THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:34 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: Caliber Review > 7mm REMINGTON MAGNUM

TGF Expert Panel

7mm REMINGTON MAGNUM

The 7mm Remington Magnum introduced in 1962 is the most popular and successful belted magnum cartridge in the world.

In Africa of course the grand father of all belted magnums the .375 H&H magnum is the most successful and popular. Although the 7mm Weatherby magnum, the 7mm Mashburn Magnum and the 7x61 Sharpe and Hart are senior to it by decades but could not get the same popularity as the Rifles were European made and expansive, the ammo was also difficult to obtain. In Europe the 7x64 Brenneke is very popular.

The 7mm magnum is the best compromise cartridge for Long Range Big Game hunting. Bullets of larger diameter have to be much heavier to give good Sectional Density for penetration and higher Ballistic Co-efficient to retain high velocity at longer ranges

Its felt recoil is not very different from a 270 Win ,a 30-06 or even a 308 Win. It fires from 110,115,120 130 140,145, 150,160,170,175 and also the 190 grain bullet.

The lighter than 120 grain bullets are not good as these have a propensity for self destruction after going a 100 yds or so , I have personally experienced this with the 120 Nosler varmint bullets designed for 7mm handgun use at 2000 FPS or so. ( Contender Pistols and XP 100 types)

I unknowingly hand loaded and fired these in my magnum and although these would make 3/4 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yds I could not find a single bullet hole on a 4x4 feet target at 200 yds, coming back to 100 yds I shot again; and again a 3/4 inch group and only then I noticed the bullet holes had Comet Tails the bullets were already coming apart and some observers told me that there is a puff of smoke just beyond the 100 yd line each time I fired. I later had this phenomenon confirmed. Very light Varmint bullets should not be fired at the Very high magnum velocities.

The best long range bullets for the 7mm magnum are between the 150 and 175 grains.

I am giving the trajectory of the 160 Grain Spitzer Boat Tail Bullet with a BC of .560 fired at an MV of 2975 FPS

Data From Speer Reloading Manual Number 12.

The 7mm rem mag is a very versatile long range cartridge and from Urial to Himalayan Ibex to Marco Polo sheep , to Brown bear, and Neel gai one is never under gunned and never worried about the trajectory. How ever longer than 300 yds shots should only be taken with range confirmation through a Laser Range Finder and when the wind is not too strong.

I print and tape the trajectory and wind deflection on the stock and cover it with transparent tape.It comes handy.

Please Zero your Rifle at a 100 yds from a sitting position with the rifle firmly rested on a sand bag or some thing, make sure the barrel is not touching any thing and squeeze off at least two five shot groups. Bullets are never wasted on paper, you will end up firing only one good shot on game and be pleased with the out come. When using a 7mm Rem mag on small animals please use the heavy 175 grain or 160 gr bullets as these will not ruin the meat and also give you excellent trajectories .

Happy hunting.

JU

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: REVIEW > 7mm REMINGTON MAGNUM

Shooter

great review sir.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Easy to understand review for novices like me. Thank you very much Sir

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

A great review Sir, keep them coming. It's always a treat to read these concise yet comprehensive reviews. :)

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

As usual excellent review Ghazi Sir.. thanks for sharing.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Caliber Review > 7mm REMINGTON MAGNUM

Shooter

Nice Review.
I love 7mm Rem Mag the most of all rifles. I love it due to its accuracy and stopping power and you explained it well.

Some seniors recommend 150 grain with this caliber to be the best and most accurate at longer distances

Profile E-mail