THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:11 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: Which brush to use for pistol barrel cleaning?

Sharp Shooter

I've had this question lingering in my mind since a long time. I have heard from some that using brass brush might damage the barrel, while some recommend using brass brush to clean it.

Need :character-oldtimer: advice.

:text-feedback:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Which brush to use for pistol barrel cleaning?

TGF Expert Panel

If you have got fouling that would not go away with nylon brush, cleaning patches and solvent, there would be no other option except using a brass/copper brush. Similar is case if barrel has rust in it.

Someone once told me that one must use brass brush after a couple of thousand rounds, but I rather believe that if there is not fouling inside, there is no need for such.

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

Marksman

I would Agree with Saif

...with chrome plating in most of new barrels using the brass brush is a bit overdo in my opinion.. nevertheless people do use it and I have never heard anyone complaining about their barrels being ruined by doing so!! :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Brass brush does not damage the barrel as brass is a much softer metal than forged steel with which the barrels are made.

I usually clean the barrels of my handgun with brass brush after every 200-300 rounds, not every time. There would always be more fouling in the barrel than what you would expect. Sometimes, when the cloth patch comes out clean and one feels the barrel is absolutely clean, one may put some solvent inside the barrel for a while and then give it a rubbing with brass brush. Now clean it with a cloth patch and you would see that the patch, which came out clean previously, would now be dark green / black in colour. Brass brush helps removing the old copper deposits in the chamber and in areas between lands and grooves, which normally cant be cleaned with cloth patches / nylon brushes. :)

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Sir, wouldn't using a copper solvent help in this case by reducing the need for using brass brush or at least increase the intervals from 300 rounds to 500 or so rounds?

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

Master at Arms

Best is to try it with your gun and one would have a fair idea. I have tried it on numerous occasions and found a brass brush very useful in cleaning old metal deposits. :)

Brass brushes of various types are always a part of every good cleaning kit. If they were that harmful for the gun barrel, they wouldn't be there. However, there is no need of cleaning the barrel with a brass brush every time because there wouldn't be enough metal deposits meriting the use of a brass brush. :)

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Sir i use the brush which comes with the Glock. Is it good enough or i need to use the brass one after every 300 rds. ( Assuming you know what i am talking about. )

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Shariq bhai, initially I did not use a copper brush with PT99 and that allowed the metal deposits to settle down slowly and gradually. Than I made it a point to use it after around 300-400 rounds. That would mean around 6-8 practice sessions. So cleaning 5 or 6 times with a normal patch and then with a copper brush. Then it also depends when the weapon is cleaned. If that is done immediately after firing, its easy. The next day, it would take more time and effort :)

Ghazi sahib would be able to give better advice on the subject.

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Intersting topic. A personal experience:

SA was here during summer and generously handed me a fluid bottle of Hoppes No. 9 copper solvent. Had never used solvents before. I thought to try it out on my special rifle, which is always "lush push", cleaned, oiled, dusted off, ready for the "go" signal anytime! ;) :lol:

Heck, even this highly "clean" rifle barrel wasn't exactly as clean as I really had expected it to be! The patches kept coming out green, one by one, and I think I gave up after full 10 patches or so, still green! :o :angry-fire:

I left it there, since I had the impression, that this problem is not going to get solved without some brass brush, which I didn't have at that time. I'll give it a try now, since my Otis Kit does have a brass 7.62 brush.

And trust me that rifle barrel just shines like anything you could think of.

I was wondering in fact, that loaded with this solvent and a few white patches, no dealer could ever sell you an old weapon in the name of a new! :twisted: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

I was wondering in fact, that loaded with this solvent and a few white patches, no dealer could ever sell you an old weapon in the name of a new! :twisted: :lol:

Good one. I'll give it a try whenever in doubt.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Khalid Bin Waleed wrote:
So cleaning 5 or 6 times with a normal patch and then with a copper brush.

Sir little clarification. What do mean by normal patch ? A dry patch or soaked with any solvent ?

