THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:46 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Testing of Baikal mp-153..Amazing!

Standard Shot

Russian small arms are always made like tanks............. hard like anything that could withstand the highest degree of abuse

Profile E-mail  

Poor Bailak MP153!!

Nice Shotgun Cleaning tips there!!! ;)

Also we should appreciate the ammo! :D

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Seen this video before as well.. its a proof of Baikal's reliability indeed.. thanks for sharing.. :)

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

Fantastic Semi Auto in its price range. Have the capacity to beat many expensive autos.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Miscellaneous Videos & Articles

Sniper

Quick shotgun Reloding
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1TTr25YYuw&feature=fvw

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: World’s Most Expensive Rifle .. No more Frogs ;)

Sniper

World’s Most Expensive Rifle

Swedish gun maker VO Gun & Rifle is selling their limited edition VO Falcon rifles for $820,000 each.

The Luxist reports ...
Their newest creation, the VO Falcon Edition (above), is the world's most expensive priced at about $820,000. The VO Falcon Edition is a tribute to the deep rooted traditions of falconry in the Arabian world, covered by beautiful engravings of Peregrine and Saker falcons among other luxurious finishes.

The production of VO rifles is limited to a very small number of examples each year. The company holds a royal appointment to H.M. King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden, and has found great success with ultra-exclusive rifles made for the Middle Eastern market. H.H. Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan of Abu Dhabi's Royal Family is another VO enthusiast.

Clearly you and I are not VO's target market. I would be willing to bet that Savage's cheapest $300 rifle has better accuracy that the Falcon. But since they are unlikely to ever be fired, that is not a problem. Who in their right mind would detonate an explosive in a $800,000 metal tube? Not I. But if I were a wealthy monarch drowning in money, I would much rather buy an overpriced rifle than a equally priced gemstone.

Source firearms blog ..

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: World’s Most Expensive Rifle .. No more Frogs ;)

Regional Ambassador - Multan Chapter

I wonder why we all fuss over bedding and free floating, may be middle class mentality.

Profile E-mail  

Nice share bro.

Profile E-mail  

Mustanir wrote:
I wonder why we all fuss over bedding and free floating, may be middle class mentality.

:laughing-rolling:
Good one Mustanir Bro!!

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Mustanir wrote:

lol.... that's rude but true :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: BloW upS ..

Sniper

Over sized Bullets , Reduced powder Charges

GLOCK

Springfield XDM Kakoom

Wrong Powder

Using the wrong powder unknowingly has contributed to wrecked guns as mentioned in the e-mail at the beginning of this article. I have seen rifles blown by someone inadvertently using pistol powder in the rifle cartridges. Or using loading data for one powder while actually using a faster powder. P.O. Ackley wrote about was a Model 70 Winchester in .270 that was blown when the reloader used loading data for IMR 4350 but in actuality IMR 3031 was the powder being used. Maximum charges for 4350 were used which would have been safe. The 3031 was enough faster that the gun was completely wrecked.

Make sure you are using the correct powder for the charts you are using. Double-check it!

Barrel Obstructions

Of course there are the "common" reasons for blowups. Barrel obstructions is one that is common. Sometimes it comes from a bullet being left in the barrel when a shell is ejected. If the bullet is seated over maximum length for the rifle and engages the rifling when chambered, if it is not fired sometimes the bullet can be "pulled" and left in the throat. Any obstruction near the chamber will usually cause the action to blow. This is due to high-velocity gases coming back into the receiver when the obstruction is encountered.

Another common obstruction is mud or snow in the muzzle. This will not usually blow the action, but will split the barrel quite often. Less common is a bullet jacket being left in the barrel. Some years ago a lot so-called "experts" hyped this one, focusing on taking military bullets, cutting the tips off and using them for game bullets. Supposedly the core would blow out and leave the jacket in the barrel. The next shot would then blow the gun up. Sounds logical. But is it true?

P.O. Ackley took military bullets, cut the tips off, melted the cores out, shoved the jackets down to the middle of the barrels and fired a full load up through them. Other than slightly ringing the barrel no adverse effects were ever noted. (Not that you want a ring in your barrel, but the point was to see if the gun would break from it.) Conceivably a complete barrel obstruction could cause a blowup. But the hollow jackets were just a tube. No air could compress behind them and the bullet just passed through it on its way out the barrel.

Still, if you have a jacket stop in the barrel I would advise against trying to shoot it out. You do not want to be replacing barrels. It gets expensive and can be embarrassing at the least.

Wrong Ammunition

The wrong ammo will sometimes blow a gun - especially in rifles. If a .35 Remington is fired in a .30-06 it can be horrible. This is due more to the cartridge not sealing the chamber and allowing high-pressure gas into the action which tears it apart, than it is to the oversize bullet. If the cartridge seals the chamber the pressure will go down the barrel, resizing the bullet in the process.

Reduced Charges

Reduced powder charges have been blamed for lots of blowups. Quite a few people have spent years trying to get a gun to blow up with reduced charges and have been unsuccessful. P.O. Ackley tried most of his life and never did get one to blow with reduced charges. That it does happen is undeniable. Just exactly "Why" is another question that remains to be answered as it has not been replicated in laboratory tests. Usually in rifles it is in combination with large, over-bore cases and light charges of slow-burning powder.

