THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:43 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: Let's discuss 4x4s / Off-roaders / SUVs

TGF Managing Committee

We have alot of hunters on the forum. And in most of the pictorials i noticed alot of them driving 4x4s. I have been a huge fan of 4X4s, but never actually had the pleasure of owning one. Recently i decided to start off with a cheaper option to actually get the feel of it. I got myself a 1994 mitsubishi pajero, the 3 door model. Now since i dont have alot of exprience with a jeep, i would like to know from members who are well versed in keeping one,

1) How often should one change the oil and oil filter on a diesel engine?

2) What would be the best oil for a diesel engine?

3) What exactly does an intercooler do? Is it just a gimmick or does it serve a purpose?

4) If my vehical says Turbo on it, where can i find it? I know NOS comes with activate buttons but how do i activate a turbo?

I have a few more question, but i will post them later on. Dont want to get confused.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Lets discuss 4x4s.

Marksman

I don't know diesels much, and you're probably better-off asking these questions on a 4x4 or automotive website.
With that said, my everyday vehicle is an old 1972 Land Rover Series III. Lots of fixing and maintenance, but lots of fun. I do take it shooting every Sunday.

Did your Pajero come with an owner's manual? Questions 1, 2, and 4 should all be answered in it, and possibly 3 also.

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

Hi Fahad, just my personal choice, but I change the oil every 3-5000 km depending on how much dirt the jeep has been exposed to. At the same time, I clean out the air filter and change the oil filter every second oil change. I prefer to use Delo Silver. An intercooler lowers the temperature of the intake charge between the turbo and the combustion chamber. By doing so, it increases the density of the charge going to the combustion chamber, which means more fuel and more energy produced upon combustion for a given volume area. The turbo will be within the engine compartment. I am not familiar with the Pajero, but it will be a cylindrical object wrapped with a metal pipe. It will be connected to the intake manifold on one side and the exhaust on the other. It, being driven by exhaust gases, comes on by itself when the gases exceed a certain velocity. If you have a boost gauge, it will show when it is providing additional compression. Remember, though, it will not provide boost in no load conditions. That is, do not expect the boost gauge to move if you just rev the engine while in neutral. I hope I've not been too opaque!

TGF Expert Panel

I would like to make one comment about How I ended up buying a 4x4.
I was at the dealer with my wife looking for a New truck.
I was looking at 2WD trucks, and she kept looking at the 4WDs
I asked her why.
She said, You are going to use it to Hunt in the Back Woods arent you ?
And what if it is raining ?
I told her I dont need a 4WD because I never go Back that far IF it is Raining.

Her response was.
Yes, I know that.
But I never told you that I worry, that you are Back in the woods REAL FAR on a sunny day, And THEN it starts to rain.
How will you get back out THEN.

I listened to her and payed the extra money for the 4x4 and it has saved my Butt a few times sence.

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

LAGS wrote:
I would like to make one comment about How I ended up buying a 4x4.
I was at the dealer with my wife looking for a New truck.
I was looking at 2WD trucks, and she kept looking at the 4WDs
I asked her why.
She said, You are going to use it to Hunt in the Back Woods arent you ?
And what if it is raining ?
I told her I dont need a 4WD because I never go Back that far IF it is Raining.

Her response was.
Yes, I know that.
But I never told you that I worry, that you are Back in the woods REAL FAR on a sunny day, And THEN it starts to rain.
How will you get back out THEN.

I listened to her and payed the extra money for the 4x4 and it has saved my Butt a few times sence.

+1 :idea:

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Three of our four vehicles are AllWD or 4WD......just in case. When you need a 4x4 you will never regret having it.
That's my philosophy for guns also.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Thanx for the detailed reply batholith. No jhonny i did not get a user mannual with the car and as i said i am new to the 4x4 platform.
Comming back to batholith i clean my air filter with a blower every sunday. I have driven my vehical a total of 8k kms. I had the oil and oil filter changed right after i bought it even though the last owner claimed he had it done 700 km back. Then i changed the oil filter after 7k kms. Is there a fuel treatment that one could do for diesel engines? Like we have the teflon based oils for petrol cars.

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

A pleasure, Fahad. I don't use synthetic oils with my diesels nor any type of fuel additive and haven't felt the need. No harm in trying, I suppose.

