THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen
 
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:07 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: How to really, really clean pistol barrel?

TGF Expert Panel

Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:59 am
Posts: 3950
Location: Karachi, Pakistan
I noticed fouling in the barrel of my pistol. I used a brass brush, repeatedly, but there is still some left. Should I keep going at it till it is done, or is there another method to 'really' wipe clean the barrel to a shiny steely look?
I do have hoppes powder solvent, brunox CLP as well as wd40 CLP at hand, along with nylon and brass brushes.

_________________
Some times words are not enough...
A punch is necessary.

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How to really, really clean pistol barrel?

Master at Arms

Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:02 pm
Posts: 5253
Location: Karachi, Pakistan
What about copper solvents ?


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: How to really, really clean pistol barrel?

TGF Expert Panel

Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:59 am
Posts: 3950
Location: Karachi, Pakistan
I believe it is powder fouling, but copper solvents can also be tried. I have not used though. Any idea of availability?

_________________
Some times words are not enough...
A punch is necessary.

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How to really, really clean pistol barrel?

Master at Arms

Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:02 pm
Posts: 5253
Location: Karachi, Pakistan
Not sure.
You can make your own by mixing equal part sanitary ammonia and liquid lemon Max.
Just run a soaked patch through barrel and wait for 5 min. Then use WD-40 liberally to wipe away ammonia.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: How to really, really clean pistol barrel?

Moderator

Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:44 am
Posts: 2868
Location: Sargodha, Pakistan
Be careful with Ammonia!

Also, KBW one told me he got some solvent soaked patches that cleaned even the 'cleaned barrels'!! Maybe he can guide better! :D

_________________
It is better to "wear it out", than to "rust it out"!


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: How to really, really clean pistol barrel?

TGF Expert Panel

Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:32 am
Posts: 5541
Location: Arizona, US
Ammonia will eat out the copper jacket fouling.
That is why the patches turn a Blueish green color.
That is the ammonia interacting with the alloys in the jacket material like the Zinc.

_________________
Larry - a Gun Smith


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: How to really, really clean pistol barrel?

Sniper

Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:46 am
Posts: 1074
Location: Karachi & Gulf Countries
So it means we should not use ammonia for this job ?

_________________
"It's easy to fool the eye but it's hard to fool the heart." -
-- Al Pacino


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How to really, really clean pistol barrel?

Master at Arms

Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:02 pm
Posts: 5253
Location: Karachi, Pakistan
Its not industrial strength ammonia. Janitorial ammonia is very diluted and wont harm barrel if in contact for 5 min and wiped off with water or wd-40.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: How to really, really clean pistol barrel?

TGF Expert Panel

Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:32 am
Posts: 5541
Location: Arizona, US
Ammonia will not hurt the INSIDE of the Barrel if is wiped off in a reasonable time.

BUT It CAN Dull or in some cases Remove the finish in the exterior of the gun.
Teflon or Polymer finishes are Chemical RESISTANT , not chemical PROOF.
Some Hi Gloss bluing and be dulled if ammonia is left on the surface.

_________________
Larry - a Gun Smith


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: How to really, really clean pistol barrel?

Master at Arms

Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:02 pm
Posts: 5253
Location: Karachi, Pakistan
LAGS wrote:
Ammonia will not hurt the INSIDE of the Barrel if is wiped off in a reasonable time.

BUT It CAN Dull or in some cases Remove the finish in the exterior of the gun.
Teflon or Polymer finishes are Chemical RESISTANT , not chemical PROOF.
Some Hi Gloss bluing and be dulled if ammonia is left on the surface.

Sorry I should have warned about this.
Please remove the barrel and then clean with ammonia / lemon max.
Another caution. Please do this outdoors or else ammonia will blast off your sinuses.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: How to really, really clean pistol barrel?

TGF Managing Committee

Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:49 pm
Posts: 1499
Location: Karachi, Pakistan
This is what I do and it works really well for me:

1. Block / close the front end of the barrel with a tissue paper

2. Spray the internal of the barrel with Brunox and let it stay for 10 minutes

3. Use a nylon brush to loosen up the gunk

4. Clean the barrel with a swab

5. Repeat steps 2, 3 and 4 but this time just wait for 2-3 minutes before scrubbing the gunk

6. Use a swab to apply Hoppes No. 9 Gun Powder Solvent

7. Let is stay for 10 minutes

8. Use a nylon brush to loosen up the gunk

9. Use a swab to finally clean the barrel if necessary

10. Apply a fine coat of Hoppes No. 9 All weather guard gun oil inside the barrel before re-assembling the gun.

_________________
Hooyah !!


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: How to really, really clean pistol barrel?

Master at Arms

Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:31 pm
Posts: 7421
Location: Islamabad, Pakistan
I spray WD40 inside the barrel, give it a good rubbing with brass brush, spray again and clean it with a swab. Doesn't take more than 2 minutes. After every 200 rounds or so, I give the barrel good cleaning with lead remover cloth as I shoot lot of hand loaded ammo with my own cast lead bullets.

