THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:35 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: legality of importing firearm accessories.

Master at Arms

Many members routinely enquire if its legal to import firearm parts and accessories from abroad. Simple answer is its not. Many people get away with murder even so do not get carried away with examples of others. Please consider following before making up your mind.

:arrow: I have seen a customs rule book which clearly states that no firearms, its parts like springs even screws or its accessories like holster etc can imported to Pakistan without license. It may be through freight or personal baggage. I know people manage to bring silencers and bolts of rifles but it remains illegal and a criminal offence. Customs official read to me the rule under which this offence is charged.

:arrow: Similarly it is illegal to take any firearm, its parts or accessories from USA to any other country by freight or parcel without an export license. Sites like Cabelas have these export license for many products that is why they are able to ship to Pakistan. Stuff like sniper or tactical scopes etc are totally banned. If you buy any firearm product online in US then the pacakge contains a warning on box stating that contents can not be moved out of continent US.

:arrow: I know people routinely bring such stuff in personal baggage but that does not make it legal and it remains an offence. A friend of a friend lost 2200 USD worth of hunting and tactical scopes when these were removed from his baggage and a letter was placed instead informing him that such items cannot be taken to Pakistan. He considers himself lucky he got away with a financial loss only.

We may try our luck next time but we must be aware of all pros and cons.

Experts may correct / add where appropriate.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: legality of importing firearm accessories.

Sharp Shooter

Very informative post!
Thanks for sharing HMR Sb.

Profile E-mail  

You are right HMR. And speaking out of personal experience, even the shopkeepers/sellers in US warn you not to buy such stuff as you are not allowed to take it out of the country.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Thank you.
I think people are not aware of the risk involved and its implications for them and their loved ones. Potential saving is not worth the risk involved.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Some people in Karachi are still getting their stuff cleared from customs. Would anyone guide us how this is managed?

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

HMR,

We all are well aware HOW this is being managed. It's the same way things take place in several different departments under the very noses of the authorities and which falls outside the ambit of law.

Those who bring these accessories and get then cleared without the required import permit are breaking the law HOWEVER if a person is purchasing the SAME stuff locally, he is not breaking any law. For example, Mr X getting Shadow adjustable sights imported and cleared from customs without the required paperwork is breaking the law, but MR Y buying the same sights from Mr X, is within the law.

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Well It will be good to know anyways.
I beg to disagree with your Mr x and y logic. If Mr X manages to get narcotics across illegally then going by your logic, Mr Y could buy it without breaking any law. Pardon me if I got the analogy wrong.

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

HMR wrote:
I beg to disagree with your Mr x and y logic. If Mr X manages to get narcotics across illegally then going by your logic, Mr Y could buy it without breaking any law. Pardon me if I got the analogy wrong.

Yes you did get it wrong.

Narcotics are illegal by their very nature. Neither adjustable sights themselves nor Having Adjustable sights on your CZ Shadow is illegal. It's actually quite simple.

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

HMR wrote:

Authorized firearms dealers having an import license are allowed to import accessories. Order through them and you won't face issues with custom clearance.

Profile E-mail