THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:08 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: Mysterious scar in the bore of the rifle

Standard Shot

i belong to the area which comprises of the arid zone also. the last summers torrential rains played havoc with our area. it was a complete devastation . the calamity hit the humans and wild alike . i saw wild bores crossing just near the human dwellings and relief camps silently. but neither of them paid any heed to each other . i was even told by some people who remained stranded at tree tops for several days that they saw snakes lurking nearby , but it seems that they forgot to sting. each species was thinking to save its life.
after the rain stopped and severity of situation mitigated a bit, millions of insects appeared from no where which were never known to us . it was just as the aftershocks after the quake has jolted the earth and every body knows that after shocks are deadlier than the earthquake itself.
during those days one mysterious problem started to bother the gun owners of my area . they suddenly come to know about the presence of an ugly scar inside the barrels of their weapons, specially rifles. i saw a few of the rifles myself. the scar was really really ugly looking. the barrels were ruined. not worth keeping by any serious gun enthusiast any more . there were many speculations . some were attributing it it to the excessive humidity , some one was holding his son responsible for less care of the gun and other was holding faulty material in gun making as a culprit and was blaming the dealer to supply him a darra made rifle but i was not satisfied as the guns were different but the problem was same . i thought a lot but the mystery would not solve.
Though I was away from my area and busy with my job but I was constantly in touch with my people and when ever I find a room, I rushed to my village and on each and every trip I asked about the matter but there was no remedy even the scattered cases were reported. People were frustrated on loosing their weapons in this way.
Few days back I got some days space to live at my native village . I took my German made rifle and field stripped it with a view to clean it. I use to clean my weapons even they do not need it as it is my favorite time pass and I enjoy it thoroughly . as usual , I took the barrel and tried to peep through it just to see the condition of the barrel and chrome but couldn’t see through completely . it was partially choked . I was shocked to see the barrel of my gun chocked in this way. I tried to open it by using WD 40 but it didn’t work, some thing was badly stuck inside the barrel. I tried a thin and soft plastic rod to remove the obstruction. Slowly the rod penetrated the obstruction and than there it came down barrel . it was a tiny nest of some small hornet like insect made from mud containing its tiny larva hardly visible .. the culprit which ruin many fine guns in our area was trapped . the owners fired the guns without knowing that there is insects nest made of mud containing the larva in the barrel. that insect was not known in this area before thus no body could ever think any insect nesting in the bore of a rifle . I told the news to every person I know in my area and advised then to cap the barrels of their guns with appropriate covers and caps. If some body don’t have any thing suitable , the filter of a new cigarette would work .
It is always good to follow the gun safety rules and one of them is to ascertain and see that the barrel/ bore of ur gun is free from each and every obstruction , before u fire ur weapon

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: mysterious scar in the bore of the rifle

Master at Arms

All the more reason to invest in a gun cover.
Thanks for the detailed share and very warm welcome to TGF. Hope to learn from your experiences.

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

Bhali Karey Aya (welcome) Zain Bhai , looking forward to learn from your vast experience .

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

I have seen many times over the years, mostly in Military Surplus rifles that were subject to long term storage.
Where Mud Dobber Wasps have built nests in the barrels of rifles.
The moisture of the nest causes a mark in the rifling of the bore.
But unless it was in there for a really long period of time, it just is a Stain or a spot that has Blued similar to slow rust bluing.
If the bore is not severly pitted, the bore can be cleaned and the rust stopped by Boiling the barrel in distilled water, and then cleaning it with a wire bore brush, and then drying it and properly oiling the bore.

The rifling can also be polished a bit, by using a SNUG fitting cloth patch and Chrome or Metal Polish.
You have to run the patch in LONG strokes thru the barrel. and let the patch follow the twist of the rifling.

You will not be able to polish out PITTING, but you can polish it enough to keep the barrel servicable.

Last edited by LAGS on Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

Thanks for sharing this problem with us Zain and welcome to The Gun Forum.

We hope you found the advise of our Expert Panel member "LAGS" useful.

