THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:43 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Using a bore snake?

Shooter

MythBuster wrote:
Thanks for details Sir. This kind of bore snake is good for .22 but taking idea from this, I was thinking that can we make a bore snake for 12 bore also? For that we need to attach something to the laces, making it more thick. Same for 7 mm and other rifles also because two laces may not work in those bigger caliber. How can we attach some cleaning patch with the laces? One idea is that we keep one lace longer than the other lace and make a loop at the end and put a cleaning patch in that loop like it is normally done in pull through. Any ideas?

Absolutely right. It might take 3 or 4 laces depending on their thickness to be suitable for all rifled guns both in short & long barrels.

As for running the patch, if a dry bore is required for immediate shooting, then oiled patch can be tied with a string (just one edge) around the laces at the start and of for storage & lubrication, at the end of the laces. I forgot to mention previously, the plastic tips of laces should be removed from the loose ends to avoid any scrubbing & provide a fluffy brush at the end.

Your question about 12 gauge tickled my imagination. After considering & thinking about different materials I ended up with a broad smile and being thankful to Allah Almighty that I was born in Pakistan...being the largest & cheapest bore-snake manufacturing country. The 'Azaar Band'. It might not be available on Google (and that will be a surprise though!) and I don't know any other terminology used for it based on region but just to elaborate, its the knitted-stretchable-squeezable cord/rope used to tie Shalwar..the garment that most of us wear on Eid day, Jumma Prayers & on some close relative's marriage. ;-)

Shaking the memories, there used to be very nice silky & colorful Azaarbands available in our region as well many years ago and probably still are famous in KPK / Peshawar region. Those would be most suitable as they were knitted round like a sock unlike the white ones available nowadays that are a single layer flat-knit. Though good & perfect for rifles but not for shotgun.

For shotgun, the round-knitted ones can be filled with cotton or better if foam that can make its dia slightly more than the bore or equal to the outer dia of the chamber/barrel.

Any of these wonderful bore-snakes can be made in minutes with a cost of under USD1 or Rs. 100. And those who have been using them for years must take pride as Creativity is making complex things simple, not the other way around.

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

Mangloo Ramzani wrote:
This is good stuff Tareen!!

Thanks for sharing!

I was thinking of using a para-cord for the same purpose! ;)

I think Para-cord is having a solid core, if so, it might be either loose or very tight to pull through. If some cord has certain amount of sponginess, then its great.

Rgds

Profile E-mail  

Regional Ambassador - Islamabad Chapter

The Narra idea is definitely worth trying... :D

"If you are good at something, dont do it for free.." Joker.

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

@Tareen
Wow Azarband, this is a brilliant idea Sir. The problem solved and now I think many more ideas can be added to one basic thing Azarband to make different types of bore snakes. :text-bravo:

TAREEN wrote:
its the knitted-stretchable-squeezable cord/rope used to tie Shalwar..the garment that most of us wear on Eid day, Jumma Prayers & on some close relative's marriage. ;-)
This is the only thing where I have slight disagreement. I wear shalwaar every day and not on Eid, Jumma or some close relatives marriage only :mrgreen:

Thanks for a brilliant idea and a very very easy solution Tareen bhai. :handgestures-salute:
Now let me search for some good quality Azarband. :roll:

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Now this is called ingenuity of mind. What a simple solution Tareen bhai and I think it can work very efficiently and is extremely cost effective. How about filling the azarband with cotton or some other cleaning material and stitch the open sides with a thread? (I think Larry has penetrated our minds well enough and we all are now thinking of creating something out of nothing. :mrgreen: )

Guys, from where can I get best quality "Azarbands". MB, please do let us know if you come across Azarbands made of durable material :roll:

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

KBW wrote:
MB, please do let us know if you come across Azarbands made of durable material :roll:
Sir, I have already tasked my better half because reportedly they can be available from maniari shops. :shifty:

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

@Rotorcrafts, MythBuster & KBW, thank you for appreciation brothers.

KBW wrote:
How about filling the azarband with cotton or some other cleaning material and stitch the open sides with a thread?

Absolutely a perfect solution if the sock type are not available. Better though (might be), layering up 1 to 5 (depending on requirement of rifles to shotgun) flat-knits bands while stretched. And then let them roll back to their rounded shape....Viola

Profile E-mail  

I found Bore Snakes for .22 and .303, 30-06, .380 etc at a local shop here. He claims they are original, I am not sure though but still bought them both for my rifles. I used them today and they work all right. Now I am planning to make one out of "Äzarband" for my shot gun. Each one cost Rs 1400.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Similar are available in Khi for 2200. Those are Chinese copies. Do update us abt their performance.
Original with Guns & Accessories and TA asking above 5k.

Profile E-mail  

@ SS:
Are more available? If yes pl book some for me, I'll get them when I visit Peshawar, end December

Profile E-mail  

@MR, he had about 5 pieces of .22 and 1 of .303 . I can get .22 for you if you want. will check about other calibers. Which one do you need?

Profile E-mail  

Sir need one for each .22 , 308 & 303. If available!

Profile E-mail  

ok

Profile E-mail