THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:57 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: BBQ Talapia..

Marksman

Talapia is a very common fish which is found everywhere in Pakistan, except cold areas. Many times we don't catch this fish because there is no pleasure in catching Talapia. In our area it is normally small size but I have heard that in Sind, it grows quite big.
Talapia is a very tasty fish and if prepared properly, it is one of the best but most of us don't know about it. We eat talapia BBQ very often and we like it very much. Sharing here for the members :)

Ingrediants:
:arrow: Talapia... as many as you can get
:arrow: Spices: Salt, garlic powder, cumin powder, ajwain, red chilies
:arrow: Lemon juice
:arrow: One spoon olive oil.

Marinate Talapia in spices and Lemon juice for about 2 hour.

BBQ on very low heat. Make sure that the coal is not burning red but like ash which produces low heat. Keep turning it regularly so that the outer skin is not burn and cooking is uniform. Three large size pieces are not Talapia, it is Rohu.

BTW, talapia was tastier than rohu for sure :shifty:

Image[/URL]

BBQ Talapia is ready, served with chicken macaroni. :drool: :drool: :drool:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: BBQ Talapia..

Sniper

Yummy.. excellent.. last time BBQ went bad all due to HIGH red hot coal and burned the lobster meat.. but nevertheless was edible. These look like cooked to real tasty condition.

Zain jee .. you are really really lucky to have a chance to have time to your self and spend what life REALLY is.. YOU have NO idea what level of enviousness is rearing in me... from your cooking i mean..
;-)

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Graffiti in ruins of Pompeii (in the basilica): The one who buggers a fire burns his p....

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

really bro ur lucky to have time for ur self as atiq bro said....look awwwsumm + yummmmmmy = best holiday.
never had a chance to do fish bbq :(

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Atiq bhai, if you see the second pic which shows the fish being BBQ, the coal just look like ash. That is the trick. No burning red hot coal....let the coal burn out and look like ash which is still producing gentle (not strong) heat. Fish meat is very tender and does not need a prolonged cooking. Just a little heat is needed and it is cooked all the way. Keep turning the fish so that the cooking is uniform. Boy, I am hungry again :drool: :drool:

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

@KBW, in the last 10 years or so of my professional life, all the time has gone to waste completely.. am sure as soon as WHEN I saw these cooked fish. Must take at least a month out to refresh my mind out and become sane ONCE again.
On Sunday going to Fish harbor here and getting some Sea fish such as gisser (Sea Bass i think) or the grouper fish and then BBQ according to the recipe here.

If am not wrong then the coal is heated to red hot and then cooled down to ash looks but still hot and then the fish is placed. RIGHT?, There is something else.. the marination time.. should it be long or short?

and lastly how to check that it is cooked properly?? the only test that comes to my mind is poke it with a tooth pick. any tips on that???

Graffiti in ruins of Pompeii (in the basilica): The one who buggers a fire burns his p....

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

atiqmassan wrote:
If am not wrong then the coal is heated to red hot and then cooled down to ash looks but still hot and then the fish is placed. RIGHT?, There is something else.. the marination time.. should it be long or short?

and lastly how to check that it is cooked properly?? the only test that comes to my mind is poke it with a tooth pick. any tips on that???
Atiq bhai, we let the coal burn completely and when it appears that it is almost done and the appearance is like ash, we put the fish on it. It should not be very hot, just enough heat which does not burn your hand if you keep it there for a couple of seconds but does make you feel the pinch of heat. And yes, you can put a tooth pick to check that it is cooked. But please do remember that fish meat is very tender. It might still be un-cooked and the toothpick, being sharp, might penetrate all the way. Better is to check it by breaking a small part with finger. If it breaks clean (khasta), it is cooked and if it doesn't or sticks with the fingers, it's still needs a few more minutes.
In case of fish, that too a small one like Talapia, even one minute negligence is enough to burn the fish. One has to stay focused. We keep applying our typical oil sauce that we make from olive oil, lemon, garlic, some salt and chillies. It keeps the skin soft and doesn't let it burn, besides providing a very nice flavour.

Happy cooking :drool: :drool:

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

Will take this recipe and try to replicate it asap. Thanks a lot for setting me on the straight path.
:-)

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

nicely done mate, marine BBQ is always awsome, I prefer to marinate in lemon juice, salt, black pepper and nothing more you get to enjoy the true taste of the fish, served with lemon butter sauce

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Looks delicious, and well done. Thanks for sharing.
Is the scale small and numerous or a single large one?

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

Marksman

Talapia is one of the tastiest fish...especially when BBQ...,
Nice share Zain.

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Thanks everyone :text-thankyouyellow:

@Saif
There is one central bone as in all other fish. The lower part of abdomen has many small size bones which are quite sharp also. But they can be easily removed and rest of the fish has no bones. :)

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

BTW, did any of you try BBQ talapia? This is a very common fish and can be found easily at many places. Just have to collect some local knowledge about it :)

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Wonderful post, mouth watering recipe. Good photography. I am amazed how I missed this post? Very nice recipe I will definitely try this. Generally we don’t give much importance to talapia due to abundance & easy to catch but indeed this a very testy fish.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

TALAPIA!!!

