THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:49 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Let's discuss 4x4s / Off-roaders / SUVs

Shooter

The snorkel actually serves to provide cooler, cleaner, more dense (hence, more oxygen rich) air to the engine. Think of it this way: the "normal" air inlet to the engine is located within the engine compartment. This air is warmer (due to engine heat) and will often have lots of dust kicked up by the wheels, too. The snorkel's intake on the other hand is located far away from the engine; thus cooler, and is relatively cleaner. This provides for better combustion.

When sealed correctly, the snorkel also provides you better fording capability. That is not to say that one should attempt to drown the engine...but for unexpectedly deep water, the snorkel will ensure that no water is inadvertently sucked into the combustion chamber, and will thus, safeguard your engine.

Plus...it looks kinda cool. :)

AND...as some critics of snorkel systems in general would say: "it makes it easier to spot your rig in a parking lot"!

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

FouadHafeez: sir you have very nice rides, I wish I could afford any of those fuel guzzling vehicles in this era of rising fuel prices

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

AK47 wrote:
Interesting tread.

I had been looking for an opportunity to join discussion this sort with close friends here.

Anyhow, I share the same requirements as SA bro and want to add up the Sedan with a robust 4X4 to meet my off-roading requirements for the uphill vacations every year.

Not intending to disturb the rhythm of discussion going on here with respect to the models/options mentioned already, could anyone with experience from respectable members here, kindly help in highlighting the key differences in driving pleasure, comfort, maintenance, etc, between our local Vigo Champ 2012 by Toyota and the Thai imported Vigo of 2009/2010????!!

I know the difference in the Diesel engine is a version 2.5 (Local) vs 3.0 (Thailand), but what does this actually translate to in sheer driving pleasure on the roads/hilly areas? Is one underpowered with a 2.5 local?

The difference in prices is some 5-10 lacs, brand new Vigo Champ local going some 3.2 Mils, I believe. The Thai 2009/2010 operates between 3.8 and 4.5 Mils.

Exteriors of the Thai are very appealing to me, it looks quite gorgeous.

My preferred option was a Toyota Land Cruiser, 98, I simply love this model, but dogs/guards/occasional driver, etc, are forcing me to choose the double cabined option instead, since I wish to maintain my cabin privacy during rides.

Inputs would be highly appreciated.

Regards. :)

I would like to add something about the Local 2.5 liter Vigo champ, It is 2.5 litre version dont mistake is with the 2.5 liter thai model.
Forget about the 3.0 for a while.

Indus 2.5 model is 101 Hp and is actually not Vn turbo and the Thai 2.5 version is having vn turbo which gives it around 141Hp and relatively greater amount of torque.

Further more about the Injector Problem yes it exists but in Pre 2009 models. 2009 and above models have 2nd gen injectors which are not problematic.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Very informative topic.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Fouad sb, thank you for all time you take out for us, however i still have alot to learn :). So far everyone who i have talked has never been able to give me a clear answer abt snorkels uptill now. Is snorkel a custom job or can i just order one from somewhere? I see alot off ads on the net claiming they sell snorkels off the shelf. So do they come in a "one size fits all" or do i have to get one custom made, because as u said i really want a snorkel for the looks. So far all i have is a bull grill, metal rear amd front bumpers, flared fenders and metal footrests. Next step i want is a snorkel.

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

Please...as I said earlier, it's my pleasure to be of assistance.

Different designs and different brands of snorkels are available for different vehicles. "Branded" ones like ARB cost a pretty penny, but there are far cheaper Chinese snorkels, too. These serve the job perfectly fine, although their plastics are prone to fading over time. Before heading any further, let me ask you a few questions...

What vehicle are you planning to mount the snorkel on?
Which engine are you running in the vehicle?
Do you want a "bell-type" snorkel (like the khaki pickup I posted above) or a "snakehead-type" (like the black FJ40)?
Branded or non-branded?

After answering these questions, you also need to know that installing a snorkel will mean that you're going to have to cut a hole in the fender for the intake. Some owners find this unacceptable (i.e., changing the genuine bodywork). If you're ready for that, you're ready to take the plunge!

