THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:03 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: Power of an "Aerial" fired bullet!!!

Master at Arms

Some of us are very fond of aerial firing and think that life is not complete without it. When told that it is dangerous, I have seen some of the apparently sensible and wise people replying "oh, we are just firing in air. We are not aiming at anyone" and "let the kids enjoy....... they are just firing in air"

Well, I was just sitting in my lawn tonight, listening to the sounds of aerial firing going on in some nearby vicinity that I observed a flash on the floor just next to me with a slight bang. Went there and found that around 2" portion of the concrete floor had been chipped off and there was a hole in it around 0.6" deep.

Found a 9mm bullet lying just a couple of feet away..............

As it is evident from the shape of the hole, the bullet had fallen down at close to 90 degrees angle. Must have been shot in the so called "safe direction towards the sky".

Just imagine if it had hit a human being. I weighed the bullet and it was a 9x19 Luger 124 grain bullet. If a 124 grain bullet does this to a concrete floor than what would it do to a human head????? No wonder so many people die in this country from bullets falling for the heavens.

So much for "Aerial Firing". When will we learn?? :cry:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Power of an "Aerial" fired bullet!!!

Site Admin

:o

This is really sad. These irresponsible fools will never learn. :angry-fire:

Another member of ours, Kakar, was a victim of this thing when last year, one fine morning, he found a hole in the roof of his Corolla and a hole in the driving seat. I fished out a .30 caliber bullet from inside the seat. Another case of Aerial Firing.

Thank God you are safe and sound. Be careful and please wear a helmet next time you sit in your garden.

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

What goes Up, Must Come Down.
It is " Newtons Law of Gravity"
Do people really think that a bullet falls out of the sky like a Feather ?

A bullet fired straight up falls back to earth at Termanal volocity. that is still 32 Feet Per Second SQUARED.
But a bullet fires at even the slightest angle retains the muzzle Volocity minus air drag, thru the full arc as it falls back to earth.
Plus , once the bullet reaches its Apex, gravity cancels out the air drag, and it can pick up speed again.

In Arizona, A Gun Friendly State, It is Illegal to fire a gun in the air.
It is called " Shannons Law " for a girl KILLED by a bullet fired into the air.

REMEMBER , GRAVITY, is not a SUGGESTION, IT IS A LAW.

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Yes, very bad idea and illegal here. In the 60's, I have been told a detective in New York city fired his revolver in the air, and the bullet kiled a woman in the stands at a game miles away.
I found a bullet in the warehouse I was managing many years ago, obviously fired into the air. This is why during New Years and Independane Day we tend to stay under cover...just in case.
I have been told that in some places in the Middle East these are referred to as "joy bullets".
It is also big in Mexico during celebrations, with no regard for other human lives.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

In the Phoenix area there was such a problem years ago with people shooting into the air, they have installed " Shot Spotters " around the city.
Now if you shoot a gun, thay can spot where the shot was fired from within 50 feet.
They have microphones on the power poles and street lights tied to a central computer, that monitors it in real time.
And the police WILL respond, and for multable shots, they respond in Force.

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

armoredman wrote:
This is why during New Years and Independane Day we tend to stay under cover...just in case.

Ditto. Since the last few years, I make it a point to remind all family members and close friends to STAY INDOORS especially during the 45 minutes from 11:45pm till 12:30am during new year eve.

Profile E-mail  

This is really bad. One of my cousin's six year old son was hit by a stray bullet two years back. The poor kid was sitting on the roof of his house, got hit in the head and died within minutes. No matter what the local laws say, people will still disrespect them. The law is there but there is no implementation of it.

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

KBW, that's really sad... and thank god ur safe.... in early 90s, i was in hayatabad market area (Peshawar), it was around 9 pm and i could hear a little firing bangs going on VERY FARAWAY, i asked a shop keeper and he told that there's a wedding going on few blocks away....there was a young boy about 14-16 years old walking on the footpath across the road.... i was having a cigarette and suddenly i noticed that the boy was lying flat on the road.... i thought he must have slipped or something but the boy didn't moved so out of curiosity, i went up to him to check out if hes alright and to my horror, his shalwar kameez was full of blood, rushed towards the hospital..... a falling bullet had hit near the neck/color joint........ he was dead... people don't realize that falling bullets have enough velocity to kill someone even if fired at 90 angle keeping in mind that the round will land somewhere in the open area....

Back in mid 80's, (im forgetting the state because i was very young but i still remember the incident), there was a mystery police trying to solve... a women was killed in her car while driving with a bullet... all 3 windows of the car were up.... there was no hole in the car at all but back right side window was about 3 inches down..... it was a mystery because no marksman on this earth can assassinate a person in moving car at a speed of 40-55 miles thru 3 inches back open window.... after few weeks, they figured that across the road about a 1mile away, there was a lake, across the lake, there were trees where a hunter fired a 7mm mag, he missed the animal, it ricochet from the lake and hit the women in the head across the lake

Have a look at below link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed6gFjcO7Yk

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Wow - what a wake up call. I must say though that I have always refrained from aerial shooting. But this now gives me good reason to never start.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Thanks to Almighty you were safe KBW Sb.
Just this week there was a fatality in my locality due to a stray bullet. We must strive to educate people. Aerial firing in jubilation is a known killer.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

The problem is.
A person fires a gun in the Air, and they dont SEE anyone fall dead.
So their thought is it must be safe.
And even if someone is hit a mile away, they dont relate that it could have been them that fired the shot.
And what complicates things is, Once one person fires a gun in the air, EVERYBODY fires their guns in the air.