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Welcome to TGF Zain. Very informative post. I have seen the military guys using plastic caps on their rifles.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Something as simple as a piece of plastic and a rubber band will keep rain , dirt and bugs out of your barrel when either in the field or in storage.
You can also take a shot thru the plastic, if it is still on your barrel and you spot your game while hunting.
My friends in the military used condoms and a rubber band in Viet Nam to keep the mud out of the bore, and the sand out in Desert Storm, and Iraq.

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Yes, the condom trick works. Salt water HATES metal, we in the Navy used anything we could think of to save bores, which is where you see the tompkin idea - the big covers over large naval gun barrels.
Wasps in my rifle barrel? I hate wasps - does wasp spray hurt steel? I'd douse it and run.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

@ Armoredman
Just dont shoot any gun with a bore large enough for a Bee to get inside.
I Know how much you hate Bees also

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Very useful input Zain sahib and very warm welcome to TGF :greetings-waveyellow:

Boiling the guns in the distilled water is the answer, as advised by LAGS. Another thing you can advise people in your area is regular cleaning, even if the rifle has not fired. I would suggest a weekly inspection and cleaning of the rifle till the time breeding season of this wasp is on.

Hope to see you participating more on the forum :)

Profile E-mail  

LAGS wrote:
My friends in the military used condoms and a rubber band in Viet Nam to keep the mud out of the bore, and the sand out in Desert Storm, and Iraq.

Another great use of the CONDOM :laughing-rolling: The monthly shopping bill just went up by a few Rs.

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

LAGS wrote:
I have seen many times over the years, mostly in Military Surplus rifles that were subject to long term storage.
Where Mud Dobber Wasps have built nests in the barrels of rifles.
The moisture of the nest causes a mark in the rifling of the bore.
But unless it was in there for a really long period of time, it just is a Stain or a spot that has Blued similar to slow rust bluing.
If the bore is not severly pitted, the bore can be cleaned and the rust stopped by Boiling the barrel in distilled water, and then cleaning it with a wire bore brush, and then drying it and properly oiling the bore.

The rifling can also be polished a bit, by using a SNUG fitting cloth patch and Chrome or Metal Polish.
You have to run the patch in LONG strokes thru the barrel. and let the patch follow the twist of the rifling.

You will not be able to polish out PITTING, but you can polish it enough to keep the barrel servicable.

thanks all of u respected members SA, KBW , sharique and Osama with Gulabi sindhi greeting. six shooter i am grateful for ur warm welcome . . in fect wat i feel is that i my gun was saved as i came to know about the insect nest made of dried mud,prior to fire the weapon. none out of all of them who got their guns damaged had thought to see the barrel before they fire their guns. i think some chemical action/re-action happened as the nest would have burnt on extreme temperature and every one knows that mud ( dry or even wet) if exposed to extreme temperature , transforms in to clay( as happens in brick clan) . the exposure of mud made insect net to the extreme temperature , the congested space of a bore , and all that happening in presence of friction of projectile , the intensively compressed gasses between grooves and lands of chrome lined steel and mud nest was the reason of the scar caused to the shining / chrome lining of barrel

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Mysterious scar in the bore of the rifle

TGF Expert Panel

If they fired the guns with out having the nest cleaned out first, then what you may be seeing is actually a internal Buldge in the barrel. VERY BAD
The bullet goes down the barrel compressing the gas and sence it cant move forward because of the restriction, it can and WILL buldge the barrel where you will not be able to feel it on the outside of the barrel.

What an internal buldge does, and why it is dangerous.
When fired.
The bullet starts going down the barrel.
When it hits the buldged spot, the bullet doesnt fit as tight as the bullet jumps the circular canyon of sorts.
Then in a milisecond it is back into the tight rifling.
This slows the bullet down abruptly, causing thee gas pressure to climb.
It acts the same as if you had a rust spot in your bore, or the barrel is still partially plugged.

You can check for an internal Buldged barrel by , Running a tight fitting patch on a cleaning rod thru the bore.
If it jumps or skips in the area of the scar or mark, then you have a buldge.
Also , when you look down the bore, the scar looks like a ring in the inside of the barrel.

Profile E-mail