THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:42 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: The Modern weapon that is the part of folk lore

Standard Shot

As I grew up, I found myself in a family that has a literary and educated background. There were three family relics, among others , which devolved upon me/ my generation, through centuries and manifest our educated family background . One is a copy of Quran , magnificently hand written by my great grand father( six degrees / generations high above me ) , Secondly , a document written on a piece of animal skin, showing the sale of an area of land by my great grand father ( seven degrees/ generations high above me). That document is written in Persian and is jotted down in persuasion of a Quranic injunction to write down every deal or transaction one makes. The area mentioned in the document presently falls in Balochistan and third relic is the ring which I wear since 2003. It bears the name of my same grandfather, in mirror image, who had the honour of writing a copy of Quraan . It is a seal or stamp which my grandfather used to affix on the “Fatwa” or “Decree” he used to issue in capacity of a Mufti . Please note that the area, to which my forefathers belonged to, or even the area I live in today, is unfortunately considered one of those having a very less literacy rate. One could imagine that even in those areas, which are still ravaged by illiteracy, my great grandfathers were educated enough to write Quraan , document their transactions and issue decrees centuries ago

The reason of telling you about my family background is just to let you friends know that being a member of an an educated family , I am well versed with the literature of, Persian , Sindhi , Balochi, , Urdu ,Punjabi , Pashto, Arabic Hindi etc , either by reading those languages directly or through translations and now through modern education, I am well versed with the literature of west also . It is a very strange phenomenon that literature of nearly all those languages is teemed with the references of weapons of the era before the machines rose to prominence that is crudely called as Agricultural or feudal era. If you ask me , I could quote hundreds of verses from Arabic , Persian , ,sensikrat (the root language or the mother language of Indo- Aryan languages and German language) hindi , balochi , Punjabi , sindhi , sraiki , Urdu languages, in which the swords , arrows , bows , daggers , spears etc etc are mentioned as the references to the beauty of beloved or in any other related matter. In the classic literature of these languages, a lover is described to have felt that a pair of arrows has pierced through his heart when his beloved raises her eyes and looks at him. At some moments, a poet describes the curt behavior of his beloved as deadly as direct blow a spear dipped in venom. For poets and lovers , the moments passed in separation from the beloved are passing over them as the sharp edge of sword passes over the throat of one who is being slaughtered . At the moments the curved eye brows of beloved are compared to tight bows that help fire a volley of arrows of the deadly sights from the eyes of beloved. And interestingly, in the eastern languages, these references are still used in their poetry . I have never heard or red and poetic piece where the sight of beloved is compared to the a 50 BMG bullet fired from a Barret sniper rifle ,or the wink of an eye from the loved one is compared to a 9mm round . or I have never hared any song in which it is said the un- courteous behavior of beloved has devastated the heart of lover as a rocket propelled grenade or a javelin missile devastates a tank or APC . There are lots of phrases like “stabbing in back” but I am yet to hear a proverb like “firing in the back (or front)”. There are some notes though, in western poetry, about the present day weapons, but those very few poetic works are yet to be acclaimed by the literary critics as the permanent and classical parts of literatures of the respective languages
It is even a strange phenomenon that on one hand , the modern weapons based on firearm principles, have been very actively shaping the geopolitical scenario of the the world since centuries , they are considered not worthy of mentioning by the writers and poets in their poetic works and lyrics but there is one exception to it too. There is a modern weapon that has been successful in making its place in the creation of poets and writers; even you can found that weapon in the building of United Nations, proudly making its presence felt by being embossed on the national flag of a sovereign, independent country

Yes, you got it .the modern weapon that has made its way in the folk lore and literature of many languages is legendary KALASHNIKOV aka the AK47

Kalashnikov is the only weapon that has been able to have such profound impact not only on the geographical and political conflicts but the its legendary ruggedness and reliability has compelled the writers to mention it in their creations. This weapon is sung in folk lore of Vietnamese, Palestinian, , Russian , Afghan, pushto , Persian, balochi Sindhi, darri, tamil, and other countless languages and many other African literatures. . In my opinion , Kalashnikov is the only weapon of modern times , which , like the classic “sword” , has many names , probably different name in in every region .It is called Kalashnikov , Kelashan , Kelash , Thopak , Mashine ( local word for MACHINE),geepak etc etc This is also a fact , however , that this weapon is termed to be having evil features in the western world and is often looked down upon . The debate of AK VS AR is a never ending debate and social media like face book and you tube and gun forums around the world are overwhelmingly filled with discussion threads and videos favoring or disfavoring the respective views . But it doesn’t seem to be reaching to any ultimate conclusion any sooner.