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

I dont mind a bit of body modification, atleast until i know the other person knows what he is doing. I would definetly like the snake shaped snorkel...the bell type is more typical of combat type army vehicals. BTW sir, would it be practical to look for a spare fender, i mean so that the original stays intact? I am sure i could find a fender here in the "dump market". The vehicle the snorkel would be mounted on is a mmc pajero, 3 door sport, with a 4G64 2.4L I4 engine.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

and BTW i love your signature. Too bad i dont have children yet and my wife hates my 4x4 :)

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

I don't know for sure if there's an embargo on posting links to a different forum, so if I'm inadvertently breaking any forum rules...please do forgive me, in advance.

http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/4x4-clu ... ost3221998

This link will show you a couple of pictures of snorkels (long and short ones) fitted to comparable Pajeros (and will also give you some more input on the pros and cons of fitting them). As far as getting a fender is concerned, I don't think that's necessary, since you'll have to dent it and paint it to get it to match your ride. Too much trouble, methinks. Just make sure that your denter is very careful whilst cutting the hole in the fender for the snorkel inlet. Once it's fitted properly - IF it's fitted properly - there should be absolutely no visible flaws to mar the look of your vehicle. On the contrary, a well-fitted snorkel will invariably make the vehicle look better, IMHO.

And after reading your last post...my wife - who is currently peering over my shoulder, whilst I write this - has a triumphal look on her face as she says: "dekha na?! I TOLD you...ALL wives hate their husband's rides!"

Profile E-mail  

WOW! Nice discussion, bravo Fouad bro on such a nice collection.

I heard the "Spring Over Axle" mod being done on the Suzuki SJ410, it only gives 6-8 inches difference (I guess). Thanks for educating us on the FJ40.

I was thinking of converting the double cab thingy with the "dalla", but never knew that it can be really done! Also I was thing if the same mod can be done on the FZJ?? I mean the four door thing?

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

Mangloo Ramzani wrote:
WOW! Nice discussion, bravo Fouad bro on such a nice collection.

I heard the "Spring Over Axle" mod being done on the Suzuki SJ410, it only gives 6-8 inches difference (I guess). Thanks for educating us on the FJ40.
My pleasure, brother. Thank YOU for the kind words of appreciation. The SOA actually DOES give "only" 6-8 inches on the FJ40 as well. The 15-18 inches lift on the black FJ40 you see is a combination of suspension lift, longer shackles, body lift, and enormous tyres (these are 42 inch tyres, as opposed to "normal" 31 inch tyres).

Quote:
I was thinking of converting the double cab thingy with the "dalla", but never knew that it can be really done! Also I was thing if the same mod can be done on the FZJ?? I mean the four door thing?
If there is one thing that I've come to believe, it's that our craftsmen and technicians (perhaps "artisans" is a better word?) can do anything with sheet metal. To be honest, I've very seriously considered refurbishing the FZJ into a four door. The only thing that's stopped me is that it's a late model vehicle (2003), which is serving me perfectly well. You DON'T tamper with perfection...at least not too much! :)

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

FouadHafeez wrote:
I don't know for sure if there's an embargo on posting links to a different forum, so if I'm inadvertently breaking any forum rules...please do forgive me, in advance.

No such embargo in place here as long as it is of forums which are genuinely working towards helping and empowering end-consumers. :)

FouadHafeez wrote:
And after reading your last post...my wife - who is currently peering over my shoulder, whilst I write this - has a triumphal look on her face as she says: "dekha na?! I TOLD you...ALL wives hate their husband's rides!"

Actually it's not just rides. The list includes guns, hunting gear, gadgets, anything and everything which are in competition with them of attracting our interest and attention. :D Let them rejoice... little do they know how good we are at playing "the game". Lolz ;)

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

FouadHafeez wrote:
http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/4x4-clu ... ost3221998

Fouad sahib, there are no such prejudices and embargoes on TGF. We believe in knowledge sharing in an environment of mutual respect. Only thing that members have to ensure is that whatever they are quoting is as per the subject being discussed and is of educational value to other members.

