THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:57 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: Hatsan MOD 99 Review

Marksman

Asalam o Alaikum,

I just received my Hatsan Mod 99 yesterday. It was purchased from Hira Arms Lahore and has been shipped to Karachi. Posting first snaps of the beauty. A full detailed review of the Airgun will be shared soon.

Background:
My passion for Airguns is little over a year old. My first Airgun was a Chinese Airgun and a clone of Diana Magnum. I was initially quoted 9k for it but later due to shortage of stock, I had to buy it from a different shop for 11k. I never got to measure the force of it on a Chrony but it was very power with decent accuracy even though the trigger was a little hard but not too much of a bother. The sights were fiber optic but the plastic used was of fairly low quality. I shot on it almost every day for two months and then the breach seal got damaged. THe FPS of the Airgun dropped drastically and I had absolutely no idea about technicalities of an Airgun so I thought something had gone wrong with the spring. I panicked and sold it back and bought a Kral Instead (asking price was Kral was 14k and in exchange I had to pay 9k over). If I would have just replaced the seal the problem would have been solved.

Anyhow, the Kral was much lighter and the trigger was very nice. It was very crisp as compared to the Chinese. The gun was accurate as well. After shooting around 1000 pellets with it I checked it on Chrony and It was giving 560-570 fps. A decent Airgun for random plinking at 10-15 yards but now I was looking for something a bit more powerful. Also in-between my Kral developed some problems. The gun refused to load. Felt as if the Sear kept slipping, anyhow got it fixed from a gun smith and the problem never happened again. The breach seal got damaged as well so replaced it with a Teflon made custom seal.

I got rid of my Kral, sold it to a dear friend and got myself a Gamo Shadow (which I purchased from txshooter). The Gamo felt very nice had I fixed a 3x9-44E scope on it. The setup turned out to be pretty good for the price and I loved everything about the Shadow except its trigger. I shot around 2000 pellets with the Airgun and even after breaking in I just hated the trigger. The Gamo was giving 670-690 FPS and just to give a rough idea of its penetration power, I had shot at a green coconut from about 30 plus yards and the Pellet crossed the coconut and the one behind it. I shot several pellets and all of them went through.

Anyhow a very dear friend of mine was very interested in buying my Shadow so I sold it to him. From over a month I had been looking out and researching for my next Airgun and after doing much research (and the amount of budget I could have spared) I got myself a Hatsan Mod 99 for 21.5k including delivery charges from Hira Arms at a very special price (courtesy of a dear friend) else the normal asking rate is 24k.

Now that I have the airgun in my hand, lets see what Hatsan Mod 99 has to offer.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hatsan MOD 99 Review

TGF Managing Committee

Congrats and will pay a visit soon to have a look.

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Sure thing NR... You are more than welcome anytime. Insha Allah I am planning to review the airgun tomorrow with open sights. So far I have not even shot a single pellet through it

Profile E-mail  

Congratulations. Waiting for the review.

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Sorry for the delay guys, I had not been feeling well so the review got a little delayed. However, here we go.

Lets go through some basic specifications of this Airgun:

Manufacturer: Hatsan
Model: Mod 99
Country of Manufacturing: Turkey
Caliber: .22
Stock: Wooden (Walnut) with Montecarlo cheek piece (ambidextrous)
Claimed fps: 800 (Between Medium and Highpower)
Weight: 3.8kgs (This Airgun is towards the heavier side)
barrel length: 17.7"(Dianna Barrels for Mod34, 35 and many other models is around 19")
Overall length: 45" (This Airgun is huge and can be categorized as a full sized airgun)

Some Special features of this Model are:
1. Barrel Release System which helps in easy breaking of the Barrel and also acts as a safety feature
2. Micro adjustable Truglo rear sights (good quality sights)
3. Combo Scope Mount Rail
4. Automatic / Manual Safery
5. Gold plated quattro trigger

01-05-14
Labor Day

I had it all planned in my mind last night, how I was going to review the Hatsan Mod 99. today at 7:00 am in the morning I went to my rooftop and did so. The Sun was unforgiving.

I had set up the target at 15 meters, cocked the Airgun, loaded a pellet, aimed and aligned for a good sight picture, pulled the trigger to realize that I had not disengaged the Automatic Safety.I pushed the knob in and tried again. Guess what, I still couldn't press the trigger. I thought perhaps I did not disengage the safety properly so I pulled it back and pushed it back again. I tried and I tried but the gun wouldn't shoot. I pointed the gun in the air and pulled the trigger and TWWWANGGG it shot...

I did not jump to any conclusions and very patiently I loaded another pellet only to find the same incident repeating again. My 2nd, 3rd - 15th and 16th pellets all were fired in the air and I found the trigger to be extremely hard.

