THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:18 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: Range Report > .22 LR shot with RUGER 10/22

Marksman

This is my first range report, and I formatted this loosely after the awesome .22LR range report from KBW. :handgestures-salute:

The purpose of this testing was firstly to find the best supersonic and subsonic ammunition for my Ruger 10/22, and secondly to share something with the good folk at TGF. I hope you find it useful.

The rifle is a Ruger 10/22, a couple of years old in excellent condition, synthetic stock with stainless steel barrel (camo tape applied), with scope and sand bags to remove shooter influence from the test as much as possible.

Note: this photo contains all the rifles I took to the range today, but this topic focuses on the ammunition fired through the Ruger 10/22:
    Remington 700 in .223 with 6-20 Weaver Scope with Gunworks suppressor
    Savage .17HMR with 5-15 Scope with suppressor
    Ruger 10/22 with 3-9 scope and suppressor (more on the suppressor later...) :oops:
    Rossi Puma .357 Magnum lever action rifle (for Cowboy Action Shooting)

Distance was 52M measured with range finder from muzzle to target.

Technique was deliberate fire with both hands, sitting on gun seat and bench with 3 sand bags to fully support the Ruger 10/22.

Aiming point was dead on the bull for all groups, with no scope adjustments at any stage.

No target point scoring as different ammo had different points of impact and I was not going to zero the scope for each ammo type.

The following ammunition was used in this range test:
    Aquila 38gn CPHP
    CCI Mini-Mag 36gn 1260fps CPHP
    CCI Subsonic 40gn 1050fps Lead HP
    CCI Velocitor 40gn 1435fps CPHP
    Federal 36gn Bulk CPHP (Blue Box)
    Fiocchi 38gn CPHP
    Kilwell Cobra 37.5gn CPHP
    Remington 36gn 1280fps Bulk CPHP (Golden Bullet)
    Winchester 333 36gn 1280fps Bulk CPHP
    Winchester Power Point 40gn CPHP
    Winchester Subsonic 40gn Lead HP

Where HP is hollow point (subsonics), and CPHP is copper plated hollow point (supersonics).

Aguila 38gn CPHP
I believe this ammunition to be from a brick of 500 High Velocity Aguila SuperExtra. I'm sorry I no longer have the original packaging to show you.

The accuracy is not as good as any CCI type tested, or as accurate as Winchester subsonics, but beats out everything else tested.

I would buy this again if CCI is not available when I need ammo urgently.

A brick of 500 Aguila is approximately NZ$60. Sorry I cannot find an exact price.

CCI Mini-Mag 36gn 1260fps CPHP
I have tried this for the first time, through my GSG1911 and Ruger 10/22, after being impressed with the accuracy of CCI Subsonic in previous range visits. Very similar group size to CCI Subsonics, but not as good accuracy as VELOCITOR!

Second best choice behind Velocitor for supersonic ammo accuracy wise, but excellent value at NZ$69 per 500 compared to NZ$119 per 500 for Velocitor!

CCI Subsonic 40gn 1050fps Lead HP
My favourite subsonic ammunition before today's range visit, and continues to be, but Winchester grouped not very far behind. If it wasn't for the FTE with Winchester Subsonic there might not have been much in it at all. With the FTE for Winchester then CCI wins out.

A brick of 500 CCI Subsonic is NZ$69

CCI Velocitor 40gn 1435fps CPHP
My first boxes of Velocitor, a very popular ammo according to the gun store where I bought it, and I can see why as it had the best groups of all ammo tested.

This is now my preferred supersonic ammunition for my Ruger 10/22. Wish I had known about it earlier!

The only (fairly major) downside is it is very expensive at NZ$119 per 500 compared to NZ$69 per 500 for CCI Mini-Mag.

Federal 36gn Bulk CPHP (Blue Box)
Poor performing bulk box load of loose 22 ammunition. Comes in a blue box, sorry I don't have the original packaging.

I'll never buy it again.

Can be had for as little as NZ$49 per brick of 525, but why would you, it really is poorly manufactured cr*p.

Edit: I should elaborate on this statement, projectiles were poorly shaped, some quite loose in brass, and most covered in a yucky in appearance residue.

Fiocchi 38gn CPHP
Adequate performer but not up to the accuracy standard of CCI or Aguila.

Edit: Manufacturing quality appears good though with very nicely formed projectiles, an aesthetic pleasure particularly when compared to the poor quality appearance of Federal bulk above!

