THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:58 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: Any Hazards of too much Lubrication?

TGF Expert Panel

1. I was firing my CZ999 pistol a few weeks ago, and noticed a lot of gun lubricating oil dripping out of the sides after i had fired a few rounds. I realized that this was too much lubrication. A colleague confirmed it.

2. A few days after above, I was firing my CZ999 pistol lubricated this time with gun grease. Again after a few shots, I could see grease flowing (sort of) out of the side of the slide. Also, to my surprise, I could see grease on mag lips(the next bullet actually acquired some of it too), and the close by parts of frame aroud the extractor/ejector.

I would like to know (besides the optimum lubrication for both lubriacting agents) the possible problems one could face because of above situations, if any?

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

Post subject: Re: Any Hazards of too much Lubrication?

Marksman

I guess too much oil can seep into you mag and may damage your primer as oil has solvent properties! thus causing duds!!

Also excessive oil in the barrel is more dangerous as oil acts as a buffer to the passing bullet! too much excessive pressure build up may cause the barrel to give way and thus bulging may occur!!

Profile E-mail  

Saif bro please avoid oil or grease getting into or onto the magazine at all costs.

Too much lubrication will seep into the magazine and the trigger mechanism, which is not advised. Plus if you have a polymer frame handgun, petrochemical based lubricants might damage the frame as well.

A drop each at the front and rear of the slide rails should suffice. People also recommend using a soft brush to apply a very thin layer of lubricants to the handgun.

Profile E-mail  

Phoenix wrote:
I guess too much oil can seep into you mag and may damage your primer as oil has solvent properties! thus causing duds!!

Also excessive oil in the barrel is more dangerous as oil acts as a buffer to the passing bullet! too much excessive pressure build up may cause the barrel to give way and thus bulging may occur!!

and that too!!! :D

P.S. Phoenix bro, good one! you posted as I was writing my reply ;)

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

All friction areas in the gun should be oiled but not so much that it starts dripping. I use a soft brush to put a thin layer of oil at the required places. :ugeek:

Profile E-mail  

There are experts who prefer high stress parts greased than oiled! Like the swinging link in the TT type pistols and the base of the slide which comes in contact with the hammer! :)

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

Mangloo Ramzani wrote:
There are experts who prefer high stress parts greased than oiled! ...

I was going to make that point too. You might want to try using some type of grease as opposed to the lighter viscosity oils.

I own a Zastava EZ9 which I believe is basically the same as the CZ999. I slop that thing up with oil before I shoot it and I haven't run into any problems so far. One of the issues about over-lubrication is that it will get all over the internals of your gun and then get contaminated with dirt/firing debris and eventually cause damage. The Zastava is a fairly easy gun to clean up so I personally don't worry about it too much.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

johnfritz wrote:
I own a Zastava EZ9 which I believe is basically the same as the CZ999.

Thats very nice. We would love to have your input about the performance of EZ9 in the CZ999 Review. In fact, this model of Zastava is not available in Pakistan but I believe there is hardly any difference apparently between the two guns. I am not sure about the performance of EZ9 but assume that it would more or less be the same.

I would request you to go through the review of CZ999 and point out if there are any differences in mechanics or performance of the two guns. The link to the thread is as follows;

viewtopic.php?p=982#p982

regards :)

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

I don't know how many here have the same conditions as I have in Alaska - but too much grease/oil can gum up in extreme cold and cause all sorts of trouble. I use a synthetic grease that is rated to -100 F as our local temperatures can be as low as -75 F (roughly -60 C)

Also, too much acts as a dust/dirt/sand magnet

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

William, good point. I forgot about the viscosity issue. It gets cold in PA in the middle of winter but nothing like as far up north as you are.

KBW, I will try and remember to add my two cents to that nice CZ999 review. I've only put about fifty rounds through my EZ thus far, when I get some more time in on the trigger then I will do some writing.

Actually, that review is what led me to this website! So now I have a forum in Pakistan and a forum in Serbia that I participate in. Good stuff. :D

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

William wrote:
I don't know how many here have the same conditions as I have in Alaska - but too much grease/oil can gum up in extreme cold and cause all sorts of trouble. I use a synthetic grease that is rated to -100 F as our local temperatures can be as low as -75 F (roughly -60 C)

Also, too much acts as a dust/dirt/sand magnet

Valid point. We face the same problem in our Northern Areas which are not as cold as Alaska but there also, the temperature goes down to -15 C. Even in Quetta, it goes down as low as -10 in winters. One has to choosy about the lubricants in that area. :)

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

Accumuation of dust over the period of time which not only jam the moving parts but can also act like abrasive to ruin the critical weapon parts.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

I have a question.
Will too much lubricating oil on a barrel hinder its cool off between long firing sessions in any way ? :text-feedback:

Profile E-mail  

@ Shariq:
Do you mean outside the barrel or inside?!? :D

I cant say about cool off time, but too much of oil will spray around during firing, I guess!!!

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Mangloo Ramzani wrote:
I cant say about cool off time, but too much of oil will spray around during firing, I guess!!!

You got that right. I have lost many shirts and T-shirts because of the oil stains which occur after the first shot. Thanks to Saif I now use grease for lubrication. No such issues with grease.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

The good thing with grease is that unlike oil, it stays, can last multiple sessions, long ones too..

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

TGF Managing Committee

I have started greasing my handgun, but am still a die hard fan of running a fine layer of gun oil inside and outside the barrel, but that's just enough to drive away moisture. Never faced issues while firing...

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

Furrukh wrote:
I have started greasing my handgun, but am still a die hard fan of running a fine layer of gun oil inside and outside the barrel, but that's just enough to drive away moisture. Never faced issues while firing...
If the barrel is oiled from inside than do you clean the barrel before shooting?

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Got a spray can of white Lithium grease, very easy application, no over greasing of any sort.

Have been cautious about applying it to guns of regular use, only lubing the stored ones.

Wonder if seniors have experience with Lithium grease, any danger, when applied to parts that build up heat, KBW Sir?

It's a wonderful, manageable white substance, greasing just enough.

Regards.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

I agree. Can is very convenient to use and the grease does a good job of lubrication.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

MythBuster wrote:
Furrukh wrote:
If the barrel is oiled from inside than do you clean the barrel before shooting?

No, because my intervals between each range visit is around 2-3 weeks and by that time 70 percent of the oil is gone.. Also I apply a very fine layer of oil.....

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

Here are some informations I found on gun lubrication that could answer some of your concerns:

Lithium grease will do decent lubrication job. Garand recommends lubrication interval of one year or 1000 rounds for their M1 using Mobil 1 synthetic grease (lithium based). Their lubrication guide provides good information on which surfaces to grease and to oil, and how to apply grease. See link below:

http://www.garandgear.com/how-to-grease-your-m1-garand

Aluminium based grease provides better lubrication and most important better resistance to corrosion. Food grade products are best rated as Lubriplate SFL #0 NLGI.
See link to Grant Cunningham blog for complete story:

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

Oil or grease splashes are symptoms of over application.

The barrel inside should be wiped dry after oil application. Use oil with good corrosion protection properties. Presence of foreing material, as oil, water, dirt.. will lead to increased barrel pressure, and possibly barel deformation or explosion.

Make shure not to use any oil or grease that contains chlorine ingredients in your guns as they promote cracks. Some gun oils still contains some. Refer to Grant Cunningham blog.

Frequency of maintenance and condition of use have to be considered; if you clean and oil your gun every week after shooting 50 rounds and you store your gun in a dry and clean place almost any oil will do the job.

Profile E-mail