THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:01 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Let's discuss 4x4s / Off-roaders / SUVs

TGF Managing Committee

Thank you for the generous offer sir. The first time i sat on the driving seat of my pajero, which has a stock ground clearance, i was so nervous, it took me 4-5 mins to prep myself to drive it, considering i used to drive a indus corolla, which already is a very down to earth car. Driving your phantom would require alot of mental prepping. I think i should start about now :)

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

Mangloo Ramzani wrote:
@ FouadHafeez:
Sir, we really need to meet up! and thanks for the replies earlier!

One more question, extending the chassis, from where exactly is it done if done from the canter and not the trailing end?? and what kind of chassis rigidity problems (if any) will be encountered??
The same offer extends to you, brother. Whenever you're in Pindi, it would be a pleasure to meet you.

Onto "stretching". Usually, this is done to extend the wheelbase of the vehicle, i.e., the space between the front and rear wheels. This is to extend the cabin length (for more space), or to enhance stability (as I mentioned, it's somewhat more difficult rolling over a slightly longer vehicle). Choosing the actual point of extension depends on the desired end product, really.

Additionally, it's also quite common for the extension to be put in at the tail of the vehicle (my black FJ40 has been extended between the wheels AND at the rear end, too). This is usually, for the obvious reason of putting in a pickup tub, extending the cargo area, and generally providing flexibility for add-ons at the tail of the vehicle.

Whenever the chassis is extended, it will invariably result in droop or sag, if not properly reinforced. This is why it is not advisable to do massive modifications to chassis length (although limousine owners might disagree with this!). Regardless, though...whenever extending the chassis, reinforcement is a key word, which must never be overlooked.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

FouadHafeez wrote:
FK wrote:
BTW Fouad sb, do you pictures of the sweetheart in action? Like going through a ditch or something like that. I have seen a pic of it standing covered in mud, but would love to see pictures of it going through it.
I have a ton of photos of the beast :) Not all of them are action shots, though.

I also DO have a rather brilliant video of the vehicle during a water-crossing (taken by a dear friend, on one of our excursions), but with YouTube currently down, I have no idea how to share it with y'all.

you can post video on FB I think

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

I have to thank all respected members, FK, FouadHafeez, Qwertypoi, for the kind, helping inputs. My views are now clear about the differences between the local and the Thai Vigo Champ.

Qwerty brother was very short in comparing apples to apples, hence 2.5 vs 2.5, leave alone 3.0 Turbo.

I also agree, it's not only about the engine displacements, but more about the Hp's, torques involved.

As of such, 101 Hp's of our local Vigo 2.5 are found really low for such a size vehicle and I can almost feel my foot pedal looking around for greater depth to the floor, lol! My R18 Oriel Sedan I suppose is having something close to 140 Hp's, so a Vigo with a 101 Hp's is kind of forcing the hell outta Carry Dabba!

In brief, if I ultimately should decide for this vehicle, and considering the injector issues with the pre-2009 versions, I suppose the answer gotta be the Thai 2009/2010.

Thanks again.

Regards.

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

Let's see if this works.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... _processed

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

FouadHafeez wrote:

Well, they both work! The video as well as the Phantom. Wow.

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

Site Admin

...... and the drooling begins.

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

@Fouad sb, what performance sir. I am sure the phantom would be able to handle a lot more challenges if throw at him. Simply awesome. As i said before....wet dreams aaaaahhhhhhh

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Fouad sb, i have one more question. I have an intercooler in my pajero. its situated right on top of the engine. So far what i know is, that the intercooler takes in air, cools it and feeds it to the engine. The question i have is, how is a intercooler maintained. I mean once in a while i hose the jaali (or the grill) between the frame of the intercooler or clean it with a powerful blow, which blows out a lot of dust from the jaali. But is that the right method. And secondly every 2-3 months i have to straighten the grooves of the jali. So if you could (in as much detail if you have the time) explain how can i maintain my intercooler? thanx in advance.
Regards.

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

First off, brother, if you don't have grimy/dirty oil deposits on the pipes leading to the intercooler, it's best to do nothing more than what you're already doing. Dust and the like won't actually harm an intercooler, and if you're having it cleaned out, regularly, there's no problem with the grille getting clogged, or its efficiency getting reduced.

