THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:41 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: Caliber Review > 7x57 MAUSER

TGF Expert Panel

7x57 or 7mm MAUSER

7X57 or 7mm Mauser was designed by Paul Mauser in the year 1892 and adopted by Mexico and many other Latin American countries Armies to be used in Mauser bolt action rifles and even some machine guns. In the energy department it has almost the same power as a .270.

The 7mm has taken the biggest and most dangerous game on the planet.

In all fairness, success on large dangerous game is due mostly to the SKILL and EXPERIENCE of the hunter, Proper Bullet selection and Placement in the Vitals.

The 7mm is a very versatile caliber, it has bullets with a very high Section Density and very high Ballistic Co-effient.

Bullet Weight & Shape SD BC

130 gr Spitzer Flat base .230 .394

145 Gr Spitzer Flat base .257 .457

145 Gr Spitzer Boat tail .257 .502

160 Gr Spitzer Flat base .284 .502

160 Gr Spitzer Boat tail .284 .556

175 Gr Mag Tip Flatbase .310 .385

175 Gr Grand Slam .310 .465

There are 130, 120 grain bullets also but these are Varmit bullets and are very destructive on edible game like chinkara etc so I have not mentioned about these lighter bullets with limited use. The SD and BC given is of Speer bullets but it is a fair guide line for other makes of bullets.

The factory ammo is loaded to only a pressure of 46000 CUP as very old rifles are in service as well; other wise when hand loaded it is clipping heels of the .270, and the Remington 7mm Express, .280, .284 win etc The 145 gr bullets can be safely fired at 2900 FPS ( with slow burning powder)

The 160 ( an ideal long range and big game bullet in 7mm) can be fired at 2800 feet per sec with proper slow powder

The 175 Grain bullet can be fired at 2775 FPS again with slow powders.
Some of the German ammo and hand loads make it preferable over even the.270 for Big game hunting (in my humble opinion because of better heavier bullets which do not sacrifice velocity when heavier bullets are used.

It is an excellent caliber with good rifles available cheaply because there was no Tax on it as late Field Marshal Ayub Khan a great hunter and Rifle man had laid this policy to encourage an armed public as a second line of defense, against our aggressive and belligrent nieghbour

It has little recoil, the rifles are light weight and very accurate.

Two 7x57 cartridges next to a 7.5x55 / GP11 (mid), .308 Win and .223 Rem (far right)

The 7X57 has nearly identical ballistics a the .308 Winchester. The 7mm bullets of 160 grain and 175 grain have very high BC. For shooting upto 400 yds and more the 150 and 160 grain bullets are very good choices. In this case the Trajectory is as under;

When a Rifle firing a160 grain bullet @ 2600FPS is zeroed to shoot point of Aim at 300 yards the trajectory will be as follows;

100yds >>> 200 yds >>> 300yds >>> 400yds >>> 500yds
+5.1 ins >> +5.9 ins >>>>> 00 >>>> 13.6 ins >>> -36 ins

Energy at 500 yds will be 1201.6 ft lbs, Time of flight will be 0.6865 seconds

We can observe these are similar ballistics to a .308 Win Sniper Round.

I will Quote " American military Riflemen never experienced a more dramatic introduction to a cartridge. The date was June 24 1898 as the Rough Riders and Theodore Roosvelt (Late US President )advanced on foot at the start of the battle of Las Guasimas in Cuba; they were fired upon by Spanish Snipers and the US riflemen suffered the heaviest casualties in a battle in such a short time. The sound of the in comming bullets was a strange as z-z-z-z-z- rising to a crescendo then with a thud would sink into some one who moaned, the Spanish Snipers were equipped with 7X57 Rifles, where as the American soldiers at that time were equipped with 45-70 type rifles with a rainbow trajectory. " unQuote

The 270 performs very well with only the 130 gr bullets with the 140 and 150 the only other two commonly available bullets it loses its velocity and charm.The 7mm performs well with all weights and has a larger choice of available bullets alas it is only a caliber on its own with the Hand Loaders.The 7X57 spawned other cartridges like the 30-06, the 270 and all others based on these cases it is known as the GRAND DADDY of all modern Rifle Cartridges .

Questions are Welcome.

JU

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: REVIEW > 7x57 or 7mm MAUSER

Shooter

Sir very informative. I couldn't think there could be so much change in BC going from flat base to boat tail(referring to the data provided in the article).
Your articles on rifle ammo are a treat to read and are providing so much useful information without using the rocket science.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

I absolutely second HJ sahib. Its a treat to read these reviews from Ghazi sahib and I am always waiting for them. :)

thanks for the effort Sir

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Khalid Bin Waleed wrote:
I absolutely second HJ sahib. Its a treat to read these reviews from Ghazi sahib and I am always waiting for them. :)

thanks for the effort Sir

Absolutely agreed... :)

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

It has taken the most number of Elephants in Africa.

I have a pair of these.

There is an interesting anecdote about this caliber that I will share in detail here some time.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Sir do you think this round is an overkill for a medium size Boar at 50 to 70 Yards ?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 7x57 or 7mm MAUSER > Caliber Review

Shooter

Sir Ghazi,

139g/SP hand loads got mean velocity 2905 fps in BSA & 2917 fps in CZ, with no pressure signs. the cases were full re-sized. Even with the neck size I will stick to the above load.

:text-feedback:

Last edited by shano shah on Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 7x57 or 7mm MAUSER > Caliber Review

Regional Ambassador - Multan Chapter

Sir this is a very respectable caliber and utterly neglected by Riflemen,, I have been shooting 30-06 for most of my hunting life,, very recently I got a 7mm BSA incidently and after shooting with it I realized that it can be a good choice for the most of the game found in our region. Sir Ghazi has written an exquisite review like always. :handgestures-salute:

Profile E-mail