THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:06 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: Using a bore snake?

Sniper

I have got a bore snake for my 12g and I have found it a very useful thing for cleaning the guns and it also save time. The only problem with bore snake is that it is expensive. I wanted to buy more bore snakes for other calibers like 9mm.

I wanted to know members feedback on this that how many members use bore snake for cleaning their weapons and how many feel that a bore snake is too expensive and wastage of money and something much cheaper can do the job. Those who use, which brand and what is the current price and availability of different caliber bore snakes in Pakistan.
regards :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Using a bore snake?

I only use it for my .303 and .22. For 9 mm I rely in the cleaning rod and brush. Bore snakes are very inexpensive here, but off course these aren't branded. I have a 5.56 mm cal cleaning kit, which I believe is standard US Army issue. It has a bore snake and I use it for both my rifles.

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

six_shooter wrote:
I only use it for my .303 and .22. For 9 mm I rely in the cleaning rod and brush. Bore snakes are very inexpensive here, but off course these aren't branded. I have a 5.56 mm cal cleaning kit, which I believe is standard US Army issue. It has a bore snake and I use it for both my rifles.
Sir, I would definitely like to know about these inexpensive bore snakes. This is good news. Can you please post some pics.

BTW, why you don't clean your 9mm with a bore snake. It is the quickest method to clean the pistol immediately after firing :confusion-questionmarks:

Profile E-mail  

@ MB, I always thought bore snakes were for long barrels? Is it not so? Sorry do not have enough knowledge about these. And about these inexpensive bore snakes well these are available in abundance, commonly called as "pull through".
You can make one out of shoe laces as well. Just give them a good knot at one end. Use synthetic shoe laces so that they don't break in the barrel.

Profile E-mail  

@ SS:
There is a difference in "Bore Snakes" and "Pull Throughs"!

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

I believe a bore snake comprises of different portions which serve different purposes (as compared to the pull through, which is the same all the way through) and is capable of cleaning the barrel much more quickly and comprehensively as compared to the rod/brush.

I use a bore snake before shooting my guns, to clean any dirt/sand particles that may have entered the barrel (our range is near the sea) as well as after shooting my guns at the range after spraying in a bit of Brunox spray.

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

I bought a nato cleaning kit that has flexible wires for both handguns and rifles/shotguns.
An extension Can be attached to the wire on which the patch can be fixed.
Very useful.

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

The round thing is an attachment for 40mm grenade launchers
Im thinking of making a LUTOO from it

Profile E-mail  

Thanks MR and SA, never knew that

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

There is lot of difference in a bore snake and pullthrough. Pullthrough is a normal string with a loop at one end to attach patches and a metallic head on the other end to add weight to the string. Bore snake, is a pull through, cleaning patch (with surface equal to 150 cleaning patches at one time) and a brass brush, all in one. It is one of the most efficient cleaners, specially on the range where one can not open the gun and resort to detailed cleaning.

This is a 12 g bore snake.

This is a .22 / .223 / 5.56 bore snake.

Bore snake are quite expensive. The are made of quality material, are washable and last quite sometime. Bore snakes are available for every caliber and cost from $ 17 to $ 25 for each caliber, depending on the brand.

@Muhammad m
muhammad m wrote:
Brother this is a normal cleaning kit. Does it contain a bore snake also?

And may I also request you to write Muhammad with capital M in your user ID.

regards

Profile E-mail  

Thanks for educating KBW. Never knew that

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

No it does not have a bore snake
But the round brush attachment is made from very hard wires. Cleans real good.

So do you wash the snake after some time ?

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

I used to clean my weapons with wd40 after range day.
I was satisfied untill i bought this kit and used the brushes and patches with hopes solvent.
I was shocked to see how much gunk was stuck over all this time in the corner of the grooves.

Now i would never recommend wd40 to anyone

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

muhammad m wrote:
Yes, whenever it gets dirty.

muhammad m wrote:
I was satisfied untill i bought this kit and used the brushes and patches with hopes solvent.
I was shocked to see how much gunk was stuck over all this time in the corner of the grooves.

Brother, WD-40 or Brunox or Hoppes all are solvents. They assist in cleaning but do not clean at their own. It is the brush and the patch which does the cleaning and brass brush is best of them all. You are seeing more dirt coming out because of brass brush and not because of using or not using WD-40.

I will say no more because the thread is regarding bore snakes :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

Bore snakes are very effective. I have one for 9mm/357 and immediately after shooting I spray Brunox inside the barrel from chamber side without opening the gun and pass bore snake twice. It does really well :)

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

KBW wrote:
muhammad m wrote:
Yes, whenever it gets dirty.

muhammad m wrote:

Brother, WD-40 or Brunox or Hoppes all are solvents. They assist in cleaning but do not clean at their own. It is the brush and the patch which does the cleaning and brass brush is best of them all. You are seeing more dirt coming out because of brass brush and not because of using or not using WD-40.

I will say no more because the thread is regarding bore snakes :mrgreen:

Makes sence. I was using a plastic bore brush before

Profile E-mail  

I haven't seen bore snakes in Peshawar at least. Any ideas about there availability else where. Really want to get one.

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

I checked up from few shops in Lahore but did not find. Still have to check with Buksh Elahi and Hira. Someone told me that they were available with Tayabally in Karachi. Can any Karachi member confirm and also the price :)

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

Its always good to have & use quality branded stuff. Till I'm going to get one such expensive gadget to clean my .22 rifles & airgun, I made one from the simple stuff always around (as usual ;-) )

Its a normal automotive electric wire on one end & two jogger laces tied to it at different points (about an inch apart) with paper tape to keep a smooth gradient of thickness. Any household coated electrical wire of appropriate thickness or white / round telephone wire works equally good.

It does the job perfectly well and is so cheap that even calculating its cost is difficult...

I bet no one can tell if the bore is cleaned by Hoppe's or Tareen's bore snake !

Profile E-mail  

This is good stuff Tareen!!

Thanks for sharing!

I was thinking of using a para-cord for the same purpose! ;)

Profile E-mail  

Good idea Tareen. thanks for sharing.

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

@Tareen
Sir this is a very nice share. Is the joint between electric wire and laces which is taped strong enough when you pull it hard? I will definitely try to make a bore snake like thing with this method. Thanks for sharing :handgestures-salute:

Profile E-mail  

@MB, would appreciate if you could share pics. thanks

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

@Mangloo Ramzani, six_shooter & MythBuster, thank you brothers for kind words.

@Mythbuster...Yes indeed, the paper tape works great being less stretchable than pvc electric and more scratch>tear resistant than translucent packing tape. Spiral wrapping the tape one round before adding the lace does the magic of holding it with wire for a much stronger pull.

Regards

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

TAREEN wrote:
@Mythbuster...Yes indeed, the paper tape works great being less stretchable than pvc electric and more scratch>tear resistant than translucent packing tape. Spiral wrapping the tape one round before adding the lace does the magic of holding it with wire for a much stronger pull.
Thanks for details Sir. This kind of bore snake is good for .22 but taking idea from this, I was thinking that can we make a bore snake for 12 bore also? For that we need to attach something to the laces, making it more thick. Same for 7 mm and other rifles also because two laces may not work in those bigger caliber. How can we attach some cleaning patch with the laces? One idea is that we keep one lace longer than the other lace and make a loop at the end and put a cleaning patch in that loop like it is normally done in pull through. Any ideas?

Profile E-mail