The problem with intercoolers starts when there is an accumulation of oil in the intercooler unit, which can be spotted by tell-tale signs on the pipes etc that lead to it. To actually clean an intercooler isn't a very big deal (although, as I said earlier...if it isn't broken, don't try to fix it). Simply remove the unit, spray some carb cleaner into it, and allow the cleaner to soak into the tubes (to get fully cleaned) for 15-20 minutes. Add some petrol to the unit, rinse it well, and then allow it to air-dry for a couple of hours. Refit the unit back, and it should be as right as rain.

I hope this helps.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

By spraying carb cleaner you mean onto the pipes or into the pipes or all over the unit, like the pipes and the grills. The pipes are made of cloth like material, nylon most probably...they dont feel like rubber. The similarly the petrol goes on to the pipes or the whole unit?

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

The entire unit. But only if you feel there is a dire need to remove the intercooler unit, and clean it inside-out. If not...then you should stick to what you're already doing for periodic maintenance.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

A periodic maintainence in my case also involves a monthly straightening of the ribs. I dont know if its because of the scoop, but the ribs on my intercooloer become crooked. So almost once a month i spend around 2-3 hours, straightening them out. Then i blow them with air, then wash em, then blow off the excess water with air again. So far i have not noticed any oil residue on the pipes.
Now another question has popped into my mind, which I honestly havent discussed with anyone. I have seen a lot of products that can be added to with the oil or wilth diesel. Do they help. What would be the pros and cons of using such products with my vehicle?

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

To my mind, oil additives are unnecessary if your engine is running alright and there's none of the dreaded blue smoke being emitted. If your engine IS emitting blue smoke, it's the first sign of it needing an overhaul. When you open the oil filler cap, if you get much of a "blow" from there when you gun the engine...that's another sign. To prolong the inevitable, oil additives like STOP oil etc, are common. Although they really ARE just a case of delaying what's already written on the wall.

Every now or then though, I use STP diesel treatment in my diesel vehicles to keep the injectors nice and clean. The only reason I do this, is because of the disreputable state of mixing etc that is common practice at our pumps, et al. Is it really necessary? No. Not really. More for peace of mind than anything else, I think.

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Finally took the required SUV plunge, after a long search:

3.4L Petrol, Surf SSRG, fully loaded 2004, imported late 2007 by single caring owner, and like new, inside out.

One blast of a ride, with just the right feel of sheer "power".

The Vigo plan was discarded, after I found that it's open rear was of no use to me, since I do loaded baggage interval stops on journeys, and rarely travel point to point only.

Looking forward to next season "surfing"!

Regards. :)

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Does it have a sun-roof? How else would you install an MG on this? The Vigo was advised due to certain benefits you might have overlooked...

And, many congratulations, but you will miss the sun-roof if it is not there.

Sharp Shooter

Saif wrote:
Does it have a sun-roof? How else would you install an MG on this? The Vigo was advised due to certain benefits you might have overlooked...

And, many congratulations, but you will miss the sun-roof if it is not there.

Lolz! You bet it's there! Things were thought out when selecting this BW-II, lolz! ;)

Moreover, the rear window gets rolled down with the push of a button, so the man at rear can do the rest James Bond too, lolz! Double opening, roof+rear! 8-)

Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Then, it is an excellent stuff. Now, we need an immediate range report of the SUV with the mossy and .40S&W CZ ..

Sharp Shooter

Saif wrote:
Then, it is an excellent stuff. Now, we need an immediate range report of the SUV with the mossy and .40S&W CZ ..

Bro, you named it!

The Mossy and the Caracal were out surfing recently. And they delivered. Especially the QS system proved itself beyond belief of some of the staunchest critics that I know of! There was nothing to say against it when it beat a Sig P226 Tachops hands down in speed-shoot shot placement!

The .40 will follow soon, Inshallah, for a double review:

A fuel consumption review on the SUV will follow too.

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

@ AK47 . Congrats on acquiring such a sweet ride. good thing you went with petrol. Imported Diesel engines in Pakistan just dont work anymore due to our high sulphur content diesel here. I got a a 2011 SUV imported from the UK. Diesel. Immediately, ran into problems. The new ones have an EGR (exhaust gas recycling) system which randomly blew plumes of smoke at traffic lights when it was working (by taking exhaust gases from near the exhaust manifold and pushing a percentage of it back into the engine for a second go to burn off particulates completely).
Good thing i know a little bit about engines, so i blocked off the EGR valve and the problem is solved to the tune of 99%. However, for some odd reason, while i was expecting a fuel efficiency increase, it has actually gone down and now giving an average of 14 -15 litres / 100 kms in the city and this is when i drive VERY CAREFULLY and hardly ever have the turbo kick in. With a little aggressive city driving the mileage plummets to 17-18 litres / 100 kms!

