THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:28 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: Norinco CQ Rifle Review

The CQ 5.56 is the estranged doppelgänger of the famous AR 15 rifle by Colt. The thing is pretty much a rage nowadays in our country, thanks to the abundantly available and cheap (not for long) ammo; a legacy of the NATO presence in Afghanistan for the last 13 years or so. While the original AR15 costs a fortune here; the CQ 5.56 as it is called is the next best alternative for men who fantasize more about guns than about anything else. Till the time Sarsilmaz decides to bless the land with its product (that promises quality at a price in between the AR and the CQ) men in Pakistan will proudly boast their CQs, with good reason off course ;)

When a dear friend and fellow forum member (thank you! Zain ;) ) offered or invited (you actually don't invite gun aficionado or even offer him, you just slightly mention it to him) me for a chance to cuddle, cajole and play with this thing he'd recently bought, at the cherry popping session, how was I to refuse. And when he called and asked me to bring WD-40 and some cleaning stuff, I knew she was virtuous! ;) And mind you gentlemen, no mention was made of bringing along any sort of protection! which sort of reminded me of a friend who I met last night at dinner. The man, lectured whole TGF Man Comm in "issues" related to "protection" and what to do when... ;)

So before I say something about it, let me tease you guys with its pics. The review or whatever you may call it follows....

photo sharing sites
Here's what she looks like. With a 14.5 inch barrel and not more than 2.9 kgs weight, its compact and controllable.

pic host

pc screenshot
The synthetic stock is retractable, well nothing new here. The quality is just fine.

photo uploader
The stock can be extended to one's liking by pressing the catch at the base.

gifs upload
The rifle has Black Matte finish. I wasn't particularly impressed with the quality of finish. It is just ok.

image url
You can see the finish isn't something to die for. I also found small dings on the metal surface, probably because of transportation. The pistol grip is also synthetic. The CQ is a semi-auto! Engaging/disengaging safety with thumb for a right handed person is easy. The carry handle on top is very characteristic of the M16,M4 and Ar15 rifles. The elevation and windage setting is at the the same place as in case of Ar15, i.e behind the carry handle. The carry handle can be removed for mounting a scope.

photo uploading
The pistol grip is synthetic. You can see its quality in the close up pic. It has checkering on the sides and serrations at the back. There is just one hump for the firer's thumb. Overall good quality, the grip is comfortable and won't slip in case of sweaty hands.

upload gambar

We were short of time and could not open the whole thing. But just opened it enough to have a glance at the innards. The quality of machining was good though not exceptionally good.

My Candid View. The CQ is a compact, light weight weapon. The build quality is good but could have been better. I found small dings on the metallic parts but this could have been due to transportation. The matte finish is ok but not exceptional. Zain told me no instructions manual was supplied with the rifle. This resulted in sometime before we could zero it at the range using hit and trial approach. The magazines were also 20 round and with Black matte finish.

Shooting Experience. Brother Zain zeroed the rifle in about 7 shots from 100 M. Since we did not have an instructions manual so we relied on hit and trial, but it did work save for the last three inches error to the left. Being contended with it we proceeded to fell the 18" x 12" metal plates at 260 M, at the Rangers Shooting Club with iron sights. I must confess it was the first time I ever fired a 5.56 mm ammo and was pleasantly surprised at the minimalistic recoil. Since the rifle was hitting 3 inches to the left (9 o clock) and we had no method of reducing this error so in our reckoning at 270 M the error had to exacerbate to 9 or 10 inches to the left. So after a correction shot I and Zain were hitting the plates. It was pure fun, handling a light, compact, recoil-less, inexpensive rifle. The trigger was a tad bit hard with some pre-travel but not very bad. A smooth pull resulted in consistent hits at the metal plates. We used green tipped NATO ammo. Sometime in between GP fished out a box of Chinese 5.56 ammo. We decided to try it and experienced ejection problem which resulted in feeding after just one round (or a double feed). This was tried three times and every time the same thing happened. After that a full mag of NATO rounds was fired by Zain flawlessly. The problem could have been Chinese ammo. Later Zain told me he had heard of similar problem with Chinese ammo in CQ mags. Well one could try Magpull for a change if available. Firing in rapid (semi-auto) mode was pure fun. Zain averaged about two shots per second which isn't all that bad.