Your understanding of offroaders is outstanding and there are many new things that I have learnt from your post in the past few days. Hope to see you contributing in other sections as well. :)

regards

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

@KBW

Once again, thanks for the kind words, but as far as my "knowledge" of off-roaders is concerned, I must differ slightly. I'm not very knowledgeable, at all. It's still, a perpetual learning process for me, as it is for anyone who professes to be an enthusiast.

(With all due respect to our members from abroad) There's a word which we often use here which is called "punga". This is a much-used slang; which covers just about everything encompassing dedication, motivation, inquisitiveness, interest, a willingness to explore, an insatiable curiosity, and an incurable enthusiasm.

Rather than being knowledgeable, per se...I think I'm more prone to off-road "pungas"! :)

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

FouadHafeez wrote:
(With all due respect to our members from abroad) There's a word which we often use here which is called "punga". This is a much-used slang; which covers just about everything encompassing dedication, motivation, inquisitiveness, interest, a willingness to explore, an insatiable curiosity, and an incurable enthusiasm.

Rather than being knowledgeable, per se...I think I'm more prone to off-road "pungas"! :)

:lol: well said.

@ LAGS, "punga", literally speaking, can be taken to mean "the itch to try out new things with something". In brief, it's "The ITCH". :)

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

FouadHafeez wrote:

We might have still been living as savages had this "punga" thingy not been there in the minds of our ancestors. I attribute bulk of the development that mankind has made over the millennia to this "punga" or "kera" or "itch", whatever you may call it.

And in my personal reckoning, "off road pungas" are far more productive than "in-house pungas" :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Thank you SA
Urdu, one word at a time.

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

KBW wrote:
FouadHafeez wrote:
...and in my personal reckoning, "off road pungas" are far more productive than "in-house pungas" :mrgreen:
My wife would likely say: off-road pungas and in-house pungas are NOT necessarily mutually exclusive.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

If a "Panga" is an itch, somehow the in-house itch is just there to stay. Now just three days back me and the Mrs had a nice long jalsa. My wife, talked through an entire movie, about the new lawn winter collection. Just then i get a message from a friend, asking me to check out the new pistol he had bought. All i said to her was my "friend got himself a pistol". The answer i got was, "its always about you and your hobbies right, It always will be." Sheesh the woman just talked 2 hours straight about lawn prints with a person who cant remember what color shirt he was wearing the day before and yet its still all about me. My father an ex-army officer always says "Its not true, that nature has no faults and anyone who believes that nature is faultless, is either insane or has'nt been married".

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

LOL. That was a nail hit RIGHT on the head!

Clearly, FK, your father is a very wise, very knowledgeable, very objective person! Salaam to you, Sir!

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

I just went through your entire thread from the line you posted here. What a learning exprience it was. And a beautiful creation the phantom. Would love to drive it someday. This is the kinda stuff wet dreams are made off :)

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

BTW Fouad sb, do you pictures of the sweetheart in action? Like going through a ditch or something like that. I have seen a pic of it standing covered in mud, but would love to see pictures of it going through it.

Profile E-mail  

@ FouadHafeez:
Sir, we really need to meet up! and thanks for the replies earlier!

One more question, extending the chassis, from where exactly is it done if done from the canter and not the trailing end?? and what kind of chassis rigidity problems (if any) will be encountered??

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

FK wrote:
I just went through your entire thread from the line you posted here. What a learning exprience it was. And a beautiful creation the phantom. Would love to drive it someday. This is the kinda stuff wet dreams are made off :)
I'm glad you enjoyed the read, brother. And any time you're in Pindi / Islamabad, we must meet and look at you indeed giving it a spin, one of these days.

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

FK wrote:
BTW Fouad sb, do you pictures of the sweetheart in action? Like going through a ditch or something like that. I have seen a pic of it standing covered in mud, but would love to see pictures of it going through it.
I have a ton of photos of the beast :) Not all of them are action shots, though.

I also DO have a rather brilliant video of the vehicle during a water-crossing (taken by a dear friend, on one of our excursions), but with YouTube currently down, I have no idea how to share it with y'all.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next