THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:03 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hand Gun Lubrication: Grease or Oil? Why?

TGF Expert Panel

I Usually Use Grease when I Reassemble the parts that I "NORMALLY" Do NOT take apart durring a Average cleaning at the range.
Like the trigger group parts and Hammer group
That way I am sure they have protection from wear and rust until I do a full DCOR.
The only thing I lightly grease on a normal field Strip cleaning is the Slide rails on a Semi auto pistol, but normal oiling on these parts works fine.
I use a Normal Automotive Chassis or wheel bearing grease that is of the Moly or graphite type.
But really any of them works just fine as long as it isnt a Real Heavy Hard Fiberous type.
For oil,
Any Gun Oil or Sewing machine oil works just fine.
But if you intend to pack your firearms away for LONG periods of time.
I grease up all the metal parts, or use a Heavier Motor oil because it wont disipate as fast.
But your gun WILL require a FULL cleaning before being shot again.

Profile E-mail  

Regional Ambassador - Sargodha Chapter

I have got this Graphite Grease recently,
So i need some opinion about this before use.

Regards.

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

I have an old tube of the same brand (Gunslick) and use it quite regularly on the rails, never had a problem. You need less than you think. I have tried several kinds of high-tech and low-tech greases, and never noticed a difference. I think that for ordinary use, anything short of animal fat will do - the only real difference is between something and nothing.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

@ MianJee
Why do you need someone elses opinion ?
It is Made for firearms, and that type has been used for 50 years.
In fact I have some in a tube that came in my shotgun cleaning kit that I bought 40 years ago, And I still use it.

The graphite grease is basicly the same as what you would buy for using on car wheel bearings or suspension lubrication.
They just put it in a smaller tube, so it fits into your cleaning kit, and is more convenient to use.

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

I found following article very informative

http://grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

As per the author

General Rule of Lubrication: oil for rotating parts, grease for sliding parts that carry a load like Slide rails, bolt carriers, and sears - especially double-action sears.
Aluminium based greases are best though rare & expensive. in lubes he suggests Dexron-type Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF).

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

I was not replying to this thread in detail as I only had experience of lubricating my firearm with oil. I borrowed a small amount of grease from a friend post my last range visit and decided to apply grease during the gun strip off session. The following are my experiences using both kinds of lubricants:

Oil:1.
1. Easy to apply and spread over the slide internals, barrel internals, trigger mechanism and over the barrel external
2. Oil retention is a major disadvantage. Racking will be very smooth post gun oil application but racking will start to become rough in a week or so. Now one can not constantly oil the slides every week.....

Grease
1. Since it is very thick and lumpy application in fine places like the slide internals and trigger mechanism get very messy and challenging and took me twice the time to lubricate when compared to gun oil. Planning on purchasing a small grease gun to ease the hassle of application.
2. Can not comment on the retention yet as it's been only a couple of days since my last grease application. Will update this post after a week's time

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Grease will stay for as long as it does not oxidize into rubbery material, and it will still stay on...Good quality greases will last over a year at least before they oxidizes.

Oil will stay for about a week to upto 3 weeks, depending on viscosity and penetration/vaporization properties. If you oil your carry gun, make sure to check every third or fourth day on the slide rails. Sometimes, oil just 'goes away' without trace, and topping may be required.

For trigger and sear area (springs), oil is recommended. Grease will just not penetrate/travel in. For slide and frame rails, definitely grease in weapons such as Sig, Beretta, CZ, 1911 etc. For polymer weapons with few contact points, I would still prefer grease in the slide/frame rails, but a quality oil with low penetration/vaporization is good enough.

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

Master at Arms

Few months back myself and THI opened up and old revolver that was manufactured in 1940. When we opened the grips, we were amazed to see that original grease was still intact in the trigger mechanism / springs and surprisingly, was still retaining its original colour in most places. This grease was applied 72 years ago. A top quality grease will last for a very long time.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

@ Furrukh
If you want to apply small amounts of grease with out the mess.
Put your Grease in a Small Zip Lock plastic bag.
Just cut off the very TIP of one of the bottom corners.
Now you can squeese out what you want, and where you want without it getting all over your hands.

It works like a Cake Decorating Funnel.
And Yes, I have used a Large plastic bag to decorate Cakes and Pastries.

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

I've seen Saif using a large syringe for applying grease very effectively and neatly.

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

@ SA
It is funny that you mention the syringe.
I used the plastic bag method to Fill My syringe.

I hadnt mentioned the Syringe, as to many places they are not easily available.
But everyone can find a plastic bag.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

What kind / size of medical syringe are we talking about here ? I am aware that grease guns are also available, are they any good ?

