THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:47 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: Let's talk BOOTS > hunting, tactical, hiking...

Marksman

The right boots can be a life saver is terrains such as mountains, hills, desert, mud, etc. Each terrain and temperature requires different types of boots. For example, a boot made of pure leather will get really heavy once it gets soaked and will require a hell lot of time to dry. Goretex material on the other hand dries quickly. Also of importance is that the material of which the boot is made should breath so that the moisture goes out and the feet remain dry.

Equally important are the socks that you wear. You can get pure wool sock or a mix of wool polypropylene. Polypropylene is also capable of breathing out moisture and keeping feet dry.

The run-of-the-mill ordinary boots are capable of keeping us comfortable in temperatures not lower than 3 degrees or so, but when temperatures as low as minus 10 to 15 degrees, one cannot survive in these ordinary boots.

Experts suggest that the boot must have a heel and should not be flat, the toe should be flat or well rounded with a short welt (the rim that extends beyond the toe) should be very hard so that when you get a toe hold it does not bend causing the foot to slip and cause a fall.

Other advice includes:

- Never wear synthetic leather boots when out hunting.

- Never wear thin nylon socks, go for pure wool, pure cotton, or polyprop wool mix

- Always break in your boot which you want to wear when going hunting, by wearing it all day for a number of days prior, so that you know whether you are comfortable or not.

- Never dry your boots in front of a fire or a heater, use balled up news papers

Boots is a very technical subject and I invite senior members to chip in with their knowledge for everyone's benefit.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Let's talk BOOTS

Site Admin

Here's a pair I bought around nine months' back - The BlackHawk Warrior Wear Desert Ops Boots.

Surprisingly lightweight, made of breathable material, water resistant CORDURA® panels and abrasion-resistant suede upper for rugged durability - these boots offer great value for money. I have used this pair during several range visits, have ran wearing them, worn them in the rain and once tried them even on the soft sand we find on the beaches of Karachi - throughout, it was a comfortable experience.

The Vibram® “Multisport” oil-resistant TC4+ compound outsole has large, open lugs for traversing debris and provides excellent traction on irregular surfaces.

It has a fully gusseted tongue which prevents debris from entering the boot. Toe reinforcements and extra layer of suede in heel provide abrasion and scuff resistance. It's steel shank provides additional support when under load of full pack. It has Dri-Lex® inner lining which wicks away moisture and dries quickly. It's washable, antimicrobial, custommolded OrthoLite® footbed provides quick-drying, breathable cushion that is highly abrasion resistant and will not break down or lose effectiveness over time. It has high-abrasion-resistant, non-woven “back counter” reinforcement lines inside of heel.

It is available in 4.5 - 6.5 Medium and 7-15 Medium and Wide

Company price is around US$ 150.

All in all, if have found them to be extremely light, durable, and reliable. They keep my feet exceptionally dry, from both sweat and wet conditions. They grip every surface imaginable including steep terrain. I recommend these boots to everyone who are looking for a pair a durable and reliable survival boots. They are a good investment.

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

SA, that's actually the same boots I have! I also wore out two pair of the 5.11 HRT tactical boots in desert sand and desert digital camouflage, seen here when new. Very old picture. They are comfortable and light, great boots.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Nice SA.
What color are these? Desert tan or Coyote Tan?

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

Standard Shot

Very nice shoes sir. Though you have quoted the internet price, any idea about their price and availability in Pakistan?

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

@ Saif,

Desert Tan

@ Viper,

Being retailed @ PKR 16 - 18k in Karachi.

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

Thanks SA. 16-18 k is too much i think. :(

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

about $160 with shipping if imported/purchased through web.