Kilwell Cobra 37.5gn CPHP
One fail to feed (projectile bent as it went into chamber) and I was able to manually chamber it, but learnt a good lesson the hard way. I should have discarded the damaged round, as after firing it the suppressor I think has taken fatal damage as all following groups could not even hit A4 sized paper target at 52M. Removed suppressor and repeated all ammo tests without suppressor and groups returned to normal size.

:doh:

I notice this ammunition is headstamped "Super-X" so wonder if they are rebranding Winchester ammo? At 37.5 grains I'm not sure which Winchester ammo it might be though.

After poor accuracy and combined with my own error damaging my suppressor I'll never buy it again.

Remington 36gn 1280fps Bulk CPHP (Golden Bullet)
Second best performing bulk box loads of loose 22 ammunition, following Winchester 333.

Winchester 333 36gn 1280fps Bulk CPHP
Seems to be the best performing of the bulk box loads of loose 22 ammunition. If it hadn't been for the huge "flyer" on the 4th target it would have averaged a lot better group size. This wasn't shooter as rifle was well sand bagged in all tests.

A box of Winchester 333 rounds is NZ$29. This makes it the cheapest ammo in the test per cartridge.

Winchester Power Point 40gn CPHP
Suppressor developed fault so no suppressed groups.

This was my favourite super sonic ammo but I think from now on I will be using CCI Velocitors or CCI Mini-Mags!

A brick of 500 Winchester Power Point is NZ$85

Winchester Subsonic 40gn Lead HP
Suppressor developed fault so no suppressed groups.

One fail to eject. Group sizes very similar to CCI Subsonics so can substitute this if run out of CCI Subsonics.

A brick of 500 Winchester Subsonic is NZ$79

RESULTS SUMMARY
All brands of CCI ammo beat out allcomers for smallest group sizes. While this range report on its own doesn't really have enough groups fired (or ammo types!) to be statistically assertive, but when taken in conjunction with previous range days with various groupings CCI does seem to me to be very accurate ammunition of high quality manufacture. I cannot recall the last time CCI FTE or FTF.

Where accuracy is not quite so important and I need cheap ammo, the Winchester 333 bulk ammo was the best performing bulk ammo, and the cheapest of all ammo tested per cartridge.

Naturally the groups of the ultra high velocity CC Velocitor printed higher on the target than all other ammo, and subsonic ammo from Winchester and CCI was 2 inches below that of the supersonic ammo.

What was surprising is that normally ultra-high velocity ammo groups very poorly. The CCI Velocitor did well to group best at such high velocities, but you pay for it at the counter at NZ$119 per brick of 500. At NZ$0.24/round its by far the most expensive ammo tested.

Last edited by markypoos on Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: .22LR Ammo Testing > Range Report with Ruger 10/22

Master at Arms

I think reading it once does not do justice to such an excellent review. I am going to read it again and may be third time as well and would give my detailed comments then. :)

Since I have done it many times, I fully understand what kind of mental and physical labour goes into carrying out these type of tests. markypoos brother, hats off to you, such an effort can not be repaid in words.

I see that most of the ammos that you used are different from those that I used. That makes it an even better review as now we have practical knowledge about the performance of around 30 different brands of .22 LR ammos. Isn't that great.

Thanks a lot again for this fabulous effort. :handgestures-salute:

Profile E-mail  

This is some amazing testing done by you Markypoos bro! :text-bravo:

Will have a close look at the results and comment again!

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

:text-bravo:

Excellent review with indepth analysis at the end. As KBW mentioned, the above takes considerable resources (time, labor and cost) and we are grateful to you for sharing the results with us in such fine manner.

Really likes the summary analysis in the end. Thanks for raising the bar further up. :) :handgestures-salute:

Looking forward to more quality contributions from you in future as well.

:text-thankyouyellow:

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: .22LR AMMO TESTING > Range Report with Ruger 10/22

Master at Arms

markypoos
Read the report in detail again because yesterday I was short of time. Excellent report I must say again and in fact, I have noted down few things to improve upon my future reports. Now few obsns................

