THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:04 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: GUN CLEANING 101

Nice tip LAGS, I will try this soon.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Shariq wrote:
FB Hoppes sells a dedicated copper solvent too. I guess it'll clean all copper fouling. LAGS told us that copper fouling occurs more in rifles as compared to handguns but still it needs to be cleaned.

I believe that's just a marketing gimmick as their gun powder solvent as claimed by them cleans copper gunk too. I think that they are just encouraging consumption. How many solvents would one use ? It doesn't end....

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

@ LAGS: The patch comes out greenish blue even when I use Hoppes No. 9 Gun Powder Solvent after a shooting session so I guess the gun powder solvent is doing the trick, or I am assuming that it is ?

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

@ Furrukh
The greenish color showes that the copper is being disolved or loosened.
But it could also be from the bronze in your cleaning brush, or the Brass tip on your cleaning rod.
So if you want to determine if there is NO copper fouling, you want to use a ammonia based cleaner, and MAKE SURE there is No other scorce of copper or brass that can give you a False reading.

Getting ALL the copper out of your barrel is nearly imposable. Especially on an older barrel.
But it can be reduced with proper cleaning.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

@ Larry:

I don't have any bronze contents in the brush that I use. The tip of the cleaning rod is plastic / rubber. So I am assuming that the solvent did it's job...

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

I would say you are correct.
It is just that I have seen guys complaining about their bores being copper fouled because their patch was always green.
Only to find out they were using a Brass tip Jag that was giving them the impression that there was still a large amount of copper in the bore.
But without any other scorce of copper or brass while cleaning your bore, Your solvent is cleaning out the copper like it is supposed to.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

LAGS wrote:
I would say you are correct.
It is just that I have seen guys complaining about their bores being copper fouled because their patch was always green.
Only to find out they were using a Brass tip Jag that was giving them the impression that there was still a large amount of copper in the bore.
But without any other scorce of copper or brass while cleaning your bore, Your solvent is cleaning out the copper like it is supposed to.

Thanks Larry. One more question. After I finish field stripping and cleaning my handgun I apply a thin layer of gun oil inside the barrel and place the entire firearm in the holster ready to be used when required. Some folks do not recommend this but I follow this practice because I think it has more benefits. Your views ?

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

I ALWAYS oil the barrel when I am done field stripping or Doing a DCOA.
Then I run one loose Dry clean patch thru the bore just to remove any excess oil, but not to completly dry the bore.
It will leave a film of oil enough to protect the bore, but not too much oil as to collect dust.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Thanks Larry.

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

is brunox spray enough for cleaning or hoppers solvent is also required... before using hoppers gun oil. Is there any good CLP (3 in one spray) which can be used instead of all three or two products separately. (What about Nasa)?

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Brunox spray like LAGS earlier mentioned is a good all purpose gun cleaner. Brunox is far far much better than NASA and WD-40. Brunox is also very good for cleaning the barrel internals but there are some depositis like lead which Brunox does not target thus I recommend to use Hoppes Gun Powder Solvent simaltaneously with Brunox to clean the barrel internal.

Now for lubrication. Brunox's can states that it can be used for lubricating gun parts like the slide for smoother racking but I think that any lubricating material in spray form is junk so I use either grease or Hoppes No. 9 Gun Oil. Far much better retention that oil in spray form. Brunox can also be used for ocassional protection on the entire outer region of the gun between field stripping sessions.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Has anyone thought to put Hoppes in an old pump spray bottle that you have lying around the house?
That way you are getting some Flooding or Fogging type application if that is what you desire.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

LAGS wrote:
Has anyone thought to put Hoppes in an old pump spray bottle that you have lying around the house?
That way you are getting some Flooding or Fogging type application if that is what you desire.

Never thought of it LAGS and I personally wouldn't prefer it. I like the good ol method of swabbing the barrel.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

@ Furrukh.
I do not prefer to spray the hoppe's either but I have found it useful for some applications.
It is better to have the Knowledge and options if needed, if the need arises.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

@ Larry.
Point taken, but in my view point spray lubricants would only come in handly when we have to clean the entire body of the weapon like we use WD-40 and/or Brunox. I'm not sure if Hoppes Gun Powder Solvent which we commonly get and use here will serve the purpose which Brunox serves, or I might be wrong here. Plus Hoppes is too expensive to waste in spray form :-)

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

For a price comparison: Hoppes 9 Spray costs 4 times the price of WD-40 here in our neck of the woods.

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

During my last field strip session I experimented with an old yet clean toothbrush and believe me it was much effective and convenient than our regular nylon brush. Ofcourse for the barrel internals I stuck to the nylon brush.

So the next time you're planning to discard your old toothbrush, think twice ;-)

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

@ Furrukh
Now you are looking to be Pro Active in your hobby.
You are looking for things that may end up to be discarded, but may still have use for other things.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Thanks Larry.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

No tooth brush is ever thrown out in my house. They all become part of cleaning kit and are thrown out only when they are no good to clean a gun. However, for cleaning the barrel, I always use a brass brush. A nylon brush does not clean the barrel properly.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

I have a brass brush which came in a 9mm gun cleaning kit which I purchased last year. It is still in mint condition as I still have not built up the confidence of using one, don't know why. Nylon brush is what I prefer...

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Furrukh wrote:
I have a brass brush which came in a 9mm gun cleaning kit which I purchased last year. It is still in mint condition as I still have not built up the confidence of using one, ...

:) Brother, I will gladly accept it as a gift if you don't intend using it in future. In fact, all members who have brass brushes and do not intend using them can get rid of them by gifting those to me. I don't mind using them :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

KBW wrote:
Furrukh wrote:
I have a brass brush which came in a 9mm gun cleaning kit which I purchased last year. It is still in mint condition as I still have not built up the confidence of using one, ...

:) Brother, I will gladly accept it as a gift if you don't intend using it in future. In fact, all members who have brass brushes and do not intend using them can get rid of them by gifting those to me. I don't mind using them :mrgreen:

In the context you'll be receiving plenty of presents from TGF :D

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

and a lot of barrels will stay dirty...

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

Marksman

Furrukh you are comfortable with a copper jacketed projectile hurtling down the barrel at 1000+ feet per second and you think scrubbing from a brass brush will damage the barrel ?

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next