THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:37 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Photography!! Display your pics here...

Master at Arms

Thanks AK47 for giving the idea, I seriously feel that we need to have a thread dedicated to photography. In this thread, members can post the outdoor / indoor / wildlife/ any other pics purely from photography point of view. Members may like to give details of camera, lens, time, logjt conditions, technique etc, details that a photographer would like to know.

Here we go. Hoping to see some good entries. And let's share our own experience and mutually learn about this wonderful hobby. No pics from the internet please because we do not know how and under what conditions they were taken. :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Photograpy!! Display your pics here...

Sharp Shooter

You welcome, KBW Sahib! :)

Yes, the mentioning of instruments/tools/lenses/camera mode/ aperture in case of manual settings and
other photographic details should preferably be mentioned to the best of ability, as this would enable better understanding of results achieved and also enable the more experienced here to guide others as how to improve upon and achieve better with their photography, specifically using DSLR.

I am laying out with below pics, which although good enough in most people's view, still do not quite satisfy me wrt to best exposure.

I was using my Nikon D-5200, 24.1 Mpx, standard Nikkor 18-55 VR, Programmed mode (P) mostly, and photographing in medium light atmosphere due to mostly cloudy weather:

The color nuance of the D-5200 in "Vivid color" mode, shown on Hunza apricots:

Btw, never tasted better, sweeter apricots all my life, than those found around Karimabad!

You can check the clarity of water pearls on the apricots, though I believe auto-focus mode was center weighted.

Further color balance, D-5200, Vivid, Nikkor 18-55mm, P:

And this picture of one of my servants tells something about the clarity detailing (look at his hairline) of the D-5200 too, main object standing out clear, like if cut out! I think the Camera was in A mode, Auto Flash:

Some scenery, P mode:

Sun-Set time, P mode, 18-55 mm Nikkor on 18mm, widest angle:

Pathways to Baltit Fort:

A view of Naltar, on return:

Image[/url]

And I had tried my Glock on a Hunza Rock, no richochets! :mrgreen:

P Mode:

"Jolly Jumper", beneath beautiful clouds, P mode:

There were plenty more, but this should suffice for a start.

I'd appreciate to know what I could do to improve upon with the exposure. In example, I was not quite satisfied with these pics, in fact I was pretty pi..... off by the stock Nikkor 18-55, since in reality lighting conditions were much better than shown here.

I was especially set aback when I or family were photographed by the servant who'd move upon the zooming of the optics, instead of coming closer in distance himself. This reproduced darker pics and I had to sadly apply Nikon D-Lighting effect to many of them to make them appear better. :?:

All above pics were not captured in full camera resolution of 24.1 mpxs, but something like 10 only, and are all non-edited, natural effects, and have only been resized from the larger resolution to a smaller one, as to enable a quicker page loading here on the forum.

Kindly do mention shortcomings and how to counterbalance these with respect to camera mode settings, how I could achieve better results and more clarity wrt to different autofocus settings, Matrix, Center focused, etc, and how to achieve better lighting reflections too? :think: I am still new with DSLR.

The Hardware used, swivel screen:

Purchased @ whopping SR 3600 last summer, Nikon bag, 16GB Mem card included. I believe it's cheaper here and in the 75-80K's range. Never buy electronics from KSA. :angry-banghead:

Let's make it a full-fledged photography thread with suggestions on photographic techniques involved.

Do share your pics here, even without the technical details involved, but preferably with, or at least to the best of ability.

In any case, looking forward to some nice shots here, from the softer trigger. ;)

Regards. :)

Last edited by AK47 on Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:47 am, edited 8 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Photography!! Display your pics here...

Sharp Shooter

Very nice thread :text-bravo:

I believe some great pictures and cameras would be displayed here :)

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Wajeeh Hasan wrote:
Very nice thread :text-bravo:

I believe some great pictures and cameras would be displayed here :)

Yes, and best pictures & equipment - rest assured - would be coming from Saif's quarter, just wait and see! :lol:

Profile E-mail  

WOW! AK47 awesome pics. This is pro quality work. :clap:

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

AK47 sir, I am not sure what is the correct term in Nikon for "picture style" in my canon there are six and three user definable styles, they basically play with temperature of light and improves picture quality a lot, default is set on standard which should be changed if you really want to see impressive pictures from your DSLR camera, I am not exactly sure if you used a polariser or UV filter they usually improve travel photography a lot especially snow capped mountain reflecting bright white light which confuses metering of your camera, if you are new like me try to read and understand histograms in liveview.

BTW have you studied rules of composition such as rule of thirds, leading line etc

try to search for these names on flicker etc SM Bukhari, Yasir Nisar, Israr Shah

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Critics?

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

https://www.facebook.com/Chris.McLennan ... tos_stream do check his EXIF data and hardware details for learning purpose

Profile E-mail  

Regional Ambassador - Sargodha Chapter

@AK47 & isk, Really great photos.

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Nice one AK47....:)

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Wow awe inspiring and Jaw dropping pictures AK47 bro. Nice to know that you sir are an expert shooter in skill of photography too ;) ...

Pa Watan zaan qurban dai

Profile E-mail  

@ isk, Zabardast.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Nice input guys, specially AK47. :text-bravo:

isk, great pics. Did you take these with your 18-55 lens?

