THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:37 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
 Post subject: Re: 'I Still Can't SHOOT Straight' by Saif

Marksman

Saif wrote:
thank you GP and Braveheart bros.

Braveheart, you are MIA for some time now.

Thx Saif bro... yes I will be back very soon.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

HMR wrote:
With your scores, you'll win nearly all amateur competitions. Heck, you may win some in pro category too :)

I was right!!!!!!

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

What a thread!!!

Saif Brother, your shooting is extraordinary, or should I say the basics are very well engraved into your instincts...

HMR, how come you dug up an year old thread out of the blue? :P

Cheers...

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

@NG
I visit Saif's shooting thread for inspiration. He is an umbelievably good shooter. How he shoots so well with so little practise amazes me.

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

With so little practice !!!

As far as I know, he used to (and maybe still does), hours and hours of dry-firing practice, the required physical fitness workouts (muscle in the right places, stamina for breathing control, etc) along with hours and hours of chaating KBW and Ghazi sb's brains to extract what ever he could from their experience and knowledge.

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

SA wrote:
With so little practice !!!

As far as I know, he used to (and maybe still does), hours and hours of dry-firing practice, the required physical fitness workouts (muscle in the right places, stamina for breathing control, etc) along with hours and hours of chaating KBW and Ghazi sb's brains to extract what ever he could from their experience and knowledge.

Now that must be really tiresome!!!

Nevertheless, well worth it...and an honor to have such people with us to look up to when the need comes...

Cheers brothers...

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

SA I said little compared to professional shooters who are paid to shoot well. They follow the same routine but with practise of thosands of live rounds more at range.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

less or more practice, I think some people are just gifted to be able to aim effortlessly....

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Well you can check Saif's progress in his shooting thread. Not that gifted in the begining.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

I have been going through his and KBW's thread for a while now...and yes I can see how they have gradually developed their aim...

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Really extra ordinary results. This is right practice improves performance. But some people like Saif bhai have God gifted talent to use and control their brain in multi tasking. Its not an easy job but with practice one can achieve the goal.
Marvellous Saif Bhai.

-Spartan-

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Saif is gifted no doubt but he has really worked hard, WITH A CORRECT FOCUS, to reach this stage. He has the ability to pick essentials out of a heap of things and then work hard to achieve the mastery over them. MOST IMPORTANTLY, Saif kept his mind on the right track all the time, remained patient, learnt from his mistakes and did not try to rush up with the things. He understood it correctly that all good things come to those who are patient and determined.

I see a similar potential in NG and the only thing that could prevent him from following the footsteps of Saif is an incorrect mind mindset and desire to jump across the time to achieve something instantly. He will never be short on technical skills I know. I am sure he is very mindful of this...... but he has to keep reminding himself about it every now and then.

regards

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

I don't know how I missed the above post. My bad...

Hands up completely - I have a very long way to go. What Saif Bhai has achieved is extraordinary, and not many people have the talent or the chance to get to this level of excellence. I feel lucky to have been compared on the level, and it really does mean a lot. A LOT...!

KBW brother, I'm just sat here for the last 10 minutes reading your post and thinking what to say any further, and honestly, I'm speechless...

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

I have been occupied in professional as well as personal commitments over the last year and a half, and could not contribute much. I did shoot a bit in these months, and participated in a few competitions; performance varied from poor to very good, depending on how I handled the pressure. Its amazing how pressure can effect focus and make one forget the very basics !!

I have been away from precision shooting again for a few months, and intend to get some practice in coming weeks.

All below are at 25mtrs, single hand, with the TSX, except one 5 shot group with the X6. Well, it got me interested for a while..but the price..

MAY 2014

This was the month we prepared for the competition at Karsaz, where my performance was very mediocre. The preparation was pretty decent though. Match pressure took its toll !!

Below is a 5 shot group with the Sig P226 X6. I only dry fired twice, and then shot this group. I can say I was not even trying with the gun. It was not zeroed for me, hence the group is higher. But amazing accuracy.

Back to TSX..

JUNE 2014

Confidence was low after a poor match. I was all over the place, almost. However, did better in 2nd inter club event, and gained some confidence. I recall NG was amazing in this event. Where is he nowadays?

DEC 2014

I think I shot just a bit in Aug and Nov, one session each, as I had a small accident of the foot, and developed an infection, which took quite some time to heal. Then by December was when I started to return to shooting.

JAN 2015

Found some good rhythm in January. All this time, I was mostly shooting around 180 ish single hand with the TSX.

Below group was while zeroing the TSX for a different ammo. Group is one of the best I have shot. I never shoot these when the gun is zeroed!

APRIL 2015

This was perhaps some of the best I had shot in a year, better than the 187 target I shot last. Grouping is amazing, and both targets are about 190 if centered. However, I need to perform at the same or higher level in match situations to be competitive at National level.

This is slightly low and right. If adjusted, its 188+

This was 2 weeks after above. I over adjusted the sights. If zeroed, 190+

This was after zeroing the above result !! Much better I say.

I have lately done some IDPA shooting and enjoyed it much. I will focus to maintain a balance between precision & rapid shooting for pistols, as well as to begin some serious rifle shooting, starting with .22LR bolt action @50mtrs. I will try to keep the thread updated regularly.

As far as comments on above precision shooting, I have realized that I am still not good enough with trigger control, and lose focus on quite a few shots. Its not easy, and gets more so difficult on match days. I will add, the matches in which I performed poorly, my mistakes taught me more than what I could learn in a year of practice. I am honest when I say this.

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

Thanks for sharing Saif. By all standards this is excellent shooting, indeed. But off course when You are competing with yourself there's always room for improvement. And about the X6, well you should go for it.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

SS
Thank you for the encouragement !! I will look forward to improving whatever I can within my capacities, and also contemplate about saving up for the X6..