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Any size syringe will work.
I have smaller ones, and a larger one.
But I just use what is at hand at the time I find the need to improvise to get my needs met and the job done.
Think OUTSIDE the BOX

For the Most Part, a Grease gun is just too big to be usefull in gunwork.
And the ones that are small enough, are to expensive, especially when you have MUCH cheaper options like a syringe or a plastic bag.
Dont waste your time looking for the " Perfect Tool "
Spend your time working with what you can get right now to complete the job.
You will be suprised that it makes no differance, using improvised tools

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

@ Larry:

Thanks a lot. Pictures are the best way of getting the point across. Speaking of using improvised tools I used my wife's hair clip to apply the grease within the slides. These hair clips are sharp at the edges, and I dipped the front sharp end of the hair clip in the grease can and the pointed front part enabled me to reach narrow / fine places. Lol !!

I liked your plastic bag idea, but using the plastic bag to transfer the grease to the syringe and then using the syringe to apply the grease are just too many steps for me. I am still thinking and will be doing more experiments over the weekend :-) Any other ideas which you have to easily transfer the grease into the syringe ? Wonder if the grease can simply be sucked in by the syringe, hmmmm

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

You can try sucking the grease into the Syringe, but it is kind of thick, or at least the Automotive Graphite Grease I use is.
Stop looking for Shortcuts all the time.
It is a Once a YEAR thing that you will do.
And working thru different ways of doing things, Stimulates your mind and you come up with BETTER IDEAS.
How do you think I come up with this crap all the time.
I am willing to take the extra steps, and if it doesnt work, or I think of a better way , then I switch my methods.
If I sat around and thought things all the way thru every time, I would Never get anything DONE.

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

Furrukh wrote:
I liked your plastic bag idea, but using the plastic bag to transfer the grease to the syringe and then using the syringe to apply the grease are just too many steps for me.

A syringe full of grease will last you a long time :) It's not that you'd be filling the syringe every time you clean a gun.

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

SA wrote:
Furrukh wrote:
I liked your plastic bag idea, but using the plastic bag to transfer the grease to the syringe and then using the syringe to apply the grease are just too many steps for me.

A syringe full of grease will last you a long time :) It's not that you'd be filling the syringe every time you clean a gun.

:angry-banghead: Never thought of that as I was just keeping the initial time in mind.

Profile E-mail  

The syringe is a wonderful idea. Last time I applied grease my putting some of it on a matchstick. But the syringe I guess is a good idea.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

@ 6S

We were thinking on similar lines ;-)

Profile E-mail  

Regional Ambassador - Islamabad Chapter

I am currently using three things. Eds red, Ballistol and MolyKote G-RAPID PLUS PASTE.

"If you are good at something, dont do it for free.." Joker.

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

I just received an order of the products recommended by Grant Cunningham, Lubriplate FMO 350AW and 200AW oil and Lubriplate SFL#0 NLGI and #000 NLGI. The Lubriplate FMO 350AW comes in 14 oz spray can.
After a first use it seems to meet the performance described in his article( clear, no odor, non washable). I will have to get more shooting experience to asses the required lubrication period.

For grease application, I use cheap painter brushes size #00 and small makeup brushes. To my experience, I found brushes easier to use than special grease applicators, and these brushes last forever and are cheap. I also used plastic makeup sets, they are handy to carry small amount of grease and brushes.

Garand recommends Mobil 1 synthetic grease for their M1 gun. This grease is not expensive, is readily available but can stain. With this grease they recommend lubrication evrey year or 1000 rounds. The lubrication instructions they provide are quite complete and are usefull to understand which surfaces need to be lubricated and how much grease and oil to apply to your own gun. See the link below:

http://www.garandgear.com/how-to-grease-your-m1-garand

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Most any automotive grease works well on guns as does motor oil.
But be carefull using transmission fluid for automatic transmissions.
It is very high detergent based, which is good, but also contains rust inhibitors that can over time remove your bluing.

But transmission fluid makes an excellent Honing oil for sharpening knives with Oil Stones.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

@targetfan
Nice tip about the make up kit. Thanks for sharing.

@ LAGS
now that info regarding transmission oil is very important.

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

Standard Shot

IMHO mobil1 easily available on Auto oil stores is the best solution for lubrication of all kinds of gun,i never used grease or any kind of oil except mobil 1,if that is not available {Singer machine oil} is the 2nd option that is not the bad option for time being

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

sadatpkn wrote:
IMHO mobil1 easily available on Auto oil stores is the best solution for lubrication of all kinds of gun,i never used grease or any kind of oil except mobil 1,if that is not available {Singer machine oil} is the 2nd option that is not the bad option for time being

Singer machine oil , is lowest grade of oil available for lubrication and which is recycled so not a good thing to apply it will hardly last few days maybe less ..

I simply use a thin paint brush to apply lithium grease on my hand gun and have it found it better then oiling it , graphite grease pictured above was around Rs.600 to Rs.800 last time i saw

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next