THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:12 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: Locally Manufactured 9x19 Luger > Review & Range Report

Shooter

Thanks for the detailed answered KBW sir. I know the copper melts that around 1k C and Lead around 700C for a good molding. but didn't know that molds such as Lee can't handle copper. Can you plz direct me plz to copper bullet molds?

Reason for asking was that I saw hundreds of full copper Horandy bullets today for .270, along with a complete reloading equipment. Horandy molded were superb to say the least.

We have so much local talent with lack of direction and knowledge, so a little bit of both should be able to get some things right.

I hope to get my hands on all this very soon as I'd love to reload - local gunpowder will do (based on your researcg, and I would test each batch for what the velocity would be) as that is hardest thing to import. My brother is going to bring 9mm dies set from USA on his next tip. Primers I have asked a friend's major PK importing and manufacturer friend in china to ship here in his containers. I don't need a large quantity. 1000 or so will do, and those are just 10 packs of 100 primers in each.

Sir, can the weight of 115 copper grain bullet be aligned with a SS insert in the middle on the bullet during molding? If is it that too difficult? or increase grain of copper bullet to bring align it with 115 lead bullet? Both 1kg weights of Copper and Lead weigh the same, so please teach this noob why the grains would be different, as 1kg of both Copper and Lead contain the same identical 15K+ grains.

Lastly, Lee molds are made of Aluminium ... does Alu react with Copper making it unsuitable? I read somewhere that there are people using in USA using Lee molds for full copper bullet making. How about Stainless Steel molds, would those will be suitable for copper instead since SS has a much higher melting point of 1500C+ versus Copper melting point of appx 1050C?

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

I kg of lead and copper will of course weight one kg but the size will be different.

As per my knowledge, there are no copper molds available in the market for bullet casting. Factories must be having such arrangements but it's not available to reloaders, as per my knowledge. BTW, may I ask why are you insisting on copper bullets? Any advantage? Why are we trying to invent something new? I am yet to see a reloading manual that gives data for casted copper bullets.

Most important thing here. Reloading is an exact science and MUST NOT BE UNDERTAKEN WITHOUT COMPLETE UNDERSTANDING. THERE IS NO ROOM FOR ERROR IN RELOADING.

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

Size should be adjustable by lengths of the bullets to assure equal grain.

Sir, as you know that it is not something new as copper bullets are becoming common in USA. They are relatively new'ish per se. I guess Lee and others have not decided to come up with Copper molds for bullets due to some patent(s).

The reason why I am looking in to copper is due to lead fouling of the barrels. Lead obviously is the cheapest metal to use for casting, but with many known cons for the barrel. Hence copper is the main research point at present and it is not expensive at 650rs for kg here.

And Sir, I totally understand that reloading is a science in itself. I may have stressed a bit (too much perhaps) in the past that I used to build race cars and tolerances were critical drivers for a busted engine or an engine completing number of races as it should. I would never embark on reloading myself unless I have someone spend a fair bit of time teaching me on the workshop table and quality testing my small production run.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Melting of lead is a relatively simple thing but copper requires elaborate arrangements. I am sure you must be possessing better knowledge than me on metallurgy. Unless the specs and reloading data of a bullet is given in the reloading manual, it is not safe to reload. I haven't seen any reloading manual with copper bullets data, yet.

If one cleans the gun regularly and properly, lead bullet do not cause much problem in my view. Branded copper bullets are quite expensive, even in USA. Copper jacketed lead bullets are a much better choice for Pakistan and if that is not possible, cast lead bullets will do.

regards

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

KBW sir, if we can meet and you can hand me an S&B round, I can have copper precision bullets milled of the same spec inc weight (maybe the bullet will be longer and sit deeper in the casing) but that could be a worthwhile experiment just to see the results ... what say you?

Actually I have quite a few S*B 124gr and Chinese 9mm rounds ... taking them apart is something i have not done (cheap man pliers perhaps) ... I can get them made in different designed as per Lee's website ... rest I will have to leave it to you for testing.

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

wroth a shot ... while we are experimenting? i dont mind the cost of a few bullets being disected and copper ones milled

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

KBW - WoW...!!! what an extensive research work carried out...I must say it took a very long time to compile that report, not to mention to complete the exercise on the whole...

Would you suggest Fake FAE is safe for usage now as well? OR, would you recommend that a test be carried out to see if they produce the same results as they did 2 years back?

Cheers and thank you very much...

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

I do not recommend any locally manufactured / reloaded pistol ammo from a non-registered manufacturer at the moment. POF happens to be the only registered pistol / rifle ammo manufacturer with proper manufacturing facilities and they are making very good ammo. Other than that, I haven't seen any.

regards

Profile E-mail  

Rifleman

Very nice and informative report dear KBW its can guide our local reloaders as well us members.

BTW is any one over here invlolve in reloading ?

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

Time to revive this thread... @KBW...

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Graffiti in ruins of Pompeii (in the basilica): The one who buggers a fire burns his p....

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11