P.S. Mercedes C/o Shahnawaz motors would not get you a diesel vehicle here anymore regardless of what you do due to their newest diesel engines konking out completely due to the HSC diesel here.
Audi will also not take any orders for diesel variants for Pakistan anymore.

However, a friend just got a Range rover sports in diesel and he was literally crying when having the same embarrassing issue randomly at traffic lights.. Workshops always wrongly concluded 'fuel injectors are shot' as the issue is the EGR system.

Then there is the engine oil. I find using synthetic works well for me but i do not dare use it for more than 10k (though internationally it is rated for far higher KM before recommended change).
Lastly, most of the engine oil available for diesels here is for heavy diesel engines. 10w40 15w40. whereas the recommended viscosity for most light diesel engines, including mine is 5w30 so most of the time i am having the oil imported from Dubai.
Then there is the issue of the Particulate filter clogging up every 5-10k pushing your vehicle into LIMP mode. I had these removed completely from both my vehicles so the headache is gone but with some models, removing the particulate filter would get the engine check light on as the sensors would give the wrong readings to the ECU.

I think i will keep my jeep for one more year and then get a petrol version.

How is the mileage on yours? are you planning on some upgrades?

@ FouadHafeez:
Truly wonderful machine you have in your Phantom. How much did the total project set you back? If i just want these larger tyres on my SUV - Nissan Navara D40, what to do? i have a 6 inch lift on it already , but your baby looks way too nice with its large wheels.
Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Thanks Trajan bro for detailed post on the local diesel menace nowadays. And thanks for your kind comments, nice to know you liked it. :)

There was no way at all, that I'd go for a diesel variant. In fact, even with petrol, I Hi-Octane it, feeling that Super tends to disturb it's carbon emission sensor, giving this terrible yellow engine malfunction light!

In fact, I was offered a Land Cruiser 99, superb condition body, interior, even 2 lacs below the price of this chosen one above, but did not dare to venture out for a Diesel vehicle. Not because of the above highlighted issue with respect to poor Diesel quality here in Pakistan, but simply because I've no experience with guesstimating the condition of an old Diesel engine and would not like to take the risk.

Most of these 80 series LC's have been running here in our country since late 90' ties and people bring them up for sale, when they have a feel that the time now is just about to be in for an overhaul.

Petrol is the way to go, no doubts. I was just about to fall for a Cygnus 99, but the 4.7 Ltrs engine was a scare off, since I've no plans for now about investing in a petrol pump! :lol:

The choice finally stood between a Prado 2003-2004 and the Surf 2004. The Surf's flatter lines, lower profile, wider appearance, and presumably better road grip, were some of the features that attracted me. Moreover, there was a price difference of some 1 Million, petrol to petrol variant.

Trajan bro, no customization from my side so far, else than the front grille in chrome, some new carpet mats, a pair of HID's. Rims are 17" alloys, tires almost brand new. Have you any suggestions for mods? Please do feel free to suggest.

As for performance, I am in the process of checking it out wrt fuel efficiency.

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

@ Ak47: Great decision and it looks nice.
As for Mod's situation in Karachi is different than in Punjab. My vehicle is geared more towards tackling sand and mud on Sindh as opposed to hill/ rock climbing. Also, i have raised it enough so i can go over most center lane dividers in Karachi in case i ever run into a mob again and have to make a speedy U. I am now looking to install a good looking front metal push bumper grill guard in case. Raising the vehicle a bit always makes it look nicer. I shall post pics of mine soon.

As far as the HID's are concerned, look for those with temperature ratings of 4300k to max 5000k . These are as close to the natural sunlight as you can get. Higher temperatures (6000k, 8000k, 10000k and 12000k) are progressively more blue in colour (the higher the temp rating the more bluish the tint) which look good for show but their light output is actually lower. On a dark night with wet roads you will see the bluish tint/ higher temperature HID's literally failing to illuminate the road in front of you whereas the 4300k lights would perform phenomenally.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Has any off the international members (specially USA) have any exprience with the Ford Raptor. I saw her on a recent top gear (The USA edition) man that looked like a mean machine. So if anyone has had a close encounter with her, please do a pictoral review of the vehical.

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

*bumped*

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

AK bro
What mileage are you getting out of your Surf in city and highway?

Last edited by Saif on Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next