The CQ 5.56 is available for Rs 155k to 185k depending on where you buy it from. The ammo is considerably cheap (as of now) and is available in plenty. The rifle is well made and with less restrictions on this caliber in semi-auto is offers a good choice to gun enthusiasts. There are other Russian variants in AK shape like Saiga and Veper available in the market selling at 200k plus. In this regard I think the CQ offers very good value for money. The Ar 15 (if one is able to find) is very expensive.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Norinco CQ Rifle Review

Sniper

Great @ SS bhai

Nice review

... یقئنا قوت نشان بازی میں ھے ...

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Very nice and comprehensive review Sir. I am getting fan of your writing day by day.
Btw who was giving the lecture on protection. You know PPE's are very important in almost all fields of life ;)

-Spartan-

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Good writeup.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Excellent Review and this gun is a good bargain in the mentioned price bracket.

Those looking to buy one should get it now before the prices goes up again.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Very nicely reviewed.
I would have liked a paper target for accuracy testing even better.

Did you try the other mag with problematic Chinese ammo? Was the problem associated with one mag or both?

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

Standard Shot

Excellent review! Enjoyed reading it more than shooting the gun itself;)

Profile E-mail  

Regional Ambassador - Multan Chapter

Accuracy ???

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Wonderful review Sir. Thanks :-)

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Sirjee excellent review and thanks :D :D :D

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Bro: a major drawback which any weapon could have is being Ammo Sensitive IMHO. Reliability is prime requirement for a weapon :(

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

wow, excellent review SS Bro. 14.5 inch barrel are from the 1st batches , not available now.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

khan381
What barrel length is available now?

Thank you gentlemen.

@ Saif, we did not try the Chinese ammo with second mag. And yes, missed photographing the paper target. But
it was like 3.5" at 100 M.

The 14.5" barrels were from first batches. Now you will find at least 18.1" or 20. Besides there isn't much difference in MV in case of 14.5" and 20" barrels.

@ NR, new lot arriving soon. Don't expect the price to fall below 135k in Peshawar, in Karachi it will certainly be higher.

Besides I think its a good weapon. Just add a few accessories and tacticalize it.

higher

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Had a chat with 2/3 friends all of them are using American and Hk mags for the same Chinese rd issue

Profile E-mail  

So either use NATO ammo or change the mags

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Nice review but cant see the pics :doh: :angry-banghead:

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

well ,thanks six shooter for this fascinating write up. Allow me to add the subsequent developments,please.

I was not satisfied with the gun as being ammo sensitive is one of the fatal flaws a gun could have .On the very same day i tested the gun on Arabian Sea Club with a friends help ( I am thankful to him) who brought his magazines of various kind and Chinese ammo available with him but the result was the same even the mags were changed. Atlast , i decided to change the piece and got it off my license on the same day. Now the gun shown in pictorial of this review is not with me. I got a second piece yesterday , got it tested , rather torture tested it on the very same day ,rather in night , and it worked flawlessly . I was again compelled to bother a friend to spare his time , who very very kindly did it and i was able to test my gun in irregular timings and to rush back to meet my official deadline

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Conratulations Zain Bhai, hope it will serve you flawlessly.

Profile E-mail  

That's good news. When do we see the pics?

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

@zain bro
Thats good to know you eventually got a trouble free working piece. Congratulations.

Standard Shot

Thanks brother NR , i grateful for every thing

Brother Saif , i hope i got a problem free piece this time .
one thing that i want to share is the difference that i felt between two pieces ie the one i returned and the one i am retaining.
May be it is just a Psychological feel because i am "prejudiced" with the piece that i returned , but what so ever it is , i want
to share it even i am wrong , and that it the the difference i feel between two pieces is the difference of weight and fit and finish.
The piece i am having now is ,in my opinion a bit heavier than the piece i returned. plus, this fit and finish of the current one is better than the gone one . The internal feel different too . Its bolt and bolt carrier also differ in color and weight . Well , i am of the opinion that the conspiracy theory of availability of locally made or at least altered CQs in the market is just not a hypothesis , in my opinion .

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Thats an alarming observation. I hope it was just one bad piece..

TGF Managing Committee

Zain Bro,

That feeling came from your experience and you were not wrong.

Sadly the dealers (Exceptions apart) are not fair in dealing and there is no business ethics when it comes to selling arms.

I strongly suggest all members to seek assistance of seniors whilst they intend to purchase a weapon and they will definately be guided in a right way when required.

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

I shot from a CQ-A today as well.... and some pleasure it was.. must have shot around 20 rounds or so from different positions.... and some pleasure it was...

Profile E-mail