THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:02 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: Re: How to really, really clean pistol barrel?

TGF Managing Committee

AK47 wrote:
Furrukh wrote:
AK47 wrote:
I usually spray the barrel with Brunox, almost instantly after last round. Put the gun in a leak proof plastic bag and then into the box. The bag secures that my box foam doesn't get oiled up.

Back home later, sometimes hours later, the brunox has already done it's job well, and I use a nylon brush to loosen up everything.

Then a couple of dry swabs to get the dirt out. Another spray with brunox, another two swabs. When last swab comes out clean, I mop it once with a bore mop, then I again spray a bit of brunox on the final, clean swab and run it through the barrel to give it the protecting layer of the CLP.

As for copper solvents, I use Hoppe's No 9, once in a while.

For the rest of the gun, lubing is done with Hoppe's gun oil.

Regards.

How many bottles of brunox do you go through in a month AK bhai ? :) Why do you use Brunox rather than Hoppes Oil to apply a final layer protection ?

Well, I've used Hoppe's oil for the final lubrication of the barrel and still do use it occasionally for this purpose, but I feel brunox - being an all- rounder CLP - gives the barrel the kind of protective "film" better than the Hoppe's, and I deem the Hoppe's N0.9 orange bottle of oil more suitable for mechanical parts than for a non-mechanical barrel.

The mechanical parts get their drop of Hoppe's always.

Moreover, I do not like my barrel to be overly oiled up, just a protective barrier of the Brunox is enough, and bear in mind also that too much oil inside the barrel can have the tendency to heat it up also when in use.

Whether you use your guns frequently enough or not, the thin filmy layer of Brunox CLP is enough to do the protection, if you do maintain it regularly.

I usually open up the boxes once every 2-3 weeks - when not in use - and run through a semi-wet cloth of brunox or a pre-soaked wet tissue Birchwood Casey rust protector through the barrel.

As for the Brunox, I was surprised recently to find the prices over here going up from Rs. 600 for big can to Rs. 1200!! :angry-banghead:

Regards. :)

When I purchased my PT 99 last year I purchased the big bottle of Brunox for 500 Rs. Now in 2012 after much argument I get the same sized bottle for Rs. 1,000.

As far as the orange oil bottle is concerned, in addition to using the same for lubrication I have specially purchased Hoppes No. 9 All Weather Guard oil for the final layer in the barrel. As far as the brunox is concerned I feel that it being a spray will vapourize from the barrel with the passage of time, and the oil having a thick viscosity will be retained till the next range visit IMHO.

Plus I also apply a thin layer of the same oil on the external of the barrel before packing up my piece. My question is that can gun powder solvent be used after every range visit of lets say 50 rounds ?

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

You can use Powder Solvent as much as you like.It wont hurt the gun.

But if you are just cleaning the gun for the week before your weekly range visit, just use WD-40.
But if your gun is going to sit for a month or so, Tear it down, ( Field Strip it ) and clean it properly and oil it well.
Especially if it is wet or humid outside.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Shariq wrote:
KBW wrote:
I spray WD40 inside the barrel, give it a good rubbing with brass brush, spray again and clean it with a swab. Doesn't take more than 2 minutes.

Sir does this really, really clean pistol barrel?

Off course. What is the doubt here? :)

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

KBW wrote:
Mangloo Ramzani wrote:
Bear in mind, do not use the brass brush in the barrel like you use a tooth brush, to-and-fro motion. Just run it through a couple of times, in from the chamber side and out the muzzle end!

Correct. And primarily because frequent to and fro toothbrush like movement will wear out the brass brush too quickly. And brass brushes are a little expensive in Pakistan and sometimes, not easily available.

More importantly, because inserting a brass brush down the muzzle end will damage the CROWN.

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Furrukh wrote:
AK47 wrote:
Furrukh wrote:
AK47 wrote:
I usually spray the barrel with Brunox, almost instantly after last round. Put the gun in a leak proof plastic bag and then into the box. The bag secures that my box foam doesn't get oiled up.