_________________
Si vis pacem, para bellum


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: How to really, really clean pistol barrel?

Shooter

Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:20 pm
Posts: 27
Location: Pakistan
I also use same method......................explained by KBW

_________________
Vodka and ice will ruin your kidneys. Rum and ice will ruin your liver. Whiskey and ice will ruin your heart. Gin and ice will ruin your brain. Coke and ice will ruin your teeth. Apparently ice is lethal!!! Warn all your friends: Lay off the ice!!


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: How to really, really clean pistol barrel?

TGF Managing Committee

Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:49 pm
Posts: 1499
Location: Karachi, Pakistan
KBW wrote:
I spray WD40 inside the barrel, give it a good rubbing with brass brush, spray again and clean it with a swab. Doesn't take more than 2 minutes.


KBW bro, 2 questions:

1. You use a brass brush for all types of ammo or just when you use lead based ammo ?
2. Do you think that WD40 is capable of cleaning ALL types of residue in the barrel ? I ask because as per WD40's specifications it is an oil based spray which is useful for lubrication and loosening up rust in hinges, machine parts etc etc

_________________
Hooyah !!


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: How to really, really clean pistol barrel?

TGF Expert Panel

Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:32 am
Posts: 5541
Location: Arizona, US
@ Furrukh
WD-40 is Actually a solvent , with oiling properties.
It works by cutting thru the old grime on tools/parts, to let the thin oil penetrate into the metal.

But the only draw back is, the oil is not a permanite oil for LONG TERM storage.
You still need to oil or grease your gun for STORAGE, But for a clean and shoot within a month it is good enough protestion.
A Brass or Bronze brush is best for all bullet types, as it is stiff enough to get the build up of powder and carbon out of the corners of your barrels rifling lands and grooves, without hurting the barrel.

My method is the same as KBWs, Except, if the barrel is really dirty from a dirty powder type, I add in a Mopping with Hoppe's #9 POWDER SOLVENT Before I do the WD-40

_________________
Larry - a Gun Smith


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: How to really, really clean pistol barrel?

Site Admin

Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:58 pm
Posts: 7950
Location: Karachi, Pakistan
LAGS wrote:
My method is the same as KBWs, Except, if the barrel is really dirty from a dirty powder type, I add in a Mopping with Hoppe's #9 POWDER SOLVENT Before I do the WD-40


Ditto. That's exactly what I do too. After four/five range visits, I too add a powder solvent mopping to the routine.

_________________
Parcham-e-sitāra-o hilāl, Rahbar-e-taraqqī-o kamāl, Tarjumān-e-māzī, shān-e-hāl, jān-e-istiqbāl!, Sāyah-e-khudā-e-zu-l-jalāl

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: How to really, really clean pistol barrel?

TGF Managing Committee

Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:49 pm
Posts: 1499
Location: Karachi, Pakistan
Applying Gunpowder solvent before brunox / WD 40 makes sense. I use the gun powder solvent after every range visit which averages around 40 rounds, hope I ain't over using the powder solvent. I prefer using the nylon brush, unless advised otherwise by you gents.

_________________
Hooyah !!


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: How to really, really clean pistol barrel?

Master at Arms

Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:31 pm
Posts: 7421
Location: Islamabad, Pakistan
Furrukh wrote:
1. You use a brass brush for all types of ammo or just when you use lead based ammo ?

All types of ammo.
Furrukh wrote:
2. Do you think that WD40 is capable of cleaning ALL types of residue in the barrel ? I ask because as per WD40's specifications it is an oil based spray which is useful for lubrication and loosening up rust in hinges, machine parts etc etc

Cleaning is done by the brass brush basically, as explained by LAGS. WD 40 is more of a medium that facilitates cleaning.

_________________
Si vis pacem, para bellum


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: How to really, really clean pistol barrel?

TGF Managing Committee

Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:49 pm
Posts: 1499
Location: Karachi, Pakistan
Good info. Would you recommend using a brass brush instantly i.e even though the gun has only fired 150 rounds in its entire life ? and what is your view on using gun powder solvent after every range visit ? Lastly are you an advocate of applying a fine layer of gun oil inside the barrel at the end of each cleaning session ?

_________________
Hooyah !!


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: How to really, really clean pistol barrel?

Moderator

Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:44 am
Posts: 2868
Location: Sargodha, Pakistan
I only use a brass brush after a couple of sessions (usually 200-300 rounds). Bear in mind, do not use the brass brush in the barrel like you use a tooth brush, to-and-fro motion. Just run it through a couple of times, in from the chamber side and out the muzzle end! Then use a patch with solvent. And after that dry patches, till the one that comes out clean! ;)

If you run a tight patch right after your session (when the barrel is still hot), you'll witness the barrel being really really clean! :D

_________________
It is better to "wear it out", than to "rust it out"!


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: How to really, really clean pistol barrel?

