THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:19 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: GUN CLEANING 101

Sniper

@ Kbw,
Will u recommend brass brush for cleaning the barrel??

... یقئنا قوت نشان بازی میں ھے ...

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Gun Enthusiast wrote:
Furrukh you are comfortable with a copper jacketed projectile hurtling down the barrel at 1000+ feet per second and you think scrubbing from a brass brush will damage the barrel ?

Valid point GE bro, and this was also explained on the forum some time back. Lets see what Furrukh, and other members think about this in reference to cleaning with brass brush.

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

Master at Arms

GE, with this kind of logic, you might ruin my gift :angry-fire:

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

KBW I hope it does :)

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

@ GE and Saif: I know that a bullet passing through a barrel in terms of damage is no match for a brass brush but I'm just being paranoid.......

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

@ Furrukh
Dont be all timid.
The Brass or Bronze Brushes were designed for cleaning Barrels.
Now the Stainless steel ones are More abusive, but if used properly will Not Damage your barrel.
You are Brushing WITH the Lands and Grooves, and the Brush will follow them, and not wear off the sharp edges of your rifling.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

@ Larry

I fail to understand the purpose of the brass brush and the nylon brush. Recommendations all around are that a brass brush is more effective than the nylon brush which comes with the box, if that is the case then what purpose does the nylon brush serve, just of cleaning the body ?

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Those parts which have a strong market are generally sold as after market...

You need to clean a barrel with a nylon brush, as well as you can. Then run a cotton swab through the barrel to check, and repeat with a swab again, till a swab comes out clean. Then, run a brass brush through once, just once, and then run a cotton swab through the barrel. You will know why brass brushes are sold as after market parts.

Nylon brush will clean the barrel, but not nearly half as clean as the brass brush.

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

TGF Expert Panel

Nylon Brushes are supplied with the gun because they are cheaper.
They dont give you any Hoppe's do they.
The brushes are meant for Quick Field cleaning , and are not intended to be the sole tool to clean your barrel properly.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Saif wrote:
Nylon brush will clean the barrel, but not nearly half as clean as the brass brush.

LAGS wrote:
Nylon Brushes are supplied with the gun because they are cheaper.
+1 Saif and LAGS.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

@ Saif and LAGS:

Will give it a try during my upcoming field strip session and share my experience likewise. Thanks

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Tried the brass brush and it worked considerabily. Thanks for your advices.

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

bought this little amount of Grease at price of PKR 1000/-

working Temperature of this grease is 300 Degree Centigrades and Anti Corrison

Made in USA,

... یقئنا قوت نشان بازی میں ھے ...

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

I just spray the gun with WD-40 asap i stop shooting inside the barrel. though it is NOT designed to act as a cleaner.. it is just a de-oxidizing agent as it was originally made for proofing the rockets standing in open sky from rusting. It is a hydrocarbon and oil based. Hydrocarbon thins the oil and gives it penetrating effect; soon it evaporates and then oil is left behind.. this is what gives the sticky feeling. I personally never use wd-40 for the oiling BUT use it to clean the corners and washing of the crevices of the gun. People say this is waste of using too much wd-40 but in my opinion the small fragments of powder and dust are the WORST enemies of the action of a gun as they start the wear and act as an emery powder. SA uses vest, i do the same.. bro at arms.. hehehe..

The gun oils are the only good option and be used as it was their intention. Better than that is the Silica grease and small tub costs 750 and can go a long long way.

The ring at the end of the chamber is slightly recessed in some guns or chamfering is done.. This makes the shell leave the bullet and expand according to the space allowed. The bevel that is in the space between the grooves and the chamber is one of the MOST important places as it accumulates the powder from primer along with gun powder. The best way to clean this ring is with a sewing needle rounded off a bit so that it doesn't scratch the metal in a slow manner. A bore light is absolutely important to see this fouling and removal. At the start it may seem like doing work of a gold smith and not a gun smith.. but this is what keeps the chamber and the chamfer clean. Since the Primer have in some cases used aluminum or glass particles to start a friction and as aid in setting uniform powder burning; in addition to leaving Potassium chloride in side the barrel. The Chamfer.. i.e. the ring always has the MOST of the fouling and almost always seen with a lot of gunk/ rust developed.. this is where wd-40 does its work. What i do is make a small plug with tissue paper and block the chamber and from the barrel side put a LOT of wd-40 till i can see that the area of chamfering is under liquid, leave for about an hour or so and then work with a needle or a small scraper made from the tools of a dentist. HEHEHE.. best gun cleaning equipment that i have came from a dentist equipment shop/ friend.

Anyways.. cleaning a gun properly while looking for any of the small tid bits left behind is most important..

I also use a hair dryer to evaporate the hydro carbons from barrel when it demands so, and use ONLY the water from the Air conditioner to boil any parts to degrease and clean them properly.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Graffiti in ruins of Pompeii (in the basilica): The one who buggers a fire burns his p....