I failed to understand the situation, I thought maybe the safety is not disengaging properly so I pulled and pushed the safety knob / switch several times but it had absolutely no effect.

I figured that it was not the safety, something was up with the trigger. I would load the gun and pull the trigger, it would act as if the safety was active. I released the trigger and tried again a few times. In 3-4 attempts the trigger worked and the gun shot. Of course with this kind of a setup it was humanly impossible for me to even imagine about making a group.

After shooting approx. 30 pellets, I realized that the trigger was slowly getting better. The gun would fire 3 shots normally, then the trigger would get stuck for the next 4 shots, then 1 shot normal, stuck for 2 shots. This kind of cycle kept repeating and I kept shooting.

I am not going to jump to any conclusions at this stage and give mod 99 benifit of doubt. Perhaps and most probably the gun needs time to break in.

Below is a picture of the best 10 shots I did today from 15 meters while sitting on chair and elbow resting on my knee with open sights.

The trigger got stuck in the first 3 shots but did not create problems in the remaining 7 shots. The different is clearly evident.

Another fellow member also got mod99 couple of months back and faced a similar kind of issue. He took the stock off to find out that the sear had been over greased which was creating the problem. He cleaned the sear and the problem was resolved.

Anyhow I tried some more shots in the evening and I think the problem is slowly going away but it's still there. I am going to wait for a couple of days but if the problem doesn't go away, then i`ll open and check the Trigger and I am pretty sure it's going to be the same over greasing issue.

Below are pictures of the setup I have on my roof top,

Later in the day I took some more pictures of the mod99

The Quattro Trigger Closeup

My conclusion so far (and I feel this review is going to go a long way)
- This Airgun is fairly accurate and is capable of making some very nice groups
- There is alot of side by side movement in the trigger but when it works fine, it is a very soft trigger
- This Airgun is heavy and weights 3.8 kg, Don't buy this Airgun if you cannot handle weight (Most Diannas weigh around 3.5kgs)
- The heavy weight is balanced of with very nice recoil management
- The finishing of the stock is simply amazing as you guys must have made out from the pictures
- The barrel is a very thick one and almost looks like a rifle barrel
- The gun has been made very well and looks very tough yet no machine marks and with very smooth finishing
- I have not measured but I suppose this gun is currently shooting at 720-750 fps. Anyhow I will be checking it on Chrony very soon.

Well, that's all for now, all new developments will be posted and I`ll keep you guys updated.

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Nice review. Liked reading it.

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Congratulations on your new purchase and loving the comprehensive review.

So, when we are all are going for Air Gun Shooting??? :violence-snipersmiley:

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

02-05-14
The day of Strike / My Sickness Continues

More than half the city is shut today due to strike. My Office was open but I didn't go since I wasn't feeling well today as well. However my restlessness kept increasing and my patience kept going down. I took out the Mod99 from it's case and made up my mind to open up the gun for a DIY project.

I started opening the gun, took the screws out, separated the barrel and trigger mechanism from the Stock. I had made up my mind to figure out (if not fix the trigger) that what exactly is the problem in the gun and why was the trigger behaving the way it was.

The stock of this gun has been extremely well done on the inside. Some very fine craftsmanship skills

I noticed the pinkish gooey grease on the trigger mechanism so my auto response was to clean this. I cleaned the entire trigger mechanism with WD40 to remove any rust if present or excess grease (even though there was none visible and all parts were shinny). In the process in noticed something. I figured out the reason why the trigger would not release the sear.

Observe the picture below, within the circle you can clearly see the safety engaged and a metal part is preventing the trigger from travelling.

Upon disengaging, this metal part is suppose to be removed from under the trigger, enabling it to travel and release the sear. What was happening was the even upon disengaging the safety, the metal part was not moving away properly and the trigger was getting stuck in the part. Pulling and releasing the trigger 2-3 times would eventually put this metal part in its place and the trigger would work.

I filed this metal part a little bit, oiled the safety mechanism with some gun oil and engaged / disengaged the safety approx 30 times. This exercise brought much improvement. Upon disengaging the safety, the metal part would come in its place, enabling the trigger to work.

I put the stock back, bolted the gun back and experienced the actual Quattro trigger of Hatsan. It's really nice, very soft and I really like the quattro trigger. I shot some pellets through the gun and out of 15 times, only once the trigger got stuck. I am very sure that with a bit more shooting, this problem will go away completely . Perhaps the gun had been lying for some time and the metal parts just got a little stiff.

That's all for now...

Last edited by Deathrow on Fri May 02, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Textiledoctor, coordinate and come over. The best thing about Airguns is that you don't have to goto no range and don't have to worry about Ammo,

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

Detathrow

Many congrats :)
Hatson is making some nicely finished airguns within good price range .
If possible then please do test for different pellets and their FPS

Happy shootng

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Usama, Sure thing brother.. will definitely try to do so. Currently I have access to only Gamo Pro Mags but I will definitely try to get my hands on other brands specially H&N.