Back home later, sometimes hours later, the brunox has already done it's job well, and I use a nylon brush to loosen up everything.

Then a couple of dry swabs to get the dirt out. Another spray with brunox, another two swabs. When last swab comes out clean, I mop it once with a bore mop, then I again spray a bit of brunox on the final, clean swab and run it through the barrel to give it the protecting layer of the CLP.

As for copper solvents, I use Hoppe's No 9, once in a while.

For the rest of the gun, lubing is done with Hoppe's gun oil.

Regards.

How many bottles of brunox do you go through in a month AK bhai ? :) Why do you use Brunox rather than Hoppes Oil to apply a final layer protection ?

Well, I've used Hoppe's oil for the final lubrication of the barrel and still do use it occasionally for this purpose, but I feel brunox - being an all- rounder CLP - gives the barrel the kind of protective "film" better than the Hoppe's, and I deem the Hoppe's N0.9 orange bottle of oil more suitable for mechanical parts than for a non-mechanical barrel.

The mechanical parts get their drop of Hoppe's always.

Moreover, I do not like my barrel to be overly oiled up, just a protective barrier of the Brunox is enough, and bear in mind also that too much oil inside the barrel can have the tendency to heat it up also when in use.

Whether you use your guns frequently enough or not, the thin filmy layer of Brunox CLP is enough to do the protection, if you do maintain it regularly.

I usually open up the boxes once every 2-3 weeks - when not in use - and run through a semi-wet cloth of brunox or a pre-soaked wet tissue Birchwood Casey rust protector through the barrel.

As for the Brunox, I was surprised recently to find the prices over here going up from Rs. 600 for big can to Rs. 1200!! :angry-banghead:

As far as the brunox is concerned I feel that it being a spray will vapourize from the barrel with the passage of time, and the oil having a thick viscosity will be retained till the next range visit IMHO.

That's exactly the point, "vaporize". This leaves the "film" only, hence no excesses.

May I remind, I wrote I do this on regular basis, hence every 2-3 weeks, so there's no chance of it leaving the barrel. Too much oil as I stated heats the barrel more when in use.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Just for "General Information "
Cleaning a Barrel from the " Muzzle End " will ONLY hurt the "Crown" if the cleaning rod is Rubbed against the crown of the Bore.
Revolvers Have to mostly be cleaned from the Muzzle, or trying to get a rod down the chamber end on an angle will wear on the forcing cone.
If you want to protect the Crown, Just use a Bore guide made out of an old plastic bottle, stuck just inside the end of the Bore so the rod can not hit the edges of the crown.

My Muzzle Loader is cleaned from the muzzle end, and loaded from that end Too.
If the Rod isnt rubbed on the crown, It Can Not WEAR

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

SA wrote:
KBW wrote:
Mangloo Ramzani wrote:
Bear in mind, do not use the brass brush in the barrel like you use a tooth brush, to-and-fro motion. Just run it through a couple of times, in from the chamber side and out the muzzle end!

Correct. And primarily because frequent to and fro toothbrush like movement will wear out the brass brush too quickly. And brass brushes are a little expensive in Pakistan and sometimes, not easily available.

More importantly, because inserting a brass brush down the muzzle end will damage the CROWN.

Yes, very important. I missed this point. Thanks LAGS. :)

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

The ," Do Not Clean a Gun From The Muzzle End " comes from back when the Cleaning Rods were made out of " STEEL "
Now they are Brass ar aluminum or even Plastic.
It takes a lot of rubbing for Soft metals like the rods are made out of today to seriously damage a crown.
But Just protect it with a Bore guide and you will be fine.
But it is still BEST if you clean a gun from the chamber end when possable.

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

My 2bits:

1) Spray Brunox or the like liberally in the barrel after shooting, plug with cotton wool, let lie for a day or two before cleaning.