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

AK47 wrote:
Intersting topic. A personal experience:

SA was here during summer and generously handed me a fluid bottle of Hoppes No. 9 copper solvent. Had never used solvents before. I thought to try it out on my special rifle, which is always "lush push", cleaned, oiled, dusted off, ready for the "go" signal anytime! ;) :lol:

Heck, even this highly "clean" rifle barrel wasn't exactly as clean as I really had expected it to be! The patches kept coming out green, one by one, and I think I gave up after full 10 patches or so, still green! :o :angry-fire:

I left it there, since I had the impression, that this problem is not going to get solved without some brass brush, which I didn't have at that time. I'll give it a try now, since my Otis Kit does have a brass 7.62 brush.

And trust me that rifle barrel just shines like anything you could think of.

My experience with the Hoppes # 9 solvent has also been similar. The shine in the pistol barrel is indeed like anything after a few patches of this solvent.

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

Nice information.........Will try # 9.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Shariq wrote:
Khalid Bin Waleed wrote:
So cleaning 5 or 6 times with a normal patch and then with a copper brush.

Sir little clarification. What do mean by normal patch ? A dry patch or soaked with any solvent ?

Shariq bhai, both. Soaked patch first and then the dry patch for removal of dir and drying up.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Thanks Sir

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

I take it that most if not all of your pistol amunition is Jacketed.
I shoot a lot of Cast Lead Bullets in all of my handguns to keep the ammo costs down.
If you only shoot jacketed bullets, using a brass or Bronze brush every 200 to 300 rounds is ample.
Now if you shoot primarily Lead bullets, Use a brass brush after every shooting session to keep down any Lead Fouling, or lead build up.

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Where can I get the Hoppes copper solvent and how much will it set me back?

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

@ Phoenix,

EBCO - Forum
Rs. 550

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

Brass brush wont hurt your barrel a bit. A bullet passing through that rifling is a thousand times more abusive than running a brass brush through.
There is a firing range here were they clean gun barrels using a steel wool (used for scrubbing pans) wrapped in a bore brush. They swear that its works just as fine as any brush and at the fraction of the cost. The range there actually has a CZ75 with 70,000 rounds old and steel wool maintains the barrel. I'm actually a believer of this method

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

delacruz12002 wrote:
Brass brush wont hurt your barrel a bit. A bullet passing through that rifling is a thousand times more abusive than running a brass brush through.

:lol: And I thought the brass brush was actually damaging the barrel. Learned one more thing today. Thanks delacruz12002

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

I have a friend that refused to use an Aluminum cleaning rod to clean his guns.
He said that an Aluminum rod, gets corroded on the outside, with a fine Oxidation.
His thought was, that the oxidation, was Aluminum Oxide. and isnt that what they make sandpaper, and grinding wheels out of ?
When he was at my house one day, I put an old section of a gun barrel in my vise and asked him to take a aluminum cleaning rod and rub it sideways across the barrel for 15 minutes.
He did that, and when he was done, the rod had a flat spot on one side, and the barrel barely had the bluing worn off.

I think I proved to him that aluminum is softer thsn steel, and a aluminum rod is not going to hurt your barrel.

Profile E-mail  

WOW! I never knew a brass/copper brush was so important. Getting one ASAP.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Using a Brass, Copper or BRONZE bore brush gets all the fouling out of the rifling in your bore.
Stainless steel brushes work too, but they are a little more abusive in the bore, but wont hurt it if used sparingly.
A bore brush is very usefull to get small amounts of lead out of your bore, if shooting cast bullets, so it wont start to build up over time.
Use the proper sized bore brush for your gun.
Using a larger bore brush, say a .45 brush in a 9mm wont clean it better.
In fact, the bristles fold back and drag across the bore , rather than the tips scrubbing the bore.

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Thanks for your input LAGS.

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

Brass brush wears easily. Wrap steel wool around a worn brush. It cost less than US$.50 and lasts forever.
I know some may say that steel wool is too hard on the barrel, but in a gun range here, steel wool is what they use extensively and no adverse effects sofar.

Profile E-mail