Its a small sized monster...!!!
Talapia is one of those fishes that can survive in extreme PH water levels, and is a hard nut to crack when you want to get rid of them. This fish is so invasive that people actually use it to control the plantation and weed in ponds.

I have on hand experience with the Carps, Talapia and Pangasius. I was doing fish farming on 1200 acres of land for the Rashadi Family in a remote area called Jaati. I had developed and maintained the entire fish farm for a couple of years. The main focus was on Carps as they have a good selling rate, but Talapia...man they grow and multiply fast!!!!

Talapia from the day it hatches, it can get a weight of upto half a kilo in just 4 months time. At the age of three, spawning is common in Talapia, which means that if you find one single Talapia of up to half a Kg weight, be rest assured that there will be abundance of this fish in the vicinity. Every three months, the population multiplies exponentially, and there comes a time when the survival of the fittest comes in play, when the planktons and weeds vanish and the fish turns on their youngs...There are various ways of culturing Talapia, one is called Mono-Culture farming, which is the method I had used on my farm...Talapia sell for about 60 rupee per kilo in the fish market, but its quantity makes it a very profitable business. One can fit in up to 8000 male tilapia in one acre of pond, and harvest them in 4 months time. A Talapia hatchling will cost you less than 50 paisa, but when you sell it out, each would be worth a minimum of 60 rupee (you can do the math easily). Now taking into account that you might have more than just one acre of land, and in my case I was farming Talapia on 200 acres, I had to sell out 1,600,000 Talapia every 4 months.

I had attended a seminar organized by USAID almost 2 years back, and they advised on a term called "Intensive Farming", whereby one can accommodate 16000 Talapia in a single acre...

I had made the owners more money in 2 years than I could possibly make in 2 decades being a Professor of Computer Science & Telecommunication!!!

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

(1,600,000 x 60 every 4 months) x 3 x 2. Holy s**t.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

FK wrote:
(1,600,000 x 60 every 4 months) x 3 x 2. Holy s**t.

FK - brother this is just the Talapia for 2 years on a 200 acres... it calculates up to Rs 5.76 Billion

I had another 1000 acres that had carps and catfish, for which the math goes insane...

No wonder the rich is getting richer by the second, and the average and poor seems to be stagnant or declining...

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

atiqmassan wrote:
@KBW, in the last 10 years or so of my professional life, all the time has gone to waste completely.. am sure as soon as WHEN I saw these cooked fish. Must take at least a month out to refresh my mind out and become sane ONCE again.
On Sunday going to Fish harbor here and getting some Sea fish such as gisser (Sea Bass i think) or the grouper fish and then BBQ according to the recipe here.

Just a suggestion - Ghisser (grouper) is better for gravy dishes, where as for BBQ, I would prefer Queenfish or Mackerel, or...if you can get your hands on a yellow fin tuna...Another fish that is a delicacy for BBQ is a Cobia, which is quite rare in the market, but believe me I have had over 50kg of Cobia caught on my Penn Senator, and was BBQed for more than 2 months. Get the fillets made, marinate it and freeze it. Every time there's a party, just need to get it out and on the grills :D My personal favorite for BBQ is a Queenfish and a Red Snapper, provided that the size of the fish is at least 4KG or above...snapper with fillets and mackerel with center bone cut pieces...

The fishes I have mentioned, are easier to spot for their tenderness as their flesh is in flakes. One can easily use a spoon or a fork to check if the flakes are detaching easily or not, hence decide whether its cooked enough to be taken off or not. Then again, everyone has their own likings of fish, rare to well done... :)

With Ghisser, if you are making gravy, what you MUST and NEVER FORGET TO do is to get the head done by the person who has gutted the fish for you and put that in the gravy for taste. This fish's head carries a taste that will blow your taste buts as far as gravy is concerned...

One more thing that I have tried, and I am sure this has not yet been tried by anyone, courtesy of a Queenfish that knocked off my lunch on a trip and was only left with salad and one small bowl of beef haleem. Beef Haleem, with Cobia finger fillets fired in olive oil...topped with dry fried onions, spices, lots of lemon and as per taste salt...Now, the idea is not to eat the haleem with the finger fillets, the last and the most important thing of this dish is cucumbers. You have to use cucumber slices as spoon and scoop haleem with finger fillets as addition in each bit...! Each bite will give you a new taste (specialty of cucumbers). I have experimented with this so much that, if lemon is poured on haleem the entire taste will be different, and if its poured on Cobia fingers, it will taste out of the world..!!!

There are various other ways of having fish with the normal food which I'll share in due future...

Cheers...

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Well these look like some really nice ideas. Would sure try them whenever I could. Thanks for sharing Naveed sb. :)

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

A pleasure KBW Sir!

Profile E-mail