Sharp Shooter

Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:37 am
Posts: 788
Location: ALL PAKISTAN
I usually spray the barrel with Brunox, almost instantly after last round. Put the gun in a leak proof plastic bag and then into the box. The bag secures that my box foam doesn't get oiled up.

Back home later, sometimes hours later, the brunox has already done it's job well, and I use a nylon brush to loosen up everything.

Then a couple of dry swabs to get the dirt out. Another spray with brunox, another two swabs. When last swab comes out clean, I mop it once with a bore mop, then I again spray a bit of brunox on the final, clean swab and run it through the barrel to give it the protecting layer of the CLP.

As for copper solvents, I use Hoppe's No 9, once in a while.

For the rest of the gun, lubing is done with Hoppe's gun oil.


Regards.

_________________
TAKE YOUR TIME AND DELIBERATE, BUT WHEN THE TIME FOR ACTION HAS ARRIVED, STOP THINKING, AND GO IN.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: How to really, really clean pistol barrel?

Master at Arms

Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:31 pm
Posts: 7421
Location: Islamabad, Pakistan
Mangloo Ramzani wrote:
Bear in mind, do not use the brass brush in the barrel like you use a tooth brush, to-and-fro motion. Just run it through a couple of times, in from the chamber side and out the muzzle end!

Correct. And primarily because frequent to and fro toothbrush like movement will wear out the brass brush too quickly. And brass brushes are a little expensive in Pakistan and sometimes, not easily available.

_________________
Si vis pacem, para bellum


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: How to really, really clean pistol barrel?

TGF Managing Committee

Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:49 pm
Posts: 1499
Location: Karachi, Pakistan
AK47 wrote:
I usually spray the barrel with Brunox, almost instantly after last round. Put the gun in a leak proof plastic bag and then into the box. The bag secures that my box foam doesn't get oiled up.

Back home later, sometimes hours later, the brunox has already done it's job well, and I use a nylon brush to loosen up everything.

Then a couple of dry swabs to get the dirt out. Another spray with brunox, another two swabs. When last swab comes out clean, I mop it once with a bore mop, then I again spray a bit of brunox on the final, clean swab and run it through the barrel to give it the protecting layer of the CLP.

As for copper solvents, I use Hoppe's No 9, once in a while.

For the rest of the gun, lubing is done with Hoppe's gun oil.


Regards.


How many bottles of brunox do you go through in a month AK bhai ? :) Why do you use Brunox rather than Hoppes Oil to apply a final layer protection ?

_________________
Hooyah !!


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: How to really, really clean pistol barrel?

Sharp Shooter

Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:37 am
Posts: 788
Location: ALL PAKISTAN
Furrukh wrote:
AK47 wrote:
I usually spray the barrel with Brunox, almost instantly after last round. Put the gun in a leak proof plastic bag and then into the box. The bag secures that my box foam doesn't get oiled up.

Back home later, sometimes hours later, the brunox has already done it's job well, and I use a nylon brush to loosen up everything.

Then a couple of dry swabs to get the dirt out. Another spray with brunox, another two swabs. When last swab comes out clean, I mop it once with a bore mop, then I again spray a bit of brunox on the final, clean swab and run it through the barrel to give it the protecting layer of the CLP.

As for copper solvents, I use Hoppe's No 9, once in a while.

For the rest of the gun, lubing is done with Hoppe's gun oil.


Regards.


How many bottles of brunox do you go through in a month AK bhai ? :) Why do you use Brunox rather than Hoppes Oil to apply a final layer protection ?


Well, I've used Hoppe's oil for the final lubrication of the barrel and still do use it occasionally for this purpose, but I feel brunox - being an all- rounder CLP - gives the barrel the kind of protective "film" better than the Hoppe's, and I deem the Hoppe's N0.9 orange bottle of oil more suitable for mechanical parts than for a non-mechanical barrel.

The mechanical parts get their drop of Hoppe's always.

Moreover, I do not like my barrel to be overly oiled up, just a protective barrier of the Brunox is enough, and bear in mind also that too much oil inside the barrel can have the tendency to heat it up also when in use.


Whether you use your guns frequently enough or not, the thin filmy layer of Brunox CLP is enough to do the protection, if you do maintain it regularly.

I usually open up the boxes once every 2-3 weeks - when not in use - and run through a semi-wet cloth of brunox or a pre-soaked wet tissue Birchwood Casey rust protector through the barrel.


As for the Brunox, I was surprised recently to find the prices over here going up from Rs. 600 for big can to Rs. 1200!! :angry-banghead:



Regards. :)

_________________
TAKE YOUR TIME AND DELIBERATE, BUT WHEN THE TIME FOR ACTION HAS ARRIVED, STOP THINKING, AND GO IN.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: How to really, really clean pistol barrel?

Master at Arms

Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:02 pm
Posts: 5253
Location: Karachi, Pakistan
KBW wrote:
I spray WD40 inside the barrel, give it a good rubbing with brass brush, spray again and clean it with a swab. Doesn't take more than 2 minutes.

Sir does this really, really clean pistol barrel?


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC + 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL -
phpBB SEO