Sharp Shooter

Good to see some targets on the forum. Everyone is lost including myself. I am also away due to personal commitments.
Saif - this is a very good comparison and great shooting too. Better handling match pressure will greatly improve your performance as you have proved that you shoot GREAT!!

Well how were the practical shooting sessions? Any learning points we all can learn from?

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Wajeeh
Thanks bro
I need more matches to get accustomed to match pressure, and how I react to it in different ways on different days ! Sometimes its the adrenaline, and sometimes just focus on basics that goes out the window.
Practical shooting sessions were just the basics. Draw, double taps, weak hand shooting, target transitions etc.

Master at Arms

Great shooting Saif.

That motivates me to restart shooting. Can you imagine last time I shot a pistol was in May 2013 :roll:

BTW, I don't see NG around. Is he not shooting nowadays?

Profile E-mail  

NG is out of "range" of any shooting range! :)

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

@KBW
Sir thank you. Yes, you need to pay more attention to shooting. Its been over 2 years now.

TGF Expert Panel

Last few months, I have started shooting rifle a bit, and below are some range sessions.

FIRST RANGE TRIP, 25TH OCT 2015

Shot the CZ550 Varmint 308 (wood stock) for the first time. Have to really learn the basics of rifle shooting. I zeroed at 50mtrs and moved out to 100.

Rifle: CZ 550 Varmint (Wood Stock) 308Win, Leupold vx3 4.5-14x40mm, varmint reticle
Distance: 100 Mtrs (110 yards)
Technique: Prone, front bipod rest
Ammo: LC M80, surplus (150 gr)

GROUP SIZES
1st Group: Circles (not pictured completely). 3"
2nd Group: Squares, 3" (slightly less than 3")
3rd Group: Triangles, 1.1" (1MOA !!)
4th Group: Hashed square, 1.9"

Encouraging start, I say. A long way to go. I need to be shooting consistently under 1.5" at 100mtrs before I move out to 200 or 300mtrs. I was not very comfortable or consistent with cheekweld. Will need some doing on my part.

SECOND RANGE TRIP, 8TH NOV 2015

I stuck to 100 mtrs, and shot 7 strings of 3 shots each, and eventually managed to be consistently about 2" average group size. I was, in between groups, trying to get a decent zero as well. Which I did, in the end, but 3.5" high at 100 meters.

Rifle: CZ 550 Varmint (Wood Stock) 308Win, Leupold vx3 4.5-14x40mm, varmint reticle
Distance: 100 Mtrs (110 yards)

This was the first group, and not bad at all. Just needed adjustments, which I did over the next few groups.

This was the best group of the day. I shot two groups of about 2" in between, not pictured.

Last picture is the final two groups I shot that day, under 1.5" both. I got a couple of groups over 2", but most were under 1.5", and one of them under 1".

THIRD RANGE TRIP, 20TH DEC 2015

100 METERSb]

Rifle: CZ 550 Varmint 308Win, Leupold vx3 4.5-14x40mm, varmint reticle
Distance: [b]100 Mtrs (110 yards)

Ammo: POF M80, surplus (150 gr)

The group size was a tad under 2", and I had been shooting that for the last few sessions (3 sessions in all including this one). Occasional group size was sub MOA in the past, but not consistently.
I then moved to 200 mtrs (219 yards). Below is the group without any adjustments from 100 mtrs. The drop was around 3.7", more or less as advertised in most charts. The POI is different from where it was last time, but so is the ammo!

200 METERS

Distance: 200 Mtrs (219 yards)

Group size was 1.35" center to center, which turns out to be 0.6 MOA. Pretty impressed I was. So impressed, I moved to 600 yards bay, where some senior shooters were preparing for an upcoming competition. I had to use a used target, but below are the results.

600 YARDS

Distance: 600 yards
Technique: Prone, front sandbag rest, rear 'wobbly' sandbag rest

As mentioned, I had to use a previously used target. My first shot, after 40 clicks for elevation (10 MOA, 60"), and no adjustment for windage, missed the target by a few inches to the right. I gave a few clicks, and then the fired sighter shot is marked as '5'.

I then shot my first group without any adjustments, and it is marked as '6'. I gave 3 clicks to the right, but perhaps there was more impact of wind than I had ever experienced prior to this.

THE RANGE

THE TARGET

GROUP SIZES AT 600 YARDS

1st Group: Three shots, marked as '6'. 5.2" center to center, 0.87 MOA
2nd Group: Three shots, unmarked. 4.9" 0.82 MOA

The 10 ring is 6".

Getting Sub MOA at 600 yards, twice on the same day, that too with surplus ammo, well, I am impressed with the rifle. Particularly considering my very limited experience. The sandbag rest did help, the gun was much more stable than with a bipod. Boy am I pleased. The 550 varmint is amazing indeed.

Sharp Shooter

Good to see you shooting Saif. Ahan Rifle this time. Very nicely explained about your shooting process. Well having no knowledge and experience of rifle shooting so it will take sometime to comprehend.

All the best!!

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

Good Luck Saif and need to ask an innocent question (Masoomana sawal). Wasn't it better to master at a shorter distance then gradually move to longer ones.
This is what we have learn't from seniors and thought this might applies to rifle shooting as well.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

NR,

Breathing, consistent grip, trigger squeeze, etc are carried on from pistol. There are other factors in rifle which I need to learn, cheekweld, shoulder force, wind etc.
Yes 600 yards is more than 200, but the arrangements at 600 yard range were better with sandbag rests for front and rear. The bipod on my rifle is not exactly stable, and it is easier to shoot with a stable front and rear rest combo. Besides, I actually wanted to try the TSX at 600, but the rifle results were so good, I simply forgot..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17