THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:26 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Power of an "Aerial" fired bullet!!!

TGF Managing Committee

LAGS wrote:
If a person is caught Arial firing, then just sentance them to making them be up in a Hot Air Balloon on the hollidays for the next year.

Ammo is cheaper and easily available in our part of the world as compared to hot air balloons. From a tax payer's perspective this is an expensive punishment. :D

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

But one telivised Balloon ride will get the message across to the whole country in a big hurry.
Bullets dont do much damage to a hot air balloon, unless you hit the propane tank.
See one balloon could last for many rides.

Besides.
How many Balloons can the Tax Payers buy, for the Cost of ONE inocent persons Life.

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Mythbusters did an item on this and managed a rating Trifecta:

Bullets fired into the air maintain their lethal capability when they eventually fall back down.

Result: BUSTED / PLAUSIBLE / CONFIRMED

In the case of a bullet fired at a precisely vertical angle (something extremely difficult for a human being to duplicate), the bullet would tumble, lose its spin, and fall at a much slower speed due to terminal velocity and is therefore rendered less than lethal on impact. However, if a bullet is fired upward at a non-vertical angle (a far more probable possibility), it will maintain its spin and will reach a high enough speed to be lethal on impact. Because of this potentiality, firing a gun into the air is illegal in most states, and even in the states that it is legal, it is not recommended by the police. Also the MythBusters were able to identify two people who had been injured by falling bullets, one of them fatally injured. To date, this is the only myth to receive all three ratings at the same time.

Kind regards,
Mark

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

LAGS wrote:
But one telivised Balloon ride will get the message across to the whole country in a big hurry.
Bullets dont do much damage to a hot air balloon, unless you hit the propane tank.
See one balloon could last for many rides.

Besides.
How many Balloons can the Tax Payers buy, for the Cost of ONE inocent persons Life.

The mindset is good but trust me bro it won't work over here.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

markypoos wrote:
Mythbusters did an item on this and managed a rating Trifecta:

Bullets fired into the air maintain their lethal capability when they eventually fall back down.

Result: BUSTED / PLAUSIBLE / CONFIRMED

In the case of a bullet fired at a precisely vertical angle (something extremely difficult for a human being to duplicate), the bullet would tumble, lose its spin, and fall at a much slower speed due to terminal velocity and is therefore rendered less than lethal on impact. However, if a bullet is fired upward at a non-vertical angle (a far more probable possibility), it will maintain its spin and will reach a high enough speed to be lethal on impact. Because of this potentiality, firing a gun into the air is illegal in most states, and even in the states that it is legal, it is not recommended by the police. Also the MythBusters were able to identify two people who had been injured by falling bullets, one of them fatally injured. To date, this is the only myth to receive all three ratings at the same time.

Kind regards,
Mark

Agreed. How do you propose that we go abouts with warning shots then ?

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

@ Furrukh
Who fires Warning shots ?
That isnt the way we do things over here.
And I am serious. Not LE nor the public is required to, or fires ANY " Warning Shots "

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

LAGS wrote:
@ Furrukh
Who fires Warning shots ?
That isnt the way we do things over here.

Someone chasing you and you are definite that it is an attempt to car jack or kidnap shots fired in the air whilst driving will send the message across to the BGs. If you live in a house and from your balcony / roof top notice fishy blokes standing outside the house, warning shots or aerial firing will be benefitial.....

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

@ Furrukh
That would be nice.
But here , if you are going to pull the trigger, you better be justified to shoot to kill.
A warning shot will land you in jail. Especially if you fire it in the Air.
See , if your life is not threatened, you cant even Brandish a gun as a warning.
And if you are on a balcony, and someone is stealing your car, you can not shoot them, unless you go down to the car and they try to take it by force.
If you fire a shot to scare them off, then you are the agressor.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

LAGS wrote:
@ Furrukh
That would be nice.
But here , if you are going to pull the trigger, you better be justified to shoot to kill.
A warning shot will land you in jail. Especially if you fire it in the Air.
See , if your life is not threatened, you cant even Brandish a gun as a warning.
And if you are on a balcony, and someone is stealing your car, you can not shoot them, unless you go down to the car and they try to take it by force.
If you fire a shot to scare them off, then you are the agressor.

Oh I see. Action points will vary in accordance with the prevailing laws of a particular country. Here in Pakistan it is best to fire an aerial shot rather than firing at the person itself. A CC permit is issued for SD so the cops would prefer an aerial fire as opposed to firing at the BG itself. The latter if leads to the death of a BG will unleash a a lot of hassle in the form of legal complications.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Does the phrase " Dead Men ,Tell No Tales " strike a cord.

If it is your word against his, and he isnt able to talk, you just won 50% of the arguement.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

LAGS wrote:
Does the phrase " Dead Men ,Tell No Tales " strike a cord.

If it is your word against his, and he isnt able to talk, you just won 50% of the arguement.

It is not as simple as black and white brother Larry. The key challenge here are the cops trying to make an easy buck out of the entire SD / HD situation. In that case it is our word against the cop's. Either cash or friends in high places will be the key here.

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

I heard an interesting saying on Sons of Guns the other night.

A pistol is something you use to get to a real gun.

