THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:14 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: Roast Teetar tips

Shooter

I have found that for best results when roasting teetar one should leave on the skin (only remove feathers) and slow roast in a preheatd oven.

screen capture software

snagit

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Roast Teetar tips

Site Admin

Looks really tasty :)

Thanks for sharing.

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

BADurrani wrote:
I have found that for best results when roasting teetar one should leave on the skin (only remove feathers) and slow roast in a preheatd oven.
Absolutely right. In fact this doesn't apply to partridges alone but to many other birds, including poultry chicken. However, many of us in the cities are not aware of it rather some of us feel as if skin is like guts, something dirty that has to be removed. I always try not to remove skin of the birds.

Some of my guests once refused to take the bird game meat which had skin on, saying that it has not been "cleaned properly". I tried my best to explain that skin is the most tasty part in many birds but they wouldn't eat rather one of them (a youngster) said that he feels like vomiting after seeing a BBQ teetar or a dove which had it's skin on :shock: It looks so weird, you know..... one of them said :roll: :roll:

Who teaches such stupid things to some of the city guys :confusion-questionmarks: :confusion-questionmarks:

Thanks a lot for the wonderful pics, BADurrani sb and welcome to TGF. Indeed it looks yummy. :text-bravo:

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Looks very good. I fully agree that skin is the tastiest portion in many birds :)

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

I never knew birds with skin tastes better , next time I'll ask not to remove the skin to experience some good change in taste .

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Usama wrote:
I never knew birds with skin tastes better , next time I'll ask not to remove the skin to experience some good change in taste .
Start that with at the poultry chicken that you buy. The seller will recommend to remove the skin, because removing the feathers only will take him lot of time. You will have to find a place that sells chicken with skin. :)

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

I think poultry with skin on is easily available in most super markets these days without any wait time.

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

Thanks guys for your kind words.

not only does the skin taste good but it also helps the meat cook without getting to dry.

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

I would remove skin from grouse/teetars and dip them whole in a pan in yogurt, dilute with water so that the bird remains inside the yogurty solution, add salt, crushed peppers, mustard if you like, vinegar,red chillies, crushed garlic/ ginger, little bit of garam masalaa if you like and leave it for few hours to marinate.
Put this in a pan and let it cook slowly till it is almost dry but some gravy is left , add few green chillies and oil to fry for browning.
Cook and let me know how you like it with bread or rice?
The best vinegar is made from sugar cane juice at home if you have access to sugar cane juice? The ones available in market are mostly synthetic and no good. Rice vinegar is also good for health.
I have kept 5 large grouse breasts for KBW and waiting to get out of this deep freeze to start normal activities. Even today, windchill is around -30C!

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

huntingbuddy wrote:

I have kept 5 large grouse breasts for KBW and waiting to get out of this deep freeze to start normal activities. Even today, windchill is around -30C!
ahm ahm...... yum yum. Sir I will be back from Washington DC on 9th and would be with you immediately. :drool: :drool: Can't wait. Hope it will get a little warmer in Missisuaga by then. It was -24 with windchill when I left Lester Pearson today :shifty:

Profile E-mail