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

@ Canik there is a shop in the Rimpa Plaza market on the other side of the road; there is a small street that keeps the tools. This shop is the fourth on right side, and has greases in the display window. they sell a small tub (aluminum can) of silica grease, with a working temp around 700 C. and is about 350 grams inside. The best option as i have found it to be very thin in viscosity no oily feeling yet very very slippery..

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Graffiti in ruins of Pompeii (in the basilica): The one who buggers a fire burns his p....

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Furrukh wrote:
Tried the brass brush and it worked considerabily. Thanks for your advices.

My earlier post as quoted above was my experience with my 9mm handgun. I did not realize the utility of the brass brush till I field stripped my new acquired Mossberg (detailed review to follow shortly).

Having never handled and cleaned the barrel of the shotgun I never realized that the shotgun barrel can get so dirty. I followed the usual steps and used the nylon brush but the results were not very impressive. Then I tried the brass brush. Before cleaning the barrel with the brass brush the barrel internals were clogged down with deposits which were very easily visible. Whilst I was cleaning with the brass brush to my surprise suddenly the deposits poured out of the muzzle. After cleaning with the brass brush and a final mopping with the gun powder solvent the barrel internal was so clean that it was shinning like a mirror. I am a convert now.

Thanks to LAGS and KBW shb for their inputs.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

After using the brass brush I must say that it effectively cleans the barrel. However would you guys recommend using it even after one has fired let's say a minimum of 30 rounds or so ? or perhaps after 3-4 range visits at a round count of let's say 100 rounds or so ?

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Furrukh wrote:
After using the brass brush I must say that it effectively cleans the barrel. However would you guys recommend using it even after one has fired let's say a minimum of 30 rounds or so ? or perhaps after 3-4 range visits at a round count of let's say 100 rounds or so ?

Guys ?

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Furrukh wrote:
Furrukh bro, why this question? It appears that you still have this worry that a brass brush, though a better cleaner, would cause wear & tear to the steel barrel if used regularly. Few members have somehow specified the number of rounds after which a brass brush should be used, which has perhaps created some confusion.

In my view, it is NOT THE NUMBER OF ROUNDS but the cleanliness condition of barrel as well as the availability of time for cleaning that dictates the use of brass brush. If I have shot 100 rounds in one go, and have immediately applied a solvent in the barrel and cleaned it with a pull through or a bore snake right at the range than its ok , though I would still like to clean it with a brass brush if I have the opportunity (complete cleaning kit may not be available at the range every time). But if I have shot only 30 rounds, could not clean the barrel there and then and for next two days also due to some commitment which has allowed copper and carbon deposits to settle down in the grooves, I would definitely clean it with a brass brush. If I have the opportunity to clean with a brass brush every time, I will do it every time. It makes cleaning quick and efficient.

I don't think we can really specify use of brass brush after 100 rounds or 200 round or 300 rounds or even 30 rounds. In my view, it should be done as frequently as possible.

regards

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

@ KBW bro: I was confused rearding the frequency of using a brass brush, but your post as always has made things crystal clear. Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Ever since I have started using a bore snake, life has become much easier. It even has copper wire wound around it, so it does great cleaning. However, from next time onwards I am going to carry it to the range with me and do the cleaning there.

Profile E-mail  

Regional Ambassador - Multan Chapter

Copper or metal brush is not much harmful as long as the metal wire in which it is wrought doesn't scratch the cuts of grooves,, too much of it might damage,,,,, and above all the metal rod has a potential of damaging the crown of the barrel.

I have found bore snakes to be the best equipment along with Hoppe's Copper solvent and Brunox.

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

LAGS wrote:
If you want to find out if your barrel has copper fouling, Just swab the inside of the barrel with a clean patch with Regular Ammonia on it.
Let it sit for a while wet, and them the next patch will come out Greenish Blue if there is copper in the barrel.
Soak your Bore with Ammonia and it will loosen it up so it will come out by regular cleaning.

@LAGS
what do you mean with "regular ammonia"?
do you mean 8% or 25% solution?
how long must ammonia stay in the bore inside?
thanks

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

@ Swissman
Regular Cleaning Ammonia.
You can leave it in for as long as you like.
But Ammonia is NOT some INSTANT Clean option.
It like many other chemicals or products takes time, and repeated cleaning, depending on how dirty your barrel is and what you are trying to clean out.
Try to limit your Blue Surfaces to ANY Chemical except OIL.
Letting a Gun SOAK in a chemical is not always best.
It is better to clean repeatedly, for better results.

CAUTION
Any product that is Rub it On, and it is instant clean, may be just to powerful, and could harm the metal of your gun.
Cleaning Takes TIME and some WORK.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

To apply a thin coat of oil inside the barrel after a cleaning session that is the question ?

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next