THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:36 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: Caliber Review > .270 WINCHESTER

TGF Expert Panel

.270 Winchester

This caliber was introduced in 1925 in the Winchester Model 54 Rifle. it is based on the 30-06 case by necking it down and to prevent it from being chambered in a 30-06 the case is lengthened to 64 mm.

It is one of the most popular and successful hunting cartridges, specially ideal for sheep hunting except may be the marco Polo's Sheep and the Argali of Mongolia.

It fires bullets weights of from 90 grains to 150 grains

90 grain bullet.

It has BC of 0.201 to .303 and an SD of 0.186

A max velocity of about 3500 ft per sec can be achieved with this bullet and it is good for varmints being very explosive and fast out to 300m it is only good for jackals/coyotes

130 grain bullet

This is best performer of the 270 bullets at long range it has a fairly good BC of .412 with boat tail bullets and an SD of .242, this makes it suitable for thin skinned animals and ideal for sheep like Urial, Gad and Sindh Ibex

150 grain bullets

These have a good BC of .489 with boat tail bullets and .455 with flat base.
These can be fired at up to 2850 ft/sec when hand loaded these are good for most heavy boned thin skin animals like Himalayan Ibex and the Neel Gai ( World second largest Antelope )

Personnel views and Comments

While the 270 is a great cartridge but the 7mm has many more options in bullet weights and shapes. The difference in bullet diameter is only .007 ( 7mms .284 in, vs the .277 of the 270 ). The 7mm has from a 120 to 190 grain options with much higher BC and SD.

Most 270s today are with 22 inch barrels which further reduces the velocity some what and in comparison the 7mm mag is much faster and even the 30-06 when (hand loaded )

In Pakistan we have a very limited bullet choice and I have seen people wound Neel Gai with several shots from a 270 firing 130 grain soft points, where as a heavier bullet like the 150 grain which is rarely available could have done the job with one carefully placed shot. Shot placement is most important but a Neel Gai big Male has a very tough skin and I have seen bullets not penetrating past the shoulder into the lung cavity. Bullets placed behind the shoulder angling towards the far shoulder are very effective.

Again although the .270 is an effective long range cartridge I have seen it some what over shadowed by the 7mm Magnum when shooting the Himalayan Ibex at long range.

For the biggest wild boars at least 150 grain bullets must be used.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: .270 WINCHESTER > Caliber Review

Marksman

Nice share Ghazi sb......... .270 is one of my favorites with an exception that i have used it only on animals equivalent to a size of a hog deer..... u have already mentioned the reason in post "AVAILABILITY ISSUE IN PAKISTAN"....... even 150 is bit smaller for Neel Gai

Profile E-mail  

Rifleman

Dear Ghazi Sahib,Nice discussion But you slightly under estimate the .270.My personal experience with .270 is marvelous.I am using .270 since 1987.Two times in my hunting carrier i shot Two animals in a single shot.One of them was Two BIG Wild Bores and second was Two URIALS in a single shot.My experience of NEEL GAI with .270 is also very good.I shot more than ten Blue Bulls with my .270 using 150 gr. bullet in my life.Actually hunting with rifle is totally depends upon THE PLACEMENT OF BULLET.

REGARDS

ABDUL WASSAY KHAN

Profile E-mail  

Regional Ambassador - Multan Chapter

@AWK, brother you are right in saying that bullet placement is everything in rifle shooting. I had shot many a wild boar with .22 Hornet but that doesn't qualify it for Boar hunting. Sir Ghazi has given an overall review of the caliber and excluding quality marksmanship. We always wait for his inputs laden with decades of hunting experiences all over the world.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Mustanir wrote:
@AWK, brother you are right in saying that bullet placement is everything in rifle shooting. I had shot many a wild boar with .22 Hornet but that doesn't qualify it for Boar hunting.

Absolutely agreed Mustanir bhai. I once shot a wild boar with .22 LR rifle and another one with 9mm pistol. These were lucky shots, specially .22LR and do not qualify these calibers to be appropriate calibers for wild boar shooting. :) Unbelievable things can however be done when one gets to know his weapon / ammo very well and learns the art of shot placement. However, here we are talking of average performance of ammo based on use by an average guy.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

@AWK bro

What Sir Ghazi has mentioned above about this calibre is in comparison other calibres that he has used, and on the ballistics data as well. It does not mean that .270 Win is being underestimated. The point is: there are better and more versatile options available. As you have seen, others have used .22 and 9mm for hunts, but they do not stand a chance against .270

Personal preferences and experiences always vary :)

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

Rifleman

Absolutely right I was never planned for Two animals in single shot it was chance in both the cases.Once our Pir sahib shot a Urial having 30 inches with .22 that was also a chance.I just share my experiences with my .270 win.

REGARDS

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Thanks for the share Wassay sahib. Now we are waiting to see few pics of your hunts. I am sure it would be a wonderful edition to the hunting section :)

Profile E-mail