I do not intend to fan the flames of this never ending debate, but I shall exercise my democratic right of freedom of expression being an AK lover , and shall say that I agree with a spaznatz members assertion that AK is a true friend , a mother and a beloved at the same time . It never betrays them in battle as a true friend, its presence and solid feels comforts them as a child is comforted by the soothing feel and the touch of its mother and these qualities of this weapon creates a bond of a love between the soldier and his AK and AK becomes a beloved.

An AR is also a good friend, but a good urban girl friend, decorated with modern makeup, thin, slim, and faithful to her limits but her limits are too narrow and short in comparison to an AK.
If I am asked to try to visualize both weapons / platforms with the help of the picture of my choice available on the internet, my visualization may be something like this

The AK platform

The AR platform

I don’t have a vast experience with AR platform, but once I saw a recruit performing a remarkable maneuver. He had a wall to climb on. He un tied the sling of his AK from stock, kept his AK with its muzzle up with the wall , stepped on the magazine of his AK , jumped a bit , hold the edge of wall with his hand and stabilized himself , climbed the wall and pulled the AK up with the sling he tied in his belt hook. I don’t know if anyone could step upon the magazine of an AR to climb a wall. Apart from this, the links pasted below may speak louder than my words
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqL0dtIeTT8
http://www.guns.com/2016/04/06/this-pre ... e=facebook

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/04/12/214905/.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Modern weapon that is the part of folk lore

Standard Shot

When I got the CQA , the Chinese 5.56 rifle made on AR platform, or an M4 clone to be precise , I played a lot with it so as to develop my familiarity with AR platform . With respect to the feelings of AR lover friends, I found AR platform to be too fragile to my personal taste. May be, I am an old school guy who loves to see a weapon made in steel and wood rather than aluminum and polymer.
After having the CQA in my inventory, When I heard about the arrival of Chinese Hilink LR3 , a rifle chambered in 556 but made on AK platform, I developed a strong desire to have it too . But the insane and a heavy price tag attached to it was more than an ocean between me and her.
One day my arms dealer called me and asked about thoughts to sell my BRNO model 2 , proofed in 1967. I recalled that sometimes back I mentioned about my plan to let it go , but the expected price he quoted was so low , that I thought it better to let it rest in my gun safe . His call alarmed me and I told him that I had dropped the plans to sell it. Fortunately, the would be buyer sitting beside him was so impatient that he talked to me on his phone and we exchanged numbers. Cutting long story short, he was so desperate to fulfill the desire of a political figure by gifting him a BRNO model 2 , in a good condition , that he did not waste a second to offer me a Hilink LR 3 in exchange for my BRNO model 2 and I did not waste a second to agree to the proposal either.
The day I got the gun was a beautiful cloudy day with gushing winds. I took along my friend , the one and only ED along with me to range . We had a mixture of American green tip rounds (M88) and chinese 223 to be experimented
Before going to the details of range report, here is a brief introduction with the Gun itself .

Let’s start with butt stock and pistol grip
The butt stock is made of some moderate quality wood and finished with some cheap kind of clor . It has a trap door to accommodate a cleaning kit which is not supplied. Its opening is in the middle of middle of a metal plate fixed to stock with the help of two screws. . The pistol grip is also made up of same wood and finished with same paint. It is screwed with the gun with a nut . The sling swivel on is the stock is no good and is apparently made of cheap metal.

The gun was also available in under folding and side folding stocks. I did not like its furniture so went for a fixed stocked one so that I can change its furniture after wards. The under folding and side folding models lacks the flexibility of furniture change. The front hand guard is also no exception and is made of same cheap wood. The magpul and other stuff, made for AK platform is said to fit well to this gun
Magazine
This gun uses the propriety magazine of 22 rounds. The reduced number of 22 rounds seems to be due to legal restriction barring the magazines from holding the count of bullets more than 22. The existence of 30 rounder is heard but I am yet to see one in real.
The magazines are crudely made and some time requires an extra attempt to be inserted in the magazine well. But once fitted in their place , they are snugly placed . In the like manner, the magazine may require an extra effort to be removed from the rifle as well . This extra effort may be due to gun being a new one and may get improved with the passage of time and use.

The gun comes with two magazines and I got other 3 extra magazines. I did not try by putting and removing them in the gun at the time or did not take those extra 3 magazines to the range too. And I had to pay for this mistake. When I returned home . I saw Those 3 extra magazines would never get inserted in the gun. I tried to force enter one of them in the gun but that stucked so badly that I had to carry it to the gunsmith for removal. The other penalty of not trying the magazines at the dealers shop, I had to pay, was taking those 3 magazines all the way back to Karachi to return them and to get new ones. I could not take the pain of taking the rifle all the way back to Karachi so I tried them in other piece available with the dealer. I was praying that these magazines may fit in my gun. My prayers were granted and they fit in the gun well . While the faulty magazines were with me, I talked with a gunsmith friend who told me that a person brought 2 magazines to him that would not fit in his Hilink and he grind magazines on their top on both sides.. The result of this procedure was positive and the magazines fitted the gun well. But I preferred to get new ones instead of doctoring the existing ones. So, my advice to those who wish to get extra magazines is to try them in their rifles on the spot.