Like in Lybia, One side would win a battle, and then celebrate firing their guns in the air, and in the next battle, they lost because they ran out of ammo.

We all have to take responsability, and be responsable for all of our actions.
Maybe if people insist on celebrating this way, they should shoot BLANKS.
They would get to make their noise, and everyone would be safe.

Profile E-mail  

@ LAGS, I agree Aerial firers should use blanks, but who will tell them to? I don't know about your country but here almost daily you can hear gun shots being fired, and most of them are aerial. In fact it is common to fire in air during marriage ceremonies. Sometime back in KPK the Govt tried to put a tab on it and they Police actually arrested grooms a number of times on their marriage night, even if the bullet was fired by someone else. I believe it controlled the menace for quite sometime, but do not know about it now. I remember attending one such marriage ceremony where the Police came to arrest the groom because some kids had fired "crackers" which surprisingly made a lot of bang, quite similar to a handgun. We found it hard to convince the Police that these were just crackers.
On a lighter note imagine if the groom were to spend his wedding night in jail; think about the bride :-)

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

We do enforce it here, and it works as well as it can. We still get drunks and idiots shooting in the air, but we very recently legalized several types of fireworks, so the hope is they will play with those instead.
If anyone fired off rounds celebrating a wedding, police would be there ASAP, and someone WOULD be spending the night in jail. Not tolerated.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

armoredman wrote:
We do enforce it here, and it works as well as it can. We still get drunks and idiots shooting in the air, but we very recently legalized several types of fireworks, so the hope is they will play with those instead.
If anyone fired off rounds celebrating a wedding, police would be there ASAP, and someone WOULD be spending the night in jail. Not tolerated.

I think this is how it should be. ZERO TOLERATION on such like things

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

A friend of my niece died of an aerial bullet on new year eve in a posh housing society in Karachi. The bullet penetrated 4" inside poor girls chest, mortally injuring the 15 years old and despite all medical care, she succumbed to the injury within 45 minutes. What a loss of life.

I am quite certain these aerial bullets were not fired by some illiterate terrorist. These were the so called "educated" criminals which can unfortunately be found in every street nowadays, trying to celebrate new year with utmost zeal and vigour by shooting their weapons in the air. In the morning, these educated guys would go to their offices and boost about "how much they enjoyed shooting on the new year eve".

How can we stop this crime......... How many more innocent lives have to be lost before these senseless people would realise what they are doing.....

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

May her soul rest in peace. Truly tragic. We need to educate our people more I guess.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Shariq wrote:
Truly tragic. We need to educate our people more I guess.

Who will educate them Shariq bhai. If the educated are involved in this crime, how would they convince the so called "illiterate" :confusion-questionmarks:

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

It's a very sad news.how her family members are suffering now because of a stupid.

TGF Managing Committee

First of all I'm glad that you're safe and sound KBW bro. Secondly it pissed me off to see these fools risking everyone's lives just to show off their armory.

Went to the LS market in Karachi on Saturday to purchase some rounds for my range session the following day and guess what ? The cops had shut down the entire market just to reduce the ammo sales for New Year's eve but still when the clock struck 12 it sounded like a war zone...

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

May her soul rest in peace.
What a shame.
It can only be 'enforce' with dedicated and unbiased law enforcement/police/rangers increasing their vigilance and ensuring that those involved in aerial firing are given exemplary punishment, equivalent to attempt at murder at minimum, in addition to disrupting peace, indiscriminate firing, and a few more.

What I did observe this weekend, that quite a few 'straight' shots were fired, with people aiming at water tanks and other targets on top of houses/buildings. Now what is the power of those bullets?

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

TGF Managing Committee

Saif wrote:
May her soul rest in peace.
What a shame.
It can only be 'enforce' with dedicated and unbiased law enforcement/police/rangers increasing their vigilance and ensuring that those involved in aerial firing are given exemplary punishment, equivalent to attempt at murder at minimum, in addition to disrupting peace, indiscriminate firing, and a few more.

What I did observe this weekend, that quite a few 'straight' shots were fired, with people aiming at water tanks and other targets on top of houses/buildings. Now what is the power of those bullets?

There you go, so now the aerial firings have stepped up a notch. In a couple of year's time these morons will start shooting at homeless druggies on the streets...

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

Just to report that 3 person died due to aerial firing (Karachi) on new year eve and 40+ injured.
One of the person died happens to be the 17 year old nephew of my office colleague.

Despite the above fact, people in my office are still talking about “safe aerial firing”

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

That's really sad.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

If a person is caught Arial firing, then just sentance them to making them be up in a Hot Air Balloon on the hollidays for the next year.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

LAGS wrote:
If a person is caught Arial firing, then just sentance them to making them be up in a Hot Air Balloon on the hollidays for the next year.

Good one LAGS. Imaginative sentence.

Profile E-mail