Standard Shot

@fahad- when getting oil changes, make sure to use the correct viscosity oil and don't use synthetic or thin oils in well worn engines. I have a spare Kia grand in which the engine ceased due to using the new synthetic blend of repsol. After a lot of discussion and research, we found that the thicker oil which had always been used in that jeep forms a thicker barrier and when synthetic or lighter oil was used, it cleaned all the gunk left by the older oil but created more play.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

@ TX Shooter
As a former Mechanic, I have to totally agree with you.
If you start with OIL, Stay with OIL and do not switch to a Synthetic blend for the reasons you mentioned.
But if you start off with a Synthetic on a New Engine, then stay with it.
But I have never seen any advantage towards one or the other.
Engines dont know the differance as long as it is the type the manufacture recomends and is the proper Viscosity for you weather and driving.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Okaye now i would like to know how do i check the viscosity of the oil?
I mean the normal caltex or shell oil...is pretty thin. Then there is something like the slick oil, which one can almost scoop out with a spoon.
So is there some way off checking the viscosity of the oil or do i have to go with whatever is written on the packing. and in that case, what viscosity would be best? considering my average daily drive is around a 70-100 kms.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

@ FK Bro:

I would suggest that you also look at Mobil 1. Mobil 1 is normally used for cars who compete in rallies. A 4 litre can of Mobil 1 will now cost you around 4k. Best price and best quality can be found at the Oil market in Garden near Fatima Jinnah Girls College

Experienced mechanics check the viscosity of the oil by taking a small amount on their finger tips and by rubbing the fingers together. Do not go for Shell or Caltex because they are not designed for heavy vehicles.

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

Fahad bro, the viscosity index is given on the container. For instance, if it is a single viscosity, it might say SAE 40W. The higher the number, the higher the viscosity. For automotive engines, the highest normal viscosity is generally 50. Multigrade oils are suggested, that is, those with two viscosity indices. For example, SAE 20W-50. This indicates that the oil will behave like a 20 weight oil when cold and a 50 weight oil when hot.

TGF Managing Committee

batholith wrote:
Fahad bro, the viscosity index is given on the container. For instance, if it is a single viscosity, it might say SAE 40W. The higher the number, the higher the viscosity. For automotive engines, the highest normal viscosity is generally 50. Multigrade oils are suggested, that is, those with two viscosity indices. For example, SAE 20W-50. This indicates that the oil will behave like a 20 weight oil when cold and a 50 weight oil when hot.

+1

Profile E-mail  

Nice explanation batholith!

@ FK:
If you want to further read about motor oil (SAE) specifications, please read the following document and everything will be clear! ;)
http://www.ideas4ag-ed.com/uploads/3/7/ ... cosity.pdf

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Thanx for the info batholith and MR. Very useful link that you provided MR.

Now I come to the second confusion i have (and i do have quiet alot) Greasing. Is greasing of the bushes, shafts necessary for a jeep. I have never personally had it done on a car. But few of my friends emphasize on getting the jeep greased from underneath. My question is it necessary? and if so at what intervals?

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

@ FK
Greasing the Chassis and bushings IS Needed and should be done every time you have your oil changed, and maybe even once between your oil changes, considering the conditions of your roads and Off road driving.
Also the wheel bearings need to be regreased or repacked about every 20.000 Miles.
If you choose to do the work yourself, I suggest you get a " Service MANUAL " , For your Vehicle.
The "owners Manual" only gives you the High points of what is needed and when it is needed, and not the HOW TO part of it.

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

My Fav model

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

@rizshu bro, those Hilux's are difficult to kill!

But my favorite go anywhere, do anything vehicle remains the Moggie. It does tend to shake you half to death and bake what remains, though!

TGF Managing Committee

Batholith what do mean hard to kill? As in they are tough vehicals or vise versa?

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

Fahad, they are ridiculously tough vehicles. The one in the pic above is still going strong. Fixed up again.

Post subject: Re: Let's discuss 4x4s / Off-roaders / SUVs

Site Admin

I share the philosophy, as many people do, that a person's firearm and his vehicle should be durable, reliable, well-maintained and capable to serving the purpose, whenever and wherever the need arises.

Having taken care of half the affliction, now is the time to start addressing that part of it which relates to "Vehicle". To put it simply, I am thinking of transitioning from a sedan to a 4x4 and therefore, invite members to discuss the things that a newbie (to the world of 4x4s) should consider while choosing his first 4x4.

To make it easier for everyone to guide me (and other newbies), I'll try to set out the priorities/preferences first:

1) Durability / Sturdiness = High Priority

2) Parts Availability (Locally) = High Priority

3) Ease of Maintenance (Local mechanics/technicians) = High Priority

4) Looks = Low to Medium Priority

5) Comfort = Medium Priority (I understand that there's this inherent trade-off in this department when you move from a sedan to a SUV/Jeep/Truck).

