make everybody equil, or limit the bore to certian constrictions?

As far as I’m aware there are no hard requirements that may call for the use of specific choke type or specific constriction by competitors across the board at a given event. Heck, one could even use a Full for every presentation (crazy idea though :mrgreen: ) if that works for that individual!

There is, however, the rule where one is not permitted to use two different gauges in the same shotgun at the same time. For example, this could be from a perspective of using a 12ga shotgun with set of sub gauge tubes – perhaps such as a 20ga in the top and a 28ga in the bottom barrel etc.

As an afterthought, here's an informal glimpse at a Sporting Clay Choke Chart. Note the constrictions are all standard. The target size(s) could vary. It would be imperative to keep in view that the following may not be used as a reference for “one size fit all scenarios” due to the factor of variables involved.

@ KBW:
Sir, as usual an educative post! Thank you! :D

@ AA:
Sir, I have no knowledge about sporting clays, but the pics you have shared must be very useful for newbies getting into this sport!
Excellent Share! :D

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

Mangloo Ramzani wrote:
@ AA: Sir, I have no knowledge about sporting clays, but the pics you have shared must be very useful for newbies getting into this sport! Excellent Share! :D

Not sure if there may be a direct benefit just by looking at that attachment :) ......I merely put that up more as a response to LAGS' query - since that visual indicates the suggested choke constrictions (as one may note, those are also standard choke specs) even in the scenario of Sporting Clays.

Shooter

thanks a lot every body for very well response and esteemed sharing. :D
now 1 more question is that,i own a baikal izh 27 sporting with 28" ported barrels.the flushed chokes provided with the gun work great.i am looking to add some after market extended chokes to it(just to enhance the beauty as i like extended chokes on o/u ).
i am looking for trulock or colonial chokes.
should i go for the ported or unported??? :text-feedback:

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

@hunter468
Do you have something like this in your mind??

IMHO, if you are looking at enhancing the performance of the gun by installing extended chokes of good quality than it would be worth the effort. However, if the purpose is to just enhance the beauty of the gun and the original factory chokes are patterning as per your satisfaction than I am not sure whether putting in extended chokes is the right solution!! It's going to cost you anything between 150-200 $ (including shipment and duty). In much lesser money you can get your gun stock redone through a good gunsmith and that would enhance the beauty of the gun much more than extended chokes, in my view. :)

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

KBW wrote:
@hunter468
Do you have something like this in your mind??

IMHO, if you are looking at enhancing the performance of the gun by installing extended chokes of good quality than it would be worth the effort. However, if the purpose is to just enhance the beauty of the gun and the original factory chokes are patterning as per your satisfaction than I am not sure whether putting in extended chokes is the right solution!! It's going to cost you anything between 150-200 $ (including shipment and duty). In much lesser money you can get your gun stock redone through a good gunsmith and that would enhance the beauty of the gun much more than extended chokes, in my view. :)

absolutely not
the fact is that i have bought the gun (actually deposited the money before import),but it is at the dealer`s rack until i get my new licence in approx 12 days.i am not interested in ported chokes as my gun already has enough porting to knock the muzzle flip etc etc.i am looking not only for the beauty but for the better performance too
i am interested in golden or standard sporting clay choke tubes.what do u say about them???

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

hunter, if you don't want to screw in the chokes with a wrench / your not good in keeping stuff where it should be, buy extended, easy fitting.....

If you don't wana spend extra $, buy flushed..... result of both is 99 % the same.... Its ur personal preference.

Profile E-mail  

Any words of wisdom as to the Poly-Choke. $100.00 and you have a full range from Full to Cyl. The Carlson's are about $45.00 each gets a bit price-y

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

A Poly choke is nice and very versital.
The only thing I do not like, but it is NOT a Major issue, is the Poly choke makes the end of the barrel a little longer and heavier.
But that too is easy to get use to, especially for the versatility it ADDS

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

[wingman32]
Welcome to TGF. Be a part of brotherhood and enjoy your stay here :greetings-waveyellow:

As Larry mentioned, polychoke provides versatility and flexibility while hunting. Only sour point is extra weight but if one gets used to it than it's a great convenience. The patterns would be good enough but not the best that one can get. You can see the pattern results of poly choke with Baikal MP153 here.....
http://www.thegunforum.net/viewtopic.php?p=18361#p18361

regards

Profile E-mail