THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:53 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: Effective BORE CLEANERS

TGF Expert Panel

Many of you are in a quandry on what Bore cleaner to use, and is it effective.
Problem solved. JUST TEST Them.
Pull the bullet off one of the types of ammo you shoot, and place it in a Small CLOSED container filled with your favorite Bore Cleaner, and do not open the container for TWO WEEKS.
After the two weeks, inspect the bullet and see if you can see signs of deterioration or color change on the bullet.
When I say color change, I do not mean just getting a darker patina or turning from polished copper to darker copper.
The most effective bore cleaners will actually have started Etching into the surface of the bullet or the lead tip if present.
If you are worried about if they are removing the powder fouling.
Just place a recently fired case in the bore cleaner for the two weeks, then wipe off the inside of the casing, or a peice of bullet lead if you want to test for lead removal effectivness.

Now some of you are thinking, if it etches copper, what will it do to my barrel.
Again, just test it with a peice of steel for the two weeks.

Hmmmm ?
I wonder how well WD-40 will fair on these tests ?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Effective BORE CLEANERS

Master at Arms

Very practical method. Let me try it with Hoppes #9, Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber, Brunox Turbo Spray and good old WD-40. An important factor to be considered in such a test is the price of that product viz-a-viz its effectiveness as fouling cleaner.

Solvents, in my view, should not be considered in isolation. It is also to be seen in combination with a particular type of cleaning material (brush, swabs etc). eg, WD40 used with a brass brush or Hoppes #9 used with a plastic brush or say BC Bore Scrubber used without a brush, ie, cleaning with swabs only. We can make any number of combinations using various solvents and cleaning materials. Lets see how effective (both from cost as well as cleaning point of view) these combinations are.

@LAGS
What is the idea behind keeping them soaked for two weeks? A solvent can never be applied in a barrel / bore for that much time. Won't it be more practical to see its effect in few hours, ie, the time for which it will actually be working on a bore during our cleaning sessions.

Profile E-mail  

@ KBW:
I think what LAGS want to do is exaggerate the effects for clear understanding of the ability of different solvents against different materials! :D

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

Thanks LAGS for sharing this method.

While reading, the following points as mentioned by KBW also arose in my mind:

1) Why two week?

2) The cleaning tool (brush/swab) factor at play?

3) The cost factor?

I'll try it with Brunox Turbo Spray, WD 40 and Hoppes 9 powder solvent. But for how long? Two weeks?

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

The whole POINT of testing the cleaners is to SEE what EFFECT the CLEANER Has on materials it is SUPPOSED TO REMOVE.
Most of the particles you want to remove from your gun are Microscopic.
You do not have the tools to SEE the Imediate effects.
So we let TIME and Isolation from outside factors be our tool to ramp up the Visual Effects.

If a cleaner wont effect the material it is supposed to be removing, then the Brushes or patches are doing ALL the work.
But if the cleaner has even a Minor or Prolonged effect, then it ADDs to the tools like the brushes or patches.

Try scrubbing your floor with straight water.
Then try it with adding a little soap.
The effect in cleaning a gun is proportionate to the material or tools used, same as it would be for your floor.

Profile E-mail