1. You used all hollow point bullets. Any specific reason for not using FMJ bullets?
2. Shooting 4 groups is far better than shooting just one (as in case of my tests) and gives a far surer idea of an ammo. A single good or bad group may be a fluke or a mistake.
3. Its good that you have not counted the score on target. Its really irrelevant once the scope and sights are not zeroed for that ammo. Only group size should be taken into account, as done in your tests.
4. I wonder how various brands of FMJ ammo would have performed? I have a hunch that they would have been more accurate and in most cases, you would have come up with groups of the size of 15 mm or less (with a scope).
5. After these tests, are you able to determine any group size as a standard that any good ammo must achieve. Say for example, 30 mm or less with a scope from 50 m OR something like it?

thanks and regards

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Hi KBW, thanks for your kind words earlier in the post, and for considered comments in your latest post:

1) and 4) I have not come across FMJ .22LR in any sporting stores. Perhaps if I were to ask for match ammo that would be FMJ? But then I would not hunt with that as not as humane as devastating hollow points against rabbits and hares?

2) My preference would be to shoot six 5 shot groups from a cool barrel with each ammunition before condemning with certainty for the reasons you state. Group size can vary a lot from one group to the next and you need to get a feel for an ammo's consistency, so one or two 5 shot groups alone I feel is insufficient. However time constraints meant I could only get 4 targets printed for each ammo, and 2 targets for some ammo types after the suppressor started blowing group size out on the last 3 ammos tested.

5) that is a good question. 30mm would be what I would hope hollow points would group into at 50M off sand bags with an optical scope. Well within "Minute Of Rabbit". :D

Kind regards,
Mark

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

markypoos,

Thanks for a detailed reply. :)

I did not test as many types of hollow points as you did mainly because of the reason that I could only get 3 brands of JHP from Quetta, the place where I live. FMJs are available in many brands, however. And as you know, ammo in Pakistan is quite expensive, like 100 to 200 US $ per 500 for various brands, CCI being at the upper limit :mrgreen:

Though I tested only three brands of JHP, however, I found all of them inherently less inaccurate than the FMJs. As you know, I shot all loads from iron sights and sights of Stevens 87A are not really great, just the basic type. Even than, some of the FMJ brands gave me less than 40 mm groups consistently from 100 M, with iron sights, whereas I found it hard to achieve such groups even from 50 M with JHP. JHP therefore should be the choice when target shooting, I fully agree on this.

For hunting, I agree that technically JHP is better with regards to humane killing. However, I believe a very important aspect with regard to humane killing is accuracy as one should be able to achieve a hit at the vitals. IMHO (I may be wrong), FMJ has far better chances of hitting the vitals thus achieving a humane kill (even from 100 M). what do you say about this?

Shooting six groups of 5 bullets each would be ideal to determine the performance of an ammo, if one has time and can afford it. However, even 4 group of 5 bullet each are enough, in my view, to give a fair idea of the ammo capability. At least it is far better than single group analysis which I followed, mainly due to economic reasons :mrgreen:

thanks and regards

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Wow, ammo is very expensive over there! I can understand the financial restrictions imposed on your testing.

You are a much better shot than I to be shooting 40mm groups at 100M with open sights. :handgestures-salute:

When I am hunting with the Ruger 10/22 I am shooting off hand while stalking at distances no further than 50M, beyond that I have very little chance of hitting the rabbit, especially with subsonics which fall off very quickly at longer ranges. If I'm lucky and can find a tree or fence post to lean on I might be able to stretch out to a max of 75M and hit the bunny.

If you can hit a bunny at 100M then the FMJ sounds like a good way to ensure a clean hit to the vitals.

At longer ranges (75M-250M) I switch to the Remington 700 with harris bipod and 6-20x scope and blast them with a 50-55 grain .223 projectile from a shake free platform. Hit/miss percentage with the .223 is very high (75% hit) compared to the .22LR where I miss a lot of the time off hand (30% hit?) but I do have a lot of follow up shots with the Ruger's 10 shot magazine. :D

If you add up how many shots of .22LR I use to kill a bunny compared to the .223 it probably works out at a very similar cost per kill!

Kind regards,
Mark

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

First day out to my local range for a while and thought I'd update this thread with some of my observations.

After destroying my .22LR suppressor last range review by firing a bent projectile through it I've since replaced it with a "Bunny Buster Slim Jim" suppressor.

Quote from the auction website I purchased the suppressor through:

Quote:
130 mm long and 0.92" in diameter (same size as the 10/22 bull barrel), and weighs just 75 grams. No washer design. The silencer core is one piece, cut out of one solid piece of alluminium. Carbon sleeved as seen in the picture. Standard 1/2" 20 Tpi thread. Works with hyper velocity ammo.

