THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:43 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Let's discuss 4x4s / Off-roaders / SUVs

Sharp Shooter

Saif wrote:
AK bro
What mileage are you getting out of your Syrf in city and highway?

@Saif..............it depends...........on your trigger foot! :lol:

If you have the patience to do hypermiling and can control the RPM's with a light foot, you can even obtain 9-10 km/Ltr, highway. And I've tried this couple of times.

But with a 3.4 ltrs petrol engine and a lovely torque, you can imagine, I'm normally on autofire! :lol:
Means, roughly 7 on highways, and interestingly, the same in city, since my foot here is cuffed up, lol!

I have pics of fillings and refillings at gasoline stations during my ride from Galiyat to Gilgit to Hunza Valley and back again same route, somewhere in my camera and with odo readings too. Will find and upload here for better judgement.

Regards.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Oksye new members here who are into offroading kindly put your expriences here, so questions from newbies like me can be asked.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

@AK47 bro,

Thank you for the details. I look forward to below, as well as plenty of eye candy..

AK47 wrote:

I have pics of fillings and refillings at gasoline stations during my ride from Galiyat to Gilgit to Hunza Valley and back again same route, somewhere in my camera and with odo readings too. Will find and upload here for better judgement.

Regards.

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

Site Admin

A few questions for 4x4 gurus:

a) What advantage does an automatic 4x4 has over a manual 4x4; and vice versa?

b) For someone looking for a < Rs. 1 mil workhorse, who is not into serious off-roading, wants a second (not primary) vehicle for outdoor excursions only, how well would the following fit the bill?

Toyota Hilux D/C 1992 to 1998 models (Manual Transmission - 2400cc to 2800cc diesel)

[Image courtesy of www.pakwheels.com]
[Image courtesy of www.pakwheels.com]

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

SA wrote:

Personal preference thats all.

b) For someone looking for a < Rs. 1 mil workhorse, who is not into serious off-roading, wants a second (not primary) vehicle for outdoor excursions only, how well would the following fit the bill?
3f 3 door RkR, 70 series prado, 2nd gen Pajero, nissan patrol and last suzuki jimny and again everything will depend on personal preferances

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

Got my dream ride a few days back!
Have to admit that I got it in a haste just because I couldn't resist and wait, had to get my hands on it.
Superb ride, original body and engine, 4.2l diesel auto. Avg 6.5km/ltr in city
Just require some minor maintainace work!

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

qwertypoiu wrote:
SA wrote:

3f 3 door RkR, 70 series prado, 2nd gen Pajero, nissan patrol and last suzuki jimny and again everything will depend on personal preferances

Thanks qwertypoiu. You're always helpful and very prompt.

The reason(s) why I'm leaning towards the Hilux Turbo are:

a) Availability of parts (a lot more hilux in use as compared to pajeros, prados, NPs and Jimnys);
b) Availability of trained technicians (Toyota Service Centers 300+ all over Pakistan AND experienced local mechanics);
c) High storage capacity - it's a pickup, can load upto 8 to 9 people easily or loads of cargo which is not possible in 3 door SUVs;
d) Hilux' proven history.

I understand the "personal preference" aspect, but was wondering, is there any reason why I should NOT consider Hilux Turbo for the stated purpose.

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

devilfalcon wrote:
screenshot on pc
Got my dream ride a few days back!
Have to admit that I got it in a haste just because I couldn't resist and wait, had to get my hands on it.
Superb ride, original body and engine, 4.2l diesel auto. Avg 6.5km/ltr in city
Just require some minor maintainace work!

Nice ride. Would really like to see a detailed review and your experience on it's performance. What was the price tag? and how by how much do you expect the minor works would set you back?

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

IMO this would be one of the best options out there. They are track proven, very off and on-road worthy, would be a bit heavy on the fuel considering they are older engines, but that can always be replaced. Good ground clearance, can haul alot of weight. Best part it has a track proven leaf spring suspension. An automatic would be personal preference, it would allow you to keep one hand free other things on long tiring drives, where a person would like some extra energy for the way :D

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

@ FK,

are you referring to the LC or Hilux?

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

The Hilux buddy. Not a big fan of LCs. Though people swear by it, I find it a bit too big for everyday driving. I even find the newer VIGO models a bit big for my taste. The older hilux models were trim. I am looking for a 2001-2002 model referred to as Tiger or commonrail. I had a brief stint with a 1997 hilux, a friend of my father left it in our garage and keys with me for a while. They handle well on nooks and corners and have the tendency to esclate nicely, atleast that one peice did. Driving it around rain water higher than the front bumper was a stint, since that had a snorkel i believe i could have taken it a little deeper. A with a 4x4 activated, they will pretty much climb over everything and still come back in one peice. The rear seats on the older models leave alot to be desired. They are bench shaped, designed in one peice, but i am sure they can be replaced after a bit of body modification.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

I am not a big fan of double cabins. For much of the time, the extra pick-up space would not be utilized. I personally prefer

1. Hilux Surf '96 model (or similar)
2. LC series 70/75 5 door model
3. LC series 80

All in auto transmission mode.
I am yet undecided on diesel vs petrol, as while petrol is cleaner, diesel has its own torque and towing power.

However, when considering Hilux pickups, people somehow tend to prefer the older models ('92-98) over the VIGO for more serious off-road use. May be it is just hear say without any authenticity. I am not sure.

TGF Managing Committee

I read somewhere that the newer diesel engine are designed to perform with diesel (fuel) which is not available in Pakistan, the quality of diesel available in Pakistan is far inferior than what is available in developed countries, however, petrol is a different story thats why these days petrol powered newer model SUVs are favored over diesel powered.

