THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:53 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: Pistol Barrel Length: Does it matter?

Standard Shot

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pistol Barrel Length: Does it matter?

Standard Shot

Must watch for people who think large frame pistols (barrels) pack more punch.

EDIT: For people needing alternate link, please use;

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1815cc_pistol-barrel-length-does-it-matter_sport

Last edited by GunNut1 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Cant see anything bro?!?!? :think:

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

Darned government and their internet policies. Please try the Dailymotion link below;

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1815cc_pistol-barrel-length-does-it-matter_sport

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

It does.

Muzzle velocities of different barrel-sized handguns might not be significantly different from each other, however, handgun with longer barrels offer the shooter a longer sight radius, which helps in accuracy.

A sub-compact will certainly be as effective as a full-size handgun at close SD range of upto 7 yards - point-and-shoot. However, for range beyond that, where we would be required to aim-and-shoot, a longer barrel handgun would prove to be more accurate.

What do other members think?

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

SA wrote:
It does.

Muzzle velocities of different barrel-sized handguns might not be significantly different from each other, however, handgun with longer barrels offer the shooter a longer sight radius, which helps in accuracy.

A sub-compact will certainly be as effective as a full-size handgun at close SD range of upto 7 yards - point-and-shoot. However, for range beyond that, where we would be required to aim-and-shoot, a longer barrel handgun would prove to be more accurate.

Those with smaller barrels will always insist size doesn't matter! The unbearable truth however is...... it does! :lol:

Jokes aside. I agree with you SA, up to 7 yards, no big difference wrt to defensive use.

My opinion however is, a thin profiled, full sizer is best reassurance.

Regards.

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

AK47 wrote:
SA wrote:
It does.

Those with smaller barrels will always insist size doesn't matter! The unbearable truth however is...... it does! :lol:

Jokes aside. I agree with you SA, up to 7 yards, no big difference wrt to defensive use.

Regards.

Reassurance is more of a psychological thing. Don't you think?

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

SA wrote:
AK47 wrote:
SA wrote:
It does.

Regards.

Lolz! Wrt to how I know you and what you're insinuating!! :lol:

No, not necessarily a psychological thing only. But now don't enforce upon me to get into the ballistics, lol!

My point is simply, I've since long lost the interest in sub 4 inchers for carry purpose. I'd prefer couple of added ounces and carry something that's more accurate, packs a little more of foot pounds terminal impact.

Regards.

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

I agree with both the seniors, for a guy like myself who can afford only one handgun, I will try to try to get best of the both worlds, 4 inch barrel with a full size handgun, with a thin profile will do the job, few extra ounces on the weight and trying to conceal it, well I will work around the gun and wear appropriate clothing and a appropriate rig to carry it, plus some practice will do the job for me.

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

AK47 wrote:
SA wrote:
AK47 wrote:
SA wrote:
It does.

Regards.

Lolz! Wrt to how I know you and what you're insinuating!! :lol:

No, not necessarily a psychological thing only. But now don't enforce upon me to get into the ballistics, lol!

My point is simply, I've since long lost the interest in sub 4 inchers for carry purpose. I'd prefer couple of added ounces and carry something that's more accurate, packs a little more of foot pounds terminal impact.

Regards.

Apart from the accuracy, should a little more inches in barrel length do not give you a little more coverage area also???

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

Yes brother, it would. However, not significantly. The significant advantage would be accuracy due to longer sight radius.

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

I think short barrels and light pistols are a handicap, as they are more difficult to handle. So they are better left to experts. For the average guy - meaning 20 rounds per week or less training - I would say 4 inches and 800-900 grams (~30oz) is near the minimum for effective control. But that is speaking generally, of course in some kinds of situations one would rather have anything than nothing.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

IMHO, we are mixing too many things here and therefore, would not reach anything conclusive. Punching power or terminal energy / impact energy is one thing, accuracy is something entirely different and ease of carriage is another very different aspect. All of them are not dependent on one factor and therefore, should not be mixed up in discussion.

The basic question asked by GunNut1 was....
Quote:
Must watch for people who think large frame pistols (barrels) pack more punch.

Here, we are talking about impact energy (IE). Variation in MV will effect IE for sure. But we are not solving mathematical equations here. Say the MV of same ammo, when fired from a smaller barrel gun reduces from 1179 to 1143 ft/sec. What difference would it make practically? Hardly any. IMHO, we should not get too much effected by this punching power theory and to me, it is a bit "irrelevant" when we are talking of self defence. When the chips are down, it is far more important to put the round at the right place & at the right time (quickly, if needed). This is the most important and life saving aspect that one needs to keep in mind. To achieve this end, different users will have different preferences and methods and therefore, there can't be one common answer, however, one factor is common here. They all will have to achieve mastery over the use of whatever weapon they carry, in an environment when the adrenaline will be shooting sky high and the hands might be trembling. This, IMHO, is the crux of whole thing. Rest is all........ :mrgreen:

At many places, a small size gun that can be hidden in summer clothing might outweigh all other considerations. Small size guns, conversely, are not very convenient to shoot and therefoer, one needs to practice a lot so that he can put the round at the right place when needed. And don't be bothered about the loss in MV here....... You are not likely to loose your life due to 50 ft/sec difference in MV or few ft lbs loss in terminal energy, I can assure you.

Best Regards

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Bravo , brother KBW.
Just because you get a bigger BOOM with a short barrel, or 50 mor FPS on a longer barrel should not be a deciding factor.
Hitting the target is what matters, not the barrel length.
But if a long barrel is to cumbersom, or can not be consealed or deployed properly, then what good is a longer sight radius.

Profile E-mail  

Rifleman

practice practice practice!
then even a shorter,lighter gun can be efficient

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Bravo to KBW Sir for putting the matters discussed on the right path! :text-bravo:

Indeed, things were getting mixed up in gup shup style.

1) I agree with KBW Sir after being explained about the insignificant MV/IE drop, that shorter barrels for short range SD use won't be hampered much.

2) Accuracy is more important than anything else. What will a bigger boom constitute if not hit right? Agreed.

I am just of the opinion however that when carrying short barreled/compacts, at least the bore should be big. I.e, 357 Mag/45ACP.

Then practice with it extensively for the required control.

I am sorry to say - and call it my ignorance or whatsoever - I've never quite healed from the 9mm/380/Mak round's impotency syndrome! Lol!

Oh, if there were just compact/SA/DA cal 30's around, lolz!

Regards.

Profile E-mail