2) Sacrifice a .22 cal wire brush to wrap cotton wool around it, makes good tight swabs for 9mm and up. After a while one learns to pick the right amount, which can go up and down without getting dislodged, but so tightly that one feels the barrel heat up with friction as one holds it in the other hand. I say sacrifice because you'll never get all the cotton out, but in fact the remains do not get in the way of cleaning a .22 bore.

Profile E-mail  

Regional Ambassador - Sargodha Chapter

I strip the gun completely, then spray WD40 all the parts including the barrel,
& then i apply a thin coat of Mobil 1 after drying all the parts with soft cotton cloth.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

@ Mian Jee: I would suggest to use Brunox expecially to clean the barell internals. Brunox contains chemical components which can easily clean off depositis from a bullet. Not sure about the chemical ingredients of WD 40 though.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Furrukh wrote:
@ Mian Jee: I would suggest to use Brunox expecially to clean the barell internals. Brunox contains chemical components which can easily clean off depositis from a bullet. Not sure about the chemical ingredients of WD 40 though.

Whatever the ingredients of a solvent, they will never be enough to clean the barrel fully over a long period of time. The manufacturers write very high sounding words for their products but a solvent can not fully take out the lead and copper fouling, specially in guns which are shot regularly. We have to use a brass or a copper brush to take out the fouling completely. I would suggest use of brass brush after spraying the gun with a solvent (WD-40, Brunox, Hoppes or any solvent, doesn't matter much). It is the brass brush which will do the proper cleaning between the lands and grooves. It is softer than steel barrel so it does not harm the barrel. It is harder than carbon, lead and copper deposits so it wipes them off. Use of BC lead remover cloth after the barrel has been completely dried of any solvent will also do the trick and will shine the bore like mirror.

MR and Rotorcrafts, will you share your experience of our last cleaning session. :)

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

I have something called Robla Solo which is ammonia-based, about which I heard a lot of scary stuff, although the manufacturer is Ballistol, so I suppose it's responsibly made at least. My pistol has about 200 rounds total, stainless steel barrel, some say ammonia products are not ever needed for pistols, can someone give me advice?

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

@ Newboy
Ammonia Based Products are made to remove the Copper Fouling inside your barrel.
A Handgun usually in not prone to Copper fouling because of the lower volocities.

But if you use a cloth swab in your rifle Barrel with ammonia or ammonia based solvents, and let it sit for an Hour.
Your Next patch will some out Bluish Green
That is the chemical reaction with the copper in your barrel.

But if you use ammonia on a Bronze Brush, what you will be seeing is the chemical reaction with the copper in the bronze brush, Making you think you have copper still in your barrel.

Profile E-mail  

Regional Ambassador - Sargodha Chapter

Thanks every body,

Actually i want a quick 'n' easy way to clean a gun with couple of easily avilable products,

One for cleaning & one for lubrication,

So please recommend the best available products.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

@ Mian Jee
There is No " QUICK " Way to clean a gun.
I just use Hoppes #9 a Bronze Brush for the Barrel and An old tooth Brush for the rest of the parts, and cloth patches to dry out the Bore before oiling.
You have to remove all the old powder and Carbon, and that will take time.
WD-40 is good to use for a quick clean after the range, if you will be shooting the gun in a day or Two.
But your gun should be DCORed , ( Disassembled, Cleaned, Oiled, and Reassembled. ) once a Month with the PROPER PRODUCTS

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

KBW wrote:
Furrukh wrote:

Whatever the ingredients of a solvent, they will never be enough to clean the barrel fully over a long period of time. The manufacturers write very high sounding words for their products but a solvent can not fully take out the lead and copper fouling, specially in guns which are shot regularly. We have to use a brass or a copper brush to take out the fouling completely. I would suggest use of brass brush after spraying the gun with a solvent (WD-40, Brunox, Hoppes or any solvent, doesn't matter much). It is the brass brush which will do the proper cleaning between the lands and grooves. It is softer than steel barrel so it does not harm the barrel. It is harder than carbon, lead and copper deposits so it wipes them off. Use of BC lead remover cloth after the barrel has been completely dried of any solvent will also do the trick and will shine the bore like mirror.