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

Saif wrote:
I am not a big fan of double cabins. For much of the time, the extra pick-up space would not be utilized. I personally prefer

1. Hilux Surf '96 model (or similar)
2. LC series 70/75 5 door model
3. LC series 80

All in auto transmission mode.
I am yet undecided on diesel vs petrol, as while petrol is cleaner, diesel has its own torque and towing power.

However, when considering Hilux pickups, people somehow tend to prefer the older models ('92-98) over the VIGO for more serious off-road use. May be it is just hear say without any authenticity. I am not sure.

They tend to prefer those 92-98 models because they're one-third the price of new VIGOs.

For me, Surf and LCs are good options if I want a SUV as my primary family vehicle. I'm looking for a secondary vehicle, something exclusively for hunting, camping, outdoor excursions. I checked out a well-maintained 98 Hikux Tiger today in Malir Cantt and the owner was willing to part with it for 1.05 mil. One can replace the engine, get new seats and with the other necessary maintenance can still have a decent reliable SUV for well under 1.5mil, at around 1/3rd the price of a new model VIGO. But that's just me .

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

isk wrote:
I read somewhere that the newer diesel engine are designed to perform with diesel (fuel) which is not available in Pakistan, the quality of diesel available in Pakistan is far inferior than what is available in developed countries, however, petrol is a different story thats why these days petrol powered newer model SUVs are favored over diesel powered.

In last 5 years, diesel prices have gone from 60% of petrol to 110% of the same reference. hence, the attraction of economy is gone. This is one of the main driving factors here.

@SA
For just offroading,hunts etc as primary use, a LC or a Surf is equally good. But a pickup truck is a better option for hunts in particular.

TGF Managing Committee

Kindly recheck, the 98 models were not referred as tigers. Tigers and common rails have a entirely different look and slightly bigger than their older counterparts and have different engine setups also. and to the best of my knowledge tigers came with 3.0 and 3.2 ltr engines and the older 92-98 models were 2.5 lts engines but i could be wrong on this one. They have standard factory fitted fender extenders and will not have bench type rear seats.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

And if it really is a tiger, 1 million is a pretty good price. Older models would not be worth that much, but would again depend on how well they are maintained, the condition of the engine and the how fast the owner wants to sell. I know a person with a very heavily modified gen 1 pajero, asking for 1.2 mil for the vehical and has been doing so for the last 2 years. he absolutely refuses to come down a penny. his exact words are "i will set it on fire, bury it in the ground or have it squashed but if i have to sell it i wont sell it for a Rupee less than 12 lacs".

@Saif though diesel prices have gone up alot, but when comparing and SUV on diesel to SUV on petrol you have to remember the running cost of both the types would vary alot. A SUV petrol would give a very good run but it will be very heavy on fuel. Diesels give a pretty decent mileage considering urban driving. Well maintained diesels can give upto 12-13 kms/lts. I used to get that from a 1.3 ltr indus corolla. I use a bottle of redex every fuel fill. Intially my diesel would smoke like crazy, then after about 20 or so Kms it gets okaye. If you diesel has a intercooler, it would be adviseable to clean it every 10k or so kms, atleast in city like ours.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

FK
Agreed on diesel costs and milage. I am not exactly decided on which fuel type to select. .

Shooter

SA wrote:
qwertypoiu wrote:
SA wrote:

Thanks qwertypoiu. You're always helpful and very prompt.

The reason(s) why I'm leaning towards the Hilux Turbo are:

a) Availability of parts (a lot more hilux in use as compared to pajeros, prados, NPs and Jimnys);
b) Availability of trained technicians (Toyota Service Centers 300+ all over Pakistan AND experienced local mechanics);
c) High storage capacity - it's a pickup, can load upto 8 to 9 people easily or loads of cargo which is not possible in 3 door SUVs;
d) Hilux' proven history.

I understand the "personal preference" aspect, but was wondering, is there any reason why I should NOT consider Hilux Turbo for the stated purpose.

Only down side of hilux is people demand alot for hiluxes, 92-3 model busted over used with 2l engines for 8.5 lacks etc and nice ones maybe around 12-15 which is quite high Thats all.

Tiger is 2002+ model and has problems due to common rail thingy... 1 to 1.5 million.

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

Thanks qwertypoiu for the info :)

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

qwertypoiu can one swap a 2400cc diesel engine on a pajero gen1 with 2800cc or 3200cc diesel without any major modifications on the body. Are there any engines that can be bolt swapped with a original 4D56 2400cc TDi engine?

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

FK wrote:
qwertypoiu can one swap a 2400cc diesel engine on a pajero gen1 with 2800cc or 3200cc diesel without any major modifications on the body. Are there any engines that can be bolt swapped with a original 4D56 2400cc TDi engine?

I am exactly not sure but i believe 2800cc one can be swapped with little bit of engine mount modifications, secondly i was looking at Pajeros with toyota engines and it seems promising if done correctly i am aware of 1 gen pajero with 3l engine swap using pajero original gear and is mated without an adaptor plate. 2nd gen with 5vz-fe, 3s-ge and 1uz-fe swap last but not least 1 gen with 2jz-gte which is now under going 1uz-fe swap as well, 2 pajero evo's one 2jz-gte and other 3uz engine for Rally purpose. Some crazy stuff

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

So Saif, since you've taken the plunge, do share your experience of the transition, choice of 4x4, reasoning and after-thoughts. :)

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5