In handguns for years it was target loads - specifically the .38 Special caliber, 148 gr. wadcutters, and light charges of Bullseye. Quite a few shooters complained it blew up their guns. Among others, Hercules (now Alliant) published a pamphlet about their tests since so many were complaining the light charges of Bullseye blew their guns up. They went so far as to use a dynamite cap instead of a primer in a modified .38 Special case fired in a Colt Detective Special. It did not blow the gun even though they detonated the powder. There is just not enough explosive charge in the small amount of powder to create an over-pressure situation.

However, if you use a double-charge of powder, pressures run up very high. And if the bullet gets seated too deeply into the case, pressures can go off the charts as tests showed. Even seating a bullet 1/10" of an inch deeper can raise pressures considerably when you are already at the peak pressure.

If you have a "squib" load ( one that "poops") you can have problems, especially if a bullet is left in the barrel. With a load that "poops" the powder does not keep burning and the bullet stops in the barrel. If there is considerable amount of unburned powder left in the barrel behind the bullet ( which is now a barrel obstruction) and then you fire another one up behind it, conceivably the powder left in the barrel can be ignited. That along with air being highly compressed in the barrel can cause a blowup. So far this is the only way "Light Powder Charge Blowups" have been duplicated in laboratory tests, especially in rifles. I know of at least one handgun - a Model 83 Freedom Arms - that was blown in half by this happening, the frame separating just in front of the cylinder. Pressures had to be simply ENORMOUS!
Stoppages

I have seen handguns that had a bullet stop in the bore and then a full load fired up behind them. I have never seen a handgun blown from this though it is possible. I remember a .44 Magnum that had a bullet stop halfway down the barrel and a factory load 240 gr. fired up against it. It left an "egg" (egg-shaped bulge) in the middle of the barrel, but other than that it did not harm the gun. It shot OK with the bulge! I mean, it would shoot into less than 2" at 25 yards with all loads. They changed the barrel later 'cuz it was strange looking and no one wants to use a strange-looking gun.

A friend brought a Colt Gold Cup .45 to us one day. His kids had been using it and it quit working. The slide was locked shut. We got it open and found the barrel was bulged into the slide from a stoppage that had been fired out of it. It egged the barrel till the slide would not move. On a whim Dad turned down the outside of the barrel, re-assembled the gun and took it to the range. He fired a number of groups with it and they averaged 1 1/2" at 25 yards. So he gave the gun back to the owner and he is still using it that way 15 years later!

I do not say this to encourage you to shoot stoppages out of your barrel. Any obstruction is potentially dangerous. If it is close to the breech it is worse. All the ones above were down the bore a ways. The gun I blew on purpose had a bullet shoved into the barrel until it was flush with the end of the throat. Then an overload (which had not hurt the gun previously) was fired behind it. It blew the cylinder and broke the frame.

I had the gun in a chamber that contained all the pieces and it was fired by remote control, by the way.

Other Reasons

There are lots of other reasons for gun blowups. Some ammunition was made that used improperly annealed brass. The brass would not stand normal pressures and blew back into the action. It happened.

There have been blowups caused by gunsmiths who improperly re-chambered a firearm. People can invent new ways to do things, even destructive things, faster than we can tell others to watch out!

Source Firearm blog ...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: BloW upS ..

Site Admin

Useful share Usama. Thanks.

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

I have a question. Do people get injured too when this happens ? Extent of injuries ?

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

Thanks SA .

Shariq Bhai

Yes, there have been many such cases, i personally know someone who got his hand injured while firing a darra made TT with darra
bullets .

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

Here are some pics i found while googling

Last edited by Usama on Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Not much of googling required for these pics, Usama bro. They are quite common at TGF, specially in hunting section :mrgreen:

PS: I propose these frogs be given honourary membership of TGF. They are always there anyway :think:

Profile E-mail  

Regional Ambassador - Multan Chapter

@Haider my apologies brother.
it was directed towards myself and the like who cant buy beyond $1000 stuff, so buy used ones and spend lifetime accurising these in hope to get a respectable clean shot, in comparison to this gem of a gun whose maker is not sure that it can shoot something less than 5MOA

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Mustanir wrote:
@Haider my apologies brother.
it was directed towards myself and the like who cant buy beyond $1000 stuff, so buy used ones and spend lifetime accurising these in hope to get a respectable clean shot, in comparison to this gem of a gun whose maker is not sure that it can shoot something less than 5MOA

LMAO...... so true

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

@ KBW,

The images are visible to me :confusion-scratchheadyellow:

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Now they are visible to me as well but at the time when I wrote the comments, there were only frogs visible :roll:

Are these frogs playing hide and seek with me :think:

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

No sir they were playing with me too

"The Strength of a nation is not measured by its ability to Wage Wars, rather its ability to prevent them"

"Si Vis Pacem, Para bellum"

Profile E-mail  

Perhaps the frogs love TGF just as much as we do :-)

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eFfzH8KyZ0

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

Mitho I dont think this revolver (Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan) will be available in our local market.What do you think ?

Marksman

When glock 18c can be made avalaible by dealers why cant they get their hands on revolver.just the matter of u able to pay their demand.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next