THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:50 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: Hand Gun Lubrication: Grease or Oil? Why?

TGF Expert Panel

I am confused at what product to proceed with. There are so many options on the net, which if one decides to reasearch, ends up asking: which one to proceed with?

Should it be an oil or grease based product? Why is one better than the other?

What makes one lubricating oil superior to the other lubricating oil product?

I have read about Ed's Red. Any comments on that?

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

Post subject: Re: Hand Gun Lubrication: Grease or Oil? Why?

Site Admin

Very useful topic Saif sb.

While the experts will enlighten us with their experienced views, I'll just share my practice of using Hoppe's 9 gun lubricant for lubricating important points inside the gun. Haven't used grease yet.

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Regional Ambassador - Islamabad Chapter

Well, topics like these never come to a conclusion. But according to my research if you have the following three items you can make the best lubrication for your gun.

Break free CLP (Dunno if it is available here)
Pure Molybdenum disulfide powder (Maybe available with a bit of research)
Molybdenum disulfide grease (Most probably available)

Break free for general purpose cleaning as it leaves a layer of PTFE which covers the microscopic blemishes created due to the tooling of the firearm.

Pure Molybdenum disulfide powder is known to work wonders in the trigger group area.

Molybdenum disulfide grease in the slide to frame contact area.

All these things basicly start filling the microscopic gaps within surface to surface contact. with eventual use friction will decrease and make your firearm more smooth.

Just my own personal conclusion, maybe more senior members have better options available.

"If you are good at something, dont do it for free.." Joker.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Rotorcrafts bro,
Nice input. Can you please let me know where can one get Molybdenum disulphide grease? And what brand? Same for the powder if you get to know a source :)

Yes such discussions do not usually end up without a concrete conclusion. The point is, atleast we get to know each others opinion, learn from that and move on. In the process, either we agree, or as usual, agree to disagree.
However, the importance of proper and optimum lubrication cannot be discounted and I for one, would like to learn from the advise and input of all members :)

Regional Ambassador - Islamabad Chapter

I will surely let you guys know from where this type of grease can be found as soon as i find it for my self :D

"If you are good at something, dont do it for free.." Joker.

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Interesting topic, and I've used and still am using both types.

Let me be brief, in lubrication oil, nothing surpasses the Hoppes No.9, one outstanding and long lasting product indeed, and the best trademark around as well.

As for grease, I've only recently started applying a very nice form of substance, snow-white in color, so no black streaks of grease on your gun after firing. Shall post a pic soon, and got hold of it from Lahore, in fact a dear friend, called "Bond", got it for me when I was in Lahore last.

The benefits of grease vs oil is that I've found the first to be the longer lasting kind of lubrication! Yes! And I really enjoy applying it to the channels of the frame and slide with a special brush in the OTIS kit.

A friend told me that with an oil lubricated gun, he had fired extensively, with the satisfaction that his gun was well greased, yet at field-stripping same gun post-session, he was actually pretty shocked to see that the gun was kind of "dry", really! :shock:

Thus, it's my opinion, that for regular and routine lubrication, with no firing, or rare firing, and less firing, oils will do well, yet if you have a habit of not field-stripping your gun before several hundreds of fires, the grease would do you a better service, trust me.

Furthermore, the "spitting" effect of oils, after firing, is not visible with the grease, it stays inside, doesn't give your gun that "oily" kind of looks after use.

Let me further say, don't trust those brands stating that they're 3-in-one kind of things, with lubrication added as one feature of the product, like the Brunox. Though it's one excellent item, you just can't rely on it's lubricating quality at all, it will dry-up/evaporate soon, causing metallic frictions between the internals of your gun.

Shall see if I could come across some quality grease. :)

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Thank you AK sb for your informative feedback.
I also agree that for a long shooting session, grease due to its staying properties (compared to oil) should be the selected lubricant for slide/frame.

AK47 wrote:

The benefits of grease vs oil is that I've found the first to be the longer lasting kind of lubrication! Yes! And I really enjoy applying it to the channels of the frame and slide with a special brush in the OTIS kit.

A friend told me that with an oil lubricated gun, he had fired extensively, with the satisfaction that his gun was well greased, yet at field-stripping same gun post-session, he was actually pretty shocked to see that the gun was kind of "dry", really! :shock:

Thus, it's my opinion, that for regular and routine lubrication, with no firing, or rare firing, and less firing, oils will do well, yet if you have a habit of not field-stripping your gun before several hundreds of fires, the grease would do you a better service, trust me.

EDIT

@KBW sb, I believe you shoot with your weapons quite a lot more than most of us here. What is your observation regarding staying properties of oil after a long session of say, 75-100 rounds or so?

Master at Arms

Let me add my .02
I use 12Gauge lube and even firing more than 400 rounds in a day ( Practice for Inter Base )
i did not find my G17 dry. Maybe it was due to the fact that there are not many metal to metal contact point but i presume any quality lube is fine for 2 or 3 range sessions even.
Will wait for KBW expert opinion.

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Saif wrote:
Thank you AK sb for your informative feedback.
I also agree that for a long shooting session, grease due to its staying properties (compared to oil) should be the selected lubricant for slide/frame.