MR and Rotorcrafts, will you share your experience of our last cleaning session. :)

Sir I do agree with your statement. However I feel that one needs a good base fluid prior to commencing the thorough cleaning process. WD 40 to me never was a good cleansing base fluid. I regulary use WD 40 around the house and during mechanical jobs in my automobile but for firearms I would suggest Brunox. What kind of brushes we use is the secondary step.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

@ Mian Jee. I use the following:

1. Brunox Spray
2. Hoppes No. 9 Gun Powder Solvent
3. Hoppes No. 9 Gun Oil

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

@Farrukh
Hoppes 9 or Brunox are better solvents than WD 40 but are expensive too and are still not good enough to clean a barrel completely. It is the brass or copper brush that does the actual job. It physically rubs into the lands and grooves and takes out the fouling. After rubbing with brass brush thoroughly, I run a cotton swab till the time it comes out clean. Since I shoot a lot of handloads with cast lead bullets, every second or third cleaning, I add another step of running BC lead remover cloth through it and than again run the cotton swabs till the time they come out clean. BTW, the cotton swab comes out almost black after a BC lead remover cloth is run through. However, the barrels shines like mirror now.

@MR,
will you share your experience of cleaning session the other day?

Profile E-mail  

Sure sir,

After the Sunday session, me and Rotorcrafts went to sir KBW's home to clean the handguns we used. We were given the task to clean the handguns with WD40, along with the barrels. After satisfying ourselves with the cleaned bore of the TS and Shadow, we showed it to KBW, who then took out a magical patch and started rubbing the insides of the bore. When it came out it was Black, to our amazement, and after passing a few dry patches we were asked to inspect the bore.

What can I say, it was news to me that the bore can become this much clean/shiny! It had mirror like shine! Never have I seen a barrel like those before, and I thought I was cleaning my guns good!?! At-least now I know what standard to achieve! ;)

The magical patch was soaked in some kinda liquid, maybe KBW can shed some light on it!

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

@ KBW Sir: What is a BC lead remover ? Is it readily available in the market or you made it at home ?

Profile E-mail  

Regional Ambassador - Islamabad Chapter

As MR bhai has explained, The Birchwood Casey lead removal cloth

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4956/Product/LEAD-REMOVER-CLOTH

Was a real eye opener for me, There are some formulas on the internet to replicate the cloth yourself but do note that that stuff has some abrasive in it and i would not recommend using it after every firing session for cleaning. Rather it should be used after a couple of hundred rounds or so.

"If you are good at something, dont do it for free.." Joker.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Is it readily available ? Things in Karachi are very difficult to find !!

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

KBW sir if you clean the barrel thoroughly with Hoppes solvent and copper solvent then will this Lead remover still clean it some more ?

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Shariq wrote:
KBW sir if you clean the barrel thoroughly with Hoppes solvent and copper solvent then will this Lead remover still clean it some more ?

Good question SB. The company claims "Hoppes Number 9 Gun Powder Solvent is safe and gentle but highly effective at dissolving lead, copper, and carbon fouling. THE BEST all around gun cleaning solvent ever formulated " Assuming that the company is right then I reckon using a seperate solution to clean lead would have added advantages ?

On the other hand Birchwood Casey has this to say about their lead cloth "Chemically-treated cloth effectively attacks lead and copper bore deposit and removes them with only a few passes. Adds luster to nickel and stainless steel surfaces. Instantly removes carbon residue/powder fouling from the face of revolver cylinders and lead/plastic fouling in shotgun barrels "

Now by reading both the product descriptions you can come to the conclusion that they both perform similar functions. Your views please...

Profile E-mail