A real gun being of course a shotgun. :-)

Mark

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

markypoos wrote:

Mark

:angry-banghead: And I always thought it was an AK47 being referred to. ;)

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

markypoos wrote:

Mark

Now thats discriminatory bro !! :roll:

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

@ Furrukh
Yea, thats right.
We are all GUN racists over here.
We discriminate against weak ,Whimpy guns

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

LAGS wrote:
@ Furrukh
Yea, thats right.
We are all GUN racists over here.
We discriminate against weak ,Whimpy guns

Hahahaha. First it was a gunner vs. a blade / knife carrier. Then it was a compact vs. a full sized handgun, this was then followed by 9mm vs. .45 cap and finally between a hand gun and a rifle / shot gun. The racism never seems to cease bro.

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

markypoos wrote:

Mark

haha.. nice share

Profile E-mail  

Rifleman

The least we can do is stay inside our houses on new years eve and on other celebratory moments(like when Pakistan wins a match of a big tournament...i rem my area sounding like a warzone when we beat aus and WI in the world cup).Would that by any extent reduce the risk of getting hit by a stray bullet?

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Ariel firing is becoming a fashion these days in celebrations. Weather its a wedding, new year, Independence day or win of a cricket match, people do ariel firing to celebrate happiness.

Is this the right way to celebrate? All civilized nations own guns but guns are for safety not for celebrations. Every single bullet fired in air always has a chance to harm someone, may injured or take life. On daily basis we heard or read in news that un-idenfitied bullets take lives of people.

I know this is discussed several times but am writing again on this topic to discuss what we can do to stop this. I have 2 points in mind which should be followed to stop this practice.

1- As a responsible citizen and gun enthusiast, we personally must avoid ariel firings to celebrate, if any one of us is involve in it.
2- We must speak to our neighbors, friends, family members to avoid such practice and make them realize that instead of wasting bullet in air, use it on the range to prepare yourself for real danger.

Just my two cents. Need other members to share their views as well.

Regards,

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

@ Siqbal41,

Bro, I've merged your post within a thread which already existed on the topic.

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Thanks SA bro :)

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Celebratory gunfire (also called aerial firing) is the shooting of a firearm into the air in celebration. It is culturally accepted in parts of the Balkans, the Middle East, the Central Asian region of Afghanistan, the South Asian regions of Pakistan and Northern India as well as Latin American regions. In regions such as Puerto Rico and other areas of the United States it is practiced illegally, especially on holidays like New Year's Eve.
Common occasions for celebratory gunfire include New Year's Day as well as the religious holidays Christmas and Eid. The practice may result in random death and injury from stray bullets. Property damage is sometimes another result of celebratory gunfire; shattered windows and damaged roofs are often found after such celebrations.

Bullets often lodge in roofs, causing minor damage that requires repair in most cases. Normally, the bullet will penetrate the roof surface through to the roof deck, leaving a hole where water may run into the building. If the damage is not discovered and repaired, the leak can cause more costly water damage to the structure.

Notable incidents

Middle East
November 21, 2012: Following a cease-fire ending fighting with Israel, celebratory gunfire in the Gaza Strip killed a man and wounded three others.
October 30, 2012: Twenty-three people were fatally electrocuted after celebratory gunfire brought down a power cable during a wedding party in eastern Saudi Arabia.
August 2012: A Kuwaiti bridegroom was killed when a friend of his accidentally shot him as he charged his gun to fire into the air in celebration.
August 2010: 2 people were killed and 13 were injured in Jordan, as part of the yearly celebration of the announcement of the result of Tawjihi.
July 29, 2007: At least four people were reported killed and 17 others wounded by celebratory gunfire in the capital city of Baghdad, Iraq, following the victory of the national football team in the AFC Asian Cup.[18][19] Celebratory gunfire occurred despite warnings issued by Iraqi security forces and the country's leading Shiite cleric, Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, who forbade the gunfire with a religious fatwā.
July 22, 2003: More than 20 people were reported killed in Iraq from celebratory gunfire following the deaths of Saddam Hussein's sons Uday and Qusay in 2003

Pakistan is no Exception and we used to hear around 7-10 deaths as result of aerial firing on new year eve alone. I am Sure the number of deaths would not be less than 25-30 per year.

An Appeal was filed to pass Legislation against Aerial Firing http://www.dawn.com/news/757277/legislation-on-aerial-firing but sadly nothing done by our Govt.

I rest my case here.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

We all say that aerial firing is bad but many of us do it ourselves when the time comes or we just stay quite on it and do not object to it when it is done infront of us (by someone else). I make it a point that if there is aerial firing at a celebration, I leave that place and before leaving, I do inform host about the reason. It is hard to do at times and can bring the relations to an end but it has to be done. At least the people on forums, who get better education on the subject can take a lead and start doing it. And if we maintain this point of view that there are thousands of people doing it anyway and my self imposed denial will not make a difference then I would humbly say that we should stop talking against it.

I am also surprised to hear that aerial firing (which may be in celebration or may be without celebration, so I won't call it Celebratory firing) is legal in Pakistan. As per my understanding, for a civilian, it is illegal to shoot a firearm outside the shooting range or hunting area without a justified cause of SD. The news clip quoted above perhaps talks of stricter legislation against aerial firing and I think there is a dire need to do that. Just my two cents.

regards

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

People should be educated about it.
A friend in Jhelum city telephoned me early in the morning saying that he has a bullet hole on his car's roof. It turned out to be a bullet from heaven.
My cousin, who lives next door, heard a sound from outside the window in the evening. He went outside to inspect and found a bullet.

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

Just last week when watching a news channel, saw our " highly trained" police, including some officers, were doing this extremely stupid and dangerous act, supposedly in defense of poor Liyariaits. so much disappointed with the level of common sense among our law enforcing agencies...

Profile E-mail