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

TGF Expert Panel

I just bought the Danner Light Hunter all leather hand made in USA , it has 200 grammes Goretex and is ideal for upto (- ) 5 to 10 degrees C.
I have the Bates Tora Bora all Gore Tex it is a great boot for tough rocky areas when bearing weight.
Then I have Meindel boots which are good for trekking and mountain hunting.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Ghazi wrote:
I just bought the Danner Light Hunter all leather hand made in USA , it has 200 grammes Goretex and is ideal for upto (- ) 5 to 10 degrees C.
I have the Bates Tora Bora all Gore Tex it is a great boot for tough rocky areas when bearing weight.

Danner Light Hunter all leather

Bates Tora Bora all Gore Tex

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

Congrats Ghazi Sb.

KBW also got the same Meindel boots (hiking ones) while I was with him shopping. I would request KBW to please post a brief consumer review of it with us.

Profile E-mail  

Regional Ambassador - Multan Chapter

Corn Stalker by Rocky USA, got it from Cabelas 2 years ago.

This is my bargain, not very proud of it, too heavy to walk, 600g of Thinsulate boils ur feet even in snow and way too heavy

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

I have had a very poor experience with Rocky Boots. I bought three pairs from Texas in 1997 September. The other two pairs were for my two hunting buddies , we went Urial hunting in November same year and on the very first hunt all three pairs lost the soles completely. They were supposed to be be Gore Tex and had fancy stickers all around in the packing , we finally found these were el cheapo chinese stuff re packed and even an old scrounger like me got taken in because of the extensive advertisement that very model and make of boot got.
I learnt to never deviate from old brand names and buy the most quality stuff you can and you will never be let down. In boots the Danner, Zamborlene, Scarpa, Miendel are real good. The North Face used to be very good, alas they have also gone el cheapo chinese. These days there are lots of fraud boots and unless they clearly say Made in USA or Made IN Italy or Germany these are made in China.
This is a common fraud like you will see on some cheaper Leupold scopes, Leupold Oregon USA . On the expansive Leupold models you will see Made in USA.
Again I have come to know about Remington Rifles ,there are rifles which do not say made in USA and are made in various eastern european countries, I had one with a stamped metal safety and the extractor malfunctioned all the time, I had others Remingtons with solid safeties and excellent action and barrel quality and accuracy. I have come across various models and makes of pistols which even say made in Germany or made in USA but the slides are made in Phillipines or China, the extractors and frames cast in south america and these are then finally finished and assembeld in the countries selling these.
One has to be very careful and dig into the Forums on the .
net to find out about the product and scrutinize it very carefully before buying and avoid being taken for a ride
I have experienced in the US same model of Boots , or Pistol or Rifle one on sale at 1/4th price and no warranty and the other similar stuff at 3 or 4 times the price with complete warranty even free renewal and that is the real stuff.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

:text-goodpost:
Thanks for your valuable feedback. I was considering a pair on sale for 20 USD with all the bells and whistles. Now I know why it is so cheap.
Ghazi wrote:
I have had a very poor experience with Rocky Boots. I bought three pairs from Texas in 1997 September. The other two pairs were for my two hunting buddies , we went Urial hunting in November same year and on the very first hunt all three pairs lost the soles completely. They were supposed to be be Gore Tex and had fancy stickers all around in the packing , we finally found these were el cheapo chinese stuff re packed and even an old scrounger like me got taken in because of the extensive advertisement that very model and make of boot got.
I learnt to never deviate from old brand names and buy the most quality stuff you can and you will never be let down. In boots the Danner, Zamborlene, Scarpa, Miendel are real good. The North Face used to be very good, alas they have also gone el cheapo chinese. These days there are lots of fraud boots and unless they clearly say Made in USA or Made IN Italy or Germany these are made in China.
This is a common fraud like you will see on some cheaper Leupold scopes, Leupold Oregon USA . On the expansive Leupold models you will see Made in USA.
Again I have come to know about Remington Rifles ,there are rifles which do not say made in USA and are made in various eastern european countries, I had one with a stamped metal safety and the extractor malfunctioned all the time, I had others Remingtons with solid safeties and excellent action and barrel quality and accuracy. I have come across various models and makes of pistols which even say made in Germany or made in USA but the slides are made in Phillipines or China, the extractors and frames cast in south america and these are then finally finished and assembeld in the countries selling these.
One has to be very careful and dig into the Forums on the .
net to find out about the product and scrutinize it very carefully before buying and avoid being taken for a ride
I have experienced in the US same model of Boots , or Pistol or Rifle one on sale at 1/4th price and no warranty and the other similar stuff at 3 or 4 times the price with complete warranty even free renewal and that is the real stuff.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Shariq wrote:
Ghazi wrote:

Danner Light Hunter all leather

Bates Tora Bora all Gore Tex

The Bates Tora Bora is the same boot but the Danner I have is different it is actually Danner Hood WinterLight 200 gram boot, it is all leather and hand made in US, it is a bit taller. My mistake I wrote incomplete name of the boot.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Danner Hood WinterLight 200 gram boot

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Shariq wrote:
Danner Hood WinterLight 200 gram boot

Yes this is the boot I bought in Texas. It has only 200 grams thinsulate insulation under pure leather and has a very wide temperature range at which it can be used but it is not for colder than (-) 10 degrees celcius in any case. Very comfortable ,long lasting and with Vibram soles with a mid cushion sole. The sole can be easily renewed when one can wear it out. I have worn out Vibram soles hunting in Baluchistan mountains and Northern areas and salt range when I was much younger but I think now I would only be able to run it in.
Thank you Shariq you seem to be expert on boots which is commendable, only a mountain hunter knows what it means,

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

:)
Thanks a lot sir. Believe me, I am learning the basics from you.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Well, some time back I bought Meindl Safari shoes and they are doing very well....... so far.
These are the shoes I am talking about................. :)
http://www.meindl.de/english/

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

My best mate spends a lot of time tramping around Fiordland with his job, so he really punishes his boots every week. He swears by his Meindl's, I believe he's had the same pair for years now, so they are holding up really well. I think they were NZ$400-$500

They were a bit too pricey for me given I probably only really punish mine a few times a year, so I settled on a pair of Vasque boots, for about NZ$250, which are working out really well for me. I do need to hand rub in a bit more water proofing gunk though, I've been a bit lazy in that regard...

Kind regards,
Mark

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

I feel at home with CATS. I have been wearing these since i was in the ninth grade, and i just cant put anything else. I keep 3 pairs in stock. they are as durable as the machines CAT people bulid. Recently got their Generators. Comfy and sturdy. And not very expensive either. One of the pairs which i use for casual wear or tough use, has been with me for 4 years and i guess it will last another year or so.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Got three pairs of Bates 10" boots for myself and my son in desert tan and chocolate. Nice shoes; look like very comfortable shoes to wear during hunting trips and hiking. Very nice sole.

They cost around $199 but I got them cheap. Made in USA :ugeek:

These are my Meindl AirActive Safari shoes in desert tan. Very very good shoes which I have so far only worn during hiking trips and on the range. Haven't yet seen a hunting trip though. Made in Germany, cost around 200 $ but I got them a little cheap :twisted:

These are my old faithful Altama Desert Tan Rocky shoes. Very very tough and comfortable shoes. I have worn these in dozens of hunting and hiking trips. Keep the feet very relaxed. Made in USA, cost around 175 $ but I got them very cheap. :twisted: :twisted:

These are Land's End hiking shoes. Very tough, quite comfortable with a very robust sole. Keep the feet warm during winters.

And these are my NorthBend short hikers, again very robust shoes with a tough sole. Have been using them since years.

Profile E-mail  

Sir, these are some pretty nice shoes! Really liked the Meindl ! :D
Where you get them for "cheap"?! Can you share?!?

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

I like the fact that you got them " Cheap "
Look really good.

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

KBW almost always gets his quality stuff at a very cheap price. You have to be with him while he's shopping to benefit in similar manner. ;)

Profile E-mail