AK47 wrote:

EDIT

@KBW sb, I believe you shoot with your weapons quite a lot more than most of us here. What is your observation regarding staying properties of oil after a long session of say, 75-100 rounds or so?

@Saif........75-100 fires is no long session bro. With long is actually meant several hundreds of fires, even if distributed over several sessions.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Saif wrote:

@Ghazi sb & KBW sb,
Sirs waiting feedback on above.

Master at Arms

Saif sahib, a good quality oil stays at 75-100 rounds. However, there would always be fouling in chamber, firing pin areas and on the slide portions around chamber / firing pin block which would necessitate cleaning of the gun. During cleaning, most of us use solvents which, apart from cleaning the gun parts, remove the oil as well. One may therefore, re-apply oil on the moving parts after the gun has been thoroughly cleaned with a solvent.

Grease lasts more than the oil.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Sir,
does that mean that cleaning of internals is necessary after 75-100 rounds due to fouling?

Master at Arms

Yes, the barrel, the chamber, feed ramp, extractor and area around it, slide ways where it gets in contact with the frame, place below the feed ramp which is part of frame and magazine follower should be cleaned. All these places would have gunpowder fouling of varying degrees :)

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Sir is it necessary to clean immediately after every shooting session or we can wait for some time. What do you recommend?

Profile E-mail  

If you pull a tight dry patch right after the session, it will do the job!

But if we wait, the propellant deposits will stick to the chamber and the barrel. In that case, we will need to run patches with cleaning solvents and maybe a copper/brass brush and then a patch with solvent on it. Then keep on pulling patches till the one which comes out clean! ;)

Also when using a copper/brass brush, twist the cleaning rod while the brush is still in the chamber. It will loosen the deposits in the corners of the chamber. Next patch with solvent on it will carry all the loose dirt out!

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Shariq wrote:
Sir is it necessary to clean immediately after every shooting session or we can wait for some time. What do you recommend?

Sir, doing it right after session is easiest, coz barrel is still temper and deposits have not fully glued on.

I personally do this:

1) Keep a spray bottle Brunox with me, the smaller can.

2) As soon as I am done with one gun and knowing that I won't fire anymore with it, instantly spray the barrel with the Brunox, and leave it there.

3)Then continue firing with the next gun, and repeat above, till all guns fired.

Finally, I clean all the barrels with patches, starting from the first gun used.

Trust me, it leaves absolutely nothing in there, since the agent/cleaner gets enough of time to dissolve the residue and cleaning is very easy in fact.

I know, some of you may raise eyebrows over the Brunox, yet if you use it like above, you really wouldn't need any copper solvent/special solvent at all.

Regards.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

AK47 wrote:
Shariq wrote:
I know, some of you may raise eyebrows over the Brunox, yet if you use it like above, you really wouldn't need any copper solvent/special solvent at all.

AK sahib, those handguns that fire thousands of rounds get a little nasty and have to tamed with something hard like a copper brush at times ;)

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

@KBW Sahib.............Oh sure Sir, that applies to your's and Shariq Sir's, no doubts. Amateurs like us, only have occasional fun, and that too with stiff neck, commando action! ;) :lol:

Btw, thanks for your precious advices of last time, can't wait till getting out shooting again! :)

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

You are always welcome Sir :)

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

Grease is usually used when you intend to store your weapon for longer periods. Grease is not at all recommended for weapons which are in frequent use as it can spoil the weapon by attracting dust & sand particles. A good quality oil like Browning, Beretta, Hoppes etc is recommended in less quantity after every use.

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

I use a synthetic grease on my automatics anywhere that metal rubs metal. I can tell a real difference in how the gun performs since switching from oil alone. Also, I find that the grease does not attract any worse than gun oil if used in proper amounts. It takes very little grease - I usually use swabs to apply it to the rails and a bit goes along way.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

William wrote:
I use a synthetic grease on my automatics anywhere that metal rubs metal. I can tell a real difference in how the gun performs since switching from oil alone. Also, I find that the grease does not attract any worse than gun oil if used in proper amounts. It takes very little grease - I usually use swabs to apply it to the rails and a bit goes along way.

I agree that grease in the right amounts (a very fine film) goes a long way. I shot 80+ rounds with CZ shadow in a session, and the grease was still there, literally 'untouched' and in just the right amount (a fine uniform film) to start a new session.

Newly Registered User

Frm my experience with shotguns a combination of grease and oil worked best for me.
I use moly grease on any sliding surface inside a shotgun etc. And a hybrid of eds red oil mix.
I store my guns outside in a shed where they are more exposed to temp. Fluctuation. Never had a problem with the ed's red not working in the barrel or with the molygrease.

My hybrid ed's red is

Basically the same but with fish oil instead of lanolin and turps instead of the blue chemical
This has worked for me in temperate / sub desert conditions. Just shake ver well!)

Other good brands are hoppes.
H

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Now that's a good recipe, grease and oil mixed. I will give it a try. Thanks for the input and welcome to TGF, Revolverbloke1 :greetings-waveyellow:

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Revolverbloke1
Welcome to TGF :greetings-waveyellow:
I'll give your recipe a try. Sounds good.

Profile E-mail