My other hobby, gardening, keeps me busy in photography, specially close ups of my favourite plants, Roses. Just sharing a few pics . Most of these have already been posted on various gardening forums. Next, I will share the landscapes.

All pics have been taken with Canon D550 using EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens.

As you can see in the above pics, I need to understand the basics better and of course, need to get a better macro lens too.

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

@SS, Mian Jee, Isk, Wajeh, Skywatcher................Thanks. I personally was not satisfied with my pictures. They lack something still.

@ISK..................I think you're referring to what by Nikon is called "scenes". Different preset light temperatures for different occasions, different photographic environments.

Yet, my problem was a different one. I had these 2 issues:

1) On zooming, pictures would become darker. Yet, I think this is normal with standard lenses. I feel a lower aperture range of the lens is required to offset this, and an extra, more powerful hotshoe flash as an add on.

2) The darn LCD display shows perfectly taken pictures, when in reality, the pictures would be a few shades darker. I was basically befooled a bit by this and thought during the journey that I had captured things just right. It's on homecoming later that i found, things were a bit wrong.

And btw, great shot there, wondeful. Did you capture it with your Canon?

In any case, it's an example of waterproof hair and a guy out visiting either a Caracal repairing center, or, most likely, out to have his CarAC tuned up, lolz! :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Zabardast KBW.

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

@KBW..............Nice show, Sir! Beautiful color balance!

Are these shots non-edited? I mean, without effects?

Which lens have you been using?

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Thanks AK sahib. These pics have been slightly edited but not much. Just a bit of brightness and contrast. As for the actual colour balace, all pics have the original color balance, just contrast enhanced and brightness decreased a little. The lenses has been mentioned above (18-135).

Less one or two, all pics have been taken early morning which is the best time in my view.

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

KBW wrote:
Thanks AK sahib. These pics have been slightly edited but not much. Just a bit of brightness and contrast. As for the actual colour balace, all pics have the original color balance, just contrast enhanced and brightness decreased a little. The lenses has been mentioned above (18-135).

Less one or two, all pics have been taken early morning which is the best time in my view.

Great Photography KBW sir specially the last one with bee is awesome and would have been even better
if it was more macro kind, and yes early morning and late afternoon is the time when available light is at its best.

Pa Watan zaan qurban dai

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

@AK47: yes the water splash pics were taken with my canon 550D kit 18-55, unfortunately car ac boards were unavoidable long story. I think there is always a difference in camera's LCD and desktop/laptop screen if you were shooting RAW you should be able to extract good details. Perhaps you should try to take same shot in two or three different settings "scenes" mounted on a tripod to see what works best where.

@KBW: Sir nice pictures, have you considered a lens reversal ring for the macro shots?

@All: thank you for appreciating.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Some shots from my this weekend's trip to Mirpur Sakro

Canon 550d+Sigma 150-500mm
f/10
1/1600 secs
ISO 200
Focal length 340mm

Canon 550d+18-55mm
f/30
30 secs
ISO 200
Focal length 18mm

Canon 550d+18-55mm
f/5.6
619 secs
ISO 800
Focal length 18mm
Star trail was taken without a remote trigger with exposure time of 619 Secs, putting my tripod in water was a bad idea as it called for too much unwanted attention which might have contributed to the hand shake as well

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

Beautiful photography all around.

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

619 secs means u need to keep the camera still for 12mins???

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

@FK for star trails you need to take long exposures, for this shot camera was mounted on a tripod which was placed in the water while I sat besides it holding on to the shutter button for 619secs trying my level best not to move but curious by-lookers forced me to answer their questions plus the temperature was around 5 celsius, I could have found an isolated spot and tried another long exposure but cold weather and long exposures are quite taxing on battery and I wanted to save it for bird shots in the morning but when the sun rose the birds were no where to be found in immediate vicinity (BTW isnt 619/60=10.3 minutes)

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

@Isk................. Beautiful pics once more, especially the sun-set one, and the star trail. :clap:

My problem these days is I'm getting NO time to shoot with either trigger. I plan every Sunday, and then something unexpected dumps into the schedule!

Btw, do you have to keep the trigger depressed for such long time with those night shots? I mean, doesn't the shutter lock and release automatically on Auto?

I can see you used ISO 800 there, wonder how long it would have taken on lower ISO, or how shorter exposure time would it have required on even higher ISO settings?

Keep sharing.

Regards.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

@AK47, thank you sir for the appreciation, I admit trigger hobbies are quite time consuming.

It is actually sunrise, temperature was 2 Celsius just before the sun came out. I was shooting with my 18-55 then a friend loaned me his sigma 150-500 for this shot.

With technological advancements latest cameras can "actually" handle higher ISO producing lower noise comparatively but in my camera higher ISO means lot of noise, just to check composition I took 30sec exposures with maximum ISO shots came lot brighter but useless as they were very noisy, shorter exposure at ISO800 would not only have produced a darker image comparatively but the star trail movement would also have been shorter, I can post both the shots (higher ISO/shorter exposure) for learning purpose if you want.

In my camera for press and release feature maximum exposure is 30 secs, in bulb mode camera's shutter will remain exposed as long as one can hold it by pressing it down manually the moment you take off your hand from the button, shutter would close as well. There are remote triggers which can be programmed for longer exposures and need to be plugged in with cable or wireless as well without physically touching the camera body, I did not have one with me so did a little experiment.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next