THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:35 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Six_Shooter's Misfires

Thanks Usama and Saif.
@ Saif, you mean no trigger/hammer thing?

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

No, I meant that we need a sight pusher to realign the sights. If we use a punch and hammer to pound the sight in place, it could damage the bluing. No change in the competition hammer plan..

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

Nice shooting SS! Nothing wrong there ... but before you go and fix the sights of your handgun, check your grip, either you're holding too tight or a bit light ... try both and see the results, if its still off by the same mark, have the sights adjusted! ;)

Happy shooting! :D

Profile E-mail  

Thanks MR. I may also give it to the Holy Gunsmith for sometime, he is known to have a magic touch, oh the, "Placebo effect." :D

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Nice groups and well explained by KBW.

Profile E-mail  

Thanks Naeem!

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

image upload

Mangloo Ramzani wrote:
Nice shooting SS! Nothing wrong there ... but before you go and fix the sights of your handgun, check your grip, either you're holding too tight or a bit light ... try both and see the results, if its still off by the same mark, have the sights adjusted! ;)
Please read my comments while looking at the target above.

Ability to make smaller groups consistently is the litmus test of a shooter's ability. SS here is shooting fine groups, that means the shooting basics are being followed pretty well otherwise he cant shoot small groups. Whatever he is doing, he is repeating it consistently and uniformly in every shot. That actually is good shooting and the bottom line here is the result achieved. If the result is ok than everything is ok and good result is not hitting few in the bull rather making smaller groups consistently, wherever on the target they may be. So in my view he should just shoot a few more targets without any change to his shooting style / technique whatsoever and if the same criteria persists than adjust the sights. This is what sights are meant for, isn't it? However, if next time he shoots small groups consistently on left and then consistently below the bull then we will talk further on this issue. But till then, he must not change his technique as in my view he is shooting pretty well. Just shoot a few more targets with same technique.

Sometimes, certain shooters have a peculiar habit which comes to them naturally but it may not be the most correct thing to do from teaching point of view. It could be a minor folly because had it been a major flaw, they wouldn't be able to shoot small groups consistently. Over a period of time, they adjust with whatever it is, adopt technique that naturally compensate for the error (if at all we can call it an error) and start shooting well consistently. Its good enough. Now, if at this stage we ask them to change and adopt something which in our view is more technically correct; we may end up seriously affecting shooter's confidence and performance. If the error was that big and glaring, he would have not been making small groups consistently in the first place.

Profile E-mail  

@ KBW sir many thanks for the valuable comments. You are right I need to shoot more with this weapon before making some adjustments (If at all). And many thanks for the encouragement. :greetings-waveyellow:

Profile E-mail  

KBW wrote:
image upload

Mangloo Ramzani wrote:
Please read my comments while looking at the target above.

Ability to make smaller groups consistently is the litmus test of a shooter's ability. SS here is shooting fine groups, that means the shooting basics are being followed pretty well otherwise he cant shoot small groups. Whatever he is doing, he is repeating it consistently and uniformly in every shot. That actually is good shooting and the bottom line here is the result achieved. If the result is ok than everything is ok and good result is not hitting few in the bull rather making smaller groups consistently, wherever on the target they may be. So in my view he should just shoot a few more targets without any change to his shooting style / technique whatsoever and if the same criteria persists than adjust the sights. This is what sights are meant for, isn't it? However, if next time he shoots small groups consistently on left and then consistently below the bull then we will talk further on this issue. But till then, he must not change his technique as in my view he is shooting pretty well. Just shoot a few more targets with same technique.

Sometimes, certain shooters have a peculiar habit which comes to them naturally but it may not be the most correct thing to do from teaching point of view. It could be a minor folly because had it been a major flaw, they wouldn't be able to shoot small groups consistently. Over a period of time, they adjust with whatever it is, adopt technique that naturally compensate for the error (if at all we can call it an error) and start shooting well consistently. Its good enough. Now, if at this stage we ask them to change and adopt something which in our view is more technically correct; we may end up seriously affecting shooter's confidence and performance. If the error was that big and glaring, he would have not been making small groups consistently in the first place.

O KBW sir, tussi to mind hi kar gaye ...

Please re-read my comments, like you I also suggested SS to shoot some more (albeit suggesting he try different grip pressure on his next range visit), and like you I also said there was nothing wrong with the target (meaning the group size, although a bit off), so I dont know why you "quoted" me and said the same things again. :think:

My question is for SS now ...
- How many times have you shot this weapon to date? (by 'times' I mean sessions, not the 100 rds count you've given, just to be clear ;) )
- Was the result every time the same, or this was one rare occurrence?
- Please answer these first so that next time my comments are to the point and not mis-read.

Now from my own experience.
I started out Air Pistol Shooting a few months back, in one of the practices I noticed all my groups were going a bit right of the bull. I hadnt changed any of the settings on my Air Pistol so I was concerned. After consulting with a senior shooter at the range, I changed my grip pressure and was back on track.

Below is a target to prove my point

5 shots each with very light grip pressure (right group) and moderate grip pressure (left group), shot in one go, keeping same POA.

Profile E-mail  

I shot 6 rounds with GPs 6" Rossi (.32 S&W L). Man what a treat it was. (Thank you GP).
Except fo rone flyer which was because of the surprise break (It has a rather smooth trigger) all five rounds landed in 0.5 inches.
WOW!

screenshot captor
The shots marked in Silver are not mine. :D

:dance: :clap: :violence-pistoldouble:

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

MR, bhai why should I mind it. I was just trying to point out that sometimes, we start getting the medicine when we are not sick. That is the whole point and I might not have been able to convey it properly. Stay happy bro :D

SS, now that is nice shooting. You are shooting very well nowadays. :text-bravo: What was the distance?

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

Wow. Nice shooting Six_shooter.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Awesome results SS.

Though you don't need any training but wish if you were part of our team keeping the upcoming competition in view.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

NR wrote:
Though you don't need any training .............
Each one of us needs training. Even the World #1 stays a world champion because of his training and doesn't remain a champion anymore when he relaxes on training. Initially, we train to learn basics and than, we train to maintain or to improve our standards and this stage never terminates :)

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

KBW Sir,
Very right and the sentence should be re-phrased as "Though you don't need much of training vs. rookies...."

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Excellent shooting SS.

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

Sharp Shooter

SS Sirjee you are always welcome :) :)

Profile E-mail  

@ Saif, DF and GP thanks.
@ NR, thanks for the compliments. Brother I am still learning, but "thori bohat confidence ki mar bhi dene hoti hai na". :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Today's performance! :)
pictures upload

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Excellent results. IMPO results can be better if full framed gun is used, right?

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

Nice groups Sirjee!
Good shooting.

Profile E-mail  

Thanks DF and NR.
@ NR, you are right but since this is my primary SD gun which I carry also so I have become very attached to it. I love to shoot this little monster.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Good group with Mak. Nice shooting.

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Good shooting :)

When did you come BTW :)??

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Nice shooting Sir.
BTW good to see update in your thread after january 2014.

-Spartan-

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next