I only fired CCI Subsonics through the suppressor today, but was very happy with the accuracy and sound levels.

I was shooting some .177 pellets at some Gamo targets I'd bought from the local outdoor supplies store and had a clean target nailed up that I HAD to put some holes in, it would be a waste just to take it down again right?

So at 15 meters I fired 5 x 5 round groups of CCI subsonic from the ruger 10/22 at it.

This was the most extreme occurrence of parallax affecting accuracy that I've ever encountered. The sight is a nice Bushnell Elite 3200, but with no parallax adjustment on it. As I wound the zoom up the parallax issue become very pronounced and the cross hairs were out of focus. With the rifle solid on sand bags and cross hair on the bull I then moved my head around slightly and watched the cross hair move alarmingly all around the target, about an inch of movement on the 15M target in all directions.

Top left and centre targets were shot at max zoom, before backing the zoom right off and shooting the other three targets resulting in all holes touching. If you want to shoot accurate groups at a fixed, and short, distance it seems that a parallax adjustable scope is essential!

Kind regards,
Mark

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Very nice update Mark. However, I am a little confused why you conducted these tests from 15 M? I think at such a short distance, both ammo and rifle would over perform. And which Bushnell Elite 3200 are you using, is it 3-9x40? I think from 15 M, the scope might perform better at 3 or 4 magnification and the parallax issue might also be resolved.

Do you have any plans to conduct the same test from 50 or 75 or 100 M??

regards

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

I was shooting my air rifle at 15 meters, so the target was already setup at that distance. :-D

If you're a good boy I'll post a range report on the Gamo SOCOM Tactical rifle and the pellets I was using. ;)

Yes, a 3-9x40, at 9 power parallax badly affected accuracy at that range, on 3 power not so much of an issue.

Kind regards,
Mark

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Wow wow wow!

Thanks for bumping this thread. I did not know it existed here. Really liked the way you covered different ammo tested in such a detailed manner. Found it very useful.

Excellent report.

Oh yes, I would love to see that range report on your Gamo SOCOM tactical rifle. When is it coming?

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

Thanks for another nice update Mark.

Eagerly waiting to read your Socom range report :)

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

markypoos wrote:
RESULTS SUMMARY
All brands of CCI ammo beat out allcomers for smallest group sizes. While this range report on its own doesn't really have enough groups fired (or ammo types!) to be statistically assertive, but when taken in conjunction with previous range days with various groupings CCI does seem to me to be very accurate ammunition of high quality manufacture. I cannot recall the last time CCI FTE or FTF.

Where accuracy is not quite so important and I need cheap ammo, the Winchester 333 bulk ammo was the best performing bulk ammo, and the cheapest of all ammo tested per cartridge.

Naturally the groups of the ultra high velocity CC Velocitor printed higher on the target than all other ammo, and subsonic ammo from Winchester and CCI was 2 inches below that of the supersonic ammo.

What was surprising is that normally ultra-high velocity ammo groups very poorly. The CCI Velocitor did well to group best at such high velocities, but you pay for it at the counter at NZ$119 per brick of 500. At NZ$0.24/round its by far the most expensive ammo tested.

In some cases, accuracy (group size) is better (smaller) without suppressor while it's the opposite in some other cases.

Any particular reason(s) behind this?

:text-feedback:

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

hmmm........ a Gamo SOCOM. :drool:

Eagerly waiting to see the review and target results of SOCOM :violence-snipersmiley:

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

SA wrote:
In some cases, accuracy (group size) is better (smaller) without suppressor while it's the opposite in some other cases.

Any particular reason(s) behind this?

Not sure I've shot enough groups with/without suppressor that the differences aren't just in the shooter.

What I'm going to be doing moving forward is repeating these .22LR ammo tests over and over at the same distance with the same rifle and various ammo types so I can get an average of at least 6 five shot groups with/without suppressor so we can draw some more conclusive results.

By the way, anyone in the USA want to post me a couple of these to New Zealand? :-D

http://www.ruger.com/news/2011-04-29b.html

Kind regards,
Mark

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

SOCOM review and range report is up at http://www.thegunforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1111.

Kind regards,
Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Range Report > .22 LR shot with RUGER 10/22

Shooter

This is a superb range report. I haven't read a similar quality , well written and detailed review anywhere on the internet.

Two thumbs up!

Profile E-mail