6) Fuel Efficiency = High Priority

7) Purpose of Use:

- This'll be my first 4x4 and I intend to use it primarily for educating and familiarizing myself with what a 4x4 offers.

- I am 34 with a small family (one kid 4 years of age) so do not require a large seating capacity. A 3-door will be my preference.

- This'll be in addition to a home car - a Swift 1.3L (which will be mainly in use by my better half and sometimes myself).

8) Pocket Depth

For a 4x4 on which I intend to learn the traits and familiarize myself with what is involved in keeping / maintaining a 4x4, I am willing to invest between Rs. 1 mil to 2 mil on something which I will keep for four to five years and then move on to another Truck.

9) Newer versus Older Models

I do not have any issue in going for a 90s toughy as long as there are parts available and trained labor around (in Karachi).

I will appreciate an education on 4x4s from experienced and knowledgeable 4wheelers here. Don't need one-liner "Just go for Vigo" or "Vigo kay bharam hain" kind of responses, but rather, logical detailed guidance which can help me transition into the world of 4x4s.

I'm all ears :)

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

@SA:
I have owned two range rovers (model 1988) and absolutely in love with them, reasons they have being using coil springs for a long time so even if you go for an older model it will give you a very nice ride both on/off road. However the spare tire sits in the boot taking up valuable space and in case you have other gear loaded in the back and need to change a tire then it could be a problem. Other then that no issues with the vehicle we have towed boats, drove in rivers, mud, rocks just throw it in anything and it usually comes out on its own.

The key thing to remember is that whatever you buy make sure that the vehicle haven't seen any alterations, they will give you the worst headaches you have ever had in your life.

1KZ is a very popular toyota engine and they have been putting it in most of their SUVs, however given the rising fuel prices it is getting difficult to put it in use on a daily basis 7 to 8 km/Liter is considered a good mileage and if your engine is in bad shape it can be 5 to 6Km/L, you can do the math how long you run and how much fuel it would cost.

Toyotas are by far the most popular offroaders in Pakistan with labor and parts easy to find (remember BJ74 is being used by military and they dispose them off from time to time feeding parts availability etc) However which engine to look for is a tricky one 2lt is least expensive to run but with a trade off (less power)

FJ40 and BJ 74 are excellent vehicles because of their short wheelbase, however the seating behind is face to face instead of facing towards windscreen on long drives the passenger sitting behind will get tired. Another down thing is that you will have to get off from your vehicle to engage 4x4 by turning the key on free wheel hubs, oh and they have leaf springs, FJ 40 should be around 400,000 to 550,000 and BJ74 800,000

Hilux tiger are comfortable good looking offroaders with a price tag of around 1.3 M, good thing about them is you can easily throw and pick up your stuff from its back, stand in it for hunts etc etc, I think in this model you can engage your 4x4 by remaining inside the vehicle However Long wheel base, 1KZ and leaf springs should be considered before making your purchase

Then comes Pajeros in term of popularity and like FK you can seriously also consider a 1994 model, in two door models rear seats are comfortable as compared to LC's with a 2.8 L engine they are powerfull enough to do the job and easy on pocket as compared to 1KZ

Apart from above I think Suzuki SJ40 long chasis is a nice vehicle as well, they are light weight and powered by a 1300cc petrol engine so quiet and economical to run, however like FJ40 rear passenger seats are an issue for long runs, and similarly to engage 4x4 you have to get off the vehicle.

Unimogs are least popular but as already mentioned they can take you anywhere as long as its not mid air or 20 ft underwater drive the key thing would be to remember which lever to pull with so many around, However they are cheap and can be bought from military auctions with few buyers you can expect to pay around 300,000 or so, hell expensive to run and the steering is not hydraulic so you need pretty strong arms to run it.

If I had my way I would go again for a range rover because of its ride comfort however finding an original 2.5Tdi is an issue, can discuss more at range tomm if you like

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

I would agree with isk. Had the pajero not been my first 4x4, i would have opted for a hilux tiger or perhaps a common rail. you can engage the 4x4 from inside the car in a hilux tiger, and with a few body mounts looks very very sexy. Range rover afterall is a range rover. I would'nt be wrong in calling it the grand daddy of perhaps all the 4x4s out there. and as far as your budget is concerned the sky is the limit, you can find an exceptional ride between 1-2 million.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

@ISK i wanted to know something brother. My engine is running very smoothly, no back compression, i change my oil every 2500-3000 kms. But sometimes when i gun my engine in the 3 or the 4th gear...i can see light smoke comming from my exhaust, but it stops as soon as i put the 5th gear. What could be the reason for that?

Profile E-mail