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

Front and Rear sight
This gun has an excellent set of front and rear sights. The front sight is a typical Chinese hooded front sight that has became an icon, a hall mark of Chinese guns made on AK platform. The front sight is opened from up for adjustment. However the sights are just perfectly aligned, and, in my opinion, to meddle with their factory setting shall be a totally unwanted exercise. These sights are perfectly aligned for windage and one just has to adjust elevation to drop the bullet at target. Those sights worked wonders while my brief ranges session that shall follow this introduction.
The rear sight is made of steel and is adjustable in 100 meters increments up to 800 meters.
The barrel
The metallurgy of barrels of Chinese weapons is always appreciable. In my region, the Chinese AKs are even preferred over Russians. The reason , as told by prominent gunsmiths and those who possess the practical experience of firing thousands of rounds in “hot moments” is the difference in metallurgy and chrome plating. According to those practical persons, the metallurgy in Russian AKs is inferior to the Chinese one . The lands and grooves in the barrels of Russian AKs erode much earlier and drastically than Chinese guns, they opine. Moreover, the chrome plating of Russian AKs comes out in tiny bits on extensive use, while the chrome plating in Chinese guns last till the end of barrel . These are the factors that makes the Chinese AKs the first choice of the people of my region.

The 16 inch barrel of Hilink LR3 is blued and chrome lined, having strong lands and grooves. The sight of interior of the barrel is impressive. It has 1/8 rate of twist that makes it capable of stabilizing modern heavier grains rounds. The gun is marked as 223 but I fire 556 green tip NATO rounds without any hesitation as I know the modern rifles are made by keeping in mind that they would be firing 556 rounds any way, thus they are capable enough to withstand the higher pressure generated by 556 rounds. The cleaning rod is attached under the barrel in AK fashion . The matal and standard of sling swivel attached to the barrel is comparatively better than the one on stock .

The barrel of Hilink LR3 is threaded. It is supplied with a muzzle device of nearly 3 inches that fits by turning the device to right hand . The device has ……. Breaches and I am yet to fire the gun with this device removed. The device itself has two spots from where the device may or may not be splitted in to further parts. these apparent joints are slightly visible in shape fine and thin of straight lines from where it may be unscrewed . I tried to unscrew the device from those spots with hands but could not succeed in moving them. Haven’t tried to use tools though.
The receiver
The receiver is a stamped one and is made of steel , but thinner gauge steel is used in comparison to the that used in in AK47 aka Type 56 , the Chinese AK variant chambered in 7.62x39. And it seems reasonable too. The 7.62x39 round is way too heavier than 223 or 556 rounds so the use of metal of same gauge, meant for such a heavier round , in a small round like 333/556 would have been an over kill in my opinion. This rifle suits and feel good and solid enough in the metal it is made of and is able to withstand the pressure of 223/556 rounds. The receiver is covered by a dust cover that is identical to the dust covers used in AK rifles and unlocks in same manner. The return spring, piston, bolt and bolt carrier are all the copies of original AK 47 in the corresponding size that suits the 223/556 caliber.

Trigger
Perhaps the excellently aligned set of iron sights and the sweet trigger is most appreciable part of this rifle. Honestly speaking, I did not expect such a fine trigger from this rifle. It does not have any creep or over travel and breaks like a fine and thin glass . The iron sights and trigger make this rifle an excellent shooter that amazes you with its accuracy.

Range report
The day I got the gun was the day I was set to return home. The time between the delivery of gun and my schedule to leave Karachi was just shortly apart. I had to arrange the ammo and range visit on emergency basis. I took along ED with me and while having a working lunch in the vsvicle we left for the range .
While on our way to test the gun at range, I was thinking as to how the invention of gun powder had changed the balance of power for ever. Prior to its invention, the power of human body and expertise in art of battle were the deciding factors for human battles / wars . After the invention of gun powder, the muscle power or expertise became irrelevant. Now even a child can kill a seasoned fighter of the size of a Somo wrestler from distance. In my opinion, that balance of power, which was came int existence after the invention of gun powder was furher re-shaped / changed eternally with the invention of AK47 . This rugged ,reliable and agriculturally simple weapon gave the individuals and groups the power and capability beyond their wildest dreams . This indestructible device was the source of many changes ingeography, history , regimes and social values. Its ease in manufacturing resulted in its unprecedented proliferation and this weapon , now , needs no introduction in any part of world .
The society of Sindh was also no exception in getting affected by this tool that reshaped the world . Sindh had always been a society with a very limited number of weapons . The persons having single barrel or double barrel 12 gauge shot guns were respected in society and the village where a gun existed was often ignored by the thieves which were the tough guys of those times. The official weapon of police was a Lee Enfield bolt action rifle chambered in the 303 , often referred as jungle carbine , which was locally called “Sulfi Rifle” due to the shape of its typical flash hider ( sulfi is pipe sort of apparatus , made from clay , used to smoke tobacco of Hashish . The upper part of sulfi resembles the flash hider of jungle carbine, thus the name).

