THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:04 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Scary Experiance With My PT99

Master at Arms

Ddeslaur Warm welcome sir.
This must be the problem. Hope it does not happen again.

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

mdqambrani wrote:
Hi, dear
If i am not wrong it is due to moisture. The powder inside bullet does not burns completely and can not produce the required force to push the bullet head. Keep the Bullets in a moisture free place. It is not the fault of firearm nor of Bullets.

If its due to moisture than how can i save my rounds from its. Karachi is a very humid area & i live very near to the sea. I store my rounds along with weapons in a metal safe. One thing i have noticed in S&B and Barnaul rounds, their outer shine has changed whereas china has not changed much. Is it also due to the moisture?

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

Ddeslaur wrote:
Your bullet didn't have a powder charge. The primer went off but isn't powerfull enough to push the bullet all the way through the barrel. What you felt on your face was the pressure from the primer. The charge not being strong enough expand the brass and seal the chamber the pressure escaped through the firing pin and back in your face.
I reload and this has happened to me in the past before i installed a powder check die on my press that confirms whether or not I have any powder, low or overload charge.
To get the bullt out I use a brass rod that I insert from the muzzle and knock it out. Use lubricant if you're afraid of damaging your barrel but it usually comes out quite easily.
Good luck and I hope it doesn't happen to you again!

HMR wrote:
Ddeslaur Warm welcome sir.
This must be the problem. Hope it does not happen again.

Thanks Ddeslaur & HMR bro.
Unfortunately it did happened again. I had some rounds of the same ammo left & decided to check them. 12 rounds fired ok but the 13th round went off in the same manner. A cracker like popping sound, no backward movement of slide & hence no ejection, stinging sensation on face. Only difference this time was that the projectile did not got stuck in the barrel, i believe it had enough force behind it to make it through.

Profile E-mail  

Newly Registered User

It is defective ammo lot in my view. Dont use this lot.

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

Hi all,

Sorry to drop in on the subject so late, but.....@MR

Quote:
Do not use too much oil for lubrication, and never ever lub the mag or the firing pin area.

Kindly explain why one should never lube the mag or the firing pin area....cos i do it quite often even clean and dry the rounds with WD 40. :?: :? so far had no issues with any ammo nor the MP 446 handgun I have!!

regards,
gichki

Profile E-mail  

Gichki:
If you lube the firing pin area, there is a chance that the "strike" of the firing pin may dampen due to it, and may cause light strike or misfire.

About the magazine, the oil may get on the cases or the projectile, and when fired will cause unusual sealing effect and may increase chamber pressure too, which is normally NOT desired.

And I would also suggest to stop cleaning your rounds with WD40. You may not have had issues yet, but you might if they are not cleaned and left for a long time, or even fired right after.

BTW, why do you need to clean your ammo with WD40??

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

Thanks for the quick reply MR...well living in a coastal town where rust is an active anti-metal factor, it catches on the casings of the rounds if kept unattended!!

I have done this twice when I noticed the casings were getting faded some even had traces of rust on them with time even when kept in a cupboard under lock & key. Later say after a week or two....maybe more, I did use those rounds and experienced no issues of any kind with the rounds!

Thanks,
gichki.

Profile E-mail  

Gichki, store your guns, especially ammo, in sealed airtight containers, with 'Silica gel' bags in them.

Be sure to "recharge" the silica gel, when they change colour (meaning they have absorbed a lot of humidity), by putting them in the sunlight (or oven), for de-humidification! ;)

Regards

Profile E-mail  

Rifleman

Mangloo is right, leave lubricants on or in your gun unless it's a light oil on the slide. Not only for the problems mentioned by Mangloo but dirt will stick to the pin and if you do not clean it after each use will eventually jam it and cause misfires. This isn't a serious problem if you use the gun just for target use but it can be a nuissance. Clean it with WD40 or whatever lube you have but dry it off. The parts are usually tight fitting and are smooth enough that they don't require lube.

Hope this helps and I hope the problem didn't re-occur.

Profile E-mail  

Rifleman

correction Mangloo is right DON'T leave lubricants on or in your gun!!

Profile E-mail