THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:57 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: A Room of One's Own

Site Admin

I was planning how to decorate my study (to-be) and came across this article which I thought of sharing...

- - - - - -

A Room Of One’s Own – Part I
Source: http://blog.canadian-dream-free-at-45.c ... wn-part-i/
Posted by Tim Stobbs on March 7, 2013

Do you have a spot in your house that is just for you? If not, perhaps you heard of the idea of a man’s cave or a retreat. A space to get away from others and enjoy a little solitude. In architecture or interior design circles this can be referred to as a room of one’s own, which I suspect is a nod towards the essay by Virginia Woolf. Yet regardless of the source the idea is valid that some people need a space to get away from the rest of their family once in a while.

I’m one of those people. To say I’m introverted is putting it mildly, while I’m not a hermit, I do really do much better if I get some alone time periodically. Yet in most open concept houses this really doesn’t happen that much. Also I’ve got the problem of I come home to a house full of kids which mainly are not mine (recall my wife runs a daycare from our house). While the main floor bedroom sort of works for that I have to share that space with the daycare so it really isn’t available when I first get home.

So I decided to buck up and invest in making a room of one’s own for myself. I had some savings in which to do this project from Christmas (~$500) and then proceeded to do a lot of thinking on what I wanted. In the end I decided I could call it a study. Not an home office, but a study. What’s the difference? As I read somewhere a study doesn’t have a file cabinet. I already have a office space to pay bills, the study is about relaxing, dreaming, reading and writing. I mentioned this project to someone and I sort of like their title: an intellectual man cave.

Some key elements of the space:

:arrow: It should have some book storage, since I love books and it will double as sound insulator.
:arrow: I want a desk space to do some writing.
:arrow: I want a few chairs to sit and read (along with that a footstool and a small table to put a coffee while reading)
:arrow: It doesn’t have to be big.
:arrow: It has to be a good looking room (by my standards).

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: A Room of One's Own

TGF Managing Committee

Excellent share, I have a so called domain in my house i.e. my room. Not much of books are there as I hardly get time for that, frankly speaking I prefer learning online so it has a desktop computer with all accessories. It's a typical man style room, bit disorganized but I like it that way. Things scattered everywhere but at least I know what is lying where. This room is my corner where I can spend "My Time in My Way".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: A Room of One's Own

TGF Expert Panel

Good article. I am myself planning my study to be. It will have much less of books, very few, but will have a work desk, an office table, lounge sofas etc.

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).