The Sulfi
The Lee Enfield jungle carbine rifle
The flash hider of Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine rifle

In those days , Sindh was a heaven . A calm and peaceful land . The peasants and farmers work in their fields in day time and gather in spacious “Ottaque” or community gathering places in the nights to discuss the issues , settle the pity disputes and chat. There was entire tribe or community namely “Bhatt” or “Charan” who were local poets and entertainers but their standard of entertainment was so much high. They used to record the important events in their poetic verses and sing them for centuries to come. They were the source of Most of the history recorded in our region. The society supported them collectively. On the occasion of harvest of crop, a fixed quantity of grain , along with some dresses of cloths and some cash was given to them by each household , so that they should keep them entertained and record the history without worrying about their subsistence. These folk artists/ entertainers tell folk stories to the audience with music . Some of the stories last for many nights . Every new comer was greeted in a traditional and a very interesting manner . They sung soofi (Mystical) songs and verses of Shah Abdul Lteef Bhittai in the corresponding nights of lunar months ( shah’s poetry is sung according to Surr (Melodies) which are divided to be sung according to seasons and nights of lunar month) .The houses in those villages did not had doors as most of the villages consisted upon a single tribe or community closely related to each other. The only fear they had was the thieves who come for some cattle heads but their dogs were enough to contain them . And in case , the owner woke up during theft , the thieves preferred to escape rather than confront. Those were the last days of peaceful Sindh and that tradition of night gathering which were called “Katchehries” was soon to be over and vanish forever in the sound of burst fires of AK 47. I can remember that the news papers published in old styled press , use to bear the pictures of notorious bandits of that era in which the bandoliers of 12 gauge cartridges were wrapped around their waist and simple people of that era get impressed with those pictures .
Paroo Chandio , a notorious outlaw ,killed decades ago , posing with a jungle carbine he snatched from police
But after 1983 , suddenly a new weapon was introduced out of blue, and with stunning speed, it took the entire Sindh by storm. The overwhelming fire power of this gun (AK47) and its mysterious easy availability resulted in mushroom growth of gangs of ruthless bandits which were unknown to the culture of Sindh of respecting the females even during robberies. Suddenly fort like walls start to emerge in the viilages in which the boundaries of the homes were defined by the man”s height fences of thorny bushes. The heavy wooden and metal gates started to restrain the free passage of cool morning breeze in the streets where the doors were considered as wastage of wealth and un necessary thing. Those were the days in which peaceful Sindh that had preserved its culture since centuries was lost forever. it was only after many years that we came to know that the price we paid in shape of losing our peaceful and tolerant society was due to taking part in CIA sponsored Jihad , being waged by CIA created Mujahedeen , who were selling the AKs and their ammo supplied to them to the criminals of our land dirt cheap .
My thoughts were discontinued as we reached at the range.
I thought to zero the rifle first at 50 meters and proceeded to the 50 meters range. The first shot went off and wow, I was amazed at the sweetness of trigger . That first shot was a hit on the target which was a standard steel plate . The hit was a bit high though . I zeroed the gun in few shots and within few shots I was hitting the plate constantly .
The gun and 50 meters range
I am happy to have you, baby
ED and range master showed me a target paper already installed on a stand with one hole in it already. We kept that hole in mind and I fired a 5 shot group on the paper and what a group it was . Less than one and half inch . The magazine was filled with the rounds alternating the Chinese Norinco 223 ammo and American green tips ball ammo. But the rifle was treating both rounds alike. I gave the rifle to ED who was once a bitter critic of this gun but when he was finished with firing his rounds, he was a completely changed person. For the first time I heard admiring words about this gun from him that are still pouring without any stoppage .
After that I turnred to the longest range available at our disposal there. It was 277 meters. 10 to 20 meters were added to it since our last visit to it when I purchased my CQA. It was also test fired in this range and I was able to hit the plates installed at the distance of 260 meters with iron sights twice . This time the range was added with some extra meters and when I start to shoot, I was surprised to see that this AK based gun was hitting more accurately than my CQA. In a 5 shots group , I was able to hit the farthest plate for 3 times . This was impressive and satisfying for me and was only due to the excellent trigger and set of iron sites that this rifle is equipped with
ED wondering and amazed as to why he was critical to this gun
The carbon fouled internals of then after brief range session

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Gr8 efforts zain....well written and explained

Profile E-mail  

Regional Ambassador - Sargodha Chapter

:text-bravo:

Profile E-mail