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Very nice gun Masha-Allah and wonderful review brother. Congratulations :)

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Update:
Went to the rooftop in the evening and shot about 35 pellets. Alhumdulillah the trigger got stuck only once in the 8th shot and that too was instantly encountered by engaging and disengaging the safety.

The results achieved were not very impressive so I don't think its necessary to post them. That could aslo be due to the fact that I`ve been feeling very weak due to my illness.

Anyhow, till next update....

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

siqbal41, Thankyou... There's alot more coming up. Soon I plan on checking the mod99 on Chrony

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

Deathrow wrote:
Update:
Went to the rooftop in the evening and shot about 35 pellets. Alhumdulillah the trigger got stuck only once in the 8th shot and that too was instantly encountered by engaging and disengaging the safety.

The results achieved were not very impressive so I don't think its necessary to post them. That could aslo be due to the fact that I`ve been feeling very weak due to my illness.

Anyhow, till next update....

I am sure it will be smoothen with few more shots
the gold plated trigger makes it more attractive
I recently gave someone H&N's 21 grains tin's
otherwise it was a gift to you :(

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Hehehehe.. Oh well Brother Usama, a man get only what his Lord has destined for him. Not a grain more and not a penny less.. :-)

Yes I sure do agree that the trigger will get better with time Insha Allah

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

Deathrow wrote:
Hehehehe.. Oh well Brother Usama, a man get only what his Lord has destined for him. Not a grain more and not a penny less.. :-)

Yes I sure do agree that the trigger will get better with time Insha Allah

Yep that's true :)
I was offered 15k for my used gamo delta when prices of gamo were
sky high but I dint let it go and now it does not worth more then 7-8k :angry-banghead:

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

lol, tough luck Usama,

I myself have witnessed Gamo Shadows being sold for even 25k in Karachi last year.

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

Congrats buddy for such a nice airgun

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

04-05-14
Chronying the Mod99

I must have shot about over 150 pellets on my Mod99 by now. I visited Khilji today to inspect some scope that I am interested in buying off him for my Mod99. Details will be provided once I do get the scope and mount it. Accompanied by Skywatcher, Foxhound and Ed it turned out to be quite a trip.

The core objective for visiting Khilji today was to check the muzzle velocity of the Modd 99. Below are the readings I got and I am going to compare them to the Gamo Shadow readings.

Hatsan Mod99
Highest Velocity:710.2 fps
Lowest Velocity: 687.8 fps
Average Velocity:700 fps
Extreme Spread: 22.4 fps (difference between the highest and the lowest reading)

Gamo Shadow
Highest Velocity:698.2 fps
Lowest Velocity: 662.8 fps
Average Velocity:678.4 fps
Extreme Spread: 35.41 fps

As evident, there is not much difference in the muzzle velocities of both the guns on which I would like to add again that Gamo Shadow is a excellent gun in its price but the Mod99 takes lead in:

The trigger of Mod99 is simple beautiful. Soft and smooth

The Mod99 handles the recoil much better due to it's wooden body and weight
Both the above mentioned points make Mod99 more accurate as compared to Gamo Shadow and also more friendly with the Scope

The Mod99 is built up much more solid as compared to Gamo Shadow but that does not make Shadow a frail Airgun either. It's just that Mod99 is tougher

But it's unfair to compare the Mod99 with Shadow like that. After all it does cost more than 6-9k as compared to the Shadow. Just mentioned these pointers so as to give you guns an idea of what exactly Mod99 is all about.

Gamo Shadow still holds its respect in my eyes as a very good buy for its price.

And yes, shot like 35 shots today and Alhumdulillah the Mod99 trigger did not create any problems today. Ed, Skywatcher, Khilji and Foxhound, they all tried the Mod99 so they can be asked regarding their experience as well.

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Tks DR for a very useful review.

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

You are welcome textiledoctor, this review still has a long way to go :-)

Profile E-mail  

Nice review. Thanks. But why should a new air gun have such problems?
And congratulations, it's a beautiful gun indeed.

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Bro such problems occur in all machines with moving metal parts. If kept unused for long enough, they become a little stiff and with a little bit of use they come back into the flow. A car, a generator or any other mechanical object if not used for long enough can create problems.. Sometimes its the grease which actually restricts movement rather than supporting it.

Anyhow the problem is now totally solved Alhumdulillah.... I don't think there should be more issues with the trigger....

The only thing is that I was expecting may be just a little more power from this gun.

Profile E-mail  

I think 700 plus is good MV. And considering its price this is good value for money.
And what about spares? Are they available? I mean the main spring etc? If the dealers can supply this, it will be a good competitor in the market.

Profile E-mail